Dogomania

stupid comments

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

in the confused breed thread, newfiesmom posted: " And of course, I always get, "Hey lady, I didn't know they allowed bears on leashes.""

*I* always get "hey, who's walking who" and (from the local kids) "are they spaded"
:evil:

what stupid comments are other folks so incredibly tired of hearing???

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote]*I* always get "hey, who's walking who"[/quote]
I used to get this when I walked a huge lab x mastiff, but surprisingly enough, never with the bullies.

My favorite with Haley (3 legged APBT) is when I walk her up to the school, and someone will stop to pet her and ask, "can she walk?"... now, I can see a little kid not knowing, but you would think most adults would realize that I am not going to be toting around a dog that weighs half what I do for the half mile walk, and even if they didn't, most of the people who say this stand there and watch her as we walk up to/past them before making the comment :roll: . Of course, Hale plays it up by stopping whenever someone starts to look at her or comments on her, looking at me, and [i]slllloooowwwly[/i] laying down onto the ground, like "pity me.... I have no leg... and I am [i]SOOOOoooo[/i] tired... poor, poor me", at which point most people feel obliged to make over the poor, underpriveledged doggy. Then when I go to get her under way again, she plays the bag-o-cement game, and I get dirty looks for hauling her up and making her walk away (if they only saw her celebrating by trying to tug the leash as soon as she can't see them anymore... poor exhausted doggy my butt :roll: ). I have recently been toying with the idea though of getting a kiddie wagon to pull her in when she does get tired, as there are some nice places around here that us people and the other dogs can walk to, but that are too far for Hale, and I do feel bad at times for her missing out.

I walk Goo at night usually (less dogs running loose), so we don't usually run into anyone who comments on her, though if we do, they nearly always call her a "he".... even the dummies who ask about breeding/puppies call her a "he". You'd think that if they know that much, they'd note the complete lack of boy parts :oops:

With Annie (dachshund) it's always, "he's so skinny, I think you need to feed him a bit more", or "I don't think little dogs are supposed to get that much exercise". A. Annie is a she, though that one can be let slide, as she is a bit low slung to be checking :lol: , and B. Just because most dachsies around here are on the pudgy side, doesn't mean that I'm doing something wrong for keeping my dog active and at a healthy weight.

Casey and Joey (cocker and chi) are apparently more "normal" when walked in public, they've never really gotten any strange comments, though if we don't have Casey shaved down soon (the groomer who does her has been sick), people will be wondering which end to pet before long :o

When is the next batch of puppies due?

Do you want to sell them?

Will you take my number & call me when you decide to get rid of them?

Do you fight them?

Is he a "Gator Mouth"?

She can't be pure bred, she's too small ( 60 pounds give or take)

How old is s\he? You know s\he is gonna turn on you when s\he's 2, 3, 4 (depending on the age I tell them) right?

And on and on and on.................

Debby

Guest Anonymous

Oh with Prissy (APBT) I get the typical crap:

Are you selling her?
When you gonna have pups?
She spayed?
and my favorite from well meaning but misguided folks...What she was a bait dog? That's why she's got scars or do you fight her? UH NO! Then I have to explain that she was found in the city and that unless I saw it with my own eyes (which I didn't) I couldn't tell you how she got the scars.

With Gretchen the ACD (Mix????)
What the hell is that a Dingo?
What drugs is she on?
How stupid is she? She looks really stupid! (Which leads me to show off her tricks)

With Ariel (Chow/GSD mix):
Oh a mini black Shepherd.
Is she spayed?
Where can I get a mini black shepherd?

Belle the Beagle:
You hunt? (That one drives me nuts! Just because I have a hound does NOT mean I hunt or even like hunting)

Beaux the ASD Mix foster dog who weighs about as much as I do:

What the hell is THAT!

Man he's going to eat that baby (Who is usually holding on to his back pack as we walk).

Does he fight?

HOw much he bes?

How much to breed him to my girl (Insert breed it really doesn't matter).

My favorite of all time was a group of kids in their mid teens walking with their various bull type dogs (some were very funny looking like their heads had been put into a vice and squished down anyway...) they got the biggest kick out of letting their dogs get into Beaux's face all the while asking if he was mean. I was like if he were your dog would be dead.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='cheekymunkee']
I get that too!! They don't seem to notice Munkee's missing "hang down" :roll:

Debby[/quote]

What gets me is that Beaux is tall enough (30 inches at the shoulder) that people should be able to tell that his are all shrivled up and useless. It's not like he's short or anything to where they have to strain or make a point to look!

Casey(APBT)

You got puppies?

Is HE spaded? (that one REALLY confuses me...)

How much you want for him? You selling him? (they ask how much BEFORE they ask if I'm selling him :roll: )

Do he fight? (Umm, NO)

(response to above) Then why does he have scars?(I don't know, ask him, he's a rescue)

Why he so small? (50 lbs.)

