Dogomania

my pregnant pitbull

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello everyone I am new here just joined today. I have two beautiful pitbulls. Kobe is my male yr. old dog, Angel is my pregnant dog. I just have a question for you all. Is there anyway to know when Angel is gonna be in labor? Is there anyway to find out if she's close to delivery? I know the easiest way is to take her to a vet but to be honest we can afford that right now. So any help would be apprecitated. Im just very anxious and cant wait.

A VERY EXCTIED OWNER.

I love my dogs.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

before i say this comment, just know that no offense is intended. :D

If you cant afford a simple checkup at the vet how can you possible afford a bunch of puppies? properly cared for they are VERY expensive.

just curious.....

Welcome to Dogo! :D
One thing that came to my mind as I read your post was, if u cannot afford to take your dog to the vet now, then will u be able to afford all the care that the puppies need? Breeding is a very exspensive thing to do. There are several things that could go wrong with one of the puppies or the mother dog.
I don't mean to rain on your parade, and wish u all the best of luck. Remember, we want to see lots of pics of the new puppies! :D

Not to be mean or anything, but if you cann't afford to take your dog to the vet now, what if she has problems delivering her puppies and needs to go to the vet right away? Or what if something happens to one of the puppies? Breeding costs a lot of moneyand you'd be lucky to break even if you sell the puppies. Also heath testing to make sure the parents should be bred is very expensive, so if you can't afford to take the dog to the vet I suggest you get her spayed.

But theres not much you can do about it now.

Gestation usually lasts 63 days, but the puppies may be delivered anywhere between 58 and 68 days

the body temperature is a good way of knowing when she's about to go in labour. when the temp goes as low as under 37 celsius degrees (normal: 38 and up), the labour will start within 6 -12 hours. other signs are that the bitch doesnt want to eat and is restless.

like i told in my tread, my girl is on her 8th week now and she is totally HUGE. her nipples are swolled and red, her belly is like a balloon.

this seems like a good one: [url]http://www.petbitsforyou.com/labour.html[/url]

Pit Bull Lover, welcome! :)

First off, I really do not intend to be mean, or rude, but I just have to ask you some questions.

Breeding is NOT for first time owners. Serious breeders only breed for the better of the breed, to improve their standards. BOTH dogs must be registerd with the AKC. (Although there are dogs that aren't recognized that are still bred, there is no problem with that. :wink:) BOTH parents, and grandparents should be health tested. Some breeders will breed for the fast buck. Believe me it is NOT fast! Here are some things that you need to pay for.

-Vet checkup and health clearances for both parents.

-Food, whelping box, and all nesecarry equipment.

-When puppies are born, health checkups for all of them, toys, different colored collars or ribbons to recognize differences between them if needed, medicine, crates, etc. etc.

-Cropping for all puppies if needed. Docking too.

All these may add up to more then 2000$! :o And those are SOME! I cannot think of the rest as I am too tired... :oops:

If you cannot afford a vet checkup, then how will you afford everything else? Also, a breeder does alot of research, so he/she would know about Labour and birth. Did you do your research?

Maybe I am mistaken. Please correct me if I am. :wink:

Good Luck! :D We would LOVE pictures! :wink:

-Rowie-the-Pooh :angel:

Well, I second what the others had to say, but the puppies are coming, and there isn't much you can do now! We will do our best to help you have healthy, happy puppies, if you PROMISE to get mom and dad fixed :D

Here is a link to a book that is supposed to be very helpful: [url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764508725/qid=1061409405/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-9993571-7280644?v=glance&s=books&n=507846[/url]

[color=indigo]I'm sorry for sounding rude but...

How could you possibly breed your Pitties (unless it was unintentional and you rescued her this way) if you don't even know the basics like when she should go into labor? I also second that you should already know very well that having a dog is expensive, along with vet care. caring for many puppies will just add to the cost.

I really wish you the best of luck with the articles and information given to you but I totally don't agree with this. :hmmmm: [/color]

Here's a link to a post on another board explaining all that goes into RESPONSIBLE "pitbull" breeding (ie: not breeding two puppies together and then being unable to afford vet care for them and the pups they have):
[url]http://pub177.ezboard.com/fdogcommunityfrm1.showMessage?topicID=3965.topic&index=58[/url]

Read the post by "Hartagold".

[quote name='riesa02'][quote name='Rowie-the-Pooh']
-Cropping for all puppies if needed. Docking too.
[/quote]

sorry to say this, but as cropping and docking are illegal in finland - it's sick to mutilate innocent puppies :([/quote]

I wish I lived in Finland then! :( I am against it too, but I'm guessing this person doesn't live in Finland. And Pit Bulls do sometimes have cropped ears (alhtough I love their floppy ears! :))

Guest Anonymous

Isn't Cropping illegal in all countries except the US?

I'm not a big fan of either. I understand some breeds of working/hunting dogs DO need their tails' docked - Fair Enough. But from what I've read most people dock/crop for cosmetic reasons :evil:

hi! i do intend to be rude...you are an idiot. i cannot believe that post, i can only hope it is some sort of sick joke. if you cannot afford to take your dog to the vet, you should not have a dog in the first place, nevermind breeding (whether it was an accident or not). there are thousands of abpts in u.s. shelters, most of which will die there. THANK YOU FOR ADDING TO THE PROBLEM. do your dogs a favor and find them a responsible owner.

to some of the dogo posters in this thread: it appalls me that you are being so supportive of this person. if you are going to take a stand against byb's and preach the plight of the shelter dog, then back up your stance.

[quote name='mydogroxy']to some of the dogo posters in this thread: it appalls me that you are being so supportive of this person. if you are going to take a stand against byb's and preach the plight of the shelter dog, then back up your stance.[/quote]

I don't think they are being "supportive" so much as knowing that there isn't much they can do now that the poor dog is already pregnant.
I'm with you though Roxy, why have a male and female dog if you aren't going to desex them? Why even get a dog if you can't afford to desex it? How irrisponsible? Why add to the number of dogs killed each day in shelters just because of your own stupidity? How ON EARTH do you intend to afford to vaccinate, microchip, worm and feed these pups? What will happen if you can't find homes for them all? I can see it now, a litter of pups waiting at the pound to die because someone was too irrisponsible to desex their dogs. Thats great, thats all the world needs, another litter of pups dying a horrible death, or worse still going to irrisponsible owners who will only bring down the image of this breed even further, preventing all us responsible owners from ever being allowed to own this lovely breed again.
Sorry, had to rant, I'm sick of people like this who are too irrisponsible to even own a dog, let alone breed from it. I don't intent to sound mean, but some one has to stick up for the poor doggies :-?
And on the topic of cropping (now that I'm in my little rant already), I think its sick to mutilate the poor puppies like that, not only sick but completely unnessissary (unless you plan to show in certain countrys, but there should be laws against that every where).

[quote name='Aonir']You know, I never heard of animal abortions til I came here, lol. The more I think about it, the more I think it's a good idea.

I think we scared the person away though :([/quote]

We got our cat an abortion once, she came into heat young and got pregnant, so naturally we got her desexed at the same time.

I don't think she should be scared away, I think she should face the facts, puppys aren't easy and no body should think that, not even for a second. If she let her dog get pregnant then she is responsible for making sure these pups get nothing but the best and go to good homes that wont fight or abuse them. If she hasn't replied its probably because she simply doesn't care, if she really cares she will stick around, listen to what we have to say and take our advise. Its as simple as that.
If she doesn't like what we are saying she should just get over it and learn from her mistakes, every one makes mistakes, unfortunatly this one doesn't only effect her, but her dogs as well and possibly even, if things go wrong, the future and destiny of the breed. She has made her mistake, the best thing she can do now is make sure all the pups find great homes and desex her dogs as soon as possible.

I absolutely agree with you, Aroura. My sister thought I was nuts taking on these kittens, but I got money saved up for just an emergency :D So she couldn't argue with me. If she didn't want to desex her dogs, she should have separeted them through the heat cycle. It can be difficult, but it CAN be done! Or use those doggie-panties. That'd also help even more. Kind of a low-ranked birthcontrol.

when i say people are being supportive i don't mean in a "hey good job on those pups!" kind of way. i DO think that the tone of many of these posts are entirely too forgiving. i understand that no one wants to scare her away so that she may be educated, but her behavior is not acceptable.

[color=darkblue]Well presuming the very best possible scenario[/color]:
This could be someone who is not aware of the horrible over population of dogs and the difficulty finding homes for pit bulls especially and someone who is not aware of all that should go into a breeding and that no breeding should be unplanned so that animal overpopulation and unsound breeding/traits are not contributed to and someone who is not aware that there are something like 6 cats and/or dogs born in north america for every person and that there are many special considerations to breeding as far as bitch and puppy health and safety and future home and life and betterment of breed genetics and public image.

[color=darkblue]I know that sounds like a lot not to be aware of but a lot of it is environment, you can't blame a person for not knowing things and holding a paticular opinion when they have not been exposed to an opposing opinion. There are lot of geographic area and social circles who have never been exposed to the facts on dog breeding or really given it much thought and that is the norm there.[/color]

I'm not saying this is OK or good but you have to educate before you can hold people accountable IMHO. I know the situation may sadden or anger you but I think we have to approach this from a here and now point of view. So:
1) There is a pregnant bitch.
2) The owner does not have the money for much in the way of vet care.
3) This seems to have been an unplanned litter so we can assume proper health checks were not completed
4) This is a breed with some history of bad breeding and a poor public image.

As I see it we further need to know:
1) How far along is the bitch?
2) What is the temperment, age, physical condition and health of the bitch and sire?
3) How much money can the person commit to vet care and supplies?
4) Is it too late to spay?
5) What are the priorites for their bitch/puppy care needs?

If the Pitbull_lover would respond perhaps we can help to do the best thing possible from this point forward. [size=6][color=red]Please do respond Pitbull_lover.[/color][/size]

[quote name='DogPaddle'][color=darkblue]Well presuming the very best possible scenario[/color]:
This could be someone who is not aware of the horrible over population of dogs and the difficulty finding homes for pit bulls especially and someone who is not aware of all that should go into a breeding and that no breeding should be unplanned so that animal overpopulation and unsound breeding/traits are not contributed to and someone who is not aware that there are something like 6 cats and/or dogs born in north america for every person and that there are many special considerations to breeding as far as bitch and puppy health and safety and future home and life and betterment of breed genetics and public image.[/quote]

Very good point DogPaddle!!!! The government is wasting so much money enforcing pointless BSL laws all over the place when in reality the money would be SO much better spent educating people on responsible dog ownership! TV commercials should be on every channel, showing graphic images of dogs at the pound, what could happen if people irrisponsibly breed their dogs, numbers on dogs put to sleep each year etc and they should reduce desexing prices etc. People need to know, good owners don't need to have their dogs taken away and killed simply because other people don't know about responsible dog owner ship. At least a trial, if they were to take one state, ban all BSL laws and instead have an ongoing responsible dog owner ship campaigne, compulsery micro chipping, rock bottom desexing prices, obedience programmes promoted, TV commercials, pamphlets handed out to all dog owners etc I bet they would show a dramatic difference, the number of dog attacks would decrease significantly, there would big a large reduction in the number of dogs at the pound and people and their dogs would be generally much happier and have a better relationship.
I know this would work, and would be willing to bet my life on it if thats what it took.

Scotty_lvr, we are a fairly friendly board judging from the several other similar forums I have seen. Many here are involved with animal welfare/breed rescue etc and the amount of dogs put to sleep is not only sickening and saddening but a constant source of frustration. a lot of it IS education, or lack thereof. there are not enough people being educated about the overpopulation crisis in shelters and too many myths still abound about the desexing of pets. DP and Aroura have made some excellent points, as has Roxy. this is a forum where we voice our opinions, some not as popular as others but there are strong personalities on here as you may well have guessed. We don't always agree with guests and we disagree amongst ourselves too. If you've been offended, sorry, but that's the way most forums operate! 8)