Dogomania

Are Rotweilers really as violent as the media tells us?

Guest Anonymous

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I agree with you rowie, the media does exagerate things alot..but this time i saw the picture and it was really bad..but i guess the person hoo would know best here would be Holz cuz she said that's her cuzin! so tell us how your cuz is doing now Holz! and telll her we hope she is alrite :D

and yea u guys have made it quite clear that the rotweiler is not a bad dog..its really a bad owner..but its strande that we always here about rotweilers attacking more than any other breed..but that is probably the media trying 2 be biased towards rotweillers and build them a bad rep..juss like rowie said the media likes to play around with imformation :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Snoop of course it is. the media is the number one reason but its not all them. bad owners put themselves in the position to be exploited and allow it to happen. Then there are the people that blow things all the way out of proportion when they realize that it was a rottie or a pit bull becuase they can get a settlement out of it(i read a real good report about this). of all dog bites many are not reported as they are not that severe, or the dog is owner by a friend , or many other reasons. but when a dog with the size and power of a rottie bite its more likely going to require hospitalization. hence more are reported and the dog gets a bad rep.

[color=darkred][/color]There are no bad dog only owners that don't raise them properly all dogs have it in them to bite if they are not raised in the right way ,i have 2 Gsd and people are alway surprised at how gental and loving they are ,my friend Angela up the road from has a rottie called ruffles and she is a big teddybear . Tracy&gangxx :o

Guest Anonymous

i agree with what you have said, breeding gives u a good base to start off from, but if the upbringing isn't right u can still ruin a perfectly good dog. course most dogs aren't hopeless.
raising a puppy/dog right makes a big difference. :D

I'v had an idea for a while now. there should b a course and/or a test (but definitely a test) that should b taken to allow one to have a pet (no matter the species) .
i think this would make it alot harder to ignorantly raise a dog wrong.

but most ppl wouldn't go for that :cry:

[quote name='snoop-dog']I agree with you rowie, the media does exagerate things alot..but this time i saw the picture and it was really bad..but i guess the person hoo would know best here would be Holz cuz she said that's her cuzin! so tell us how your cuz is doing now Holz! and telll her we hope she is alrite :D

and yea u guys have made it quite clear that the rotweiler is not a bad dog..its really a bad owner..but its strande that we always here about rotweilers attacking more than any other breed..but that is probably the media trying 2 be biased towards rotweillers and build them a bad rep..juss like rowie said the media likes to play around with imformation :roll:[/quote]

Glad you agree Snoop! :D Sorry I thought you where a troll! LOL! It's cuz you didn't reply! :lol: Sorry 'bout that!

Guest Anonymous

to me i feel that any dog can be mean but it just depends on how you raise them. i have seen any breed be raise with love and stuff and some that were mistreated and stuff and the ones mistreated were more aggressive then the ones raised with love.

Guest Anonymous

That is HUGE part of the equation the things that decide how a dog will be are breeding, genetics, temperment, and socialization(not in that order). But when you have a naturally protective breed of dog you have to try arder to keep them social. because it not what they are inclined to naturally. Hence the people who make are very loving to their dog but lack on the socialization there dogs will be big lovers to them but when it meets a stranger as it was never socialized to trust them what do you thin kthe reaction will be? and people will just assume that the owner didnt raise the dog with love or the dog is neglected, when in actuality the dog is doing what his instincts tell him is right.

The rottie is a serious family dog they are intensly protective or family and home. They are large and phenominally powerful. to lack in any area is to set your self up for trouble when the dog matures and grows. its a lot easier to teach a 30 lb puppy to love strangers than a 100 lb juvenile that is already suspicious. so the dog is allowed to stay in the mindset that strangers are bad. The owner doesnt address the problem and then when the situation arrises forthe dog to have to be around other people they are aloof and untrusting, and sometimes even violent. its not the dogs fault at all he is doing what he always has the owner never encouraged the behavior but they also never showed the dog the proper reaction or taught them otherwise. So it is the owners fault that the dog is mean but its indirect, we need more aggressive pet owners in this world ther are far to many people who are content to get this big srtong dog and just feed and water it. a walk every now and then and that about it. people that will take the dogs out and do things with it, give it outlets for the ABUNDANCE of energy and give it a "job". everyone knows dogs are happiest wen they feel like they are working or doing something to please you. not laying in the backyard alone in a cold loveless kennel.

JMHO :black:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I have 2 Rottweilers. They are both alot to handle, but, if you are firm with them, they learn. Thier names are Sykes and Asher. They are the best dogs. They guard my home very well, and take pride in it. :) They are wonderful pets, but need alot of love, attention and discipline. If they are raised in a environment without those things, than no one is to blame but the owners. If you have a very agressive dog, there should be precautions you take to keep them safe and the people around you. They are a reflection on their owners. I wouldn't trade them for the world. [/img]

Last weekend, a friend of mine was taken ill and had to spend the day and night in the emergency room, so I went to her house to take care of her Rottie girl.

I had only met her dog twice before. When I got to the door she was barking, but as soon as I said hi to her she stopped barking. I spent about 6 hours with her, then went back to spend about 4 hours with my dogs, and then went back to spend the night with the Rottie girl. She was just the SWEETEST thing! She was giving me kisses, sitting in my lap, playing ball with me, and was just a wonderful dog. And this was after only meeting her twice previously (which had been about six months ago).

She only the second Rottie I have known personally, but they were both VERY nice dogs.

:angel: I own 3 Rotties and I would own more if I could. My babies are 4yrs, 1 1/2 yrs and 7 months. They vary from 70lbs to 135lbs. They are all angels. The first thing any owner of ROTTIES needs to do is be the LEADER. It is funny that I came across this board because the other day my boyfriend mentioned to me after a trainning session with our babies
" I don't understand how any dog bites someone." Our dogs are very well trained and are gentle giants. I own a multi family home and my dogs are loved by all my tenants and their visitors. I agree with everyone else that stated ROTTS are not all bad, there are only bad owners. :angel:

• 10 months later...
Guest Anonymous

[quote name='mouseatthebusstop']i agree with the others
[size=7][color=red]THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS JUST BAD OWNERS[/color][/size][/quote][color=cyan][/color]I'm special :evil: [/quote]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='melitney'][quote name='mouseatthebusstop']i agree with the others
[size=7][color=red]THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS JUST BAD OWNERS[/color][/size][/quote][color=cyan][/color]I'm special :evil: [/quote][/quote][color=violet][/color][size=6][/size]THEY ARE NOT ROTTIES THEY ARE ROTWEILERS! :D

Not rottweiler,but same situation
From The Daily Bitch

Why "Pit Bull" Bans are Bad
By now, it is well-known that breed-specific bans do not work. Pennsylvania, New York, Virginia, and Illinois have passed legislation prohibiting breed bans due to their ineffectiveness, and it is certain that other states will follow. The Alabama State Supreme Court ruled in 2003, concerning American Pit Bull Terriers (APBT), that "there was no genetic evidence that one breed of dog was more dangerous than another, simply because of its breed." In fact, the truth about pit bulls "according to the American Canine Temperament Testing Association, [is that] 95% of the American Pit Bull Terriers that took the temperament test passed, compared to a 77% passing rate for all breeds on average." Year after year, American Pit Bull Terriers have consistently scored 80% or higher on their temperament testing. This percentage is higher than dogs like Golden Retrievers, who are thought to be more mild-mannered than APBTs.

Many are not aware that the "pit bull" problem in their community is a dog fighting issue and not a breed issue. Politicians often turn on the news at night and see another attack by a "pit bull" on a child or an animal and decide that they are going to get rid of these vicious dogs once and for all, and that soccer moms everywhere will be so grateful they'll re-elect them in a landslide victory. Politics is after all often about lies and fake veneers, so why tell the truth about "pit bulls," if they even know it in the first place?

So maybe it's time to educate politicians and the public about these "pit bulls" that continue to be haphazardly banned. First, there is no breed called "pit bull." The slang term "pit bull" is often used to describe American Pit Bull Terriers, but there are also dogs that were bred to be fighters that are called "pit bulls," which encompass a handful breeds. Most people who've owned or worked with the dogs simply call them APBTs, AmStaffs, or Staffies, not "pit bulls," since the term "pit bull" is slang terminology most often used, or misused, by gang-bangers, dog fighters, and the media to incorporate several breeds of dog

Guest Anonymous

I own a few rotties and a GSD - all are trained personal protection dogs. While they can be very protective of both our house and us personally - they are all very loving pets at home. We know what they are capable of and are always careful to respect their limits and their triggers for agression but these dogs have been trained for that. Our dogs have been taught to respect the pack order where my partner and I are the pack leaders, then the dogs in their order and then everyone else.

I know our oldest rottie has a few days when he is a bit moodie and more likely to growl - this is only due to age and we respect that. We do all get out of the bed on the wrong side every once in a while.

My friends once asked me if I was scared living with these dogs when I know what they are capable of but to be honest I am more scared of untrained little fluffy next door.

I have been bitten at least three times - each time it was an unprevoked attack while walking down the street (on two ocassions I have crossed to the other side of the road but the dog still charged across the road and bite me). The three dogs where all small "cute" little dogs who are flightly and untrained - there was no reason for the attack.

While I don't believe there is such a things as a "dangerous breed" I do believe every dog is capable of causing and injury (regardless of size) - it all depends on the training they get. Every dog has a limit at which point they can and will snap.

Some breeds seem to get a bad reputation (by media etc) but how many papers would they sell if the headlines has a story like "Sausage dog mauls boy" or "Maltese bites lady as she walks down the street".

Each dog needs to be treated as an individual dog and not judged as a breed. Like people they can be good and not so good.

I have two Rottweilers and they are both obedience trained. I do not dominate them at all, I respect them as they do me. The do not offer me or anyone else any bad behaviour or stand over tactics because they are trained to take their lead from me. They hold a command until I release them irrespective of the situation because they trust my judgement.

The trouble with a lot of Rottweiler owners is that they are not as smart as their dogs. They think domination is the way to go. It is not. Training is the way to go.

A Rottweiler instinctively knows when its owner is not capable of taking charge of a situation (the stupid owners) so the dog will step in and take charge.

Fair, just and intelligent training is a requirement of a good and obedient Rottweiler.
*aside: Rott n pitt. I get so upset when I see that pic of that very overweight Rottweiler on a chain.* Please tell me why the dog needs to be chained up and have you cosidered a diet change so he/she can get down to a healthy weight? Sorry if this offends you, it's that I love this noble breed and it pains me to see them not at their very best. I honestly do not mean to cause offense.

Guest Anonymous

Anne- Daz offends you? Good, because it offends me too. Its a very strange situation that got my boy outside on a chain. He doesnt live on the chain mind you, but he is on it from time to time. My parent have THE BEST privacy fence ever, my dad built it himself so it has these cool little locking doors and a huge gate that goes across the driveway. The problem, if the gate is closed you cant park in the driveway. So in the evenings when they are coming and going the privacy fence has to be open, and to keep Daz in a chain is required.
His weight also attributed to his current situation. I do my best to get over to see him and get him walked and ran, but to be honest I have three pit bulls and they are a lot of work to keep in shape and conditioned. I get Daz out at least twice a week, sometimes more. that pic is decieveing because it was just after winter and he always puts on weight over the winter. He actually is starting to look like a fit rottie now, and its just going to get better as the weather gets warmer.
As far as him being a outside dog now, this makes me the maddest of anything because He was always my house dog, slept in the bed with me(took up more room than me) and everything.
My mother is a little bitty lady about 4'8" and she is scared of Daz, well not scared but intimidated by his size. Daz knows this and doesnt listen to her at all. I have been working with her and him getting her to do OB with him and such, lots of treats and praise all around. he does great when either my dad or I am there, buts its when its just them is there a problem. So to keep my mom comforted his days are spent outside my dad converted the garage into a doggy heaven, complete with heat and air conditioning, a huge queen sized bed, water and food dispensers(I hate those things) and everything.
I am against chain set ups, but I cant control another persons house hold. I can protest and voice my opinion, but the bottom like is its thier decision.

[quote]The dog groomers I spoke to said most of the bites they see are from Schnauzers, Cocker Spaniels, Westies, Scotties, and Dachshunds.[/quote]
:lol: I had to laugh at this statement...of course these are the breeds we as groomers are going to see the most bites from! these breeds are the groomers bread and butter...these dogs which need to be groomed.
I know alot of groomers throughout North America; met through seminars...not many of us have alot of Rotties, APBT's, etc. come in for grooming. At the shop I work at we bath about 4 Rotties a year and no APBT's. The breeds we are wary of are Chow Chows & Akita's....one groomer had her face torn off by a chow, the groomer I work for was attacked by a chow (she will not let any one in the shop groom chows but herself), a few other groomers in our area have been attacked by chows...and the worst thing is; they are harder to read the body language off than other dogs...and Akitas have done alot of damage to some groomers we know as well. The biggest difference between big breeds biting and small breeds is the mark they leave behind...and in some cases depending on the breeds -"breed typical motor patterns" and "hypertrophied motor patterns" this will make a big difference in the outcome of an attack...some breeds have the full series of motor patterns which would lead from eyestalk to chase to grab-bite to kill bite..some breeds for working purposes were breed not to go past the chase motor pattern...the rest of the series of motor patterns were deleted to perform the job it was designed to do. Different Breeds were bred for different working abilities...Rotties for droving cattle, for this job the hard wired motor pattern was orient/eye-stalk/CHASE/GRAB-BITE/kill bite. I think people should do a little research on the breed they are purchasing...instead of what breed of dog will suit my lifestyle...it seems people are more into asking...what breed of dog will make me look good.

[quote]next I polled a number of veterinarians. One veterinarian said to me, "Give me a so-called vicious Pit Bull over a Cocker Spaniel, Dachshund, or even a Lab any day!! These are the breeds I have the most problem with." Another vet concurred saying that in years of working at a veterinarian clinic she never once encountered a single vicious Pit bull yet had problems all the time with Cocker Spaniels and Yorkshire Terriers. [/quote]
I don't know where this vet clinic is...at the clinic I work at we really enjoy dealing with the Lab's and Goldens...they are the easiest breeds we have to deal with. We only have about 4 APBT's which come into our clinic...of these 4... 2 have attacked, one attacked its owner and tore her arm apart, the other attacked one of our vet tech's. We have 10 Rottie's which the vets dread seeing, these ones are unpredictable...one attacked its owner during a routine exam and vaccines...the man had ALOT of stitches to put his face back together. As for Cocker Spaniels, we probably see about 5 a day...we have no problems with Cockers...the only ones which give us problems are the spoiled ones, the genetically screwed up ones, the ones with chronic ear infections which Cockers are prone to.
I think any dog breed can be bad, little or big. Alot of people make the mistake of getting the wrong breed for their lifestyle...some people spoil their dogs, some owners are frightened of their dogs and they end up with a cocky bully which runs the house hold...some dogs are genetically screwed up.
Some dogs can be bad due to their hard wired motor patterns...we forget at times that the bad qualities we may find in a pet would be sought after in the working feild.
I own a Rottie, and I love her to peices...but, my Rottie displays all her hard wired motor patterns which would have made her a wonderful working dog. Her predatory drive which is natural for her breed can be dangerous in some situations. Understanding is the key...I think our public and potential owners should be better educated about motor patterns and breed specific hard wired patterns and hypertrophied motor patterns. Not every dog within a breed will display these motor patterns...alot of our kennel clubs want the physical conformation without the behavior conformation (one reason why alot of our purebreds have genetic diseases...you can't bred one without the other without the breed falling apart). But, if more people understood the potential perhaps we would be a safer world.

thanks so much for your post Rott N Pitt and thanks for not taking offence at my post. It has eased my mind somewhat.

Sounds like your boy is loved and that is what counts. Glad to hear he is not chained up 24/7. Though his set up sounds pretty good it's a pity he can't be inside, especially with you.

I am also small (about 4ft 11 if I cheat an inch) and have two Rotties but I am not intimidated by them at all. I have done obedience training with them and they are obedient and easy to manage.

They are a wonderful breed, very loyal and devoted.

[quote]THEY ARE NOT ROTTIES THEY ARE ROTWEILERS![/quote]

Why is this an issue? I have a Labrador Retriever/German Shorthair Pointer mix, and an American Foxhound...I call them "the Lab and the Hound..." and as already posted, Rottweiler has two "T's"....

I dont even call her a Lab/GSP anymore...it takes too long....

I admit the one T may have been a typo, but why get so upset over it?
Rott 'N' Pitt's name is too long...we all call him Rott....or RNP...he doesnt mind....

people have shortened my online name to "Court"...I dont care....my name is actually Katy....we arent professional typists, most us of.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: