Dogomania

News article regarding Pitbull

Guest Anonymous

I too agree with Hartagold and Nic.

I have learned a lot about Pit Bulls from the two of them. Including what to accept and not to accept from them as a breed. I will say that it has also changed my perspective on what is acceptable and what is not in other breeds.

I will not accept aggression from any dog in my home.

Yes-any dog can bite including Pit Bulls.

But a stable Pit Bull should not bite a human.

I also want to elaborate on a point another poster made. Many of these dogs are mixes. A Pit Bull mixed with a Rottie or a Neo can inherit the "protection" side of that particular breed. Which does explain why the dog does not have the correct Pit Bull temperament.

But to the public and the media that does not matter. It's always a "Pit Bull" or "Pit Bull mix"

How many times have you seen a Lab/Pit Bull cross described as a "Lab mix"? They are always "Pit Bull mixes"

I saw someone mention defending one's yard as possibly a circumstance.

But..Pit Bulls are not guard dogs-they should not have a guard dogs temperament. They should not display territoriality towards humans. Barking is not neccessarily a fault. But that should be it. The minute a person enters the yard or house, they should be open and friendly to that person.

A Pit Bull with the correct temperament should greet everyone, even strangers in an open friendly manner. Why do you think they are so often stolen? It's because they will allow a complete stranger to enter their yard or home and pick them right up and carry them off.

That is the first thing I look for when I go to evaluate or pick up a Pit Bull. I want the dog to immediately greet me (even though he has never seen me before) with a butt wiggle and a smile. I want him to tell me with his body language "Hey I don't know you, but I love you anyway!!"

I want to be able to immediately walk in his yard or house and have him climb on my lap.

I do get calls from people all the time that want a Pit Bull for protection. That is absolutely not what this breed was created for and they should not be used for that purpose.

But for the sake of argument, let's even remove the point that a Pit Bull who bites is unstable.

Let's look at it from this point of view...

How many other breeds do you know of that can get banned entirely from a city for just one bite incident? Not many-but it can happen with Pit Bulls.

It is not only that Pit Bulls SHOULDN'T bite. It's also that Pit Bulls cannot AFFORD to bite. A Pit Bull that bites someone can cause every Pit Bull owner in that city to lose their right to own the breed.

We cannot take that chance. The whole breed is more important than any individual dog.

Harsh? Yes. Sad? It's heartbreaking. Unfair? Absolutely. But we don't have the luxury of making excuses for biting Pit Bulls. They are a danger to not only the public, but to the continuation of the breed itself.

[quote]That is the first thing I look for when I go to evaluate or pick up a Pit Bull. I want the dog to immediately greet me (even though he has never seen me before) with a butt wiggle and a smile. I want him to tell me with his body language "Hey I don't know you, but I love you anyway!!" [/quote]

That is a perfect description of my Chloe, except she says "I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU SOOOOO MUCH!" to any person nearing my house. World's worst watchdog. :roll: Anyone could steal her, and in fact she would trample me to get to any person at my door.

I consider her temperament to be ideal for her breed.

Guest Anonymous

Hi all,

I'm a PBF member who lurks here often. I thought I would tell you a little about my apbt pup. She is 8 mo old and I rescued her two months ago.

When I first got her, I took her to the vet for a check up. Turned out she had yeast infection in her ears.

She quickly learned to HATE when I put the meds in her ear and would literally run and hide whenever I moved in the late evening because she knew it was coming. I had to use the meds for 1 week.

I was always looking for clues about her temperament as that was/is my primary concern. I have three kids so this is extremely important.

It got to the point with her meds that I would have to reach in and drag her out of her hiding spot, wrap her totally with my arms and legs to keep her from squirming or getting away, and have my wife squirt the meds in her ears.

I cannot emphasize HOW MUCH SHE HATED IT.

NOT ONE GROWL, SNAP, BITE ATTEMPT, etc. And this went on for about 5 days. All she would do is hide, and try to get away when I grabbed her.

Now do I know she has a solid temperament? No, but her taking this abuse from me, a new person, in a brand new situation, with no idea if it would go on forever or what told me alot about this dog.

It would have been very easy for the original breeders of this dog to excuse getting bitten in the fighting ring due to the extreme circs that the dog is under. They did not do so. WE should not do so either.

Thanks!
(prepares to be slammed for dog abuse)

I really don't care what the breed is. I would have no qualms about putting to sleep a dog who attacked a child when that dog had the ability to run away. If that dog had an out and attacked the child instead of taking it, that would be enough for me to decide on its temperment.

Bleeding hearts making excuses for biting dogs are very very dangerous in my opinion. Probably more dangerous than the dogs they are fighting for.

[quote name='pLaurent'][quote]prepares to be slammed for dog abuse[/quote]

You should see the abuse (well, "abuse" according to my dog) that goes on in my house at BATH time! :o[/quote]

well, slam me too then...Laurel HATES her ear medication, and bays (and SOOO loud) whenever she sees it. she also hates her melatonin pills, but takes them. Now as far as Pits. I have to agree that a well bred Pit should never bite a person for any reason. Nor should they want to. barking, warning, that's one thing. all dogs do it. but well bred puts should be peeing their pants to get to people. to love on them. I believe that dog was not a well bred Pit, and may in fact be a mix. You CANT mix these dogs with guarding breed dogs, IMO. IT SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.

now for the other side of the coin. Most of you know this already, but for the new people.....

I have a Lab mix. Part Lab, part, GSP, and maybe, part Shepherd (her tail is all wrong for either of the other two. so is the shape of her head).
she is NOT people friendly, she is NOT children friendly, she does NOT like strangers. she doesnt like alot of other dogs either. Basically, she's a bitch. No pun intended. I know that. this is a dog, although she looks like a purebred Lab, that could attack someone. and hurt them. However, if she did, some idiot reporter would say it's "a lab gone bad", or "atypical of the breed"...something stupid like that. Yet, she would probably not be put down, unless she killed or seriously injured someone. now, if she escaped
from the yard I doubt she would injure anyone. But on leash, she wont let people approach me, or dogs, or kids. she is overprotective to the whole nine yards. she would get away with it. A pit or Pit mix would NOT.

I am begining to believe there should be a DNA test run on these dogs to try to determine what exactly they are. if that's even possible.

[quote]I am begining to believe there should be a DNA test run on these dogs to try to determine what exactly they are. if that's even possible.[/quote]

Why? Who cares what breed the dog is? I only care that it bit somebody. Trying to determine exactly what breed or breeds a certain dog belongs to is a great way to get them banned I think. It would be interesting to know though.

[quote name='cheekymunkee']AND one more thing, Hartagold & Odnarb, this is [b]NOT[/b] a [b]pit bull [/b]board. People here own many different breeds and may not be as familiar with our breeds (or the players) as we are. Yelling & cursing at them is not going to educate them, not every one here knows proper pit bull temperment because they do not own the breed. I don't know everything about every breed of dog & I don't expect them to know it either. Just like when Carla posted on the board like everyone should know who she is, that should have been a clue.

Debby[/quote]

The poster we were going back & forth with has a picture of two pit bulls in their sig, so I guess I wrongly assumed they were a pit bull owner.

The person I originally quoted posts here and on another board I frequent, and plans to get an AmStaff.

I figured the two above should be educated in proper pit bull temperament, but I guess I just have to stop assuming that people research the breed they own or plan to own.