Dogomania

Luck/prayers/positive thoughts/whatever I can get

My little Peanut Poodlet is having some problems. I may as well 'fess up to my most recent mistake. :oops:

Nearly a week ago, I was at my best friend's house with Peanut. Now, her dogs get to chew up whatever junk is laying aroud. Old shoes, old rags, whatever she doesn't need anymore becomes a dog toy and it's never been an issue for her dogs. I'm always obsessive and paranoid and never let my dogs have anything I think they ought not. My friend always calls me paranoid. Well, one of her dogs was chewing up an old shoe last week and Peanut got a piece of it. I reached to take it from her, but thought, well, it's fairly good sized and she NEVER eats anything she ought not, so I'll just let her chew it. Wrong. She ate it. :-?

Anyway, my vet is a wait and see kind of guy, so we've been watching closely. Peanut had been acting ok, pooping, no sign of problems, so I thought she was fine. Last night and this morning, she started acting like she had to poop and wasn't passing anything and today she started puking... a lot. She's also passing a bit of bloody... goo (ok, I'll spare the graphics).

We've done several barium x-rays today, each about 15-20 minutes apart and, if she's blocked, it's only a partial blockage, but we just can't tell for sure if anything's still in there. Some stuff is passing, but there is a questionable area on the x-ray. She's having one more x-ray early in the morning and, depending on that, may be going in for surgery to see if the piece of shoe is still in there and retrieve it.

Please wish my girl luck. Peanut is my constant companion and goes with me everywhere. Even if you hate little foofy frou frou girly dogs (which, by the way, Peanut is not... she's a rough and tumble kind of girl), I'll take whatever I can get. Best case scenario is that it has passed and just really scraped and irritated her innards. Worst case scenario is that we're going in tomorrow to retrieve the shoe. She got sub-q fluids this evening and is under strict orders not to ingest anything at all, even water.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0XQAAAModYZ0aL9hNK8RP64ui!zjH56mA!dqQQVcp7lq495ZgCn7iCositkqzDUQ5Qnl9YWC3Noq!e1FBp3Wnj4UdkMPopLvfnrRb5eZrvqJaHHzpwZAILDEEyjRYM5wWUyaPja8Neks/give%20up.gif?dc=4675483731229224342[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0ZwAAALwhcRM*tEKwtiSolRWTluVnqmerbm5AydK6*k45RG8WfbOf14WvlK9V92sJ2nVFXRSuVHKlnTunSyhFMsBfFpfevXTrS!avfObiYvW6Nj94twiopPuQLRYagLQQXsiYuLHgh3Z1WQ!TxN0mbQ/Peanut%20waterlogged.JPG?dc=4675382843209681874[/img] :(

good luck peanut and HF! i hope everything comes out ok (haha couldn't resist the butt humor -- did it make you chuckle?) seriously tho you would be surprised what they can pass. aspen is the king of eating any and everything (including a whole sport sock when he was a pup). he has kind of grown out of it but every once in a while he will get a hankerin for a tasty quilt and then for a few days you get patchwork turds! our vet says she has seen ziploc bags pass :o

sending peanut lotsa well wishes!

Wow, thanks for all the well wishes. No surgery for Peanut, though she's had some very intensive (or should that read expensive :oops: ) care. The piece of shoe apparently just tore its way through her causing some damage, but she should be fine when it's all done and over with. We'll know a little better when she's allowed to eat again (starting tomorrow)... very small bits of soft/bland food every couple of hours or so until we work to regular meals. Will take a few days. Here's hoping that when she's able to eat again, it'll stay down.

Thanks again!