Dogomania

things you've randomly taught your dogs :)

Marble

well today i was working for too long and decided to take a break. i am moving next month and have a few large boxes lying around. so i taught dresden and lady to get into the box and lie down (the command is "get in")......it was pretty entertaining for all of us, i thought maybe it'd be a useful base for training other commands someday :)

what random/useful things have you all taught your dogs? just curious :)

To run to the treat jar before they go for a walk, :roll: when they come back from a walk, :o before I go to work, :roll: when I come back from work, :o after I've brushed them, :roll: after I've done Rosie's tum, :o every time they come in from the garden. :roll: Need I go on, what clever girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

not real useful, but random....

she's not allowed to sleep on my bed. When the alarm goes off in the morning and she hears me hit the snooze, she jumps up on the end of the bed and curls up - it's like "her time"....then she will hear the alarm "click" before it goes off, and will nudge me to wake up.

She has also learned that when I close the makeup drawer in the bathroom that means I'm dressed and she gets fed next. She'll jump up off the floor as soon as she hears the drawer close.

:D

I taught my dogs...out of desperate measures! that when walking on lead on the poper left hand side when I say over its time to move over to my right hand side....this I only trained as we have very narrow little path ways alongside the major country roads I live on (no side walks out here! :o ) there is only one side of the road to walk on both ways on the walk...so when walking down the road my dogs are closest to the road, when I hear a car coming I say over and all 5 of them move over to my right hand side...this will not help me in 2 months when I try to put a CD on 2 of my Newf's...but, it works for us right now.

I noticed that when I'm walking Bentley and I'm ready to turn around and head home I'll say "Lets go back" and he will turn and start home. He hates it when I leave and I have had to come up with different terms to keep him from getting too excited( he always wants to go) so I say things like "I'm leaving" "I'm going" and then I have had to get creative & say " I will be exiting soon" anyway he has learned them all and I now have started spelling things like I'm [b]G O I N G[/b] or [b]L E A V I N G [/b] etc. & I swear he is learning to spell , his ears perk up and that little head tilts and he really listens and starts getting excited. He is just too cute !

When I take Zebra out on walks and we make a left or right turn down the street. I will say LEFT! And he will turn left...and when I say RIGHT he will turn right. :D I'm amazed that he can remember and know the difference betweent the two..considering he can't even remember SIT half of the time! :roll: :wink:

Well, I 'taught' Jesse that reacting strongly to the smoke detector or carbon monoxide detector was a desired behaviour. Thought it was a smart move at the time so I rewarded him for reacting.
STUPID CAROL! STUPID!
DO NOT TEACH A SOUND SENSITIVE/NERVOUS DOG THIS!
My thinking at the time was (I guess) that should I mysteriously go deaf in my sleep he would hear the alarm and wake me.
Unfortunately due to his sound sensitivity, the slightest peep will put him right over the edge into a panic state now. His sensitivity has in some ways worsened, depends on the frequency or hertz of the sound. He can still hear the higher frequency sounds quite well but has lost some of the lower. The rumble of thunder by itself no longer bothers him but the shriek of the detector gets an immediate full-blown reaction.
This includes him crying, hard panting, pacing, pawing at me, running about with a toy clenched in his jaws etc.
Now the toy carry is something else I taught, this has helped some. Kept him from nipping me when he was in a panic. He will play some vigorous tug with me at this time. Getting him settled down again can take quite a time.
I have to put him outside to check the detectors, change the batteries, etc.

I inadvertently taught Sam to come tearing into the kitchen when he hears whipped cream being squirted out of the can.

It all started about 3 years ago at X-mas. We were having pumpkin pie for dessert and I was squirting the whipped cream on the pie. Sam was sitting there watching intently, so I opened his mouth and squirted some in. It obviously made quite the impact on him.

To this day, the sound of whipped cream being squirted out brings him running to get his fix, which I dutifully oblige. Its quite amazing, considering we only get whipped cream every 6 months or so (X-mas and Summer). There isn't even a whisper of hesitation when he hears that sound.

I inadvertently taught Sam to come tearing into the kitchen when he hears whipped cream being squirted out of the can.

It all started about 3 years ago at X-mas. We were having pumpkin pie for dessert and I was squirting the whipped cream on the pie. Sam was sitting there watching intently, so I opened his mouth and squirted some in. It obviously made quite the impact on him.

To this day, the sound of whipped cream being squirted out brings him running to get his fix, which I dutifully oblige. Its quite amazing, considering we only get whipped cream every 6 months or so (X-mas and Summer). There isn't even a whisper of hesitation when he hears that sound.

this is so funny to read, i'm getting some good ideas too :) carol, dresden is pretty "alert" too, being the mix that she is she is always paying attention to every noise that she hears, so i try to be careful what i emphasize :) i can imagine her doing just what jesse did. starfox, i think that is an awesome idea and i am going to start training dresden to do that too, when i move i'll be in a lot more in the city so we are going to be doing a lot more on-leash work.........should be fun. bentley, your boy is way too smart, lady is somewhat like that, it can be really funny. cassie, i bet that is a sight to behold, all five of them moving like that at the same time :o i'm impressed. angelboddy, do you have a mouser ? :) she points? that's hilarious :) courtnek, dresden is not allowed to sleep on my bed either but i let her up sometimes if i'm just reading, she still has not learned that she has to sit and wait to be allowed permission up, but she is making some slow progress......... :wink:

[quote name='Marble'] angelboddy, do you have a mouser ? :) she points? that's hilarious :)[/quote]

Yep, sure do got a mouser! :wink:
The dare thing is hard to catch. :evil:
We have tried everything. :roll:
Nostalgia lifts her paw up and stares. :P
She will even do this to spiders, in the dark to. :o
It has always just came natural to her. :o
I have always wondered if I could get her into something for searching rodents and pests. :hmmmm:
And make a business out of it. :wink: :P
I can call it: Nostalgias pest control. (Kinda catchy hah.) :wink:
Because they do have dogs that search for termits. :D

:D

wow lots of ideas.

Sally & Rocket have learned when Saturday is, (when mom wears jeans to work we go to the park when we get up from bed-time.) They sleep through my alarm clock mon-fri and wake me up half an hour earlier on Saturdays.

They have learned to ask for me to put a blanket on the couch when they want up on it. They will lay their heads on it, give me the please look and whine.

They know out of the street and too far for when they are off-lead.
I live on a street where the only traffic is the people who live on it, and out of the street is for at home, they are getting to where they don't even go into the street at all.

They also know the sound of the safety seal being removed from a container of yogurt, from a dead sleep at the other end of the house.

:angel:

In my office, there is a clock high on the wall above my desk. It is the "official time keeper" in my office. We always look at it to make sure that we are leaving at the appropriate time.

Last week, one of my coworkers said, "Kaleb is telling you that it is time to go." I turned and looked at Kaleb (who I had been ignoring). Sure enough, he was sitting right next to me and he would look up at the clock and then turn and look at me as if to say, "It is time to leave dummy, are you ready yet?". It was pretty funny.

So, inadvertently, I have taught Kaleb to look at the clock when he is ready to leave. Wierd dog. :-?

When my Dalmatian Ivan was a puppy, he constantly annoyed our older dog Phyllis, so we built a wooden gate to confine him to the kitchen so Phyllis could get some peace and quiet. I would go in and keep him company sometimes. I would have him come lay on my lap and chew on one of his chewies. Fast forward to when he was older. He would come up to whoever was sitting on the couch, plop his chewie on their lap and happily chew away, throwing his paw up to steady it if his human wasn't holding onto it like they should. He would only eat his chewies in this fashion.

This thread is so funny!

I taught my girls "time out" for when they get playing too much when it's time to be quiet (or if one wants to play and the other one doesn't).

Maya has to be on a 40-foot cable when she and Jackie are in the back yard since Maya learned how to jump the fence. I watch them the whole time they're out there. Once in a while, they'll get tangled up. At first, I would say "wait," and I would go untangle them, but now they just stand there and look at me and wait for me to come over there.

I also use "wait" when I'm letting them out. I have Maya's harness and cable hooked on the outside of the door. So I say "wait" while I open the door and grab the harness.

One day I played "hide under the blanket" with them, and now if I put a towel or blanket or anything on Maya, Jackie will just go nuts because she wants to find her under the blanket.

My nephew has two pugs, and if he tells them to do something and they don't listen, he says "that's one." After he says that, sometimes they'll give him an "I don't wanna" look. If he says "that's two," they start walking toward him with their heads down, sulking. I don't think he's ever had to say "that's three."

:lol: :lol:

"That's one"

Jackie that was great you also reminded me that I taught Sally & Rocket to wait until I put there food bowls down before chowing down. Now I can say wait for almost anything, and they just look at me for the o.k. to go.

There time-out word is Quiet Play, when they get to loud in the house I just tell them quiet play and they just make quiet chewbaca noises while play nawing on each others faces.

:angel:

This thread is great!! I haven't really had Maya long enough to see a lot of this, except that whenever she wants anything, she sits in front of me and puts her paw on her nose (we worked really hard on that trick!!)

When I was single, I had a schnauzer named Alphie - he would always travel with me, in the back seat. When he would get hot, he'd jump to the front seat and stick his nose on the vents, and breathe in really hard, then I would turn on the air conditioner for him. I think he thought he was turning it on himself!
He also was very scent sensitive, and HATED :evilbat: the smell of fingernail polish, permanent markers, or Carmex lip balm. He would wrinkle up his nose, lift his upper lip, and sneeze to get rid of the smell. I ended up teaching it to him as "smile",and didn't even have to open anything, just show it to him!

Mouse, Licky usually doesn't wait for me to get out of the shower to try to lick me.....she will open the shower door, reach her head in and lick. It scares the heck out of me if I don't hear the shower door opening!

I did teach Licky to find her sister.......if I can't find Honey anywhere, i'll tell Likcy "find Honey" and she will go look for her and bring her back to me. That also comes in handy when Licky is up my butt wanting to play ball when it's raining outside or just too hot......i'll just tell her to find Honey and she'll leave me alone and play with Honey!!

And they LOVE when I cover them up with blankets......especially Licky. She goes NUTS trying to get to me, my hubby, or Honey. It's hialrious! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I taught Duke to Say Hi.All I have to do is tell him to Say Hi and he barks once.If he doesnt do it the first time I tell him "You can do better than that!" and he barks once.
Also if you start putting your shoes or coat on he freaks out and thinks he is going outside.
If someone knocks on the door you can tell him "whats that? who is that?"ext and he will run and bark at the door.
He also knows the difference between upstairs and downstairs.
You can tell him run it out and he runs and snaps at the air and plays with the air.
Here is another one.Where we take him to go potty(we call it the play area)(we live in an apt complex)there is a bench.You tell him bench and he jumps on the bench and sits until the release command is given.

You tell him fresh water and he runs back and forth between the kitchen and his water bowl.
When me my mom and my step-dad are in one of what i like to call our funny argument(because we argue over stupid stuff and we all laugh in the middle of it)My mom start trying to get Duke to come to her my step-dad to him and me to me.Duke just sits and stares at us as if to say"How stupid do humans get." "Wait a second i thought i had a smart bunch of humans" And then he walks off.

Duke can also put all these expressions on his face. :D :( :o :x :-? :oops: :evil: :roll: :angel: :agrue: :evilbat: :eating: :ylsuper: :evil22: :help1: :placz: :flop: :confused1: :diablotin: :user:

i am really enjoying reading all of these :) dresden also learned go lie down very very quickly, becuase i used a water spray bottle........but what she does is if i tell her to go lie down, she runs into the living room and dives under the sofa leaving only her back legs sticking out......it is quite funny........i only used the water bottle like twice and she's so scared of it that i feel bad using it......so it just about never gets used.......

We have a stone pillar in the backyard that the previous owners had sat a big iron birdbath thing on. Until fairly recently the pillar was vacant. Now because BK used to be such a nuisance at dinner time, we trained him to go up onto the pillar so he would be out of the way while we fed Rinny. So we would say, "on your box!" and he would leap up onto the pillar looking very much like the Dog On The Tuckerbox. He'd wait there until we gave the "eat" command then he would hoe into his food. Now Dad has bought an urn for the pillar, so he can't really jump up on there any longer. He also knows words like "walk", "dinner', "bath", "going"... so we have to find creative ways to not use these words. :roll: :lol:
Back at our old house when I was still at high school and staying at my dad's, he would wake me up most mornings by bringing me in a cup of coffee. When we got Blitz he would also get Blitz to come in and wake me up by saying "Go and get Jane." BK would come in, jump on the bed, lick my face a few times in a vain effort to wake me up, then give up. Dad would come in ten minutes later to find both of us asleep! :lol: