Dogomania

Ellie is poorly :(

ellieangel

My little girl is not at all well :(

She started Thursday morning when we woke up to the sound of her being sick :( She was a bit off colour the rest of the day and sick again that evening,anyone who has an active breed knows that when they are ill you know about it because the house is far too quiet !

Friday morning she started with diarhoea and so we took her to see the vet last night,she hadn't eaten anything for 2 days and her temperature was 105 ! Poor girl......anyway she gave her an antibiotic injection and gave me some powder to put in her water to help her to rehydrate.She said to come back in the morning and if she was no better they would take her in and put her on a drip :( I spent most of the evening trying to get fluids into her as I certainly didn't want her to be admitted.

Went back this morning and her temperature has gone down a little 104 this time so they let us keep her home,she is very mopey and quiet but I think she is a little waggier today but the vet wants to see her again Monday morning and if she is still not happy that she is improving well then they will take blood and send off a stool sample.The vet is concerned that they need to check her organ function :(

Please keep your fingers crossed that she will perk up,she is so miserable at the moment.

Who said it couldn't get any worse :(

Guest Anonymous

aww *hugs* i'm sorry that things aren't going to goodl Hopefully things will turn out for the best and she's just got a little cold or something.. I will be thinking of you! keep us updated please!

oh poor Ellie :( Its possible that it is a coloform injection, caused by migrating birds flying over and the bacterial infection is carried in the bird's excrement. When the dog comes in after a walk and licks its feet , it ingests the bacteria into its system and causes a multitude of problems, including most commonly an irritated colon, causing diarrhoea and vomitting, lethargy and a raging temperature. With the birds coming back to the country now, this time of year is rife for dogs contracting the infection.

Keep giving her the electrolyte rehydrating mix in her water, and little and often water, not a full gorge at one time, and of course please keep us updated :wink:

Thanks guys she is getting plenty of love I can assure you. :wink:

Kat she had a nasty infection like this last year called Campilobacta (sp) I was afraid it was going to be that again but it looks hopeful that it isn't.

She hasn't been drinking enough really so I have been squirting the solution down her throat with a syringe,this is my main concern at the moment because if she gets too dehydrated they will take her in and put her on a drip and I really don't want that she would be so sad :(

Well after a tough week her last vet check was Thursday and her temperature was back to normal so hopefully she is on the mend now :)

She is still not eating very well though,she lost 2 kilos (4 1/2 pounds) in the first 2 days of being poorly I would guess she has lost double that in total.
I took a couple of pictures of her...

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwD1AlsYc9005Rkb0lqA5Nn1Go!zx2gb8UCWvXV!myD*XEtBExFFG9p9RJ9IJ2Oby*V1j1rCV352SKvRe0XhRbYx755s*XQTDR4YrjfJAqiB4*TfTTEx8MjptLBvq4gx/000_0254.JPG?dc=4675462562396417674[/img]

Look how drawn her face is in the pic below,compare it to my avatar :(

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwAAAFwYvd005Rkb0lqA5My8YJEQEFmuUeX034ti7pTBQx10yJ*oS9F7Qd1FWVJRvtEthn0EzjNc*Pac1FD3SJ1qq1NRObif7sfscfGLP2HAswwvaWg0ZCRuvVyVUOLa/000_0255.JPG?dc=4675462562402212698[/img]