Dogomania

Meet our new puppy

Malamum

Indy has a new little sister called Kira. She is an 8 month old rescue dog that we bought home on Saturday.

Here she is with her first toy.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0YgAPA9kcaIMKzk9LrhBayEyx5l0ogKfDE8STcpHLnBLPEtLbV5ZCGZm0p!iax1BpU545Phe8ryVL5mXvS2vAQq2MEqVagqyNMkACR9lfXwaFqkk6Bsx9fFxhxCz0hZG28A1ql4cULzzLeH2TtLqg*w/2004_0322Image0012a.jpg?dc=4675464819721536577[/img]

Just sitting and looking pretty. She has one floppy ear wich makes her look very sweet and innocent.
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0YgAPA9scB4QKzk9LrhBayEyx5l0ogKfDycrbZNhXVs1XilL29wlBPd9CvIgOjDOQ6FQOd6BnjBN4hWahp45JVLcJhUypWIwaHrfZweYSCoCJ4!9gq1nQ1PA84*d*sK2vXI8QWjyBsvKJsZ*AwjCz*A/2004_0322Image0023a.jpg?dc=4675464819763993124[/img]

Woo wooing at Indy - saying give me that toy :roll:
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0YgDVAuAckoUKzk9LrhBayEyx5l0ogKfDGrAUIMM0RwmhgYKOvFXYBPPGzTKyo12ALFNzgsDlpZkoty8nYWfSAHPyR43Ha27Dyb4vcjbomOTGAsuefLetUacbmP**Mxr7qDlfZU6UbseBsMoNrnr!lQ/2004_0322Image0028a.jpg?dc=4675464819806094939[/img]

Ohhh what a cutie!!!! :angel:

[quote]Congratulations and a special "K medal" for adopting ...but why did we not hear of this sooner???? ..no secrets!!! thats the rule!!![/quote]

I agree. why didn't you tell us sooner?? So when did you decided to get her? Why? Come on now, tell us the details :wink: .

Guest Anonymous

ditto what everyone else said :) she looks like a sweet dog and you're awesome for adopting :) how does indy like her ? apparently she likes him....

K there were no secrets I promise. It was all very sudden.

Michael said yes we could have another dog on Wednesday, I put some feelers out and had found her by that afternoon :o we went and saw her on Thursday night, then took Indy to meet her on Saturday and brought her home that day. All very quick.

Sorry Amber I just didn't have a chance to hop on-line any sooner :oops:, she has kept me very busy since she is not toilet trained or anything.

Anyway, thanks for all the lovely comments everyone, she really is the cutest little thing. And she is very tiny compared to Indy- he is 50kg (approx 100lbs) and she is 30kg (approx 64lbs).

Indy has adjusted remarkably well. We met up with the people who had her at a park near their place. We spent a while getting them just used to being near each other then we spent ages just walking them around the park together. The decider was pretty much when they were drinking nice and calmly out of the tap at the same time. So we decided to take her home. We put her in the back of the car on her own and let Indy sit on the back seat with me - he thought that was a big privilege. When we got home rather than going straight in the house we went for another walk and made sure they were both relaxed before going in the house. Once inside we took it very slowly and used lots of treats. I sat on the floor with treats in my hand and they learnt pretty quickly that if they lay next to each other without any fuss then they would get treats.

The first night I slept on the couch in the kitchen with them as I was hesitant to leave them alone but they did fine – they both just found a spot and slept through the night. Indy is a little jealous but not in an aggressive way - he plays with her just plays very rough but she gives back as good as she gets so I have been pretty much leaving them to it and trying not to interfere too much. I have actually found that they do better if we are not around. If we are in the same room Indy tends to show off and tries to pin her to the ground but if we ignore it he tends to back off and then they just lie down and relax. I left them alone in the yard for a few hours yesterday and spied on them out the window and they did fine.

I also packed all Indy's toys away and bought new ones - one of each just different colours so there was no chance of him being possessive over his stuff. I probably won't bring them back out for a few weeks.

One thing I have noticed since we got her is that Indy's general behavior has improved dramatically. He has always been pretty good but since Saturday he obeys first time every time and on Sunday at training classes he was the best he has ever been. He was so attentive and did everything perfectly - no misbehaving at all.

I think this is really going to be a good thing.

I'm so excited for you! :angel:

Its good to hear that Indys behaviour has improved too, I've noticed that with Lily and Montie, it's like they are in competition with each other and since I've moved and have been training them together their reactions have been so sharp, Lily always used to take her sweet time at obedience and agility, but now she's so much more focused, its like they are trying to out do each other!

The first couple of months are just great aren't they, when you see them start to become "your dog", forming an attachment to you and growing in their personality.

Same as BK said, if you ever need a dog sitter... :wink:

Hehe BK & Aroura - be careful what you offer as I may just take you up on it :wink:

Michael and I aren't taking our annual skiing holiday this year as we have noone to leave them with. We normally leave Indy with my Mum and Dad but they are going to be overseas this year.

So if either of you feel like a holiday to Sydney to do some house and puppy sitting............ :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Malamum']
One thing I have noticed since we got her is that Indy's general behavior has improved dramatically. He has always been pretty good but since Saturday he obeys first time every time and on Sunday at training classes he was the best he has ever been. He was so attentive and did everything perfectly - no misbehaving at all.

I think this is really going to be a good thing.[/quote]

You just don't know how good a thing it could be. One thing I've learned with all the fosters that come and go and all the dogs that take up residence here.... while training is a wonderful thing, I swear that dogs learn best by watching other dogs. Indy will be the best teacher Kira can have! Since he's being an IndyGoodBoy, that's all the easier she'll learn good habits. It could be the other way around. I've seen several learn bad habits from a misbehaving dog. Dogs are WONDERFUL teachers! I'm so glad Indy is on his best good boy behavior.