Dogomania

Dog in crate on fire escape

Currently I'm looking to buy another investment apartment building. Well why looking at a home and inspecting the back yard I saw the cutest Pittie. Only 1 problem he was in an old metal crate on the fire escape. It must have been 85 here yesterday and he was in the sun. Am I the only one who thinks that is wrong? Doesn't the metal get hot? I spoke to the owner of the building and asked why does he allow that? He looked at me as if I have 5 heads. My son then says, "Well you have to understand we love dogs and my momma hates to see that. " Hello I think that is abuse! Anyways I had to rant about it.

Dear dog, how much time does he spend confined to that crate on the fire escape? Sounds terrible! At the MINIMUM, he needs complete shade and a constant, reliable source of water. Only if he was put there for a very short time so owner could vacuum indoors would I agree with this, I doubt this is the case!
I agree, sounds abusise to me, any animal protection group in your area you can talk to about this?

No, you're not the only one who thinks that is wrong!!! I would have to know though, how long the dog was out there, and if he had water and etc. If the dog was just let out for air and it was a short period of time, I don't think that is wrong. If the people left him there while they were at work all day, than that is a completely different story!!

Report him.
If it wasn't for nosey people (sorry, I'm not calling you nosey :oops: :lol: ) then there would be alot more abuse cases continueing with pets.
My friend works for the SPCA, they will follow up on any ones call when it involves neglect. They will question the owners, the neighbors etc. She has confiscated more dogs and cats than you could imagine just from concerned neighbors or others who see some thing that just doesnt look right.
If it wasn't for a concerned nosey neighbor I would never have gotten my wonderful Rottie Athena. She was left tied in a back yard while her owner was in jail, with just a couple of men down the road bringing an open bag of dog food for her every couple of days :cry: :evil:

So, please report this.

[quote name='xavierandrea']Currently I'm looking to buy another investment apartment building. Well why looking at a home and inspecting the back yard I saw the cutest Pittie. Only 1 problem he was in an old metal crate on the fire escape. It must have been 85 here yesterday and he was in the sun. Am I the only one who thinks that is wrong? Doesn't the metal get hot? I spoke to the owner of the building and asked why does he allow that? He looked at me as if I have 5 heads. My son then says, "Well you have to understand we love dogs and my momma hates to see that. " Hello I think that is abuse! Anyways I had to rant about it.[/quote]

the problem isn't so much the crate on the fire escape: it's that there's no water or shade... I think those are basic requirements everywhere.

I would definitely either/or 1) talk to the owner of the building again 2) call Animal control

Kat is quite correct. you are not supposed to block a fire escape with anything. AND the dog requires shade and water, especially if its a metal crate. I would report it. If the owner does not comply (and I dont understand their comment AT ALL..."Well you have to understand we love dogs and my momma hates to see that. " hates to see what? that they love dogs, or that the dog is crated on the fire escape? if the former, momma sounds a little looney too. it's a bad situation any way you look at it, and needs to be reported.

[quote name='courtnek']Kat is quite correct. you are not supposed to block a fire escape with anything. AND the dog requires shade and water, especially if its a metal crate. I would report it. If the owner does not comply (and I dont understand their comment AT ALL..."Well you have to understand we love dogs and my momma hates to see that. " hates to see what? that they love dogs, or that the dog is crated on the fire escape? if the former, momma sounds a little looney too. it's a bad situation any way you look at it, and needs to be reported.[/quote]
The comment about loving dogs came from xavierandrea son. He was simply explaining why she is so upset. The owner didn't think it was a big deal at all. Your calling Xavierandrea a loon. :lol:

Yup I would call the Animal control, Humane society, or SPCA.

Depending on the laws in your area an animal is suppose to have shelter from the elements and food and water available if they need it. It dosn't sound like these people are doing either. :-?

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I've been kinda sick lately, (I missed all the morning sickness and nasuea until now, 2 more months to go YEAH!)
Anyways I called animal control and I left a message on their machine. I'm goning to call them back to see if anything was done.