Dogomania

My heart is broke, the girls are fighting again.

Please show me where I said that you were LOOKING for attention OR sympathy - Said you were GETTING a lot of sympathy, and the tone of your post DOES sound like you're making yourself out to be the victim, but I never said you were posting for that reason.

I was responding to Goo, that's all. Read the first post I made on this thread, I wouldn't call it 'negative' - I didn't start getting 'negative' until you continued denying responsibility for the situation - 'They didn't fight that much' - 'It usually wasn't that bad...' - Etc.

You were making it sound like this dog just 'went insane' one day and all of this stuff just happened - And that you were without fault in the situation.

I said from the beginning that I didn't want to be the 'bad guy' in this situation - But someone HAD to say SOMETHING at LEAST for the benefit of the people reading this thread and taking something away from it.

doG forbid that some newbie reads this and thinks that some dogs just 'go crazy' for no reason out of the blue, or that it's not a bad idea to house two aggressive dogs together (even after they show aggression towards each other) and then blame the dog and euthanize when the INEVITABLE happens.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look X - I realize that you DID NOT want this to happen, and that your heart must be totally broken.

I [b]DO[/b] feel for you in your situation, almost as much as I feel for your son and your dog - I am NOT trying to bash you or say that you are a stupid or horrible person.

We ALL make mistakes - We are ALL human.

The ONLY thing that I was trying to point out was that it was, in fact, a mistake on your part - And that I would hope you would realize that and learn from this horrible experience... Otherwise, the whole thing would really be for naught, as not even a lesson would've been learned.

No one else could bring themselves to 'go there' for whatever reasons they may have, but I am not trying to hurt you or make you feel worse. I'm just hoping that as you look back on this situation, you see what you could've done differently - That's all anyone could ask or hope for.

I'm sorry for upsetting you. I [b]DO[/b] know how you feel, at least to some extent, and my heart goes out to you and yours.

- Jaqueline

JC-
You are the "newbie" that doesn't have the whole story. If you go back and read my posts ummm maybe from a year ago you'll see that I have been working on my girls and they were doing fine until just recently! We are pretty much all adults here and we do not need you to " OPEN OUR EYES " for our own benefit or whatever your trying to do!
I have nothing further to say to you! Have a good day!

The problem I have with all this X is that you kept making the same mistake over and over again. The dogs did not get along, they kept fighting, your son kept getting bitten and[b] still[/b] the dogs had access to eachother and to your son.

Nothing changed so the situation just kept repeating itself. If you keep doing the same thing then why would you expect the outcome to be different.

I really do sympathise with you in this awful situation and am very sad that Patti will be put to sleep.

We can only hope that others who find themselves in this situation will take heed of this thread and never let dogs (particularly entire ones) who do not get along have any access to eachother at all...even in training. One person cannot handle 3 large dogs, two of whom want to fight eachother. A situation such as this requires a handler for each dog.

I have been in a situation where I had to keep two dogs seperated from eachother...it is not easy and it takes vigilance but it can be done.

A very sad outcome for the whole situation.

I think that she feels terrible enough without constant badgering by every single member. What you said has been said to her over and over again. I know that when Toto bit me there was blood everywhere he is a terrier and as I am sure you know they have very large teeth for a small dog. My family freaked out and wondered about the safety of my niece. I was so desperate that I was wondering if I couldn't just remove his teeth so that he could stay. Thankfully it was an isolated incident with a dog that wasn't in our family so it worked out fine. It sounds like that day she really thought she could help the dogs and it backfired. Let's just let it be now.

In actual fact Cairn I would say that people have been very understanding of the situation X finds herself in but we can't help but be sorry about the outcome of the situation.

I think you are taking a bit of poetic licence to say every single member has badgered X. They have not. That plus the fact that the details are posted on a public forum and people are entitled to their opinion whether or not you agree with it.

I don't see that your terrier biting you is in any way similar to what has happened with X and the Rotties. The subject is about her dogs fighting and her son inadvertantly getting bitten. Nothing at all to do with an owner bite from a small dog.

X has my sympathy and concern and I feel for her deeply but that does not change the facts of the situation.

[quote name='anne3149']In actual fact Cairn I would say that people have been very understanding of the situation X finds herself in but we can't help but be sorry about the outcome of the situation.

I think you are taking a bit of poetic licence to say every single member has badgered X. They have not. That plus the fact that the details are posted on a public forum and people are entitled to their opinion whether or not you agree with it.

I don't see that your terrier biting you is in any way similar to what has happened with X and the Rotties. The subject is about her dogs fighting and her son inadvertantly getting bitten. Nothing at all to do with an owner bite from a small dog.

X has my sympathy and concern and I feel for her deeply but that does not change the facts of the situation.[/quote]
I know I took poetic license and that not everyone is badgering her but your opinion has been expressed already it's not new the few that did is enough I think she gets it now. I know you care about the dogs but I just know she feels worse then you do.
And no my situation was not the same it just that I know the pain of even the thought of have to say goodbye to your dog. That is all I am saying.

[quote name='Tammy']It seems to be common practice here especially if the Animal Control is contacted.

When that dog went after my son I took her straight to the vet and had her put down. There was no waiting. BUT in the case of an actual bite they want you to wait the 10 days to see if Rabies develops.

Many times they will also just put the dog to sleep but still send the brain off for testing.

I've seen this with dogs having their shots and those that don't.

Tells me that they really don't trust rabies vaccination.[/quote]

No vaccine is 100%

The 10 day deal is that the virus is transmittable within 10 days of becoming symptomatic. While rabies can take months to incubate, they can only spread the disease within 10 days of breaking with it themselves.

[quote name='courtnek']I posted this before, there have been RARE cases of dogs who have been
vacinnated, and still carried the virus. "Typhoid Mary's" as it were...

the animal still needs to be bitten, howsever...[/quote]

I've never heard of an animal not ever developing the disease transmitting rabies, but I suppose it is possible.

There HAVE been cases of inhalation rabies, though, so a bite isn't always necessary. It's been found in people spelunking in bat caves. Fortunately, pets don't typically go spelunking.

You can also contract it from saliva in a wound. Rabid cattle often look like they are choking. People have exposed themselves by sticking their arms down the cow's throat trying to clear the airway. All it takes is a papercut...

that's true...I forgot about spelunking, I had seen that once. But bats are the primary transmitters, since they carry it but never get it, so it really doesnt surprise me. and while it makes perfect sense now that you say it, it might never have occured to me to NOT try to help a choking cow....but I can see how it would be transmitted that way too. I tend to think of rabies as being a "carnivore" disease, although I know logically other animals can get it too. Can deer? I asked that in another post, but it trailed off elsewhere.....

where does the word "spelunking" come from?

All mammals can be infected by contact with rabid individuals of any other species. It's interesting that prey animals and predators take on different forms of the rabies disease. For instance a raccoon is more likely to display the "rage" signs of the disease where a cow which is bitten by an infected raccon (for instance) is more likely to develp the "paralytic" form of rabies.
The point of entry of the virus determines how quickly the disease progression. For instance an animal bitten on the toe may be slower to exhibit the disease than another that has been bitten in the upper leg.

I was also reading else where that you should be on the alert if you ever see a bat out during the day, or in an area where bats do not usually go. Bats with rabies will not try to get away from you. This can make it especially dangerous as they are easy to approach.

Guest Anonymous

Speaking of rabies.... this was on the news a few weeks ago:

Transplant patients die of Rabies from infected donor

An Arkansas man died of a brain hemorrhage in May, and his organs were
transplanted into 4 other people. He showed no symptoms of any disease at the time. Turns out he had rabies, which no one thought to test for, and 3 of the people with the organs have died: the 4th one died on the table
during the transplant.

Here is a couple links to articles:

[url]http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm53d701a1.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/7/1/165139.shtml[/url]

And if you search goggle for "man rabies transplant", you'll find many more
articles.

Some scary stuff....