Is that a puppy, it's to small to be a adult! (No, he's 1 y/o)

Ooh! Is that a mini pit?!?! ( :hmmmm: )

*Note: All grammar mistakes are how the questions are asked, not how I worded them.

[quote name='cheekymunkee'][quote]How much to breed him to my girl (Insert breed it really doesn't matter)[/quote]

I get that too!! They don't seem to notice Munkee's missing "hang down" :roll:

Debby[/quote]

yup...I get that one too :roll: .....I had some woman accost me in the PetSmart parking lot once. She pulled into the parking space next to me,practically LEAPED out of her car yelling "please tell me that dog isn't fixed" When I informed her that yes, he [i]was[/i] altered as a matter of fact....hence the missing ...err...parts. She got ALL unhappy and said she was really hoping she could breed her girl Boxer to him when she came into her next heat :o ....I looked at the Boxer in the back seat of her car...turns out she's only 6 months old!...Its funny how quickly people drive away when youstart lecturing them about responsible pet ownership :wink:

I also get :
"wanna fight your PIT?" (keep in mind...I have BOXERS)

"he must have been chasin' parked cars"

and my personal favorite :
"you really should feed that BULLDOG more...he's way too skinny" :roll:

:lol:

Most people who meet my Standard Poodles think they are the coolest dogs, especially when they realize they are REAL dogs and not just some weird ornaments. Even the biggest, burliest machomen wannabes are drawn to these dogs when they see them. What gets me is how many times I've heard this:

"Yeah, them's cool dawgs, but I couldn't have one because it'd make me look GAY."

Idiots. :-?

I guess another stoopit thing that kind of gets on my nerves is this:

"Wut kind of dawgs iz them?" :o

"Standard Poodles." :D

"No, seriously, wut are they?" :-?

"Seriously, they're Standard Poodles." :roll:

"Then you done bin scammed... Poodles don't get that big." :o

I've had entirely tooooooo many dog "experts" tell me that Poodles just don't get that big.

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If one more person says "why is he wearing a muzzle?"
I swear!!!!!!!!!!!

My dog sometimes wears a head collar also known as a halti or harness.
Looks nothing like a muzzle, in fact it looks exactly like what horses wear. UMMMMM.........that would be a harness.
Then i have to explain its not a muzzle its a head collar like what horses wear so he cant pull me....blah blah blah....its like i said it so much that its recorded in my mind :roll:

Hey horsefeathers, i have a toy poodle and my man hates being seen with him. Poor little guy.
Oh, he is not the one who wears the head collar (muzzle) :roll: :lol:

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']
I've had entirely tooooooo many dog "experts" tell me that Poodles just don't get that big.[/quote]

:lol: ahhhh...but ya know, HF....said "experts" got that nifty little snippet of utter [i]brilliance[/i] from the same handbook as they got:

"ALL PitBulls will eat your children"

"Boxers don't come in [i]brindle[/i]"

and

"it is not "macho" for a man to have his dog neutered" :lol:

[quote name='Beautiful Border Collie']

Hey horsefeathers, i have a toy poodle and my man hates being seen with him. Poor little guy.
[/quote]

I guess I am pretty lucky. My husband will go anywhere with the Standard Poodles and even the little Toy who is usually in his arms. The little one is a daddy's little girl and he's proud of it! He's a typical NASCAR watching, NFL fan, pickup truck drivin' feller, and he'd cheerfully kick the arse of anyone who'd give him grief about his little Poodlette. Then again, this is the same man who is absolutely gaga in love with his Bunny and understood my heartache and tears when one of my fish died last week :oops: . He got up in the middle of the night to be with me when I discovered my fish and ceremoniously flushed him away to the great beyond :cry: . Geez, I love that man! :angel:

Smooshie... handbook, aye? So THAT'S where all that collective wisdom is coming from. I feel better believing that than just believing some people are so hopelessly clueless. I mean, I don't have a problem with people just not knowing better. Heck, we all gotta learn. It just really bugs me when people don't know better AND spread their "wisdom" as gospel.

I don't really get stupid questions just curious questions like what kind of dog is that? And is that a scottie? or Is that a snauzer? Where can I get one of those? Do you have any puppies?

I do get sick of hearing look it's Toto are you Dorothy? That one I could do without. :-?

[quote name='Beautiful Border Collie']UGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I swear!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks nothing like a muzzle, in fact it looks exactly like what horses wear. UMMMMM.........that would be a harness.
Then i have to explain its not a muzzle its a head collar like what horses wear so he cant pull me....blah blah blah....its like i said it so much that its recorded in my mind :roll:

Oh, he is not the one who wears the head collar (muzzle) :roll: :lol:[/quote]

If any of my future dogs needs to use a Halti or a Gentle Leader, I am most certainly going to have a tshirt made up that says something along the lines of "NO, MY DOG is NOT wearing a Muzzle, or No, ITS NOT a MUZZLE".

