Dogomania

Sassy update

Sharpeigirl

Well Sassy isn't much better. She won't stand up, and her other hind leg is starting to swell :( Looks like they might have to go in & release some persure. And she hasn't eaten at all, and she's lost a bit of weight, which has me worried. They try to force feed her, but she fights so much they give up, so they have her hooked to an iv drip for some calories. I swear she's going to drive me crazy if she doesn't start showing some sign that she can walk. :( :drinking:

Guest Anonymous

oh dear, I hope she pulls through soon! But it's still early, I'm sure it's very hard on her. Just let her get some rest, and see what the vets can do, and of course all the TLC you can give her! :D :angel:

I'm sure it's just a bit too soon for her. She's been through a big trauma and lots of changes. When I worked for a vet we often asked people to bring in the dog's favorite treats from home and give them some private time in one of the rooms away from the other animals for a while. It often helped. The other thing to consider is that if there is swelling perhaps an infection is what has her down. I'm sure they have her on antibiotics but it's something worth asking about.

My thoughts are with you at this difficult time. Complications are almost inevitable with a big trauma like this but are none the less very frustrating! Hang in there!

Sharpeigirl,
I hope Sassy turns the corner soon and decides it's time to eat and get better. Are there any restrictions on what foods she can have? Some nice grilled chicken, a hot dog, even just a little bit of bread or pasta? Mine think bread IS the food of the dog gods but don't get too much, just bits here and there. They ADORE canned biscuits, especially Grands. They also love pasta. I think she needs something that will perk up her appetite.
Poor baby, she needs to be told how lovely she is and how loved she is and how she better darned well get better or she's gonna break a lot of hearts!
com'on Sassy girl!

Shar, time is a great healer. When you visit Sassy jolly her along. Dogs can be deep psychological creatures. When you see her be positive and don't tell her there is anything wrong with her. Don't feel sorry for her and it may sound harsh but if she sees you upset, then she will sink into a deeper depression and think there really is something serious wrong with her. Tell her to get up and ask her what shes playing at lying there feeling sorry for herself. She needs time but she also must make that effort with you.

If you are permitted to take her home even for a day or so, then do it!

Hang in there. I'm thinking about you two as is everyone else. :wink: