Dogomania

Bad News for Boonie

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So i'm back from the vet with boonie.. and he has heartworm. and that is what causing his heart murmor, and the immune disease. SO they want to do the heart worm treatment on him, but they will not release him to fly period. they said to eaither have him put down, or have him stay with my mom and dad.. i have no clue what to do, he'll die with out the treatment, and even with the treatment it can cuase anurisms and kill him anyways. i feel like i'm in a lose lose situation.. what do i do? i'm home alone until Sunday and i'm a complete basket case........

on the plus his blood count went from 19 to 28 in a week ;)

I forgot to ask you that on the phone - do they say what his chances are with treatment and how long treatment would take? (if they were good, maybe he could stay with your mom until he's better?) other than that I really dont know - Im so sorry this is all happening and you have to make this horrible decision! :cry:
Is there anyone driving up this way maybe??? I was jsut thinking maybe it would be safer for him if he somehow could be driven back home instead of flying.............

Oh no ... crossing paws and saying a little prayer for you and Boonie!

HW is so hard, having recently gone through it with Buddy. First you hear all these horror stories about treatment but then they are talking about the older treatment, the newer one is much better. Buddy was in major pain after the first injections (2 at the same time) but only for a few days and he was on the rimadyl which really helped.

I think Boonie would have to be with you through treatment (at least one month after the immiticide injections you'll have to keep him real quiet). The anyeurism or embolism risk is mainly if they exert themselves. If he can get home and do his treatment immediately then, that would be best.

Of course there is the hardest option ... that is up to you and the vet but I think it depends on how much damage the worms may have already done (if any). And they try to determine this with x-rays.

I'll be thinking of you ... as if you didn't have enough going on right now.

DAL, that sucks! :o
I'm surprised that with all Boonie's problems, or even before he left whatever rescue, that he wasn't already heartworm tested. Maybe it's because I live in such a heavily infested area, but it's pretty standard here. I don't know how big a problem heartworms are in your area, so it may not be something that they usually worry about.

Don't think I'm knocking YOU. I'm not really knocking anyone. I guess I'm just surprised that no one (the rescue or the vets) tested for it before now.

Did they say how bad Boonie's heartworms are? It's usually graded up to four (I think... at least our tests do). The longer it goes undetected/untreated, the worse it gets. That's why I would have imagined they'd have done a heartworm test before now.

Treatment is often very successful. It will kind of depend on how bad it is, though, and how strong Boonie is. I really have no advice since this is such a personal decision and I know you'll do what's right for you and Boonie.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through all of this. It really sucks. :(

You adopted Boonie to care for him [i] for life[/i]. Heartworm is treatable. Many dogs live through the treatment. Why WOULDN'T you do everything possible to get him through this? So he can't fly, why not rent a car or stay put where you are or have your parents take care of him until things are sorted out? From what I remember you saying, you don't really have a job with set hours. If he has a chance of living and getting better, why [i] wouldn't [/i] you take it?

boonie does have other problems.
but just because he has problems doesnt mean he should be given up on.
dogs[i] are[/i] for life, no matter how sick they are.

if it's treateable, it should be treated.
if it can't be treated and he doesn't have a quality life, then let him go.

but with HW it can be treated and the majority of dogs do pull through just fine

[quote name='scotty_lvr'][quote name='hillside']You adopted Boonie to care for him [i] for life[/i]. Heartworm is treatable. Many dogs live through the treatment. Why WOULDN'T you do everything possible to get him through this? So he can't fly, why not rent a car or stay put where you are or have your parents take care of him until things are sorted out? From what I remember you saying, you don't really have a job with set hours. If he has a chance of living and getting better, why [i] wouldn't [/i] you take it?[/quote]

Maybe you haven't read any of the other post regarding Boonies current problemS.....it isn't like he only has HR. He has been extremely ill the last few weeks, and adding this to his list of ailments may be too much for the little guy!! I don't know of your intentions with the post but it did not sound as though you were informed, nor supportive! I apologize in advance if I misunderstood your intention![/quote]

I agree, I think this is terrible to be telling her she is not taking care of Boonie like she should, I'm sure she is well aware of the care he needs, and only she is able to decide what will be in Boonie's best interest. I took on a little black Pomeranian this past summer, he had heartworms and I had him treated, he did great. But that was his only ailment, he was otherwise healthy. Boonie seems to have a lot more going on, and maybe he can't handle the heartworm treatment like others. I am sure DAL will know in her heart what she has to do, and it's not fair to judge her.
DAL just know I am keeping Boonie in my prayers, and also you for the strenght you'll need to get through this.

Guest Anonymous

DAL I'm sorry that all of this is happening.

I don't fully understand all of Boonie's ailments but I do know that I had an older sickly GSD several years ago that had a HEAVY load of HW's. The vet was hesitant to treat him because of the other illnesses. We ended up giving him Ivomect (heartguard) monthly until the microfiliria (baby heartworms) were gone and he was healthy enough to under go treatment. He made it through then...but he wouldn't have if we did the full treatment right off the bat.

Good luck to you and Boonie.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks everyone. I'm waiting for justin to get on the net so we can talk about it finacially. I told him on the phone yesterday what was going on. and a good family freind down here can get me vet costs at 50% off ( would hav been nice to know back when all the problems started ) but as long as justin says its a go which i'm sure he will and i can talk to my inlaws about keeping the big dogs for awhile longer then looks as though boonie and i will be extending the stay down here in phx so he can get his treatment started.. thanks for all the possitive thoughts!

[quote name='Tammy']...I had an older sickly GSD several years ago that had a HEAVY load of HW's. The vet was hesitant to treat him because of the other illnesses. We ended up giving him Ivomect (heartguard) monthly until the microfiliria (baby heartworms) were gone and he was healthy enough to under go treatment. He made it through then...but he wouldn't have if we did the full treatment right off the bat.[/quote]

I have read some positive testimonies on the web about this. An option that's worth asking the vet about maybe..

For those of you who are saying why WOULDN't you treat this ... believe me after just going through it there is no easy answer. It is a very serious situation and treatment in any case, and especially when the dog has already been so affected by HW. If my vet said there was GOOD chance of survival, then personally I'd try it but then if he said the chance of surviving was low then I wouldn't put any dog through it.

Also I like DO's idea about contacting back with the shelter / rescue.

I just wanted to chime in here for everyone who wondered why this wasnt found earlier........ I think the major factor is that this rescue apparently was pretty lousy - from waht I have heard from Nay she has tried many times to contact them since he began having these problems with no replies to email and I believe she said the number is no longer in service or something (correct me if Im wrong there Nay) the other reason being that heart worms are extremely rare here - Ive never even heard of a dog having them in this area - ever (let me clarify, Im not ignorant, Im sure it has, but its very rare - almost un heard of here) Im sure thats part of the reason it was not diagnosed or tested earlier.
and to Hillside, I dont mean to sound rude either - but the idea of euthenizing him was NOT Naomi's...... the vet said it may be the kindest option for Boonie given his many problems, not jsut hw. If she was not in this "for life" she could have given up or given him back months ago. That is not an option she came up with on her own, nor one she wants to do.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Baileysmom']I just wanted to chime in here for everyone who wondered why this wasnt found earlier........ I think the major factor is that this rescue apparently was pretty lousy - from waht I have heard from Nay she has tried many times to contact them since he began having these problems with no replies to email and I believe she said the number is no longer in service or something (correct me if Im wrong there Nay) the other reason being that heart worms are extremely rare here - Ive never even heard of a dog having them in this area - ever (let me clarify, Im not ignorant, Im sure it has, but its very rare - almost un heard of here) Im sure thats part of the reason it was not diagnosed or tested earlier.
and to Hillside, I dont mean to sound rude either - but the idea of euthenizing him was NOT Naomi's...... the vet said it may be the kindest option for Boonie given his many problems, not jsut hw. If she was not in this "for life" she could have given up or given him back months ago. That is not an option she came up with on her own, nor one she wants to do.[/quote]

Thank you BM.. They have not returned any of the messages that i've left for them, their recuse group ( it was breed specific ) does not have any animals listed on petfinder andymore and their personal webpage they had is no longer in existance.. belive me i've sent many emails to the people with no response i'm very much upset about all this and the fact that it was not found ealier, but as BM said HW is not common in our area, which is why i never had him tested. Also i was told that he was utd and current on his shots, i called the vet that the rescue group goes through, only to find out they only had him fixed and his rabies, they didn't even update his shots and he was only seen 2 times there.. so i'm not impressed with the rescue group and can only say thank god boonie came here. the idea of starting a donation page is awesome although i'd have no idea where to start. I have a call in to my vet who will be in on sunday. i've known him for many years as i used to work for him and babysit his son. i didn't get to see him yesterday so i will wait fo him to call and tell me what he would personally do based on the fact that poor boonie has more then just the HW going on right now, he also had a life threating blood disease for those of you who didn't follow the other posts. so i want to get the specifics, the odds of servival and what he thins the % rate of boonie pulling through with everything else. lots of questions, so i will wait until sunday to hear what dr. sherrell has to say. thank you all for the support, belive me if there was a way to get the rescue group to help out or at least acknowledge that they were at fault for some of the the things they failed to do... i dunno... i'm still walking around in a daze tryin gto keep boonie calm and non active is really hard as since his blood count has gone up he's getting back to his normal self i even had to crate himtoday with his toy after he FINALLY PLAYED with it for the first time in 3 weeks he was running around and tossing it as soon i saw he was in the crate and i felt horrible.. .. we have a long road ahead of us...

DAL, is Boonie a purebred Pom? If so, you may want to try the national breed club, sometimes the club will have a fund for rescue dogs just for instances like this. If you'd like the breed club info, let me know and I'll post it up for you.
As for being heartworm +, try the treatment, it's not nearly as debilitating as the old cyanide treatments, but the hardest part is trying to keep the dog quiet for several months. We've treated many dogs over the years with our rescue, and every one of them came through it fine, so paws crossed for your little pupper :wolfie: .

DAL - My rott Jerry was treated for heartworm last August as soon as we adopted him from our local humane society. He went through the treatment just fine. His infestation was not too severe.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this situation with your little guy. We are keeping fingers and paws crossed for you and Boonie.