Dogomania

Zebra has HD

StarFox

I'm so upset. We went to the vet today so we could get X-rays done of Zebra's hips. See this past week Zebra's back legs kept giving out when he was running and he would fall down. So we decided to have X-rays done to make sure he didn't have Hip Dysplatia (HD). Well we waited at the vets for a half hour and got the results of the X-rays. Zebra has HD. In fact in has very serious HD. In the X-rays his right hip is perfect but his left hip is horrid. It's like there is no socket for his bone to rest in so it constantly slips out. It's just awful..I'm sitting here crying my eyes out because I'm so upset. This isn't something that can be fixed with simple medication and anti-inflamitories. There are three things that our vet recomended
1. Put him on pain killers, anti-inflamatories and other medications. But this will not work because eventually he will be in to much pain for any of these to work.
2. Reconstruct part of the hip. I'm not exactly sure how they would do this. But we decided against it.
3. Total hip replacement. This surgery should be done in the next 3 to 5 months. It is 95% effective and last a life time. We have decided to do the hip replacement. But the down part is it cost 5000 dollars. We do not have that kind of money..but somehow we will come up with it. Zebra is a family member and deserves the best.

So as for now he is on Deramaxx, a diet so he looses weight and no strenuous play. '

Part of me is so upset and sad because of what we found out. ANd part of me is furious because I know that if people were responsible and neuterd there pets or didn't breed just for the hell of it, I wouldn't have to be dealing with this. Now that zebra has HD I am even more upset with BYB and people who don't care enough to spay/neuter there pets. I'm sorry now I'm off on a whole other rant.

Well as for now my mom and I are the only ones that know. My brother is going to be upset when we tell him and..I think that even my dad is going to be devistated by this news.

Thanks for listeing..your like my big dog family and the only ones I know that will fully understand what I'm feeling.

I'm so sorry Starfox!!!!!!!! :( How upsetting! I'll be keeping Zebra in my prayers and thoughts. :( Keep us updated on how he's doing with this treatment. Also, I'd be willing to donate some money to help pay for his surgery, (if my parents will allow it that is) I couldn't donate much though. I'm sorry. :( :x goodluck to u and your family in this hard time! Goodluck Zebra, be strong! :angel:

Guest Anonymous

There are a few organizations out there that supposedly help out with this type of thing... I know IMOM is one: [url]www.imom.org[/url]

You might also try to get in touch with the rescue/shelter you got him from, as sometimes they do put aside a bit to help out should one of their former residents get into trouble.

Another option is to contact some local veterinary schools... from what I've heard, many do top-notch work, and the cost is usually a fraction of what it is in normal clinics.

Oh thank you Abker..Your such an :angel: . No money is needed, I plan on getting a job (if I can find one)...and I think were are going to borrow some money from some family members..but your offer is so sweet.

One thing I forgot to mention..next friday (the 12) we are going to see a DR. Robert L Rooks. He is Chief of Staff at All-care Animal Referral center. He was recomended by our vet because apparently he is one of the very best in the state. This is the web-site. I would appreciate any comment on what you think about him and his staff. Thanks.

[url]www.acarc.com[/url]

I am so sorry to hear about this starfox. :cry:

This has got to be very hard to deal with right now. :(

You and Zebra are in my thoughts and prayers. :angel:

What you are doing is wonderful for Zebra :D , most owners would just turn around and just put them to sleep. :(

We are all here for you and Zebra. :wink:

*Hugs* to both you and Zebra. I'm so sorry about his poor hips...we will all be praying for both of you!

My goal one day is to open a foundation that will help people pay for their pets' medical costs when they can't afford them...I even have a name picked out: The St. Martin de Porres Foundation. (He is one of my fave saints...he even had an animal hospital in 16th-century Panama, when veterinary care was unheard of.)

I am so sorry, my Rottweiler has HD also in her left hip...how ironic!

I also wanted to mention it is not just BYB's which contribute to HD...it happens to reputable breeders all the time...even with screening and never having had HD in the back ground it can still show up in a litter of pups. Some times in large breeds it can be caused by much more than just hereditary...some times due to lack of exercise while developing etc...things like this happen when you try to keep a dog locked in a purebred...the gene pool starts getting smaller and smaller...all kinds of hereditary diseases pop up...and when you breed against one disease another will take its place.

I am very sorry to hear about Zebra having HD...and I hope every thing goes well with the surgery....I have heard nothing but good things about total hip replacement. this way you and Zebra can have a long and active life together.

Sorry to hear about Zebra.

Tyr has fourth grade HD (as bad as it gets) and osteoarthritis in one hip that started at 6 months. He gets on just fine with his weight kept down, regular but moderate excercise, and Glucosamine and Chondroitine. He rarely ever needs aspirin. Keep Zebra happy and comfy till you can afford the sugers (and afterward of course) I'm sure it will work out fine.

Guest Anonymous

I don't know if a femoral head ostectomy was given as an option to you, or if it even is an option, considering the nature of the HD. My Lab, Tucker, had fho surgery last year. Basically, they remove the top part of the femur... that part that fits into the socket. Tucker's HD sounded similar to what you described. His ball and socket were barely making any kind of contact at all. The fho surgery was much, much less expensive than a total hip replacement. It has been almost exactly a year and Tucker is doing better now than he has in years. He runs and jumps like a young dog (he is about 6 years old). Prior to the surgery, he could barely stand from a sitting or lying position without groaning in pain. I know each case is different, so a total replacement might suit your needs better, but Tucker also had other irreparable damage to his pelvis and leg, so this was as good (actually better) than we expected. When he walks slowly, you can occasionally still see a bit of a limp, but it's nothing like it used to be where he couldn't even hardly put that foot down. Now he's romping like he did many years ago, still chasing trucks (down our fenceline, of course.... no access to the road). :)

Anyway, good luck to you and Zebra. I just wanted to give you positive input. Tucker's doing better than we ever expected!

HF

Thank you all so much for your support..your are all wonderful :angel: .

Well we go to see a surgeon next friday. He will tell us what kind of treatment will be best for Zebra. But considering his age 1 year and 3 months, and how bad the HD already is. I don't think we are going to have very many choices. Our vet told us that if some kind of surgery is done soon (as in the next few months) arthritis (sp?) will set in and cause allot of pain. I don't want to have to put Zebra down in 2 years because he is in so much pain..I just couldn't. My vet also said that since Zebra's heart and other internal organs were in perfect shape, and since he has a great temperment that he should be a great candidate for total hip replacement surgery.

I'm having a hard time dealing with this though. My mom and brother are very suportive but my dad isn't. At first my dad said sure that he has no problem with the surgery or the money..but then he talked to his freind who apparently is an "expert" on dogs. My dad's freind told him that the hip would have to be replaced every 3 years! That is such a lie! Total hip replacement is for the LIFE of the dog! His "friend" said that we should just put zebra on meds. Well that's not going to do much! Arthritis would still set in and the problem would still be there! God! I'm so pissed that my dad would take the word of his "freind" over our vets. This "freind" of my dad's was a vet assistant for a little bit but got fired (I don't know why though).

Oh and get this! today I was outside with Zebra and my dad said "well if Zebra dies I'll go out and buy you a new dog." :evil: I told my dad "I don't think i would want another dog." so He said - "Sure you would, it's the best way to get over an old pet." :evil: :x God I realy hate my dad his is such an @$$! I won't be able to get over the death of any pet by getting me a new one! God! How stupid can my dad be?! And the thing is Zebra isn't going to die! I will get him whatever he needs to be better. If there is no hope in making Zebra better and he is in pain then I will consider other options. But as of right now it's a money problem that we are facing. UH! sorry but what my dad said just realy got to me.

I'm considering going to a Holistic vet to get Zebra on a diet that might help him untill we get enough money for whatever operation Zebra needs. I think a good diet would help allot.

HF-Thank you for the positeve info. At a time like this I realy need as much positive info and thoughts as possible.

Once again thanks to everyone. If I didn't have you guys I don't know what I woud do. I love you guys. :buzi:

So sorry Starfox, you did mention on msn that you thought Zebra might have HD. I will be thinking of you both next Friday even though I'm on my hols, I won't forget you will be at the vets.

:iloveyou: Love and Kisses to Zebra, :buzi: :buzi: and hope he isn't in too much pain. :iloveyou: