Dogomania

Is your dog afraid?

StarFox

I have a question for everyone. Does your dog fear anything? Like if he see's something or hears something does he get scared, bark or run away?

I was just curious because Zebra HATES Balloons...well actually he is more afraid of them then anything else and when he see's one he freaks out and runs like a bat out of He11! He also hates kids on Roller blades(no, not bikes or skateboards just roller blades). He also has a fear of Unbrellas that he got because my younger brother was teasing him with one and he hit the button and it opened up and scares the poo out of him. *sigh, younger siblings* :-?

So is your dog afraid of anything?

Fireworks on TV . . . Kavik runs and barks at the back door everytime it happens, I think he is afraid, some with the vaccum cleaner, he barks at it and attacks it but I think it may be fear related? Tyr - it hasn't occured to him to be afraid of anything. Zaphod - What could I possibly have to be afraid of, I'm a super swell guy, everyone and everything loves me.

My rottie Max is afraid of thunder and lightning. He comes to me for reassurance until the storm is over. This is a direct result of being home alone with his "brother" Ben during a tremendous straight-line wind storm that uprooted or snapped off at least twenty trees on our property (two of which narrowly missed our house). Ever since that fateful day, he has been very apprehensive about even regular rainy days. He will be headed outside to do his business, slow down at the laundry room, and hesitantly peer outside. It takes encouragement for him to go outside.

Last night we had a good lightning and thunder show and Max spent the evening plastered by me on the couch, panting and drooling! Poor boy! :oops: Ben, the saint, was oblivious.....as usual! :lol:

Hi,

My puppy Cosmic seems to be a little on the scardy side. :o

So far, he's been scared by a mineral water bottle and a plastic bag and some other ordinary household stuff like that. I've been trying to help him get used to these items by coaxing him with treats and showing him that they won't eat him. :wink: That usually works for us.

Does anyone else share the same experience or know of other ways to 'cure'?

My puppy, Chelsea is also afraid of many household items!! You have to desensitize your dog by almost making a game out of the loud noises or frightening objects. It takes a lot of time and work. I have noticed with Chelsea that she is finally starting to out-grow some of this. Also, she sees that I am not afraid, so my reaction sometimes calms hers. Don't make a big deal over the noises and calm the dog right away.

Shadow isn't afraid of ANYTHING!!! My obedience trainer said that she's seen statues jump higher when something happens. She's tryed dropping a metal chair, clipboards, yelling, etc. Nothing fasses (sp) her. LOL. I love it!!!

Rocky, on the other hand, is very scared of thunder and lightning. We have to put him inside his pet taxi and cover it up with a blanket so he doesn't see the lightning. Weird, eh? Otherwise, I don't think my dogs are scared of anything.

As our summer has now ended it is dark when I take Indy for his nightly walk and he started to freak out about the car lights, he would run and hide behind my legs. He normally has no problem with cars but as soon as it gets dark he hates the lights.

I have just kept taking him walking and talking to him in a happy voice and he seems to be getting over it - no hiding behind me anymore. Hopefully by next week they won't faze him at all.

Guest Anonymous

I am convinced that Dreydin doesnt know what fear is. he is only 4 months old and i already feel better that he is home with my girlfriend when im gone. when i come to the door he is right at her side watching the door to see who it is. and he barks at weird noises outside. even things that most dogs fear like the vacuum, he runs right up to it and tries to eat it. about the only thing i can find that he runs from is the doggie cologne i like to spray him with. its so funny i keep it in the bathroom, now he follows me in every room of the house but when i walk in to the bathroom he gets suspicious and will just watch me from the hall. He knows what the bottle looks like and will break and run to my girlfriend for protection(little does he know the cologne was her idea). :black:

The only time I have seen my 2 huskies scared was when a picture fell off of the wall. Other than that nothing bothers them at all. They don't mind lightening storms. they would go play in them if I let them. 4th of July they are outside laying on the grass watching them. Weird huh

BK is scared of cars, I think it's to do with his numerous experiences escaping from the yard and maybe coming close to being hit a few times. :( We went out yesterday and he shied away from at least 2 cars that I noticed. (I suppose it's taught him a lesson though.) He doesn't like fireworks either, I am pretty sure he's scared of them even though he runs around like an idiot barking at them. That's about it, he's pretty fearless otherwise. Except for the time we were walking down an alleyway at dusk doing a shortcut home, and on the other side of a corrugated iron fence this huge WOOF! came thundering out and BK jumped and squeaked and walked closer to me every time this other dog barked. :roll:

It's interesting to find out what everyone's dog is afraid of. Sometimes I wonder why Zebra is so scared of things that can't hurt him (like balloons) but is totally unafriad of things that can hurt him (like cars). :roll: And I know that allot of dogs are afraid of the vacuum but my dog isn't he "alpha's" it, then he tries to play with it....crazy dog.

Our rottie is scared of paper,tea towels, the bin lid, thunder and lighting, in fact there's not a lot he's not scared of. yet not people. Childern well he hate's them. If my freind calls round with her 2 boys we have to put him out and make sure he cant see them.
This is all due to the fact that he was beaten etc before we had him.he was 2years old when we rescured him and in that 2 years he had every thing you can think of done to him.It has taken a long time but he's as soft as a brush now.with adults and the most loveing dog with the family. I must admit it can be funny at time's when you see him cower down when you go to dry the dishes because he;s a big dog and to look at him you would'nt think he could be afraid of anything.We are still after 4 years trying to break him of all this fear.But i will never give up on him as he's so faithful to me,and i love him so very much. :P

Speaking of scared doggies I woke up at 6am this morning to hear thunder and Angel my old labx ret was outside as my hubby lets her out in the morning for wee's and I swear I woke up running got outside it was pouring with rain (in a drought so a good thing) she is terrified of thunder and lightening and of course fireworks she seemed to develope this fear when she was 9 year old which was weird luckily she was hiding in the feed shed :lol:

I took my two dogs to the barn today to see my horse, and we stopped at the car wash on the way (the kind where you sit in the car while it's stopped). Maya was a little concerned, but Jackie jumped in the front seat and almost into my lap! That was REAL scary!

Maya is afraid of the hose when it's turned on. If it's just laying there, she's okay, but if there's water coming out, she's outta there!

I've had some dogs that have afraid of things in a funny/crazy way, and some that have been afraid in a sad way. I had a dog named Wallace who ran as a team dog on one of my training teams(team dogs are in the middle between the leaders and the dogs nearest the sled). We were going down a trail one morning and someone had thrown a bag of leaves in the ditch beside it- you know the kind that you get for halloween with the big googly eyes? Well old Wallace sees this and literally faints- stops running, stops pulling- out. I wasn't going too fast, so I stopped and went up there and by this time he had gotten back on his feet and was looking a bit sheepish- tail going, the whole works. One of the strangest things I'de ever seen a sled dog do. On the other extreme I had a Malamute/Alaskan cross that was a neighborhood rescue- the guy that had had her wouldn't tie or kennel her so she went around the neighborhood killing chickens, chasing cows and generally being a nuisance. One farmer next door called me up cause he knew I had sled dogs and asked if I wanted her because she was harrassing his cows(A [b]big[/b] no-no in Wisconsin) I took her, and she turned out to be the sweetest dog in the world(except for the livestock thing :roll: ) Well, the first time we mowed the lawn, we realized that not only had the guy that had her neglected her, he had abused her as well by chasing her with the lawn mower while she was tied up :( ! She would literally go into shock when we got the mower out, so after that I would put her in my dog truck travel trailer so she couldn't see the mower. Poor old dog. I have since placed her in a pet home and she is a very happy dog! :D

Guest Anonymous

[b]My dog is scared of his shawdow. we bought our dog Buddy who is a white snoodle when he was 6 months old and the dog barks at everything, I thought taking him to training would help but it does'nt who ever has a barking dog would know how fustrating it is, it is like having a baby cry all the time. He is now 5 years old and I cannot stop him from barking my vet say's it is because he is afraid. You do not understand I cannot even take my dog out for walks or keep him outside for long periods of time help me what do I do with my barking dog??? :cry: [/b]

my yorkshire terrier caled Joe is scared stiff of the hoover, when anyone switches it on he rushes upstairs and hides under my sons bed! Yet my Lurcher cross called Shaddow adores the hoover and one of his favorite things is to be hoovered :roll: , he begs whoever`s doing the hoovering to get the hose part and hoover up and down his back!! lol. Shaddow is one of those that dosen`t seem to be scared of anything. The funniest one of all is Barney my jack russell he is only scared of one thing which is if he or anyone else "breaks wind" !!, he runs away with his tail between his legs and hides!! , bless him, LOL.

I hope you mean [u]WHAT ISNT MY DOG AFRAID OF[/u], cuz thats a much smaller list :D

Hes a border collie and spooks easily. He is afraid of the vacuum, thunder, my fan, a cord hanging from the wall, an alligator head i got in Florida( he knows it as the MONSTER), my gazelle exercise machine, the word "fifty", and the words"zoom zoom zoom"
and for some reason the state of Florida. Guess its because thats where the"Monsters"head is from. :roll:

there are more, but i cant remember them all.

Right now my dogs are playing with a ladybug! How cute!!