Dogomania

Are Rotweilers really as violent as the media tells us?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

How bad would it suck to have to say:
nova scotia duck tolling retriever everytime you wanted to talk about your dog?
or american pit bull terrier?
even shorter names get shortned its endearing, much like people you love or like you have little nicknames for. i know we have tons in my family.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Just adding: THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS/PETS: ONLY BAD OWNERS.
My Rotties are the most lovealbe creatures. The grandchildren play with them, including sitting on them and playing hide and seek going into there pens. PETS NEED LOVE AND CARE AND THE BIGGER THE PET, THE MORE LOVE AND CARE IT NEEDS! Mine is sweetie-pies. If a rotweiler do not receive love and attention, it will not give love! The biter on out yard is the small maltese poodle.
LOVE YOUR ROTWEILERS AND THEY WILL LOVE YOU!
Love to all those wonderful rotties out there.

Guest Anonymous

My rottie is the sweetest dog. she'd never hurt a fly,
she does guard and protect the house, she'll bark when someone rings the doorbell or knocks but it's just a mask. she barks all mean then waggs her little nub until she gets some loving

[quote name='Dog Lover']
PITTIES (pit bulls) ROCK MY FACE OFF! :ylsuper:[/quote]
:B-fly: Me too! :wink:
Seriously though, this business of saying "There are no bad dogs, just bad owners" is a half-truth. Its apparent none of you have ever raised a dog with a questionable temperament. YOu would def. be singing a different tune if you had a dog from puppyhood, socialized it and did everything in your power to raise it properly, and it ended up with behavioral issues. I agree that 8 times out of 10 behavioral problems are due to the owner, but dont forget about shmucks breeding dogs that have no business being bred. Socialization is VERY important, but sometimes it cannot overcome genetics.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='hillside']Devotees of just about every breed shorten thier breeds name. :roll:[/quote]

yup! i have a rottie, and an Aussie ;)

[quote name='drjeffrock']Seriously though, this business of saying "There are no bad dogs, just bad owners" is a half-truth. Its apparent none of you have ever raised a dog with a questionable temperament. YOu would def. be singing a different tune if you had a dog from puppyhood, socialized it and did everything in your power to raise it properly, and it ended up with behavioral issues. I agree that 8 times out of 10 behavioral problems are due to the owner, but dont forget about shmucks breeding dogs that have no business being bred. Socialization is VERY important, but sometimes it cannot overcome genetics.[/quote]

Just wanted to nod from the amen corner and shout out a hallelujah. It really irks me when people jump on a pedestal or their personal soapbox to spout off that dogs are SOLELY a product of their upbringing and environment and that ANY behavioral issue can be cured with enough "love." They just haven't met the right dog yet.

[quote]PETS NEED LOVE AND CARE AND THE BIGGER THE PET, THE MORE LOVE AND CARE IT NEEDS![/quote]
I'm glad you love your big dogs, but that statement is ludicrous. Perhaps this kind of logic explains why your Maltese/Poodle is a biter.

[quote]Seriously though, this business of saying "There are no bad dogs, just bad owners" is a half-truth. Its apparent none of you have ever raised a dog with a questionable temperament. YOu would def. be singing a different tune if you had a dog from puppyhood, socialized it and did everything in your power to raise it properly, and it ended up with behavioral issues. I agree that 8 times out of 10 behavioral problems are due to the owner, but dont forget about shmucks breeding dogs that have no business being bred. Socialization is VERY important, but sometimes it cannot overcome genetics.
[/quote]

Amen. yes, the majority pf "bad dogs" are raised wrong, or ill-treated, or
abused....but you cant get around genetics either. Bad breeding can cause a perfectly normal seeming dog to go ballistic, out of the blue. Especially in the purebred space, since we are deliberately changing the natural genetics of the animal. That doesnt mean mixes are better by any means.
Please dont think that. I have seen and known mixes that sudden;y became neurotic over time, even with good owners. But I have seen more problems with purebreds who were bred unscrupulously....like the Golden down the street. Removed half of a childs face, simply because the child
reached out to pet it. you dont expect that from a Golden. They have been bred for centuries to be gentle, people loving dogs. For all the years he lived down the street, he always appeared to be. He was never abused by his owners, he was usually very good around people, even strangers.

He had a big yard to run in, got tons of exercise, living in a family with 5 children who played with him all the time. But something snapped, and he ended up being put down because they could find nothng physically wrong with him to account for his actions. Now, he was not obedience trained, or trained at all, but neither was he abused, chained, mistreated. To all appearances, he looked like the typical laid-back Golden. So was this an owner issue, or a breed issue? The vet thinks bad breeding. He could romp
in his yard with his family and the neighbor kids all day, and never showed one sign of aggression....

no one will ever really know. and in my honest opinion, and I say this from the heart, I have no real preference between mixes and purebred's.
I choose mixes because I rescue, although my hound is a rescued purebred. the ONE breed I truly believe should always remain pure is the Pit. Because of their tendency to animal aggression, and the fact that the well bred ones have little to no people aggression. But I'm one of those hard-headed fanatics that believe that you shouldnt be allowed to own one without proper training on the animal and it's characteristics. No one is born knowing how to care for a dog. you have to learn from experience, or be trained to it. I believe these dogs, and Rott's and Dobies, should come with training. Just to be safe. Same with Akita's and Chows, etc.

Actually, I think ALL dogs should come with training. But if we're gonna start somewhere, lets start with the bad rep's first.

I fail to see how all dogs can 'come with training' when they are sold as a rule as 8 week old puppies. Unfortunately training is not hereditary.

It is up to breeders to fully explain the need for obedience training to their prospective purchasers. If the purchaser is not interested in doing ob training then they don't get the dog. Simple really.

Cross bred dogs are just as likely to bite as pure bred dogs simply because there are more of them. Statistics show(no I don't have them to hand- you need to do a search) that most bites are from entire, cross bred male dogs.

It's just that to the media a cross bred dog bite is not as dramatic or sensational as a Pit Bull, Rottweiler, GSD etc., and the media is about sensationalism and selling papers, watching their TV chanels etc., bland stories just don't cut it with the media.

How many times do we hear that a dog bite involves a cross of one of the maligned breeds yet a picture will show no resemblance at all to the Pitty, Rottie, or GSD.

The upshot is that cross bred dogs feature very prominantly in bites.

Reputable breeders of pure bred dogs do indeed breed for temperament as well as looks. This does not happen in the world of cross breeds.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='anne3149']I fail to see how all dogs can 'come with training' when they are sold as a rule as 8 week old puppies. Unfortunately training is not hereditary.

It is up to breeders to fully explain the need for obedience training to their prospective purchasers. If the purchaser is not interested in doing ob training then they don't get the dog. Simple really.

Cross bred dogs are just as likely to bite as pure bred dogs simply because there are more of them. Statistics show(no I don't have them to hand- you need to do a search) that most bites are from entire, cross bred male dogs.

It's just that to the media a cross bred dog bite is not as dramatic or sensational as a Pit Bull, Rottweiler, GSD etc., and the media is about sensationalism and selling papers, watching their TV chanels etc., bland stories just don't cut it with the media.

How many times do we hear that a dog bite involves a cross of one of the maligned breeds yet a picture will show no resemblance at all to the Pitty, Rottie, or GSD.

The upshot is that cross bred dogs feature very prominantly in bites.

Reputable breeders of pure bred dogs do indeed breed for temperament as well as looks. This does not happen in the world of cross breeds.[/quote]

Actually, if you look at FATAL dog attacks, the majority are purebred dogs who look like the breeds they are purported to be. The only exception is wolf/dog mixes, which are a special case.

If you have any pictures of purported pit bulls (for example) who have been involved in a fatal dog attack which "show no resemblance" to purebred pit bulls, it would be interesting for you to post them. Every single picture I have seen of a dog identified as a pit bull which was involved in a fatal attack is absolutely recognizable as a pit bull. I am not saying that an exception could not be found somewhere, but the vast majority of dogs involved in fatal attacks are accurately identified by breed.

For example, the pit bulls who went on a rampage and killed the woman in Colorado last year were dogs owned by a person breeding and selling pit bulls. One would think that the bloodlines of those dogs would have been identified by the pit bull community and a huge effort would have been made to make sure that relatives of those dogs were spayed/neutered. I never saw a single effort to do anything like that.

primrose

[quote]I fail to see how all dogs can 'come with training' when they are sold as a rule as 8 week old puppies. Unfortunately training is not hereditary[/quote]

no no...you misunderstood. I meant that you shouldnt be allowed to buy or adopt the dog without agreeing to have it trained, or prove yu can train it. I didnt mean the dog "comes" trained....

by "come with training" I meant kinda like a package deal. You want this dog, you have to agree to get it trained.

:wink: :wink:

Ah. cultural difference in the way we speak. Australian here!!

Agree with you 100% courtnek.

Primrose: I don't know about Colorado. I am in Australia and I see time and time again on TV news how a particular breed of dog attacked and when a pic is shown of the dog it does not look at all like the breed.

Just recently a chap who had been attacked in the street by two dogs insisted they were ' Big Black Rottweilers". As it happens the dogs and owner were found and they were Ridgeback crosses. The victim did not even get the color of the dogs correct.

Perhaps the media in your country is more dog savvy than the media here. It used to be that most attack dogs were called Rottweilers, now they are being called Pit Bulls.

Are you suggesting that only pure bred dogs will bite??????