Dogomania

How/Why did you choose your breed(s)?

Queen Bitch

Like many people, I have a breed preference. Dalmatians. Why is this MY breed? Well quite by accident really. An acquaintence of my father's had several Pekes and one Dalmatian girl. He didn't really want a big dog and gave her to us. We later added a second, liver spotted boy. After he passed on we got another liver boy. Now not only am I stuck on Dals, but I'm stuck on liver Dals. When planning out my future pup, I had to narrow down from the breeds I wanted to focus on one. There were several breeds on that list : Rotties, Dobes, GSDs, Bull Terriers, Am Staffs, Great Danes, Mastiffs, BullMastiffs, and a couple others. Dals WERE NOT on the list. I noticed a strange occurence though.....while looking at different breeds webpages, I kept looking at Dalmatian pages. After a while, I realized that I was in denial and started focusing in on what I REALLY wanted, Dals. I now have my breeder almost 100% decided on ( I have wanted to show since I was a wee youngin, so now I'll get to.) and will be getting my pup sometime in the next year or so.

So how did you pick yours? ( Mixed breed owners can play this game too :wink: )

I adore Goldens for their huge, goofy grins - and character. :lol: They're actually my favourite breed. Their clumsiness and silly ways are so charming!

But I have an English Cocker Spaniel. :lol: I find their temperament very sweetly similar to GRs, and I'm a gone sucker for those silly ears. We made the choice for an ECS also because we live in a flat - they're a little more compact and manageable in our small space. Now my dog Cosmic has a gorgeous GR BEST friend (they are sooooo cute together!) - so I have the best of both worlds!! Yay! :D

hehe, one of my favorite topics.

I grew up exposed to all the same anti-"pit bull" hogwash that everyone hears. I didn't really believe that any breed of dog could be that bad, but some of it did sink in.

Then, I was working for a vet, and I met my first real pit bull. A local rescue group brought him in to be neutered, and boarded him with us for a while. I was smitten! All the traits I'd wanted in a dog (bold, confident, affectionate, outgoing, independent, a bit stubborn, smart, smooth coated, maybe a few more I can't remember right now), and had assumed I couldn't possibly find in one dog... right there, in the "devil dog"!

I couldn't adopt that sweet white & tan boy though (no dogs apartment), and I knew I really wanted an AKC registered dog so I could compete in obedience, a childhood dream of mine. (I wasn't aware of the other options in obedience back then, not sure I'd even heard of the UKC) So, I went to a local dog show to meet the AKC bull-and-terrier breeds. (I'd read up on "pit bulls", and thought another bull-and-terrier would probably suit me fine). The show was a bench show... this type of show isn't common any more, but there is one here every year and it's a great place to meet the different breeds. Each breed is benched together, and have to stay all day.

I really thought I'd wind up with an Amstaff, as they were the closest to a "pit bull". But when I went by the Amstaff bench, the cropped ears were a big turn-off to me. I didn't like the look. I met a Bull Terrier, who was sweet, but still wasn't sure. Then I reached the Staffordshire Bull Terrier bench. Most of the SBT people were sitting together in chairs, with their dogs in their laps. So cozy looking! Then when I went by the bench, one man was there with his brindle Staffy and teenage daughter. "You can pet him, he's friendly!" the guy said eagerly (a bit of breed outreach, I guess), and not at all adverse I went to pet the brindle cutie. Who climbed across the teenage daughter in order to climb up on me and lick my face.

Sold!

It was some years after that before I could get my own Staffy, but I'd made my choice, and all my research on the breed confirmed it. As did my sweet Elmo, of course, when he first came out of his crate at the airport and said, "I'm yours!"

I didn't choose my dog, he chose me. :)
We were looking for a medium-sized dog, preferably young, preferably what Dad (not me!) calls a "real" dog (kelpie, heeler, border collie etc). We had the time and resources to devote to caring for this type of dog. It did depend, however, on what happened to be at the shelter when we got there. I would have been hysterical at the thought of leaving without saving a dog (I still bawl whenever I visit a shelter and see all those poor animals with no homes). So this little tan-and-white kelpie x bitch was a sweetie, and we were thinking seriously about adopting her, but then all this commotion (whinging etc) emanated from the stall next to her. We had a look and that was IT. No going back from there. The cutest little black and white spotty puppy I ever did see was on the other side, paws up on the wire, whinging and frantically wagging his tail, desperate for some attention. It took us all of about five minutes to decide he was the one (suckers). BK satisfied all the criteria we were looking for and then some.
After owning, or being owned, by a heeler x, it's hard to say whether I want anything else. I do like other breeds, especially Weimaraners, Dals and Dobes for their temperaments as well as their stunning looks. But BK is THE best dog I have ever had the pleasure of owning. Time will tell, I suppose.

Our GSD was originally bought for companionship. It seemed a natural progression from Shelties and Border Collies. We wanted a larger dog, and so we went with one of the largest herding breeds out there. We felt that we had enough experience with squirrilly dogs, yet we were pretty unprepared for a GSD in retrospect. A lot of the great things about our GSD was purely luck on our part. However having Banzai has fostered a great love of the breed and involvement in breed activities.

As for Newfoundlands, I've always loved them. I guess it stemmed from a Newfoundland in our area named Murphy. He was always the dignified gentle giant who carried himself so masterfully. Though he'd never turn a hug down from us kids. I've wanted a Newfoundland for about ten years and about five years ago fulfilled that desire with my nutty guy who couldn't be dignified to save his life. Nevertheless, he is extremely sweet, good natured and always wears a smile and will always stop to be hugged by neighbourhood kids. How can that personality not grow on you?

I don't know if I will have another GSD after Banzai is gone (50 years from now *G*) but I think we'll definitely have another Newf, Shenanigans alone has definitely illustrated to me, why this breed's reputation for being excellent with children is well deserved. And since we plan on having kids in the near future, I think the Newfoundland is a perfect choice.

Jesse came to me in a roundabout way. A couple of years after having my elderly Sheltie put down, I knew it was time for another dog. I wanted a dog I could do AKC obedience with and I wanted a big, black, hairy dog. Yup, that was pretty much my criteria. I had done some research on Flat Coated Retrievers and set out to find one. Met a few at local shows, talked to owners, spoke to a breeder. Told the breeder I was interested in a pup, got her address and sent her a long letter. Never heard back from her.
One night, my family went out to dinner, my aunt, her husband, and a friend of theirs joined us. The friend and his wife used to have two Belgian Sheepdogs. I had met their dogs years ago and remembered how friendly and beautiful the dogs were. The friend knew of a breeder who was looking for a home for a pet pup. My aunt, who showed her Shelties, also knew the woman quite well.
I read what I could find on Belgians, which was not very much at all, and contacted the woman. Made arrangements to go visit her and meet the pup. I'm pretty certain my aunt and the friend spoke to the breeder about me as well.
I met the breeders, met the sire and dam of the pup, then met the pup. Her dogs were very outgoing, big and silly and happy to meet me. The couple apparently felt I was a good match for this pup and about 2 weeks later, my mom and I drove up to get him. That was 12 1/2 years ago, I brought Jesse home with me and he is the dog of my heart. It is because of him that I want another Belgian. I want another male and will wait until Jesse goes to the bridge to get one. He has top dog, special boy status here and will until he dies.

I've always love Great Danes, i just had one when i was a child, and i'm always saying that i'm gonna have another one. Right now it's imposible.

Also with Lola i learned to love Basset Hounds, now i can't be without a basset in my life

Guest Anonymous

I honestly do not know what breed I want. I have never picked my own dog....3 came here because of family, two were found near my home, and two others just never got adopted and the rescue was going to put them down.

I know I don't want a puppy ever again! NEVER! Especailly two dogs under 2 years of age...NEVER again.

I have owned Newfoundland dogs for the past 30 years. I have never chosen my breeds, my friends who are breeders chose me to have their breeds :lol:
I have never paid for a dog in my life and have enjoyed having many different breeds of dogs. I have had Dalmations, Standard Poodles, doberman's, Great Pyrenees dogs, German Shepherd's, many many Newfoundland dogs. All of them given to me by breeders and their food, obedience classes and vet bills paid for for the life span of the dog...who wouldn't take them :lol: the only down fall is show season :(

When I was a child we had a Shepherd/husky mix, border collie mix, a Great Dane, and Newfoundlands throughout my childhood. These were all great dogs and went every where with us kids from the beach to playing with our friends to over nights at friends homes. All of these dogs were well mannered and easy going...when I was a child my dogs were welcome every where I went and they were my childhood shadows (especially my border collie mix and husky/shepherd mix) they were all very well mannered dogs which turned out wonderful due to lots of socialization and basic training.
My currenet dogs are a Dobie mix which was a malnourished stray I found running at large...I took him in and kept him as he needed me. I do have a certain spot in my heart for Dobie's, they are the most affectionate breed I have ever known...I have never met a Dobe that doesnt want to be near its human companion ( or shall I say touching its human companion) at all times. :wink:

My Rottweiler was left tied in a back yard while her owner was in jail. The SPCA picked her up and found she would be a little too much dog for an average pet owner...so they asked me to take her. I do love Rottweilers, they are charming and full of fun and like my Dobe, Athena loves to be with me at all times.

My current 4 Newfoundlands (and my past Newf's) were given to me by my friend who breeds Newf's. I don't think my world would be complete without a Newf in my home. They are the sweetest most loyal dogs I have ever owned. I love their sweet dispostion and the fact that they are very low key. I have never had to worry about my Newf's with any other dogs (my Newf's are the only dogs which a friend of mine with a dog aggressive pitbull can go for walks with) they have a soothing temperment which seems to calm high strung dogs down. With my Newf's I have helped many people at least try to socialize their dog aggressive dogs...for some reason other dogs do not find my Newf's to be a threat, be it their rolling walk etc.
I will always own a Newf for thier charm, and easy going manners and their ability to be the peace makers of the dog world :wink:

I love all breeds of dogs and any breed would fit into my life style. I take what is given to me and I take what needs me.

:wink: I suppose my preferance is a Newf though :wink:

Well I too had been subjected to the media hype behind pitbulls, so when I first met my husband, I must admit that I wasn't thrilled he owned a pitbull. It didn't take long though before I fell in love with Taurus. I love the breed, however, I am still young, and I would like to own several breeds throughout my life. I think that each breed has its pros and cons, and I don't feel that any one breed is "perfect". There are a few breeds I would like to own before I settle on "the one"

1) APBT
2) Presa Canario
3) Rodesian ridgeback
4) Weimeraner ( SP????)
5) Staffy Bull
6) American Bulldog

2 down, 4 to go!!

I know I have told his story before sorry to all the long time members
I did not realy care for dogs I was a cat person
my step-daughter asked if we would take Poppy for three months while she went into rented accomadation with her boyfriend they where going to buy a house before the three months were up she was expecting a baby and could not afford the house- she did get a rented council house but did not want Poppy back. Next we took Alice a beautiful black shar-pei my step daughter had breed her for the dams owner but she could not be sold because she had chest trouble she talked my husband into taking her - she lived untill she was 4 years old when she died of kidney failure after we lost Alice the grief we felt very bad I did not want any more s/pei off my step daughter We found Gladis advertised on the shar-pei searce engine and ended up with two puppies Paddy from the same litter --Poppy lived out her life with us getting more spoilt each year- She died last year aged 13 years

I grew up with APBT's. My dad always had at least 3 of them running around & he bred them sometimes, he would have a litter every 3 or 4 years, mainly if he wanted a new pup or one of our family members did. All of his puppies went to family or friends. My mom was a Chi person and always had several. I have had a little experience with other breeds but always have had a pitty in the house. I don't want to know what life WITHOUT them is like. I have either had or fostered (usually for friends) Cocker, Lab, Irish Setter & Great Danes. Oh my ex had Dobies & a coon hound also. I just can't stay away from the pitty smile!

Debby

What a great topic !....I apologise in advance for getting long winded...

When I was little, we always had small dogs. My mom had two Pekingese (her babies) and we had a corgi/terrier mix. I always wanted a big dog, though my parents wouldn't agree to it.
Well when I was 12, we moved to a new house. The previous owners had a golden/GSD mix that they couldn't take with them, so they had given it to the neighbors...well,the dog ("Brandy") decided she wasn't having any of that, and so she kept escaping from their yard and coming to our house. She would just sit on our front step with the saddest look on her face...
This happened pretty much every day for a month, and my dad kept bringing her back to her new owners. Finally one day my dad just decided, thats it...this dog belongs here and he went and talked to the owner...they agreed and thats how I got my first BIG dog. She was awesome. She was with me for 6 wonderful yrs.

After that I was hooked on big dogs (or at least medium sized ones) . My sister had Boxers, and my brother had PitBulls, so I spent a lot of time with these two breeds,and I just fell in love with them. When I got out on my own, I just knew that when the time was right for me to get a dog, it was going to be either a Boxer or a Pitbull...they both have such wonderful personalities. I guess the final decision to get a Boxer was made mostly because at the time I was renting ..and we all know how hard it is to find landlords that will accept a PitBull....and besides, Boxers have those adorable little mushy faces...I just can't resist :wink: Soooo now I have Loki and Lyra, and I couldn't imagine life without them.

Ever since I was two I have loved dogs more then anything else. It all started with my old neighbor's Scottie, Chip(that's where one of my dog's name came from). My dad was not really a dog person, so it was nine years later we finally got dogs. We were only going to get one, but we just couldn't help getting both of the cute little puppies! We were planning on getting a Scottie, but then I did one of the internet things where it tells you what breeds would work for you, and the Carolina Dog was in the top five. My whole family was fascinated by them and we decided they were the breed for us. They have worked out great for our family and we just love them to pieces!

I always told myself after years of living in apartments that if I ever owned a house I wanted a dog. When I bought my house I went to the local HS. I had a list of what I wanted, and a "pit bull type dog" was DEFINITELY not one of them as I believed all the hype. BUT....there was Mollie. Pit bull/Beagle mix making goo-goo eyes at me from her kennel. I'd like to say I chose her, but really, she chose me. I couldn't resist her and brought her home.

Shortly after, I met one of my neighbors' dogs. Pure American Pit Bull Terriers both of them, and I fell in love. I wanted a puppy and she gave me the name of her dogs' breeder. I contacted her. She put me on her waiting list and six months later I got Desmond.

I like all dogs, but as long as I have the physical stength to handle them on walks and such, I will always have a pit.

[quote name='Shenanigans']Shenanigans alone has definitely illustrated to me, why this breed's reputation for being excellent with children is well deserved. And since we plan on having kids in the near future, I think the Newfoundland is a perfect choice.[/quote]

The author of "Peter Pan" based the dog Nana on his own Newfoundland. (why he didn't make her a Newf I don't know).

Taurus & Jada, I too thought that I would be trying several different breeds before settling on "the one". Staffybulls were just the first on my list, and as soon as I had Elmo, I could see that the rest of the list wouldn't be needed.

Pit bulls were not on my list at all!! Although I had never met one, I knew from the media that they were ugly, vicious, killers and maulers! :roll:

I really wanted a Dobie, but was unable to find a rescue dog who suited me. After I got a computer I started reading the rescue/dog boards and hearing over and over how pit bulls were exploited, abused and mistunderstood.

I decided to foster one, and although I was wary, the minute I met this sweet faced, BEAUTIFUL, clownish, licky, wigglebutted lapdog, I knew this was the breed for me! :D

I had several breeds that I was considering, I guess it was part by chance that the flattie became the one. I'd known a flattie when I was really young who was a wondrous dog, so thats what initially made me think of them. And I wanted a breed that was biggish, playful, silly, relatively quiet, trainable, intelligent, good with small animals, and hardy. Flatcoated Retrievers are all of those things.
I dont regrett my choice of breed, although I do feel that flatties aren't really "my" breed. A flattie (and especially Web!) was the perfect choice for me now.

I have loved dogs my whole life, when I was a child I bugged my parents so badly they adopted a puppy from the HS for me. This dog was a sheepdog/terrier mix. Unfortunately, my parents didn't have the time or interest in this dog to train and socialize him properly. He was one of the most VICIOUS dogs I have ever met, but only with people outside of our family, so my mom and dad tolerated him for awhile. Then one day my beloved Patches growled at my dad and my parents decided he needed to be PTS before he hurt someone. After that I sort of gave up on having more dogs............then one day my master's degree mentor asked me if I would dog sit for her dogs. Oh my god, she had a female siberian husky and a male alaskan husky(really a GSD/siberian mix, LOL). They were the most beautiful dogs I had ever seen. I mean come on, all that hair, the attitude, the constant attempts to escape, the attitude, the amazing prey drive, the attitude, the howling, what's not to LOVE! They are such an intelligent athletic breed, I'm hooked for life. However, I must say that in the future I plan to adopt the oldest dogs from the HS regardless of breed and give them a home, but I'll bet there will always be some husky mix in my life :drinking:

I've always loved dogs in general of most any breed or mix. Big, little, purebred, mutt, really had no preference. Lhasa Apsos have been a favorite for many years because I really liked their small stature, but they were somewhat aloof and independent thinkers. Not hyper or clingy and with a certain "wisdom" about them (at least before they started becoming really popular and overbred with an anything goes temperament). I guess they aren't what people would perceive the typical small dog to be. I'm sure I will always have at least one Lhasa in the house and it's possible I may eventually become involved in showing them.

However... it wasn't until I began my grooming career that I became exposed to the beauty and charm of Standard Poodles. My husband always reminds me of conversations long ago where I said I couldn't believe anyone would want such a big ugly beast and considered them nothing but some weird lawn ornament. Once I started working with them, I became enchanted with them. As much as I NEVER would have considered myself a Poodle person, especially BIG "freak" Poodles, once I got involved in grooming them, it was all over but the crying. They have become without a doubt THE breed for me. It's like a light clicked on. They are so clownish and goofy sometimes, but with a grace, elegance and intelligence that takes my breath away. I am getting involved with competition grooming with Standard Poodles and may eventually end up showing them. It will be either them OR Lhasas (showing), but certainly not both and definitely no time soon.

I am also really discovering the appeal of Dobes. I've always liked them in the general sense that I like most dogs, but living with one has made me really think I'd eventually like to have another.

I am seeing a pattern here. A lot of people lean towards dogs they either had, or cared about as children. So heres my story.

I wanted a dog. My mom did not like animals in the house. we pestered dad, he was the easier touch on that subject. we pestered and pestered and pestered. Dad would always say "WHO will take care of it? NOT ME."
I said I would (as all kids do) he said OK prove it. he knew a breeder of Goldens. He said "you can work there over the summer. REALLY work, then decide if you still want a dog"
I agreed.

I moved onto the farm for the summer. up at 5:00 a.m. (I am NOT a morning person) feed the dogs. exercise the dogs. train the dogs in basic obedience. I learned alot there. a number of these dogs were being bred for the Seeing Eye in NY. I got to meet the "chooser" and actually got to walk around town blindfolded with a guide dog (SCARY stuff)

anyway, summer was done. I went home. I still wanted a dog. Mom finally relented, and said "get a small, shedless dog, a poodle or someting".
while I was at the farm, I had fallen in love with one of the dogs, a big, oversized golden, not the choice for the Seeing Eye and too big for competition or show. I asked the trainer if I could work him out of my salary. He said no, my parents had to approve. They didnt. I went home heartsick, but somehwat appeased that at least I was going to get a dog.

My dad left one Saturday morning to get our dog. The farm was 3 hours away from our house. My mom really thought he was off for a poodle or something. He came back with Taurus. the Golden I wanted. who promptly,
upon getting out of the car, threw up on my moms perfectly manicured lawn. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

they were in it all along!! (my mom wasnt, and wasnt happy about it)
Dad wanted to make sure I would be dedicated to taking care of the dog.
The trainer apparently gave me good marks, and they struck a deal.

In the end, mom ended up loving Taurus, like everyone did. You couldnt NOT love that goofy face, and smile and the fact that he liked EVERYBODY.

I moved out on my own when he was 8 (dad cried, mom got the carpet replaced) and had him til he was 13. I still have his ashes in an urn.

since then, altho I have had many other breeds of dogs, as pets, as fosters and as rescues, I love hunting dogs. I now have a lab mix and a foxhound.

My family always had either Golden Retrievers or Yellow Labs when I was growing up. My last dog, a beautiful red Golden Retriever named Crackerjack, died about 20-25 years ago of spleen cancer.

Then I moved to California for 3-1/2 years, and then back to Minnesota and no-dogs-allowed-apartment living for about 20 years.

Then in January of 2002 I moved back home to take care of my dad while he was dying of cancer. The house has a huge fenced back yard, and my dad had always been a huge dog lover, so I decided to adopt a dog. I had been dogless for FAR too long, and a dog would also keep my dad company while I was at work.

We definitely wanted a Golden Retriever or Golden-mix. I was looking on Petfinder.com and found Jackie, a beautiful black/tan/white 1-1/2 year old who had been rescued from the pound, who was guessed to be Golden Retriever/German Shepherd/Collie. I instantly fell in love with Jackie, and she became a member of the family in February of 2002. My dad was very depressed toward the end, and Jackie made him laugh out loud just by being a silly puppygirl. My dad passed away in April, but he really enjoyed having Jackie around, and I don't know how I would have gotten through the loss of my dad without Jackie.

Then six months later I decided that it would be nice for Jackie to have a sister. So I started looking on Petfinder.com again, and I found Maya, a 1-1/2 year-old Golden Retriever/Husky mix. I took Jackie to meet Maya, and they got along just great. Their first night together they fell asleep on the sofa together, and they've been best friends ever since.

I've ALWAYS loved the way Golden Retrievers look, I love their long coats, and I love their loving goofy personalities. There's nothing better than coming home after a long day at work and having those two hairy wigglebutts meet me.

So I'm definitely a life-long Golden-lover!

Guest Mutts4Me

I didn't have dogs when I was growing up. Just cats. I always wanted a dog, and when I visited someone with a dog, I ended up offending them because I spent too much time with their dog, and none with them. Oops. The ones that stick out the most are a yellow lab, a white shepherd, a liver dalmatian, and a cock-a-poo (really, were they the first designer breed, because my best friend had this cock-a-poo when I was in elementary school). I did have a brief "thing" for GSDs, but they're not something I intend to get, and neither are the rest.

My first dog was a black lab my mom picked up from the hardware store parking lot. The breeder was giving them away because they were too old to sell, and the ones who she had left at the end of the day were going to the pound. So after calling my dad (mom had always had dogs and really wanted one, but dad was a cat person and always said no), my mom brought Bandit home. Loved him to death, but labs have never and will never be at the top of my list for whatever reason.

My attraction to dogs is largely physical, so I like the breeds that I'm attracted to. Qualities include 30+ pounds, longishish hair, a curly tail, and multi-colors, preferably with a lot of white markings. 2 or 3 out of 4 is perfectly acceptable. So knowing that I want an Akita, an APBT, a boxer, and maybe a collie should come as no surprise. But I don't want them because of how they look. I've always wanted a Lassie dog, and I believe I may be able to own one some day. But for a long time I really wanted a border collie or aussie, but have since changed my mind because I would not be able to provide them with the proper stimulation, nor keep up with them. Also really wanted a husky or malamute, but I'm doubtful about them, as well, though I wouldn't be shocked to find myself with a Malamute one day.

I was introduced to the Akita breed when I was very young. The family was at a car show, and there was this beautiful dog there. I don't remember the colors, even, just looking and thinking how big its feet were. The guy let me pet it and told me it was an Akita. Since then, I've had phases where I do all kinds of research on the breed and really want one. I believe I've reached the point where I think it's a permanent situation, and all the research I've done has made me fall in love with them as much as petting the one when I was little did. They're perfect. Big cats in a large dog body, they "woo," and they even fit every single one of my physical characteristic preferences. They'll take a lot of work, so it may be a while before I get one, but I feel it'll eventually work out.

Sasha, my dog right now, is a chow mix. She was a neighborhood "stray" who adopted us. She's an excellent dog, and while she is solid brown, she just happens to have longish hair and a curly tail, plus she's a decent sized doggy. I've always liked mutts, too, and while I do have these breeds picked out that I like, there's a good chance they'll come to me in mixed forms, or at least from a rescue or shelter.

To qualify my original post a bit: All three of our DalmatiAns had very similar temperments. None of them were related, two were BYB dogs ( before I knew better and I was a child so it wasn't my choice, really), the first, our bitch, could have been a BYB, but seemed rather well bred, but who knows. When I was on my dog quest, I made a list of the qualities that I wanted in a dog and when Ryan became a part of my life, I asked him what he wanted in a dog as well, even though I was already pretty much set on Dals, I took his list into consideration and thankfully Dals met his criteria as well as mine. I love their disposistion and their other general breed qualities and even though their appearence wasn't a deciding factor, you'd be hard pressed to find a dog that is as visually striking as a DalmatiAn.