Dogomania

*sigh* I'm in trouble now...

courtnek

walking dogs. on leash.man with Dobie offleash. Dobie runs up and attacks Laurel, who's a complete wimp. Free defends. Bit Dobie, actually took Dobie down and hurt him.

bit him in the neck, he was bleeding. owner says its MY fault cuz MY dog was "aggressive"....so the police come and say it will have to be decided in COURT!!! there's a FREAKIN LEASH LAW HERE!!!

this dog was offleash. I am now gathering up witnesses. this is BS...

AAARRGGHHHH!!!!

I HATE people...

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Well in the sue happy environment, you could sue as he is a twat and obviously in the wrong and therefor harrassing you, not to mention the mental trauma to you and the dogs from the incident. As soon as he drops the charges - drop the suit, although that might be underhanded and overburden an already drowning court system so hell - go through with it. Idiot deserves to suffer, he risked you, your dogs and his dog but not using a leash.

:o I'm so sorry about this trouble, Courtnek. That's something you never expect when you take your dogs out for a stroll. :x

The officer will have noted all of this down in his report. I would think the dobie's owner will clearly be found at fault. But it's still dang discouraging to have to go through all the court nonsense....

All the guy had to do was have his dog leashed! :evil:

[quote name='courtnek']positive note..the cops are on my side.dog was offleash. they asked him if he knew the laws, he said he didnt..

"ignorance of the law is no excuse....."

WOO HOO!![/quote]

AH HA! says HF who's not an attorney, but plays one online sometimes. This means the guy admitted to the COPS that his dog was offleash, and what better credible witnesses in court than law enforcement officers (err from the judge's eyes). He can't go into court and change his story and say his dog was on a leash without ruining his credibility. Either way, he loses (he admits his dog was offleash, or he's a liar). I smell a slam dunk!

If he goes into court and swears an oath and then proceeds to tell the court his dog was on lead, he's committed perjury, especially if there are witnesses, including the police, who will say the dog was off lead. He'd be in more trouble doing that than he would otherwise. Could you sue for trespass to goods as well? :P

Calling Judge Wapner! 8)
I'm so glad the police noted that the guys dog was offleash. That REALLY swings the decision in your favor. It is too ridiculous that you even have to go to court, YOUR dogs were onleash, YOUR dogs were minding their business, YOU were adhering to the law. It's a danged shame the cops did not have the authority to on the spot say tough to the guy, his dog was offleash and therefore he is clearly in the wrong. OF COURSE a dog under attack should have the right to fight back.
Are your two dogs ok? Either of them bitten? I gather you were not bitten, you would really have a case against him if so but I'm very glad you were not.

the cops saw the dog offleash. I called them from my cell. he was holding his dog by the collar when they arrived. they had an AC officer with them as well, who was haranguing the guy about the leash law. no tickets were written, he was warned to not be seen with his dog offleaash anymore, and they got his vets name and number and will verify his shots, even though he had tags on. I keep my shot records, and since it was close to the house I went home and got them for the cops, so Free didnt need to be quarantined. so the only court case would be if the guy sued. I got statements frommy neighbors who saw it, and the cop is going to talk to them today as well.

I asked him why he didnt ticket the guy, and he said because then you have to go to court, and if you come up against a judge who is in the BSL and "vicious dogs" group, you could lose, even tho he was breaking the law. smart cop, thought ahead. so the only way this comes to court is if he tries to sue.

8)

I'm glad for you that the police were actually trying to be helpful, all to often it they seem to be begrudgingly doing their day-in-day-out jobs without without concern for how their crappy attitudes can affect other people's lives. But that's a whole other issue.

I hope you're not worrying too much about this fiasco at this point. Hopefully this clown will be smart enough (though this has yet to be seen) not to file a civil suit, and I doubt that he will seeing as how the police were alredy involved and likely to testify against him. And even if it does come to a suit, and if (big IF, really big IF) you do lose against him I think the only thing he can sue you for would be the cost of his dog's medical care. I know little about legal issues, but I'm pretty sure that you can't get restitution for emotional damages where pets are concerned because they are property and are 'legally' only worth their physical value.

thats correct. you know more than you think. medical would be the only issue, and he wasnt hurt that bad. yea, there was a bite mark and some blood, but not much at all. Free let go as soon as he backed down. she even warned him 2 or 3 times, by snapping and posturing (which the neighbors also saw) and when he wouldnt back down, then she bit him.

the funny part was that the guy kept calling her a "bitch", which had me cracking up...he apparently didnt realize that ALL female dogs are considered "bitches"....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

**update****

Officer Dude (not his real name, obviously ) came by and took the neighbors statements and then came and talked to me for a while. I asked him why he didnt ticket the guy, because obviously he was offleash and thats against the law here...his answer surprised me. he said there is a growing front of BSL people (BSL is illegal in this town right now) and "aggressive dog" people trying to ban Pits, Rotties, the usual scenario. he said if he wrote a ticket, I would have to go to court, and if I came up against a BSL or aggressive dog judge, there is a possibility I could lose. by NOT writing a ticket, the only way this will ever see a courtroom is if he sues, and he doesnt believe the guy will, since the officers pointed out to him that he was breaking the law.

he has hounds! two of them. Tree walkers! he felt bad for Laurel cuz his hounds are gentle beasts as well, and he knows how they would react if this happened. He said it was good I decided to take Free and wanted to know what kind of dog she was. I said Lab X and he looked startled, then checked her over and said "I see pointer and possible shepherd in her. the tail is shepherd"...so he knows his dogs. I know she has pointer and have always suspected shepherd, because of the tail. (he meant GSD)
I was surprised at how easily she accepted him checking her out. she's not usually good with people she doesnt know, not aggressive, just wary....but she liked him right off the bat. (to me, thats a sign he's a good guy. I trust her instincts more than mine)

so I feel much better now, and I've made a new friend. sometimes things happen for the oddest reasons....

[quote]The cop sounds like a great guy. Free likes him and he knows dogs and loves hounds. I hope you got his number! [/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: he he, that is the first thing that popped into my head too - new man in courtnek's life :wink:

that crossed my mind as well, but, alas..married with children...which is ok, but damn...I hope she appreciates him!!

he is very nice and told me about a park where he takes his dogs..(him and his wife go) so I might check it out...

how come I'm always a day late and a dollar short?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

awwww...thanks! you guys are the best. I told him about Dogo, by the way, and said if he has issues to come here. he laughed and said he might.; if he does, he will log on as "officer Dude" which is what I kept calling him (I couldnt pronounce his last name if I had to. it was about 13 characters long....)

:lol: :lol: :lol: