Dogomania

News article regarding Pitbull

This is terrible for the Pitbull community in Boston. The boy was trowing rocks and stuff at the dog.. I don't understand the Pittie was only a puppy. :cry: :cry:

[url]http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/3472023/detail.html?treets=bos&tid=2652635354813&tml=bos_12pm&tmi=bos_12pm_2825_11000106292004&ts=H[/url]

Guest Anonymous

arg, this enrages me!!
A dog with rocks being thrown at it, is likely to defend itself, pit bull or not.
I also hate how they say at the bottom about all the different Bully Breeds to be all Pit Bulls :roll: Yes, they are all bully breeds and with roughly the same background, but they are all different breeds! You line them up and you will be able to see the difference.

[quote name='mydogroxy'][quote]I also hate how they say at the bottom about all the different Bully Breeds to be all Pit Bulls [/quote]
actually, pit bull is a generic name usually refering to apbts, amstaffs, and staffies. so technically, it's not wrong.[/quote]

[quote]Statistics show to councilors last week showed that Boston residents had been bitten by pit bulls 144 times over the past three years. Pit bulls are dogs known by veterinarians and breeders as American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers and American Pit Bull Terriers. [/quote]

I dont think its right to have most people think that the APBT is the bad dog instead of all of these breeds (not that they ARE bad, just making my point.) When I say pit bull I mean the APBT not all the pther bully breeds. Maybe thats wrong of me but I would think most people do think the same way as I do and if thats true then its not fair to the breed to be taking blame for all those other breeds!

Anyway, thats so stupid a live was taken because of some boy's dumb actions. If you threaten a dog, it will defend itself. It doesnt take a genius to figure that out! :roll: Where were the kids parents when he was throwing rocks at the dog? Where was the dog's owner at the time? :evil: THis whole situation couldve been avoided if the dog was supervised outside and the kids parents were out watching him. This annoys me to death when bad things happen and didnt need to!

Sorry for my ranting it just kills me when I hear this crap! :cry: :evil: :roll:

Maybe i'm heartless, but I do not feel sorry for the boy.
Ok so maybe he was only six and maybe he didnt know any better, but i knew better than to throw rocks at a puppy when I was that young.

What comes around goes around right?
I wish the kids parents would get serious fines and jail time for neglecting their child. :cry:

I wouldnt have had to be bitten. My parents woulda KILLED me for throwing rocks at a dog. any dog. and neither of them liked animals. (least, not in the house). Thye always taught that animals were ANIMALS and needed to be respected as such, and that cruelty IN ANY FORM was not allowed. (my dad never lived up to his own rules, but thats a different tale). My mom would have smacked me upside the head severely for having done that. AND she would have made me go and apologize to the owner of the dog. maybe not if I had been bitten, but she wouldnt have held the dog responsible. She woulda been PO'd at me for having "started" the incident. In a back-asswards way, they believed that pets were property, and children had no right to destroy or injure other peoples property. It wasnt til we got a dog that they began to see things my way about them, but still, they were firm believers in children being required to
RESPECT OTHER PEOPLES PROPERTY. In their minds, that included pets.

I wouldn't believe what the owners said. Was he even there how does he know what the child did? I don't blame children or dogs for this sort of behavior. If a child is not taught they are no more responsible then the dog. Anyway since no one was there then there is no way to know what happended for all we know the child thought he was protecting himself by throwing the rocks at the dog. I don't agree with blaming and not feeling sorry for a 6 year old boy. It's the adults in this situation who are responsible.

[quote name='HazelNutMeg']arg, this enrages me!!
A dog with rocks being thrown at it, is likely to defend itself, pit bull or not.[/quote]

A pit bull with a PROPER temperament would NOT attack a child for having rocks thrown at it, PERIOD. This is another example of making excuses for a dog with a dangerous temperament.

[quote]I also hate how they say at the bottom about all the different Bully Breeds to be all Pit Bulls :roll: Yes, they are all bully breeds and with roughly the same background, but they are all different breeds! You line them up and you will be able to see the difference.[/quote]

That's really open for debate, especially when it comes to the difference between the APBT & AST.

[quote name='odnarb'][quote name='HazelNutMeg']arg, this enrages me!!
A dog with rocks being thrown at it, is likely to defend itself, pit bull or not.[/quote]
A pit bull with a PROPER temperament would NOT attack a child for having rocks thrown at it, PERIOD. This is another example of making excuses for a dog with a dangerous temperament.
[/quote]

I guess I understand what youre saying and it makes sense. A dog raised right wouldnt react violently in any situation and thats the way it should be.

...but I have one thing to say in defense of that. Say the owner had rescued the dog at an older age and had no control over what happened to it earlier in life. Can you really blame it on the dog then even though it may have been abused and had to defend itself in order for it to not be severly hurt or even killed? I know I couldnt blame a dog for some sick person and their abusive behaviour towards a poor dog.

Sorry thats just my side to it, if you havent raised a dog from a puppy then you dont have control over its past and what effect it has on the dog.

[quote name='__crazy_canine__']

I guess I understand what youre saying and it makes sense. A dog raised right wouldnt react violently in any situation and thats the way it should be.[/quote]

Not raised right, a dog with a genetically PROPER temperament. Raising such a dog in a terrible way would never make such a dog attack a child for throwing rocks.

[quote]...but I have one thing to say in defense of that. Say the owner had rescued the dog at an older age and had no control over what happened to it earlier in life. Can you really blame it on the dog then even though it may have been abused and had to defend itself in order for it to not be severly hurt or even killed? I know I couldnt blame a dog for some sick person and their abusive behaviour towards a poor dog.

Sorry thats just my side to it, if you havent raised a dog from a puppy then you dont have control over its past and what effect it has on the dog.[/quote]

If a pit bull has a genetically PROPER temperament, it doesn't matter. You can hack off its ears without anesthesia, toss it into a fighting pit, toss it on the grill, whack off a leg with an axe, beat it bloody with a bat, then have a little kid toss rocks at it, and it still won't bite!!!! That is what pit bull temperament is all about.

The breed is in danger of government enduced extinction because people keep making pathetic excuses for dogs with terrible temperaments. Dogs like the one in the news story are getting the breed banned left and right. These dogs need to stop being bred, stop being sold, stop being rescued. And if you already have one, but can't keep it away from everyone but yourself 24/7, the dog needs to be euthanized, period. There is no room for error anymore, the fate of the breed is at stake.

I am curious, why are so many people willing to excuse marginal and dangerous dogs??????

:WTF: :wallbash:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='odnarb'][quote name='HazelNutMeg']arg, this enrages me!!
[/quote]

I agree 100%. When some child gets his face chewed off by a dog with a bad temperament, they will not care WHY the dog is like that- whether it is genetics, abuse, neglect, whatever. I have seen MANY horribly abused pit bulls, ones that have NEVER seen ANY human other than the ones that hurt them- and yet when they are taken from that situation, they still LOVE people. If they don't, they are NOT STABLE EXAMPLES OF THE BREED. It is one thing for the dog to be a little hand shy if it was beaten- it is another totally for the dog to be fearful/snappy/aggressive with strangers because of this.

I don't care HOW many rocks that kid threw at the dog- the kid should have had his @ss beat for it, definitely....but the PUPPY should NOT have attacked the kid, period. If it had a correct temperament, it would have either laid there and let the kid throw rocks, or even ran away. I can see SNAPPING in this situation IF the pup was chased under a porch and then the kid tried to drag it out after pelting it with rocks....but not ATTACKING the kid. ATTACKING is not DEFENSIVE.

This breed is in HUGE trouble- and just as much of it is because of "pittie" owners making excuses for their dogs with bad temperaments as it is from people intentionally making them mean.

In some ways, the "pittie party" is even MORE dangerous- because you guys are the ones out telling everyone 'it's all how you raise them', and that these are great dogs (which they are), and then when one of YOUR dogs bites someone..... it just adds fuel to the fire...... "family" pet TURNS On child....... :evil:

So are you saying that dogs, who have nothing to do with how they were made, should be PTS because of their temperment and not be given a chance at life? They should be killed for being born into the world? Its not their fault and I think they should be given a chance.

Honestly I have no proof to back up my arguement against you, Odnarb, but I dont agree with anything you have said. Im not saying it meanly at all I just dont agree. Period.

You CANT blame the dog for the way it was bred or raised! They deserve a chance, even if you dont think so.

[quote name='__crazy_canine__']

You CANT blame the dog for the way it was bred or raised! They deserve a chance, even if you dont think so.[/quote]

Deserve a chance to WHAT? Be the headline in a mauling incident????

This mindset is why the breed will be extinct due to BSL in 15 years or less :cry:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='__crazy_canine__']So are you saying that dogs, who have nothing to do with how they were made, should be PTS because of their temperment and not be given a chance at life? They should be killed for being born into the world? Its not their fault and I think they should be given a chance.[/quote]

UN F-ing BELIEVABLE. :o :o :o :o :o

Who is BLAMING the dog? It doesn't matter WHY the dog is dangerous, but if it is, it needs to be REMOVED FROM SOCIETY.

Using your theory, then it's not Ted Bundy's or (insert serial killer/child molester/rapist's name here) fault that they are "the way they are", and they should be "given a chance" to live with the rest of us?

I don't see pit bulls being legal for more than 10 years, if that, with this kind of thinking. WE ARE DOOMED. :agrue:

[quote name='HartagoldAST'][quote name='__crazy_canine__']So are you saying that dogs, who have nothing to do with how they were made, should be PTS because of their temperment and not be given a chance at life? They should be killed for being born into the world? Its not their fault and I think they should be given a chance.[/quote]

UN F-ing BELIEVABLE. :o :o :o :o :o

Who is BLAMING the dog? It doesn't matter WHY the dog is dangerous, but if it is, it needs to be REMOVED FROM SOCIETY.

Using your theory, then it's not Ted Bundy's or (insert serial killer/child molester/rapist's name here) fault that they are "the way they are", and they should be "given a chance" to live with the rest of us?

I don't see pit bulls being legal for more than 10 years, if that, with this kind of thinking. WE ARE DOOMED. :agrue:[/quote]

HartagoldAST, your post was completely uncalled for! I didnt agree with breeding these dogs I just said I dont think they should have to be PTS if they are in the right hands! Im not even going to argue with you because youre being rude and I wont tolerate it!!!!

Odnarb, I dont want the breed to be banned or to become extinct but I dont think that dogs should have to suffer for stupid peoples actions. There are plenty of dogs who are good when given the chance to live and given a home with a family who is loving. We stand at different sides and thats fine but I dont have to agree with you about this. Honestly I dont believe genetics should determine whether a dog should die.

I dont want to argue with you or that idiot anymore so bye everyone! I want to express my opinion but whats sad is I cant when there are people on here who act like such assholes, hartagoldAST!!!!

Nic and Lora are right guys. A Pit Bull that shows serious aggression towards a human for ANY reason has an unstable temperament.

I have had a few calls over the years from people asking me to take a Pit Bull that has bitten someone.

When I explain to them that this dog is unstable and should not be given away or adopted out, they screech "But he was abused!!" I am cursed at. Told I'm a unfeeling monster. That I don't love the breed, ectera ectera ectera.

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHY THE DOG BIT SOMEONE. WHAT MATTERS IS HE DID.

Other breeds may have the luxury of being excused for bad temperaments or past abuse. THIS breed does not.

It is not correct temperament for the breed and it makes them dangerous. It is a HUGE liability as well as unethical to adopt out or give away a human aggressive Pit Bull.

Like Nic said. You can do anything to these dogs and they should still not show human aggression. Pit Bulls have a very forgiving soul. I have seen it time and time again. They should always be willing to give humans a second chance-no matter how rotten the last human they knew was to them.

The capacity this breed has to forgive and forget never ceases to amaze me. And that's the way they should be-no matter what has happened to them.

[quote name='courtnek']

THIS is my whole issue with this. they should NOT. ANY ANY ANY ANY
DOG CAN BITE...uner the right circumstances...[/quote]

That is true, but for a pit bull with a PROPER temperament, those circumstances are inconceivable.

Wow...this got heated quickly...might as well throw my 2 cents in..

I think ANY dog irregardless of breed, that shows any sign of uncontrolled human aggression should be put to sleep. Its sad, and its not neccessarily the dogs "fault" so to speak, but its a liability waiting to happen, and I would rather (as heartbreaking as it would be) have my dog humanely euthanized rather than wait for it to maul someone and end up shot by police.

There's a difference between unprovoked human aggression and "protecting its owner/property"

Any legitimate rescue will euthanize a dog that shows an unstable temperament....regardless of breed.

Ok maybe now that Ive calmed down I can write a clear post on my stance on this...

I think any dog is capable of biting when provoked and depending on the breed, people react differently. Big-mouthed dogs, massive-sized dogs, dogs with bad reputations, etc. are all considered dangerous and the story is heard all over the news.

Defense in a dog is fine ...to an extent. There is a difference in attacking and biting. A dog that bites, meaning backs off after it makes its point, is just defending itself. A dog that attacks and wont back off should be PTS. Signs in a dog that seem to show aggression should be taken seriously, I never said before that it shouldnt. I dont think it should be PTS before its had a chance to prove if its trustworthy or not though as thats what Im assumng you meant, Odnarb.

Ending a life is a big deal even if its in an animal. I dont think the decision should be made until its certain the dog is too dangerous for society. Of course the dog should be worked with before any decisions are made also. Euthanasia should be the last option, I stand strong for that because I believe life is precious and any soul can change for the better.

I really would like proof from an official document saying that genetics in a pit bull define whether or not it will bite someone. Im not saying its not true I just want to be sure of if its fact or fiction. Right now I dont believe it.

As for the situation with the article, this was probably a BYB pit and not a true one. Well-bred pits are rare to find which is sad. Maybe the dog wasnt even a pit but some other dog just being labeled. Whether or not the child was throwing rocks or not is uncertain but why would the pit bull rush under the fence to attack a little boy unless it was in fact being provoked? Prey drive I suppose might have made it want to attack it but I dont know what a pits prey drive is like. *shrugs* An owner should have been watching the dog, and since the fence was broken, the dog shouldve been on some kind of chain or something. The boy shouldve been with an adult.

The parents of the child should be fined, so should the owner of the dog (which I assume the owner did get fined) and of course the dog should be PTS. Again, I think that its always the last option but if someones life is in danger it needs to be done. I shouldve explained more on my side but I guess I let myself get so angry I couldnt argue my side well. :oops: It happens to me often.

...and like Smooshie said theres a big difference in defending property and aggression. I think thats important to remember. This dog was defending himself against a boy "attacking" him. Its all in opinion in whether or not the dog was displaying aggression I guess. Theres only one right answer though, but to be honest Im not sure anymore, I thought I knew but now Im just confusing myself. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I just wanted to point out (I don't think anyone else has) that the article states that the dog was unlicensed. This is an example of why the new BSL in Boston won't work. The owners of this pit bull were not following laws already set in place, what makes the Boston City councilors think that owners like this will obey new ones.

[quote]Further, I do not believe that the child was throwing rocks at the dog, this does not make logical sense. For one, where was the owner of the dog while it was being pelted with rocks? And why was there a hole in the fence? [/quote]

Again, irresponsible ownership. This person won't spend a measily 10 bucks to license their pit bull. Do you really think they would be paying enough attention to it to keep it from being abused by a neighborhood child? And if they were paying enough attention to notice, do you think he/she would really care enough to stop it?

[quote]A pit bull with a PROPER temperament would NOT attack a child for having rocks thrown at it, PERIOD. This is another example of making excuses for a dog with a dangerous temperament[/quote]

This is true BUT does ANY ONE know if this dog is 100% APBT? Nope. Throw another breed into the mix & who knows WHAT can happen, just because there is APBT in the dog does NOT guarantee an APBT temperment. Of COURSE the APBT will STILL be blamed for the incident, whether or NOT it was mixed.

[quote]I think ANY dog irregardless of breed, that shows any sign of uncontrolled human aggression should be put to sleep. Its sad, and its not neccessarily the dogs "fault" so to speak, but its a liability waiting to happen, and I would rather (as heartbreaking as it would be) have my dog humanely euthanized rather than wait for it to maul someone and end up shot by police[/quote]

I SO agree with you on this statement. I am SICK of people making excuses for biting dogs! None of them should be allowed to exist, whether it be a cute little Chi or a Mastiff.

Debby

AND one more thing, Hartagold & Odnarb, this is [b]NOT[/b] a [b]pit bull [/b]board. People here own many different breeds and may not be as familiar with our breeds (or the players) as we are. Yelling & cursing at them is not going to educate them, not every one here knows proper pit bull temperment because they do not own the breed. I don't know everything about every breed of dog & I don't expect them to know it either. Just like when Carla posted on the board like everyone should know who she is, that should have been a clue.

Debby