When I hear about somebody having their dog spaded, I ask them why they had her hit with a small shovel.

My favorite is when they ask me if they can "reserve" an unaltered Pit Bull. Yes-I actually have people call me knowing I do rescue asking if they can get a Pit Bull that hasn't been neutered or spayed yet. :roll:

I had a Grandmother call once. Her grandson had just moved up here from Georgia to live with her and had had to leave his breeding pair there. She wanted to get him another breeding pair for his birthday.

Those kinds of calls make me want to... :drinking: :evil:

[quote name='Horsefeathers!'][quote name='Beautiful Border Collie']

[/quote]

I guess I am pretty lucky. My husband will go anywhere with the Standard Poodles and even the little Toy who is usually in his arms. The little one is a daddy's little girl and he's proud of it! He's a typical NASCAR watching, NFL fan, pickup truck drivin' feller, and he'd cheerfully kick the arse of anyone who'd give him grief about his little Poodlette. Then again, this is the same man who is absolutely gaga in love with his Bunny and understood my heartache and tears when one of my fish died last week :oops: . He got up in the middle of the night to be with me when I discovered my fish and ceremoniously flushed him away to the great beyond :cry: . Geez, I love that man! :angel:

Smooshie... handbook, aye? So THAT'S where all that collective wisdom is coming from. I feel better believing that than just believing some people are so hopelessly clueless. I mean, I don't have a problem with people just not knowing better. Heck, we all gotta learn. It just really bugs me when people don't know better AND spread their "wisdom" as gospel.[/quote]

Your husband sounds like a great guy! The guy I date is not a dog person, he has BUNNIES!!! :wink:

I too was surpised at how big Standard Poodles are! I saw one in Petsmart ( the first one I had personally seen) and was shocked! That dog was TALL!!! Not a winpy little dog by any means!

Debby

My Brittany has light colored, yellow/gray eyes. At the dog park once, I was asked if she was blind, just about the time she tore out after Candy for a game of chase me!
The question that literally left me speechless, 'Are Jesse and Brittany brother and sister'?
I guess the following was not REALLY stupid, I was at the park, lots of dogs racing around having fun, I put Jesse on leash as we approached. One lady, backed away a bit and asked if he was vicious and was that why he was on leash. This is while he is standing there waving his tail and sniffing noses with another dog. I explained it was for HIS protection as he is old and tends to get knocked over amongst dogs in high spirits.

i don't get too many stupid questions/comments but here goes:

"that can't be a pit bull, it's too small"
then i'll try to explain some of the breed standard and explain how the 90lb monsters aren't really pit bulls.

"why does your pit bull have her ears and tail? don't you know you're suppposed to cut them off?"
i spent 20 minutes unsucessfullly trying to convince this person otherwise.

"yo, where you get that dog? my girl just got one and we want to breed"
ugghhhhhh.

the best ever though was:

"wow! is that one of those blue pits?"
while staring at roxy who's a fawn and white rednose. i didn't even know what to say.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Beautiful Border Collie']UGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I swear!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, he is not the one who wears the head collar (muzzle) :roll: :lol:[/quote]

UGGH!! I hate that too!! Zoey and Cody HAVE to ware a GL beucase they dont know how to walk with out one, so we get people who say oh, dont touch that dog it has a muzzle on it will bite.. and i say, no it's not a muzzle it's a gental leader, and it's so they walk nice and i have better control of hte dog, also my dog is deaf so it helps me to get his attention. and they usally walk away :roll:

ooohhh!! ooohhhh! I got a really stoopit one today!!!

I took Freebee and Laurel down to the park by the river. Theres a bike trail and forest land and the river and all. It's a really pretty place. BUT its not a dog park, the animals have to be on leash because of incidents with dogs chasing joggers and bicyclists. but that's ok, I dont mind. I had them on their long long leashes, with their harnesses, and they were merrily trotting along checking thngs out. ok first a little history. Laurel has multiple scars on her head, neck and legs, from 6 years of hunting in heavy brush, and living in a pack. Not bad scars, little teeth and brush dings, tree branch pokes, that kind of thing.

so, walking along, some guy walks up and says "what kinda dog is the multicolored one?" "Foxhound" "was it fought, or used as bait?" "neither, the scars are from hunting." "what'd it hunt" (Now, did I NOT just say FOXhound?) "fox" "Oh well, theres fox here at the river. Let it go I want to see it catch one" :o :o :o :o :o

"no, sir, the hounds dont 'catch' the fox. they trap it and lead the hunter to it. The hunter then shoots it from horseback" "why from horseback?"
"because the hounds run faster than a human could follow on foot" "well, let it go. I want to see it run like that". "Dude, I am not letting her go.
she has to be on a leash, and I dont have a horse and dont want to spend the day trying to find her" "Oh, well then I dont believe any of it" (exit, stage left....)

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: