Dogomania

Anyone see "I"m obsessed with my dog"?

StarFox

Ok..I don't know how many people here have MTV or even watch it. But they have a show called "True Life" and this week it was "True Life: I'm obsessed with my dog". So of course I HAD To watch it..thinking I might get a good laugh out of it. Instead I was horrified. There were 3 segments one with a man who had a Pit and had his Pit sleep on the bed with him and his girlfreind sleep on the couch alone. (umm ok I don't know why any self respecting woman would put up with that kind of behaviour but whatever.).

Then there was a couple who had a male pug that they wanted to breed becuase "he is cute". Yea...that's why they wanted to breed the dog. So they went around dog parks and handed out flyers saying that they needed to find a bitch to mate with there dog. (Oh what a fantastic way of finding a bitch!!! :evil: ) THey finally found someone who had a unalterd female but she didn't want to breed her bitch to the other dog because he was too big. Well they never did find a bitch for there dog to mate with (THANK GOD!!!) but they are still looking for one.

The third segment was a model that had a white toy poodle. Ok this woman was beyond obsessed with her dog. She could not be without it..and if she did have to leave it at home or at the groomers she would freak out and chain smoke. Alright now here is the part that realy pissed me off..she took her dog to be groomed once a month. (now remember it's a white dog). So she got the dog trimmed and dyed...she dyed her dogs fur PINK!!!!! They hairdye they used on the poor dog was the stuff that I have used before! Humane hair dye. This dye has so many chemicals and stuff that I don't even use it anymore and they were putting it on a dog! So they put this Bright PINK dye ALL over this dog..i mean all over her. I was flipping out because they put it so close to her eyes. :x I don't know of any groomer that would dye a poodle bright pink. Then of course they stick this poor dog into a cage and put a heater in front of her because they have to heat set the dye. This dog was whinning and trying to get out of the cage and away from the heat. I was sick to my stomich. And the owner of the dog said "Well I know she dosn't like to be groomed but she was born a poodle and that's what they were breed for."..... :x :evil: Ok poodles were NOT breed to be dyed pink by stupid air head models like her! AGGH! Sometime I just...uh! I just get so frusterated! Well turns out this woman wanted a play mate for her dog so she bought another toy poodle.

Uh....ok sorry for the rant. I just had to get that out.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I LOVE my dog, but that was scary. I worry about people that consumed and misinformed with thier dogs. I watchedfor a while but then I saw the pink poodle and lost it.
Sad.... very sad

Oh, that poor little poddle.
Some peolpe only care about how their dog will look with them. :evil:

The first story made me laugh. :lol:
I can't believe a woman would put up with that. :evil:
Sure you can love your dog, but you can also love your spouse.
And thats just going a little to far. :x

Guest Anonymous

What about the guy that said he loved his dog more than his woman and if she didnt like it she could get the **** out? I am a fanatic for my dogs but no to the point that i would disrespect and dissasociate with my spouse/ girl friend/ signifigant other. Thats crazy, anyone will tell you that some people are and some people are not dog-people. When two dog people get together it is a beautiful thing. when you get one of each the person that isnt a dog-person usually gets converted right over, but that only happens with considation, time, and understanding. YOu dont force your dog on someone and then expect them to feel like you do over night... it just doesnt work that way.

I dyed my Poodle pink (for any Poodle lurkers out there, I know the pattern is all wrong and the rosettes are sliding off her butt, but this was my first stab at a continental). Who knew it would be so controversial? :-?
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0YgAuAIogCJWtdeMrfzd0dE6m6OYwObfrcMhIjTjnUPajbZZGLGigzasmkJ1OtzRcV8rOteAYapQXWTXVGnLSKybza4RsW9dvtyXUm3FUI7HYoOPT2ZEBWCXBGzPpHKsWYUCAPFHoHaElxoUEUOsQUg/pinkpeanutheart.JPG?dc=4675379141890447836[/img]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Rowie-the-Pooh']OMG HOW HORRIBLE!!!!! :evil: The last one horrified me the MOST!!!!! THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE BRED FOR???? They where bred to retrieve, NOT to be dyed pink! The coat wasn' for fashion it was to keep the dog from getting wet when retrieveing! UGH! :evil:

Poor pug... :([/quote] sorry theres nothing worng with dying your poodles hair pink cause i dye my poodle hair each month baby powder blue and there nothing worng with it cause its cute and everybody likes it and plus were iam from everybody dyes there poodle hair my freind dyed her poodles hair poweder pink and its not bad for them and in beverlyhills hollywood we go to the finest groomer and they wont hurt them :P :roll:
and to if theres somrthing bad about it e-mail at [email][email protected][/email]

MydogRoxy-Thanks for the correction. I Thought it was a Pitt but your right it is an American Bulldog.

Beverlyhillsmonroe69- the problems I had with this woman dying her dog pink is :
1: she was ignortant to think that "that's what they were breed for"
2. the dye that they used was a very powerful dye that specifically says not to use on eyebrows or eye lashes. They were putting the dye right next to the dogs eyes. the label on the dye also says not to ingest. They were putting the dye on the mouth of the dog and she was licking at it.

Another thing you said "there nothing worng with it cause its cute and everybody likes it and plus were iam from everybody dyes there poodle hair"....just because everyone does it dosn't make it right. and just because it's "cute" and "everyone likes it" dosn't mean it's safe.

Thanks Mei-Mei and StarFox for handling that for me... :roll:

Oh and BTW I didn't have a problem with them DYING the dog, I had a problem with them saying it was OK and torturing the poor dog. As StarFox pointed out. Their fur wasn't bred to be dyed, it was to protect them. You can dye your poodles fur, but what that lady did was wrong. Plain wrong. And just because everyone does it doesn't make it okay. Everyone smokes but that doesn't make it okay. And dying your dogs hair because people think it's "cool" or "cute" is just sad. Sorry, but that's how I feel about it.

Actually, I dyed my dog prior to a charity event to raise money for the local shelter. It was a big attention getter which is a GOOD thing when trying to raise awareness. I will do it again. I've been taking creative grooming courses at some of the trade shows and I'm thinking of eventually competing. Some of these dogs are awesome. One winner makes her dog look like a dragon. The whole dog! It's colored, sculpted, beautiful. I'll try to find some pictures to post.

Also, as far as dogs being as nature intended, think hard about that. Depending on how one wants to perceive that, dogs would never be bathed, brushed or clipped. After all, if left alone, "nature" stinks them up and mats them. There would be no Cocker clips, no Schnauzer clips, no Poodle clips, no big hairy beasts being shaved down for summer. "Nature" didn't grow them that way to begin with.

I still say to each his/her own. I personally detest jackets and coats for dogs for the sake of fashion (not talking about a Chihuahua going outside in subzero temps) and those studded and spiked collars designed to make a dog look tough, but I would never belittle anyone who chose to do it. I pick and choose my battles carefully. There is far too much abuse, neglect and abandonment going on out there for me to worry much about people dying dogs, or putting jackets on them.

By the way, I've not seen ONE incidence of harm in the dozens of people I've known to dye their dogs. Not a single one. I've seen far more dogs harmed by annual vaccinations, off the shelf shampoos, cheapo flea spot on treatments and the like... all of which were designed FOR USE on dogs.

I would have no problem with people saying, "that looks silly to me," or, "I personally wouldn't do it," but it's just plain wrong and judgmental for people who know nothing about it to claim it's cruel. I go to great lengths to ensure proper care of my animals and to be labeled as cruel just kind of bugs me. Call me silly, call me crazy, laugh at me, tell me the dog looks goofy, but don't label me as cruel just because you don't like the way my dog looks.

Guest Anonymous

If the dye they were using on the dog was harmful, then it's wrong. But if it wasn't going to harm the dog, I see no reason to detest (that's the right word right??? :oops: :lol: ). But it sounds like this model wasn't using proper dye (which makes me wonder about the groomer...) and they had this dog sittin in front of a hot fan, that is wrong. Although I never saw the show...
I'd love to see the dragon dog! :lol: I just love dragons! As long as it wasn't harming the dog in anyway, I don't see why not!
As for studded collars and such, I love them (to a certian degree... I've seen some PEOPLE who wear some really spikey collars and braceletts, and I wouldn't put those on a dog in case they got hurt in some way), but I'd actually like to get a small studded collar. I think they look neat, but this is all in my opinion. If someone buys a collar like that, and puts it on (not judging breeds, but you all know how it is...) say a "Pit Bull" and the reason they do it is because "they have a tuff and mean dog, and they want to show it" then that's just wrong. But if they get one of those collars just because they like it, and they explain to people that they reason isn't to make their dog tuff, then it's okay.
But it bothers me that people will snarl and get mad if someone puts a studded collar on a APBT, yet when it's on say, a chihuahua, then it's just a joke. Whatever, it's just a COLLAR!

Although I don't see 'why' anyone would dye their pets hair a different color, I say as long as the dye product is MADE for dogs - not humans - then it isn't that bad. Human shampoo is bad for dogs, so hair dye should just be as bad, if not worse.
I've heard that hair dye can cause skin cancer? If that's true or not, I dunno. But if it is, that should be taken into consideration.

I agree with Shara in that as long as the dye is not harmful then it's okay. I have no problem what so ever with a person dying their dog's fur. Not at all. What bothered me was the model saying that that was what they where bred for. I disagree with that model deeply.

With the dog being as "Nature Intended", I guess I will change what I said. I used the wrong chioce of words, I guess. What I meant was I am against people cropping/docking dogs tails, or changing them physically. (PLEASE no offence to people who do, that was just in my personal opinion!). And now that I have seen the way HF put it, I will change the part about the coat color. As long as it's not harmful, then okay. I just like Poodle natural coats color better, that's all. My personal opinion. :wink:

HF, I hope I haven't offended you in any of my other posts or in this one! I really didn't intend to, that was just my personal opinion. I do not, or will not, EVER think you are cruel for dying your poodle's hair-[i]ever[/i]! I was against the model's opinion of :"that's what they're bred for", that's all. I'm really sorry if I offended you in any way! :wink:

dying a dog for a specific occasion is not bad, depending on the dye. You should not use commercial hair dyes because the dogs will lick their fur.
kool-aid and water-based dyes are ok, providing you realize it will have to grow out on its own.....

[quote]What about the guy that said he loved his dog more than his woman and if she didnt like it she could get the **** out? I am a fanatic for my dogs but no to the point that i would disrespect and dissasociate with my spouse/ girl friend/ signifigant other. Thats crazy, anyone will tell you that some people are and some people are not dog-people. When two dog people get together it is a beautiful thing. when you get one of each the person that isnt a dog-person usually gets converted right over, but that only happens with considation, time, and understanding. YOu dont force your dog on someone and then expect them to feel like you do over night... it just doesnt work that way.

and yes, Rott, I agree. You cant force love of an animal on another person - it either happens, or it doesnt.....

I suppose I should explain my comment. I used food coloring to dye my hair green for St. Patricks day. I didnt realize it doesnt wash out...

I had green hair for pratically forever, until it grew out. It was harmless, but your hair stems absorb it and then you're stuck with it.

so if you're going to dye your dog, make sure you dont use commercial
dyes, and be willing to wait for it to grow out on it's own....

:D

Guest Anonymous

I never would have thought to dye my dogs hair, but after seeing it, I do believe I would do it. It's just a matter of finding out what products are safe to use to dye a dogs hair. Could people tell me what they have used to dye their dogs, or things they have heard of? Thanks so much. :D

If you wanna email it to me instead of post it, my email is: [email][email protected][/email]

Other creative contestants.
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0XQDEAkYeucZCnfKyacun1JMgkP7GjdbDujlSVzjVLUaq1NZz3jR08wG8uHh8auf5bdvl4wSlGI9srkcUTVn6kRpzOzM9tDlhlXoARgmvclsEVNX8iFreNkn!uh5B2!sl0v0GMvwIB7c/creative1.jpg?dc=4675434978543789583[/img]
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0XADMAhUe*7JCnfKyacun1FKavHJJWURMf2v7GhVQbtPIJeTA28ufrDJrBKsQSwIzCBaNJSGwJMJa3xIy6FAqB2I5bBSO7SAJT4fsN7CHMxvc82zXLyi*oZoW1F8x3fFLajkXzielPnU/creative.jpg?dc=4675434978515628914[/img]
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0XQANA0ceDMdCnfKyacun1E4Bu7Qcp9sanC!SYHvC!YI6wZWQi8M19a7DjNXTkDnlIq2I8DTqJ448V9MKG!xvRWd9H3l99NWUiMKqnP9ncqYssm1O53GyBVRnG*2TPHy9me4EfQ8y818/creative2.jpg?dc=4675434978570238628[/img]

There are some other really awesome ones somewhere; I can't find them! :cry: Two of my favorites that I can't find were a red, white and blue dog tastefully done in a space shuttle tribute to those astronauts who lost their lives earlier this year. Another was made up like a court jester, but had amazing coloring. Anyway, there's way more to coloring dogs than meets the eye! :wink:

I will be doing a creative someday, as soon as I've finished mastering my patterns (I've evolved from my meager beginnings posted earlier in this thread :oops: ). I will be coloring both my Toy and Standard Poodles for Spring to be in our town's Rose Parade. The Standard will (hopefully) be towing the Toy in a little red wagon. 8)

Guest Anonymous

OMG! I LOVE THE SPIDER ONE! It's done really well!! :D
Man, now I wana dye my dog's hair haha, too bad he's black.

[quote]What I meant was I am against people cropping/docking dogs tails, or changing them physically. (PLEASE no offence to people who do, that was just in my personal opinion!). [/quote]

I couldn't have said it better! I totally agree!! I actually think Dobes look cuter with their ears down and everything! (Although I guess they were used mainly as gaurd dogs werent' they? (I don't know much about them) so "Cute" was probably not a look gone for a lot :lol: :wink: