Dogomania

Dangerous recall.

I had my dogs out for their hike. We went for a walk along the ocean, my dogs like to frolick and play and some times Beau and Athena will get quite a ways away. They respond to their recalls very well, so when they got a little too far away I whistled for them to come back. Beau was in a full gallop and heading straight towards me, I was smiling to myself thinking how great his recall is...he kept coming and coming and slammed right into my legs. :o It was like being hit by a car, the impact sent my glasses flying in front of me about 20 feet, and my camera went flying the other way. I landed on my back and had all the wind knocked out.
I still can't believe the force of the impact :o I also think I tore a couple of ligaments in my leg as I can't seem to put any pressure on it. Beau is unhurt and doesnt seem fazed at all.
My sister was with me on this walk, she did not see the whole accident as she was playing with Dilon/Tori and Cassie (Gil is back at the breeders). She said all she remembers is a pair of glasses flying over her head and Dilon racing to grab them. Dilon has been wanting to get my glasses and run with them for quite some time.
My sister just saw the final part of my fall from grace...she said she wished she had had a video camera as the look of horror on my face was priceless...there goes the whole being "cool" thing. :oops: also, I can't say there was alot of sisterly concern at that moment...she kept asking me if I was alright in between bouts of laughing :evil:
Any way, I am going to rest tonight and possibly go to the out door tomarrow to make sure he didn't knock my knee cap out of place. My sister had a bad fall from her horse and had her knee cap knocked out of place but put off going to the doctor for weeks as she was sure it was just a sprain. :drinking:

Any way, I don't know weather to be proud of Beau, or very concerned about his recall being a little too rambuncious. I am almost having panic attacks thinking about taking him to obedience classes and doing a recall...I'll have to tell the instructor that I have a dangerous recall dog.
By classifing Beau as a dangerous dog, but, not with his teeth, does this mean I should instead of muzzling him perhaps I should put shackels on his legs to keep his dangerous stride down so he won't hurt another person :lol: :wink:

I guess I am still in shock, and I am really amazed at the impact. It was just like getting hit by a car. :o

Guest Anonymous

Oh god, turst me I KNOW how you feel!! :-? Coal was the SAME way, eventually when I was training, it went something like this...

"COME COAL!" *coal comes running at full speed, faster, and faster, and faster*
"EASY!" *shara bounds to one side as the dog goes flying past her* :lol: :lol:

So I taught him to "Platz" (down) when he came, so now he's more of a "slide into home" :lol: :lol: But since he now knows he's expected to lay down when he comes back, he slows down a bit, then slides along. When he stops usually his feet are on both sides of me and he's laying there looking up at me with a big smile :lol: :lol: I have REALLY bad knees, so at least if he "slides into home" too hard one of these days, he'll take out my ankles instead of my knees :lol:
One thing he does, which actually makes me scared to go outside :o :lol: is he'll run around with a HUUUGE stick in his mouth, I swear it was a whole tree ones, and he'll come running at full speed towards me, then turn to go around me to tease me, and the stick goes THWACK right into my knees :-? It hurts a LOT and makes me so mad, so now I have this spot out in the woods where i'd built this litlte storage thing with a small roof on it way back in the day, where the sticks I think are "dangerous" go on top of :lol:

Ugh, I feel for you! That really hurts!

There's nothing quite like getting the wind knocked out of you. I know the first time it happened to me, I literally thought I was dying!

I would just be proud of Beau. Unless it's a regular thing and he's actually aiming to take you out! Then maybe teach him to sit when he comes to you?

Um, if Beau does this frequently, I'd definitely work on teaching him otherwise. A dog that continually body slams a person IMO, is showing a dominance behaviour.
[color=red]HOWEVER[/color], sounds like this was just exuberance on his part, I'd still be wary and try to make sure it never happens again. Of course, now that you know what a freight train feels like, I'm sure you will take steps to get off the tracks! 8)
I sure hope you are not seriously hurt, being sidelined with an injury aint no fun at all.
Many years ago we had a St. Bernard who would knock us over as she barreled by. When Jesse was young, he would blast by me or my mom and nip us on the way. He was so danged fast, by the time we said OUCH, he was across the yard laughing at us.

Abby does the same thing, she's about 42 lbs and has knocked my dad out cold. :o If she gets into one of her "zoomie" moods and starts running around, you better move cause she'll take you down! :lol: We call her a football player. :lol:
Luckily she hasn't done it in a long while, and I can usually get her to slow down. Good luck with Beau!

[quote]Um, if Beau does this frequently, I'd definitely work on teaching him otherwise. A dog that continually body slams a person IMO, is showing a dominance behaviour.[/quote]

Carolk9s, I should have explained a little better :wink: Beau is my newest rescue dog, and he is doing wonderful with obedience.
Normally when I do a recall with him he will run to me and sit in front of me....that would be his "normal" recall :lol: he is not dominant at all.

On the beach when I did my recall he couldn't get stopped in time to sit in front of me, so instead he slammed into my legs :wink: :lol: I guess I was just not in the right frame of mind and didn't realize he couldn't get himself stopped.
For being a high strung Dobie mix he is doing wonderful with obedience. When they are at the beach and going full tilt they do get a little full of them selves with excitement.

[quote]One thing he does, which actually makes me scared to go outside is he'll run around with a HUUUGE stick in his mouth, I swear it was a whole tree ones, and he'll come running at full speed towards me, then turn to go around me to tease me, and the stick goes THWACK right into my knees [/quote]

Hazel, my Rottie Athena does this as well :lol: she will grab the biggest tree stick she can find and then race it over to me and drop it at my feet expecting me to throw it for her :o I can barely pick up half the tree sticks she brings back. A friend of mine learned the hard way to try and avoid Athena when she is running to me with her tree stick...my friend was unfortunate enough not to move out of Athenas path...she got the tree stick in the rear end...I never heard a person yelp like that before! :o :lol:

[quote]I would just be proud of Beau. Unless it's a regular thing and he's actually aiming to take you out! Then maybe teach him to sit when he comes to you?[/quote]
kendalyn, I am very proud of Beau...he has picked up commands and basic obedience quicker than most of the dogs I have done obedience trials with. He is a quick learner...just a little too excitable, I normally do have all my dogs trained to sit in front of me when they do a recall...its really cool when I do a recall with all 6 of my dogs at the same time...they all run to me and sit in front of me. I have pictures of them doing this...if I could post pictures I would post them.
I like the part where you mentioned Beau may be actually aiming to take me out. It gives Hit dog a whole new meaning...makes me wonder if my dogs are into organized obedience crimes... :lol: too funny :lol:
He is doing wonderful in all other aspects and I have no complaints about any of my dogs. It was just so funny to think a dog could have such force when they slam into you. I was very surprised, and shocked.
I feel much better today, I think I was in so much pain yesterday I thought I must have torn some thing. Nothing torn, and I feel great today.
[quote]I think you need padding on your legs [/quote]
Good idea mouse :wink: :lol:

I'm very glad to hear you are feeling better today! Of course the beach is the perfect place for a WIPE OUT, I can see you explaining that one to the dr.!
I rather figured Beau was just having fun and miscalculated a wee bit.
I also know you are well versed in doggie behaviour and sounds like Beau is doing great.

Ooooh...OUCH! I know how that feels....I got bowled over by a over zealous Dalmation at the dogpark once. He was chasing a ball...I just happened to be in the way :-? ......yup, I was pretty "graceful" that day :lol:
its great that Beau has such a great recall though...being a new dog to your pack. Keep working with him.......and wear goalie pads :wink:

Hope you feel better soon :D

[quote name='Mei-Mei']You know, I don't think big dogs realize how big they are and the impact they have on their environment. I can't tell you the number of times Lhiannon Sidhe has knocked me over, or bludgeoned me with her tail or crushed my feet. :lol: Beau probably thought he would knock against you 'lightly.' Poor you! :lol: :lol:[/quote]

I have to agree. I dont think Alex ever realized he was 92 lbs, and he would body slam when he was real excited and you called him. after he knocked me flat on my butt I took to watching to see if he was gonna stop or not, and getting out of the way. If he didnt hit me he would eventually stop and sit. I dont think they realize how powerful they really are. Alex was a head-butt-er too. and it hurt, but he never realized it. Freebee and Laurel seem to want to walk on my feet. no idea why.

Cassie, maybe we need Hockey Goalie uniforms for our walks....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Anonymous

OUCH!!!! i hope that you are feeling better soon!!! i know how bad it hurts when my dogs do it, and they are only 46 pounds and 60 opunds, can't imagine a full grown rottie runnin' full force at me! OUCH! :o

This whole thread made me realize how funny I must look when I'm around my dogs. I've had my legs rammed so many times and been nearly toppled that I keep my knees bent all the time, no matter what I'm doing. I just realized it. Nothing hurts worse, I don't reckon, than having a dog ram into your knees from the front. I suppose that pain is exactly why my knees are always bent. Now I know I'm probably going to be a deformed old lady. :-?

Hope your knees are ok. Next time tuck and roll.... *snicker* :P

Hale does the recall into me sometimes, usually when she's real excited and I call her out of whatever she was excited about.... she comes flying back and jumps up a bit to get the most out of her impact (occasionally throwing a foot to gut at the same time) :o . I usually automatically turn now to catch her on my hip when I see she has "the look", definitely better than being caught off-guard.

[quote]I've had my legs rammed so many times and been nearly toppled that I keep my knees bent all the time, no matter what I'm doing.[/quote]
Does this go along with the odd shuffly motion that people who live with small dogs do? Having tried to walk "like normal" just a couple days ago and trampled Annie and Goo in one fell sweep (stepped backwards onto Annie, then went to move forward, and there she was again, I tripped over her, and onto Goo, who was standing right beside her.... like dominos), I'm back to that one again :lol:

[quote]Ow! I hope you're doing better. My friend had her leg broken when her dog did the same thing[/quote]
[quote]quote by Kias_Mommy[/quote]
:o ouch! my dog, running Canines can be quite dangerous. :o

[quote]I usually automatically turn now to catch her on my hip when I see she has "the look", definitely better than being caught off-guard. [/quote]
gooeydog, thats a good suggestion, when you get hit from the front the impact can really send you flying, or make you buckle...it seems you can take more of an impact from the side of your body. Thats a good suggestion. Beau is a lovely, if not cartoonish looking dog...when he gets running hes more like a greyhound than a Dobie...he just doesn't understand that he should go from a gallop to a canter to a trot to walk when coming back from a recall :lol: my other dogs at least know to slow down slightly before getting too close.
I also started training Beau the swing command on recalls. This is when they walk around the owner and sit on your left side instead of sitting in front. I am not going to be doing any trials with him :lol: so it won't hurt to get him used to doing this on recalls. I started training him yesterday and he has already caught on. He loves to learn new things, perhaps because I am so overly enthusiatic about it and praise him...possibly too much :oops:
[quote]This whole thread made me realize how funny I must look when I'm around my dogs. I've had my legs rammed so many times and been nearly toppled that I keep my knees bent all the time, no matter what I'm doing. I just realized it. Nothing hurts worse, I don't reckon, than having a dog ram into your knees from the front. I suppose that pain is exactly why my knees are always bent. Now I know I'm probably going to be a deformed old lady. [/quote]
HF, oh, that is too funny...we are going to be dog poor and cripples by the time we get in our 60's.
The worst thing about this whole accident with Beau, was, well, of course the pain he inflicted on me :lol: but, the fact that I was standing there like a smiling idiot watching him do his overly enthusiatic recall. Its weird the last thought that went through my mind as I was landing flat on my back was...wow, what a great recall....He's quite a boy. :lol:
Bk,you are right...our big dogs don't seem to realize just how big they are. Its a good thing I have a big lap to handle my big lap dogs.

[quote]Freebee and Laurel seem to want to walk on my feet[/quote]
:lol:
Court, my oldest girl Cassie is like this as well...its almost as if there is an invisable unbilical cord tied from her to me :P when she gets more than 6 ft away from me on a walk she almost seems to get a little panicked and will run back and walk glued to my side. She is my fearful girl and she absorbs security from my leg...I guess. :wink:
[quote]Cassie, maybe we need Hockey Goalie uniforms for our walks.... [/quote]
Court, that is a good idea! do you think the goalie mask is required though??? I don't know if I like or dislike the idea of children mistaking me for that jason from Friday the 13th...course, that could be fun. :lol:

:lol: Cassie, I think you need to go get one of those suits that the "guy" wears in the personal defense course !!! :lol: :lol:
Seriously I hope you're O.K now !!! :wink:

Something kind of similar happened to me when I was out in the yard with Gretchen (my 95lb. Lab/Rott).
I was standing in my front yard, Gretchen likes to run up onto our front deck and then come running down and just sniff around......
I had her on the Flexi-lead and I was just standing there on our front concrete sidewalk day dreaming while she was doing her thing, she ran up the front deck as usual and instead of just running off and sniffing she came running off and went right to the end of the Flexi-lead and I went over side-ways like a Redwood tree in the forest !!!!! :o I never slumped or bent, I went straight over !! I seriously thought I broke my hand and wrist.
Called my Husband crying and he came home to check me out.......I smashed it pretty good, but didn't break anything.
Now I pay more attention, watching her instead of the clouds !!! :lol: :lol: