Dogomania

playing and doggy toys!

imported_Kat

Hi folks,

I'm doing my final year honours project on Border Collie behaviour. One section of the test is Playfulness, and each little section and test requires the finest of details to be organised and thought of concisely.

Question: does your dog prefer a familiar toy (favourite toy) or does your dog respond more enthusiastically to a new toy never played with before?

Thanks in advance,

Kat

most of mine like routine...gypsy LOVED her squeaky hippo. Loved isn't even the word--more like "treasured." she always knew where it was, no one else could play with it, and when she was done playing fetch, chew, or just squeaking it, she would put it away (hiding it) anyway, fang got ahold of it, chewed off it's leg, and now gypsy will not play with any other squeaker. guess she's loyal. calliope loves all kinds of new chewies, but when a thunderstorm comes, she goes and finds her ice cream sandwich squeak toy. it's a source of comfort for her, she really loves it. for awhile, she had a blanket for outside, and she would drag it around with her, everywhere she went to lay down. india doesn't care what it is, she'll take it. buddy doesn't care for toys unless they are destructable...and once thier poly fiber fill insides are carpeting the floor, he doesn't like them very much anymore, so i guess he likes lots of new ones. sandy doesn't like toys at all...Fang, a siberian husky (and therefore, an active, always looking for work, breed) looooooooooves squeak toys of any kind...but de-squeaking is the best. first, he squeaks them. and squeaks them some more. then he finds the squeaker...and de-squeaks them.

Licky is tennis ball obsessed!!! She will walk around the house with it in her mouth looking pitiful until you play with her. She also loves playing with squeeky toys.....she will grab one in her mouth and shake her head really hard to throw it. Honey is into the squeeky toys more then anything.......if we sit on the floor to play with her, she will shove the toy in your face to make sure you get ahold of it...... :roll:

Miles has some toys that he prefers over others, and maybe 2 or 3 that I would consider his favorites, BUT there isn't a toy on earth that he wouldn't drop in a heartbeat for something new.

No matter how into a toy he is: chewing, squeaking, fetching, cuddling, etc., the minute he sees something unfamiliar in my hand the old toy is yesterday's news and he becomes fixated on the new thing. It doesn't even have to be an altogether new toy, sometimes I present him with a toy that he hasn't seen or played with in a while and he acts like it is the greatest toy ever put on this earth.

Guest Anonymous

Brooklyn: Doesn't really care for toys, weird hey? I do buy them for him but he only will play with tug toys, and only if their is a human on the other end playing, never another dog.

Tydo: Loves tennis balls..he is obessed. I have cut his addiction down to one a day, but before he was up to two or three a day..wrecking them or hiding them in yard of course. New or old ones work for him. He also likes new stuffed animal over old ones, mostly since new ones last five minutes before they are destuffed.

Jaeden: Loves stuffed animals too. She will hang on and not ruin the ones she likes, then no matter how old they are she loves them. She also loves anything (new or old) that any other dog has. But she never steals it, she just whines and begs until they get annoyed and give it up.

Hippo loves any new toy--after a few days when it's no longer new, it doesn't present any interest anymore. With the exception of nylabones and tennis balls which she destroys in an hour or two (after which time, they are removed, so she doesn't have time to get bored of them)... And she loves anything any other dog has, so she'll chase, pester, pull on that dog, until she successfully removes the toy from him/her--then she runs in circles with "her" new toy :lol:

Riley - another tennis ball freak. he could fetch until the cows came home if he had someone to play with. He dosen't really care much for other toys at least not yet, but if he sees a ball he goes nuts.

Lucky - Loves all toys old or new. But especially loves tug toys. Whether playing with a dog or human he loves tug of war.

Chaos is so funn ywith toys. She can entertain herself for hours. She'll take a ball or other toy and toss it up in the air and catch it when it bounces. She'll even play tug with herslef by holding one end of the rope under her paws. And she absolutely adores stuffed animals. I have a huge collection on my couch, and she steals 3 or 4 a day and just piles them in the middle of the room. At night I usually find her all curled up with like a dozen stuffed animals sleeping peacefully. :angel:

Freebee wil play with a new toy for a while, then ignore it.

Her all time all consuming passion is her "Jolly Ball"....

it's a large inflated ball (about the size of a soccer ball) with a handle on it.
She wants to fetch it, ALL THE TIME.... as soon as I go into the back yard she grabs the jolly ball and insists I throw it so she can bring it back and I can throw it again. This could go on for hours if I let it...

No other toy surpasses that one.

:lol:

Indy always gets excited over a new toy and that seems to be the new favourite for the next few hours or days depending on what type of toy it is.

However he always seems to go back to his favourite, which is a little latex turtle/spider (not really sure what it's supposed to be) that we call Herbie. He seems to like to submerge Herbie in his water bowl till he fills up with water then Indy runs around the house with him in his mouth squirting water everywhere :roll:

Ben does not play with toys....he pretends to be too dignified for that type of activity. Once in a great while he will find a stick outside and flip it around and then munch it in half, discarding the bits.

Jerry enjoys balls and tug toys. Plays tug of war with himself and shakes the tug toy around so hard he bops himself in the head. :roll: Doesn't seem to have a preference yet for one particular toy although one might be discovered after he has been with us longer!

Maya has 2 that are her faves. One is a kids toy from McDonalds - a Furby with a tail that pulls out and then shakes as it goes back in. She played with it so much, pulling the tail out with her mouth while holding it with her paws, that she ruined the tail. She still likes to play with it, just not as much. Her other favorite is a squeaky porcupine(I think!!) that she seems to love to play with best whenever we are watching a movie, and it is real quiet in the house!! GRRR!!
She also likes tug - she and my mothers' schnauzer really get going, it its really cute! and Fetch.
She also likes to think the cat is her toy, but we are trying to discourage her from that!!!!!

Kavik's favourite toy currently is a magnetic dart board. The dart's are plastic covered. Kavik will snatch them out of the air while I try to throw them at the dart board. He is obsessed with them and will sit staring at them or the place they usually are until someone plays with him. Zaphod has just begun to enjoy retrieving so his favourite toy is anything I throw. Kavik enjoys retrieving as well so I alternate throwing for one then the other, fairly good sharing although if Zaphod's toss is too close to Kavik then Kavik will always steal it - TODAY WAS THE FIRST TIME EVER THAT ZAPHOD SNATCHED ONE AWAY FROM KAVIK - he is usually not fast enough or agile enough to do so, he was so proud he took a victory lap around us, prancing and chomping on the kong. :D

Zebra's favorite toy is a squeeky hippo..it's a nubby/wooly type of fabric and he LOVES it. He will bring it up to us when he wants to play and either wants us to throw it so he can catch it or to play tug-o-war with it. So far we have gone threw about 6 of these hippos because he always tears an ear off or some other body part. :roll:

His other favorite toy is a Kong..and that's just because he loves food and will do anything to get it out of the kong. :lol: