Dogomania

My heart is broke, the girls are fighting again.

A while back I spoke of how my girls were fighting. Many of you gave me great advice and I tried it. Unfortunatly it hasn't worked. In the past they have drawn blood on one another. Ro always said that is wasn't going to work and as much as I hate to admit it he is right. :( Yesterday the fight was so bad. Xavier for some reason thought he was going to be the hero and break up the fight. BAD idea. I have no idea what he was thinking. Well we probally know what happend when he tried. The girls got so angry that they both bit him on each arm (As most of you know he just received stiches from a few weeks ago when he was playing with Asim.) My poor son!!! As much as I love my dogs my son's health will come first! Please unless you are in my shoes do not bash me. I came here for support not to be bashed. I have to find a good home for Patti. The reason I have picked Patti is because she is the most aggressive. She always growls when the other two walk by her. She does not want anyone to pet the others. She growls at us when we pet the others. I feel that she would be most happiest as the only dog. This is probally the hardest decision that I have to make but the fighting just doesn't seem to ease up. Thank you for listening to me!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, all I can say is that I'm sorry for your very difficult situation. I do know of many Rottweiler breeders and enthusiasts who have had to make a similar choice when they've had dogs who have not gotten along, like GSDs, who they like seems to be very dependant on their personalities and since they are large powerful dogs, when they don't like another dog, it poses a serious risk.

In the end though, your child's well being *is* the most important and I think everyone might benefit from placing Patti in a loving experienced home. It would decrease on tensions with the dogs and your family. I wish you the best of luck.

I think you are doing the right thing to rehome one of the girls. I know it is very sad for you to have to do this but I agree, your son comes first. Heck, even if no children were present, I would think it best, for you own sanity!
Something I have always wondered, perhaps I am crazy, often thought, what if a strong, heavy leather muzzle was securely put on each dog and they were allowed to duke it out without stopping. They would not be able to bite each other but perhaps they might settle an issue? Would anything be solved? Or would that just keep the aggression going? I've wondered about this before with other dogs who just could not seem to settle who is top dog.
I had a friend whose dog continually started fights, her vet suggested a rather radical procedure that actually seemed to help. Just the tips of her dogs canine teeth were filed off, she had flat top canines! Vet told my friend that this procedure usually resulted in the dog backing down their aggressive behaviour, not sure why, and not something I personally would think to do. I have NO idea if something like this is truly a fix for anyone, just passing along info.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation :( ...I know it must be difficult, but you've tried to work with them and the fighting isn't getting any less. Its just not worth taking the risk.
Re homing one of them is probably the best thing for your family, AND Patti...your son is very lucky that he didn't get hurt any worse than he did...I hope he is ok. It is better to make the decision to find her a new home now then wait for something tragic to happen and have to make the decision to euthanize.

Is there anyone in your family that could take Patti as an only dog? If not I would contact a reputable rescue....they could help you find a suitable home for her.

Best of luck

For your son's sake you are making the right choice.
I agree with the others to seek out Rottweiler rescue clubs in your area...or perhaps contact your dogs orginal breeder and explain to him/her what is happening...most breeders are only too willing to take back one of their dogs and do their own temperment testing and find the "right" home. If you have lost touch with your breeder contact a local Rottie breeder and seek their advice.
If it werent for your having children then perhaps you could take the time to work through this with a qualified animal behaviorist. Its just too risky when you have a child.
Good luck,

Nobody will bash you for making that decision, and I applaud you for doing it, I know how hard it is :( . I don't know where in MA you are, but here's the link for the Northeast Rottweiler Rescue group, maybe they can help place her.
[url]http://www.rottrescue.org/[/url]

Guest Anonymous

I'm so sorry to hear this, but you are doing the right thing.. and i dont remeber who suggested it, but the Rottie Resuce route is a good way to go. Good luck *hugs*

I'm really sorry you're going through this - It must be very hard on your and your family...

Please don't bash me as this is an honest question - I don't know anything about rotties...

Why would anyone try to rehome a human-aggressive dog that is large enough to take down a human - Who has lashed out and bitten a child in the past?

Is human aggression an accepted trait in rotties? Is this considered 'normal' behavior?

The only breed I really have experience with are APBTs - And I know in this breed human aggression is NOT tolerated by responsible owners. Maybe things are different with rotts (due to being bred for a different purpose, etc)...?

:confused1:

[quote name='JaquelineC']I'm really sorry you're going through this - It must be very hard on your and your family...

Please don't bash me as this is an honest question - I don't know anything about rotties...

Why would anyone try to rehome a human-aggressive dog that is large enough to take down a human - Who has lashed out and bitten a child in the past?

Is human aggression an accepted trait in rotties? Is this considered 'normal' behavior?

The only breed I really have experience with are APBTs - And I know in this breed human aggression is NOT tolerated by responsible owners. Maybe things are different with rotts (due to being bred for a different purpose, etc)...? [/quote]

I believe Sasha is correct....from what I gather, the dog is not human aggressive, it is just VERY dog aggressive...it is very dangerous to try and manually break up two fighting dogs...... and from what I remember, the PAST dog bite that you mentioned was more like an accidental "head butt" while playing....different situation...AND different dog, if I remember correctly :niewiem:

[quote name='Smooshie']...... and from what I remember, the PAST dog bite that you mentioned was more like an accidental "head butt" while playing....different situation...AND different dog, if I remember correctly :niewiem:[/quote]

Actually the 'past' dog bite I was mentioning was the one she wrote about in her first post in this thread - I don't know any of the background info on this person or his/her situation.

Thanks for trying to help me understand Sasha.

:)

Many dogs will lash out at anything in the heat of a fight. I do NOT classify this as human aggression.

The tendancy to do this is what makes breaking up a fight so dangerous.

I agree that having these two large and powerful females fighting for dominance in your house is very hazardous. If a knowledgeable home can be found, rehoming one would be the best option.

I know that doesn't make it any easier for you. :(

Xavier's past bite was from an accidental "headbuttt" from when he was playing with Asim our male. That was a total accident. Patti is the female that I am in need of rehoming. She is in no way human aggressive. She is dog aggressive. Her and Free fought in the past to settle the issue of dominance. I tried everything to prevent the fighting. It seems that with every fight the girls got stronger and stronger. Xavier was trying to break up the fight even though I told him on numerous occasions not to interfer. Unfortunaly X grabbed the girls collars/choke chains and the bites occured. HUMAN aggression was not an issue here. Everyone knows to never try to break up a dog fight for something like this will happen. It is not an accepted trait if a Rottie shows any signs of human aggression. Seeing that I am expecting another child in less that 8 weeks I can not afford to place my children's safety on the line. Xavier is 10 and I thought I taught him well and, that he would know better to leave the girls alone but what goes through a 10 year old mind is beyond me. So if my 10yr old got bitten during a fight what will happen to my baby if he is crawling or in a walker if the girls decide to fight? I got Patti through a private citizen. I was reading some website and I read " Female Rottie- 3 years old looking for new home. Husband sick can't take care of her. Will put her down if not placed in new home." I felt so bad for her that I called the number and picked her up. The woman swore that Patti was great with other dogs.NOT!!! 2 years later I have to find her a 3rd home. I hate it! I hate knowing that this is the 3rd home for her. I can't even look at her. I get so upset!!!!!!

You have to do what you know is right in your heart!! Some dogs can only be ONLY dogs. I am having a similar situation, but not to your extreem. Just try to place her with FULL disclosure to a home without other dogs. That will be the only way you will feel good about it.

Good luck, my heart goes out to you!!!

I think you're being realistic and level headed. Some people are in such denial (I don't mean here... just in general) that they believe ANY dog can be rehabilitated and retrained. Even if that's true, your kids come first and I do think the most responsible thing you can do is find the dog another home. Certainly, a home without other dogs, but sometimes it's hard to find a dog savvy person who doesn't already have a dog. Does that make sense? I'd also suggest making it a home without kids. The ONLY reason I say this is just because if on the off chance Patti ever, ever, ever finds a reason to go at another dog (through a fence, a visitor, anything) and a child in another family gets bitten in the crossfire, I think it could come back to bite you in the butt. I'm not implying that Patti is at all human aggressive, but since she already has bitten a kid who was trying to break up a fight, some people might consider that as aggression... especially with her breed. It's just not a chance I'd want to take.

Maybe a Rottie rescue will help. Most breed rescues try to be pretty responsible about assessing dogs and which homes would be good for them. I think that would be a good thing.

Good luck and I hope everything works out to benefit everyone involved.

I imagine these two female Rottweilers are close in age if they are fighting. That's why it is always advisable to have either a large age difference in the same sex or have 1 female and 2 males as the males do get along together better than females.

I have two females. One is 3 years old and the other is 10 years old...never a fight between them. My old girl is a rescue dog too and I would not have taken her if she was closer in age to my existing female.

I think, if you cannot keep the girls seperated 100% of the time then to rehome one of them is your only option.

It is heartbreaking to have to part with one of your dogs but if they can't be permanently seperated the alternative scenario is much worse.

Jacqueline C: Please do not attribute a dog fight to human aggression. Rottweilers suffer enough unwarranted bad publicity as it is. There was no mention of human aggression at all. Rottweiler owners get their back up the same as Pit Bull owners do when human aggression is wrongly attributed to the breed.

[quote name='DivineOblivion19'][quote name='MajiesMom']I'm very sorry to hear that. :cry:
I wondered every time I saw your sig pic how you got three Rottweilers to get along. :oops: [/quote]

[color=indigo]My friend has 4 Rotties. 2 males (3 years and 5 years) and 2 females (3 years and 4 years) and they get along just fine. :wink:
[/color][/quote]

That's impressive!

Are they working lines or show lines, just wondering?