Dogomania

things groomers should NOT do to dogs...

courtnek

I have a friend with 3 dogs. she called me frantic today because her one long haired dog had gone in for grooming. bath and "fall trim" (as she called it) she brought Brighton home (malamute mix) and the other dogs have been snapping at him and growling. he looked very "uneasy" according to her, and was just taking the abuse, which he normally would NEVER do...I got there. Brighton smells like a flower array (herbal essence smell) and has a bandana on his neck. also smells like flower array.
They bathed him in something very flowery, and put the bandana on. I had to request my groomer to NOT do that with Jarvis (I couldnt stand it)
during his semi-annual "trims"...he would make himself dirty rolling on the lawn in every nasty patch he could find. which is what we did with Brighton. I took him out, took the bandana off, and let him roll in fresh
cut weeds, yes, weeds...I have a brush pile behind the shed. After rolling in the weed, he was much more confident (the flower smell was gone) and the other dogs stopped snapping at him. who would think shampoo would cause an issue???

we gotta stop treating them like people....

8) 8)

[quote name='courtnek']we gotta stop treating them like people....[/quote]

that's the bottom line! so many times every single day i have exactly the same thought and it pisses me off how so many people treat their dogs like $%^(@# little people in a fur suit.

we would have a lot less neurotic, snappish, or just simply ill behaved dogs if people could get the notion out of their heads that dogs should be treated like people.

/rant

[quote]let him roll in fresh cut weeds, yes, weeds[/quote]

You say that as if that's a bad thing...? My dog prefers rotten mice/other dead animals, animal dung, burnt trash, moldy hay, floresent spray paint and latex paint, oil spills, gasoline (and any other toxic chemical you can think of) and pond mud. Very rarely will she ever roll in something that doesn't small like a dead horse or a garbage pit.

~Seij

p.s- I try my best to keep her away from the toxic chemicals and paint. She tries her best to smear the junk all over her body. I will never LET her do it though if possible.

I have actually heard people ask for that "nice flowery stuff" when they bring the dogs in for baths. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I prefer the smell of the clean dog, clean fur has a unique and comforting smell to it. Oh and Brighton's a husky mix, not malamute. I was thinking of
Jarvis when I posted it. I have used herbal essence on my hair, I like the way it smells on me, but not on a dog, and they obviously dont like it so why do it? I thought the fresh weed cuttings would help get the flower smell out quickly, since they were still full of plant sap. So Brighton is no longer really "clean", but he's happier. Sara said she spent two hours brushing him afterwards.

the way I understood it, perfume was invented to cover up body odor way long ago when bathing was not a common practice..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another issue is; there are too many people and animals alike who suffer from severe allergies. There are many people who are scent sensitive and there are many dogs which would break out if cologne were spritzed on.
For the dogs leaving our shop we like the dogs to smell clean. We like using natural shampoos/conditioners. There is no need to spray on cologne.

[quote name='Cassie']For the dogs leaving our shop we like the dogs to smell clean. We like using natural shampoos/conditioners. There is no need to spray on cologne.[/quote]
I agree. I like the smell of CLEAN dogs. Sometimes when I'm feeling kind of lazy, I'll have a groomer friend of mine bath a couple of my own dogs for me :oops: . She douses them so heavily in some Hawaiian citrusy, fruity something or other that gives me a headache. It's such a habit for her that she forgets when I ask her not to. Man, that smell lingers.

I have to admit that I keep a bottle of lightly scented cologne on hand. While most of my clients are happy with a CLEAN smelling dog, there are some who believe that clean=perfumey, so they get a shot of cologne on their way out the door. That way, at least I don't have to smell it all day.

[quote]I have to admit that I keep a bottle of lightly scented cologne on hand. While most of my clients are happy with a CLEAN smelling dog, there are some who believe that clean=perfumey, so they get a shot of cologne on their way out the door. That way, at least I don't have to smell it all day[/quote].
[b]HF wrote[/b]
There is nothing wrong with that :wink: some owners love thier little dogs to smell pretty.
There are all kinds of people out there who make dog grooming interesting, we had one couple who liked their 2 white minature poodles to be red and the other green at Xmas time :roll: I think my boss used a food coloring to do this...it certainly was a strange request. This should also be put on the list of things a groomer should not do unless asked :lol:

HF, a few years ago we used to spritz the bandana with some colonge before putting it on the dog. We got the cologne from a reputable supplier. I can't remember the name of the company but they had a line of colonges with a picture of a dandie dinmont terrier on the bottle. We had powder scent, vanilla, and a few others I can't remember. Any way, one dog left with its scented bandana and ended up with a broken out neck. The dog was allergic to any type of scent based products...of course my boss nor the owner of the dog knew this until this happened. We will still spritz a bandana at the owners request and we only keep in vanilla and baby powder scent (they are the most popular). My boss will not spray any products directly onto the dog except of course an enzyme based product she keeps for dogs which have been skunked.