Dogomania

Jake almost died yesterday :(

Daisysmom

Chelsea and Jake were playing in the snow (I was at work) and some how she got her teeth and/or mouth caught on his collar and couldn't get loose. She was actually strangling him. Patty, who was home from school because of the snow heard all the noise and ran out to try and get them apart. Jake was down on the ground and she thought not breathing for about a minute :cry:. She finally got them apart and he did come to. Chelsea was bleeding from the mouth and very shook up. He came around and was very quiet...... Patty called me at work crying!! I was so upset....... thank God she was home!!!!!! (we have a doggie door).

I have removed all their collars!!! We just got Chelsea microchipped and have planned on getting the others done too, but now, I think we will hurry!!

I had a kitten almost kill himself because of a collar.. He was playing around a heater that had metal bars on it. His collar got caught on the bars and he couldn't get free. I seen him just hanging there when I paniced. I freed him and he was fine.. But I removed the collar and put it in a drawer where it still is today.. That was 3 years ago..

:Dog_run:

WOW! How scary!! I try to take Re-Runs collar off but if the dog catcher comes around and he has no collar they will take him. They can be real jerks around this area and I wouldn't put it past them to not even see if they are chipped or not.

I know they make breakaway collars for cats, do they make them for dogs?? When they are not being walked, it might be the way to go.

Paula & Re-Run

[quote name='schippsmom']:Dog_run:

I know they make breakaway collars for cats, do they make them for dogs?? When they are not being walked, it might be the way to go.

Paula & Re-Run[/quote]

Yes they do. And they don't always "break away" like they are supposed to. I know someone that had a break away collar on her dog, and the EXACT same thing happened. One of her other dogs got it's mouth caught in the collar and it DIDN'T break away. (Luckily she was there are was able to save the dogs.

You can get the Keep-Safe Breakaway collars for your dogs, these collars can be worn all the time. There are two D rings side by side on the collars, to walk the dog on leash, just clip your lead to BOTH of the D rings at once. I have one of these collars for each of my dogs. Of course NOTHING is going to be a perfect solution, I fear that should one of my dogs get out and someone grabs them by the collar, one little tug and my dog is still going to be out there with no id. My experience with the collars is that they DO breakaway easily just as they are supposed to. I suppose if two dogs are wrestling, and one gets their teeth caught in BOTH D rings, it would still be a problem.
Here is a link to one place you can get the collars from, I'm sure there are others.
[url]http://www.gentleleader.com/[/url]

Maybe it's just me but I would personally prefer to receive a call directly from the person who found my dog rather than him even having to make it as far as the shelter.

And remember we are all doggy people so of course we would all do what ever it takes to make sure a dog is safe - however for a non doggy person getting a large dog like mine into their car to take to a shelter or to a vets office might be a bit much. If they can just use their cell phone there and then to call me then it's much easier.

I'm glad everything turned out okay for your babies!

Jackie and Maya are both microchipped, but I also keep collars on both of them when they're outside, just in case. As Maya is a fence jumper, she wears a harness outside attached to a 40-foot cable. I leave her collar (with her tags) on too, just in case her harness happens to come unfastened. I've been meaning to put an ID on her harness too, but keep forgetting to do it. I'm always keeping an eye on the girls the whole time they're outside. But I should probably take their collars off in the house when I'm gone, just in case.

I used to attach the cable to Maya's collar, and she used to get it undone all the time. Jackie even undid it for her a few times when they were playing. You must have really heavy-duty collars.

Again, I'm glad Jake is okay!

How awful for you Daisysmom- I'm glad the dogs are ok. :angel:

BK doesn't wear a collar except when we go out. He is chipped and registered though. My biggest fear is he'll get out, go on the road and get run over, and a collar won't save him anyway. :( But hey he's made it this far without getting flattened and he's been an escape artist since we got him 8 years ago, so I figure no collar at home is fine. :)
Marble- microchipping isn't expensive, at least not here. BK got his first chip included when we got him (he was about US$40 from the pound). I got it updated in 2002 and it cost AUD20/US$15. I'd have got it done even if it were costly though, the peace of mind is worth more for me. :wink:

What a fright !!

I'm glad everyone is ok though :)

My 2 have half checks which they wear all the time,we are in and out quite a bit during the day and Rio has to be held for a while when people come in because of his trust issues :roll: so they keep them on for convenience as much as anything.

Makes you think though :-?

[quote]how much does it cost to get a dog microchipped?[/quote]
It cost us around $31 for the chip itself, and then will have to pay the state for the life-time license (I forget how much that will cost) All in all, it's not too bad.

And... by the way, I think we had the problem with the collar because it was too loose too. He is still growing into his collar.

Whoa scary situation for you and thankfully it didn't turn out to be a tragedy. Mega nd Zoe both keep their collars on also as the dog wardens here are prats. Some don't even bother to check microchips and this was proved when my friends Lab Ben escaped and ended up in the pound 4 years ago. They didn't bother their asses to check and ...Ben was euthanased... Its a debate but perhaps a safety collar should win the toss up.