Dogomania

Anyone see "I"m obsessed with my dog"?

StarFox

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mary's mama, just because YOU don't like it doesn't make it wrong. You have yet to tell me one thing "wrong" with it except that YOU don't like it. Please tell me what I'm doing that's detrimental to my dog's overall health and wellbeing and then maybe I'll change my mind. She doesn't mind, the other dogs aren't pointing and laughing, so I don't get where the problem lies. Educate me. People do lots of things with their pets that are for the OWNERS' fulfillment (again, those studded/spiked collars, costumes, clothes come to mind... tell me what the dog gets out of those... still, I would never deny a dog owner the choice to do that if they want to, no matter how silly I think it is). What does a stinky dog get out of a bath? HE doesn't care if he stinks, but the bath is for the selfish owner's desire to not have his olfactory senses offended. If you bathe your dog, you're being selfish and irresponsible! Let the dog smell natural! You have terriers... do you hand strip them (I have no clue if you show or not)? Oh, the horror of hand stripping terriers! Nature didn't intend for them to have hair yanked out. Then again, I guess grooming altogether is to satisfy owner vanity. After all, why not let dogs become the stinking matballs nature intended?

Seriously, it's as ridiculous to me that people get upset over something so silly as it is to you that someone would color a dog. If anyone can give me any substantiated facts as to why it's detrimental to a dog's overall health, I'll gladly take it into consideration. You'll have to do better than the fact that you don't like it, though. Call me irresponsible all you want to, but can you substantiate that with facts of how my dog is being potentially harmed? I don't care who thinks it's silly, goofy, something they wouldn't do. People do things every day that I think are outright stupid and would never consider doing, but I'm just a live and let live sort of person. If it's stupid, but harmless, I can live with it.

I'll be sure to post pictures when I color my Standard Poodle red, white and blue. If the other dogs point and laugh, I'll color them all, too, so they'll all be on a level playing field. Heck, I may just color my Toy this weekend just because now my mind is on it (she's never been purple... hmmm). 8)

Pwrpufgirlz, I don't know what kind of Manic Panic you used, but the stuff I used stayed there until it GREW out. It doesn't rub off, wash off, or wear off and barely faded until it grew out and was eventually clipped off. My dog was pink for months (and never a single skin reaction).

Guest Anonymous

I agree about 99% with HF (the other 1% is the studded collars, but I've already made my point about that... so I won't beat a dead horse... so to speak :o )
Although I'm not so sure about the Manic Panic, but I can't exactly argue because i have nothing to back me up. I have next to no knowledge about chemicals and stuff, and I've never even heard of manic panic before this thread! I just haven't read whats in it or anything either though!

And about the acting like a dog is your doll. That's outragous! Points were made VERY CLEARLY that if the dog protests, or it seems to indanger the dog in anyway then the people who have dyed there dogs here (HF being one) would have stopped. But she said the dog actually enjoys it, and you know why? Probably because of the attention! We all know how much dogs just love our attention! :D The dog doesn't mind, and it's getting extra attention from it's owner (not saying you don't give your dogs attention HF, but dogs are like sponges when it comes to attention! :lol: :lol: :angel: ) So if anything the dog [i]is[/i] getting something from it! If a dog doesn't like it, then there's not much reason in doing it! It's just putting stress on the dog, and that's just down right mean!
As for the "we should focus on the animals being neglected" and such, I agree 100%, although this is a really good topic I think. There's so many people who have different opinions about things, and this has turned into a great one I think.

Guest Anonymous

:roll: The dog looked better pink. I'm sure that it was far more humane and less scary than the tactics I would use on you to correct your grammar above. Get over it. Pink dogs rule. :evil:

Ok, everyone STOP! :roll: :lol:

As Aonir said, to each their own opinion! This IS a good thread, but I'm afraid something might break out.

Let's just face it, some people like dying their dog's fur, while some don't. Some people think it's the owner's choice. We can't change other people's opinions. We can all get our points across and that's it! :wink:

To those who dye your poodle's, okay. To those who don't, okay. To those who oppose of it, okay. To those who think it's the owner's choice, okay.

Let's just forget this topic, okay? :wink:

HF - I think you are over reacting just a little. I did not intend to offend you, I was simply surprised it is so widely accepted. And that there are competitions at that. I really didn't think much of it till I saw the pictures you posted. Those poor dogs is all I could think.

I have not said one thing about safety or harmfullness. I believe that you all are doing what you can to make sure you do it in the safest manner possible. You love your dogs very much and it is quite evident.

To me it is more of a moral or ethical issue maybe. I guess I dont have a concrete safety issue or something to say it is detrimental, I just think it is plain wrong. To me there has to be a line some where. Collars and clothes stay on for a short amount of time and dont physcally alter the dog, they are like accessories. But to make your dog look like a dragon??? I am baffled by this. I think it is just going to far. And just as much as I dont know if they hate it, you dont know if they like it. Just cuz they dont protest doesn't mean much, they are well trained aren't they?

I do hand strip my terriers. I have nothing against grooming, it is necessary for the dogs proper health, you want to keep their skin and coat healthy. I bath them to get the dirt off of them, not cuz they smell.

I dont want to change your mind, I know that I wont. I could tell from reading that there were people who didn't agree but were just afraid to ruffle your feathers (no pun intended :fadein: ). And there are folks that did speak up once I broke the ice.

So my point is, I think there is a line and dying a dog to make it look like a spider or dragon, IMO is a disgusting representation of how humans take advantage of their position over dogs. We dont have to agree. I just get worried about people who are so ingrained in a subculture that they can't step out and look at it from a general perspective. I find the same to be true about alot of dog subcultures. People get so deep into they can't see out of it to the reality of it.

Guest Anonymous

[quote=Mary's Mama]HF - I think you are over reacting just a little. I did not intend to offend you[/quote]

I'm not offended at all. I reckon I feel the same as you, as odd as it sounds. I don't mean to sound offensive when I say this, but I also think the whole concept is being overreacted to. I'm not trying to start a dog dying revolution. Anyway, I wasn't offended at all. Anyone that has been here any length of time knows that I love a good debate. :)

HF

I know I am late joining in here but:
After seeing those pics HF posted I have to say, if I could find a petsafte product I would sooooo love to dye my pet for fun and festive occasions (so long as my dog didn't hate it) unfortunately my dogs are mostly black so there is not much I can do. :(

Guest Anonymous

[quote=Mary's Mama]So my point is, I think there is a line and dying a dog to make it look like a spider or dragon, IMO is a disgusting representation of how humans take advantage of their position over dogs. [/quote]

I forgot to say that if it makes anyone feel any better, I humble myself on a daily basis for the entertainment of my dogs. These two go with me EVERYWHERE (including restaurants with outdoor tables, home improvement stores, banks, insurance office, work... I mean EVERYWHERE) and it's nothing for me to engage in an in depth conversation with them right in front of God and everybody. I talk to them as I would my own children (if I *shudder* had them). I am as much theirs as they are mine and I assert no "dominance" (as in taking advantage of a position) over them. If I thought it would please them, I would dye ME pink. :lol:

Anyway, no harm, no foul. I cheerfully agree to disagree. 8)

HF

[quote]If I thought it would please them, I would dye ME pink. [/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think it would come to that but if it does - go brilliantly royal blue instead its such a cheerful colour! I don't think they care at all about our grooming habits but tolerate our obsession with theirs with reasonably good humour.
But I do find that all 4 beasties here are fascinated whenever I take a bath - they all watch :o The cats must thing I'm some kind of masocist and the dogs try to drink the water - the seem to think I'm soup! I gave up shooing them out but I do insist on closing the door. This upsets those left outside who fuss till I let them in. So now I just call all 4 of them before I get in the tub, close the door and THEN settle in for a soak.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='"DogPaddle"'][quote]But I do find that all 4 beasties here are fascinated whenever I take a bath - they all watch :o [/quote]

Coal too!!! When I get too hot I put my legs up on the side of the tub and he'll lick the watter off my legs and feet! It tickles so bad! :lol: :lol:

LOL DP, Indy is the same - he either drinks the water, tries to climb in or lies on the floor and chews the bath mat :-? I don't bother with baths much anymore.

Though sometimes showers are not much safer.. our shower does opens out and Indy likes to lie in front of it - one day he would just not get up when I told him..... I thought I was going to be standing there all day.

In regards to the dying issue I really think it's a matter of opinion. I personally don't really like it - but that's my opinon and I don't believe I have any right to force that opinion on others (again assuming that dog safe dyes are being used).

Malamum wrote:
[quote]our shower does opens out and Indy likes to lie in front of it - one day he would just not get up when I told him..... I thought I was going to be standing there all day. [/quote]

:lol: I can just see trying to explain that to your boss.

K wrote:
[quote]Probably wondering why you dont just lick yourself clean...a much more water friendly aproach![/quote]

Very true, much more environmentally freindly, once again my dogs are smarter than me. :D The best part is Zaphod would do most of it for me - normally its all I can do to get him to stop licking.

Hazel wrote:
[quote]he'll lick the watter off my legs and feet! [/quote]
Look at that no need for towels either!

Guest Anonymous

as to Guest, i do not think it is a very smart decision to get a poodle for the reason JUST to dye it.... i have no problem dying it.. but if u just want something to dye a dog is not a good idea.....
I am going Thursday to make an appointment to get my Tinkerbell dyed pink... how weird, i am going to the SAME place Piper brought Shay in MTV true life!!! isnt that funny.
as to Horsefeathers,,, i couldnt agree with you more on everything u say...
as for marys mama, i think she needs something else to complain about. i see some of her points but most are alittle overboardm just my opinion...
when i dye Tinks fur i MYSELF will also get pink chunks in my dirty blonde hair to expierence the same torture" lol
as to everyone that disagrees with dyeing a dog i am very curios on this... how do you all feel about dressing up a dog, painting its nails, giving it a bath, cropping its ears, docking it tails????? i can not think of any more things right now but i am not trying to be snotty or anything, i just am honestly curios on how those who percieve dying as "wrong" their opinions on these factors.... thanks everyone:)

[quote name='Lolita4Life']
as for marys mama, i think she needs something else to complain about. i see some of her points but most are alittle overboardm just my opinion... [/quote]

You're free to have your own opinion and not agree with mine. I am not complaining I just think you all should find something better to do with your time. To me, we have a responsibility to take care of our animals the best way possible, and I dont believe dying them is included in that.

[quote name='Lolita4Life']when i dye Tinks fur i MYSELF will also get pink chunks in my dirty blonde hair to expierence the same torture" lol [/quote]

I never said it was torture, that is ridiculous. Also, you are making that choice for yourself, as you have a right too, your poor dog has no voice. For people who think this is a perfectly fine thing to do, you are being awfully defensive.

[quote name='Lolita4Life']as to everyone that disagrees with dyeing a dog i am very curios on this... how do you all feel about dressing up a dog, painting its nails, giving it a bath, cropping its ears, docking it tails????? [/quote]

I think clothes are fine, they are temporary. Painting nails (while being very strange to me) is okay too I guess, its pretty temporary also. Baths are a necessity for some breeds, others not. I do think they are necessary to maintain proper health, part of our responsibility to our pets. Docking and cropping are completely different. Cropping ears is very cruel, but docking I dont have such a big problem with. It is done before the nervous system recognizes the tail and causes no pain or other negative impact. It is quite necessary in some breeds, especially those that work for a living.

I dont have to like to dying and you dont have to care what I think. My main point was that there were quite a few that I could tell didn't agree but didn't want to go against the grain. I wanted to give them an opening to express their feelings and let them know they are not alone.

i don't understand how you can be against dying and ear cropping but think that tail docking is ok. i understand your point about the lack of nervous system and hence no pain (which i never knew :D ) but there is still a permanent change being made to the dog. many people would say that there is very little pain involved in ear cropping also. and there is no pain when dying a dog, so i don't really follow your line of thought. maybe i'm missing out on something or not understanding you properly?

Guest Anonymous

i did not mean anyone in particular when i said "torture" & i totally respect anyones opinion that you disagree with dying a dog.
i believe everyone has the right to an opinion. the only thing i disagree with is when peopl say it is "wrong" because the dog doesnt have a voice.,.... theyre right, dogs do not have a voice.... in ANYTHING... for all we know our dogs may hate the food we feed them, taking a bath, getting groomed, ya know, EVERYTHING. i am not saying dying is a responsability we need to fulfill for our dogs, i just think some ppl look too far into it... how is ok to paint nails & dress dogs up b/c it is temporary, but docking, which is permanent is ok? dying is temp & doesnt hurt, so why cant that be fine as well ya know. ppl say things like it is unnatural, but so is sooo much we do for our dogs or to our dogs. a dog doesnt have a voice in anything, so why is its lack of voice so different when dying a dog? i am not pointing anybody out here, just expressing my views on this subject. i am not expecting answers to these questions... i just dont think that god forbid we dye a dog that some ppl automatically think we are a bad owner. :wink: like i said, i just do not think it should be considered "wrong". the welfare of the dog is not being harmed in anyway, if anything maybe it just shows how much someone actually adores their dog ! fighting dogs is wrong. neglecting dogs is wrong. not feeding your dog is wrong. beating your dog is wrong. alot of things are wrong, & i think that just b/c someone doesnt agree with dye thats fine, not everyone will, but lets not go as far as calling it "wrong" :angel:

Guest Anonymous

im guessing just dip the dog in it... then it would probably stain your tub .... i dont want to use kool-aid cuz it has to grow out & takes forever & id probably mess up & make it all blotchy.....
i went today & made Tinkerbell an appointment... she'll be pink October 15th.. woohoo!