Dogomania

Oh no! Daisy is sick again!!!!

I can't take this again!! especiall with a puppy in the house!!!! My poor baby is sick again, runny stools, now with mucus and blood! I thought I could stop it with pumpkin but she won't eat anything at all now! I guess we should go see the homopathic vet again!!!! I need a quick fix to stop it.

Any other ideas?

Take Daisy off all food for 24 hours then wean her back on bland foods...I have always started my dogs back on natural bio yoghurt and steamed hamburg and white rice...this I have fed for about 3 days just to give my dogs digestive tract a rest....I never feed the yoghurt and Hamburg/rice together....give it a couple of hours between....the yoghurst will help to replenish the beneficial bacteria in the gut. You can even let daisy eat grass as long as there is no pesticides on it....
Sometimes a dogs system can become stressed and it needs a little break....some causes of stress are new foods, environmental triggers (stress in the environment-new changes in household routine etc)

Good luck, taking my babies off food (never water) has always been the best thing for them and has worked wonders. Then you can follow up with a visit to your vet for a physical exam and perhaps blood work and fecal just to be sure there isnt some thing else wrong.

She was basically on water only yesterday. Only had a littlem pumpkin and yogurt. She would not eat anything at all last evening. So, (before reading this) I gave her some rice, pumpkin and yogurt and she ate it right up.

There has been a significant change in our household - JAKE :o
She has eaten a sock again :o (but I didn't know about it until after I gave her)
Rawhide to eat :o

A triple wammy :o :o :o

How about fish oil Cassie? Any good for this?

I wanted to add that when my dog used to get frequent diarrhea I used to give her Kaopectate, this is an absorbent clay and is free of additives...Kaopectate is not a drug and works by simply absorbing and binding irratating material in the gut...I forgot to mention this to you... :oops:
You could certainly try fish oil...I really perfer to give the canned sardines & Salmon (never feed raw fish) as they are getting all the goodness of the fish. Here is an article to read on fish oil supplements before making that decision:

[quote]Are fish oil supplements safe? Do they contain heavy metals and other toxins?
Today's Answer
(Published 08/21/2002)
I

One more thing... :o
I don't know a whole lot about aromatherapy...but, I have heard that there are certain scents which will help a dog feel less tense in times of stress in their lives...I beleive there is one called rescue remedy which you can get at health food stores. I'll try to do some more research and perhaps some one on this board may know of some soothing scents to put in your home for your dogs....I have even heard of people using aromatherapy & theraputic touch for aggression problems as well.

I have ordered L-Glutamine:
This is an amino acid that has shown promising results in the last few years to provide healing in the digestive system. Studies have shown it helps to repair intestinal tissue at the cellular level and it is a precursor to glutathione, an antioxidant. L-glutamine is also an aid to help restore muscle atrophy. It also induces the large intestine to remove excess water, which is helpful for dogs prone to diarrhea.

This was recommended to me by someone from a nutritional site I have joined.

Has anyone ever tried this?

[quote name='Daisysmom']She was basically on water only yesterday. Only had a littlem pumpkin and yogurt. She would not eat anything at all last evening. So, (before reading this) I gave her some rice, pumpkin and yogurt and she ate it right up.

There has been a significant change in our household - JAKE :o
[b][color=red]She has eaten a sock again :o (but I didn't know about it until after I gave her)
Rawhide to eat :o [/color][/b]
A triple wammy :o :o :o

How about fish oil Cassie? Any good for this?[/quote]

This may be the culprit, make sure that the Rawhide you give is made in the USA only, sometimes other countries use stricknine (sp) to sure the bones and rawhide and it can cause digestive problems if not death to our four-legged children. Also rawhide is very slow to digest so if she had a tummy full of it and she swallowed a sock then the sock could be causing the rawhide to scratch her intestines and make them bleed.

I hate to hear that she's sick again, good luck. When Rocket ate the frog I made him a batch of yogurt, pepto-bismal, oatmeal and pedialite. Then I took him off all food and water for the night, let him have water in the morning, some yogurt for lunch and the yogurt, oatmeal, pepto, pedialite mixture for dinner, the next day I added oatmeal to his lunch, then on the third day I introduced kibble to the evening meal.

:angel:

[quote]Pssst Cassie, I have a feeling you might not like to recommend Kaopectate. The ones on the shelves now I believe still have toxic levels of lead in them[/quote]

alicat613,
Thanks for the info...kaopectate has been recommended to me by the Vets I work with and it is also recommended by Dr. Andrew Weil who is one of the leaders of holistic medicine....I'll post this on his web site...

Cassie, the info on Kaopectate has just recently become public, that I know of. Apparently it has had toxic levels of lead all this time! They got sued by California. The liquid now has 80% of the lead removed, the pills have not been reformulated. Scary, huh? FDA approved. Great.

I love Dr. Weil!