Dogomania

Help! Cody just attacked stryker

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

AGAIN i'm at my witts end this is the 2nd time this week that Cody has gone after STryker. the first one was totally my fault and i feel horrible i forgot htat i moved the dog food in to the laundry room, well Zoey knows how to pen the bag and i forgot to close it so they were all in there eating and a food feel on the floor so stryker went for it and cody attacked him.. nothign big.. my fault completly.. and just now about 20 mins ago Styerk and cody were on the floor at my feet both sleeping, then all the sudden i hear stryker screaming an i look down to see cody attackin the hell outta him for NO REASON i was sitting ont he couch and they were at my feet, Stryker will not take his eye off cody and cody got in trouble and will nto come near me righ tnow, probally a good thing he can't hear cuse i was yelling ilooked down and cody was sleeping, stryker was sleeping, zoey was on teh couch and the next thing i know cody is going after stryk. i dont know what to do! they are never left alone together, and now stryker is so scared he pee'd all over him self and poo'd so he got a bath in the sink i searched over and cna't find any marks or anything but i dont knwo what has gotten in to cody. i mean he did nothing at all to invoke this.. what do i do?? do i baby stryker ( who is layin in a toel in my lap and ignore cody, do i go love on cody or is that sending the wrong message do i leave stryker alone if i baby him will it make him a big baby and run to me over anything? i just dont know what to do.....

Guest Anonymous

Hmm... i try to baby all of them equally. I rotate who gets to go out with me and i give them all one on one time alone with me, yeseterday cody got an hour of me all to him slef doing agility int he yard and playing fetch stryker tries to ge tup in my lap and get babied but i always push him down and stuff, but he does sleep on the bed with me, all of them have the option too, but Cody will only stay up there for about an hour an then moves to the floor where he has more room..

i forget the whole aspect of NILF can someone post it to me again? or i guess i can wait for andrea in the morning. I remember her having to do it with her rotties..

[quote name='DeafAussieLover']and just now about 20 mins ago Styerk and cody were on the floor at my feet both sleeping, then all the sudden i hear stryker screaming an i look down to see cody attackin the h*** outta him for NO REASON [/quote]

DAL, it may not have been apparent to you, but there had to have been a reason in their little doggy minds. Perhaps they were staring each other down? Not really obviously to you, maybe, but THEY notice it.

I'm certainly no expert, but I'll tell you how we've handled conflicts in our household.

Taking it at face value, meaning I'm going to assume that Cody is not acting differently otherwise... no health issues, nothing else going on, I'm wondering if it's something that has started really small, maybe things you really didn't notice, and it's just escalated to this. That's what happened when my friend had Peaches. Peaches is the most docile, easy to get along with dog I've ever known. However, my friend created a monster with her. When her dogs would "compete" for attention, treats, whatever, she tried too hard to be fair, or her perception of it, and really overdid it. They began competing a little more violently and she tried even harder to coddle them down. Peaches became TOO competitive and began outright attacking one of my friend's other dogs for what would seem like no reason (but looking at the whole picture, in hindsight, I should have seen it coming... it wasn't "out of nowhere..." there had been signs). In my house, Peaches is a different dog. If I hadn't seen her do it at my friend's house, I'd almost swear that she is incapable of attacking another dog. She shares her bed, toys, space, they tromple her, and she just seems to laugh it off. I think we create our own monsters and my friend created one by coddling Peaches whenever she would compete for attention.

All that jibberish said, what we do in my house is simply not tolerate it. I know a lot of people believe in letting dogs sort out their problems, and I used to believe it, too, but not anymore. I've had too many near catastrophes. We stop it before it ever starts. We don't allow posturing, lip raising, growling, hackling up, [u]staring[/u], anything that could be perceived as threatening. It never has a chance to escalate to a physical confrontation. The times we've had dogs scuffle, we make it clear in absolutely no uncertain terms that we strongly disapprove and will not tolerate it. This may fly in the face of some of the more esteemed experts, but I just don't let them try to establish any sort of pack rank, anymore. I mean, it's always kind of there, but none of that posturing and reinforcing stuff. With ten dogs in the house, it's imperative that they all get along, and I call the "pack" shots in this house, not them. It's also important for me to know that I can bring home fosters without my dogs wanting to attack them. Since they know that animal aggression isn't tolerated, they don't even do more than sniff a new dog.

Now... with all THAT jibberish said, it's probably a good idea to keep Cody and Stryker separated except for when you are monitoring them as in eyes on them, at least for a cooling off period. I have a couple of dogs that absolutely cannot stand each other, so we put as much space between them when we aren't able to watch them as we can get. We don't allow them to scuffle and they know better, but I would never trust them implicitly. Sometimes there are just some dogs that have decided, for whatever reason, that they do not like another dog. My Schnauzer and my Lab... ugh! They love everyone else individually, but my Schnauzer HATES my Lab and never misses a chance to try to pick a fight with him. Of nine other dogs, the Lab is the ONLY dog he bothers.

Watch them closely. Intervene [b]before[/b] it turns into a violent confrontation. Stop any staring, posturing, growling or anything that could be threatening behavior. Just direct their attention elsewhere. I'm not quite crazy enough to believe we've got it all figured out and that we will NEVER have a fight break out... just that we really stay on top of it, and the dogs seem more content in knowing that they don't have to compete with each other.

Hopefully, someone with a little more insight will pop up. This is just what works for us. I tend to try not to over-analyze them and instead deal with the problem at hand rather than try to get into their little heads. I only dig as deep at the problem as I need to unless, of course, I suspect a health issue or some other underlying problem.

Good luck.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the insight HF, starting right now we are doing the NILIF in the house. I didn't h ear anything, so you could be right and maybe one of them was starin each other down. Both of hte dogs are in great health, no problems at all happy go lucky. only thing is cody' deaf but i dont hold htat against him.. nor should anyone else. I guess now that i think about it, it's weird that stryker was on the floor to begin with, he is ALWAYS eaither on the top of couch by the window, or layin on the couch next too me and cody. maybe i dropped soemthign on the floor from dinner and they went to lick it if up, even though i had finished eating an hour ago.. id ont know but they are not allowed to be left alone at all stryker is laying in his bed next to me and cody is sleepin on the couch and if cody comes in here i put him in a sit/down on the other side of me, but he gets bored and goes in teh living romm ( he loves to watch tv ) just scary i guess... i know that cody coudl do damage to stryker, Cody out weighs him but 45 pounds!

I have to agree with HF too. Jake has become aggressive a handful of times mostly with Chelsey, and I have put a stop to it right away. [quote]I call the "pack" shots in this house, not them.[/quote] I live by that!! I think when the dogs are living in the house you have to.

Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='xavierandrea'][u][i]DAL have you read the link yet that DO has posted? [/i][/u][/quote]

yes i read it and started doing the Nilf last night it's working great and they caught on real fast about having to sit before i open doors and wait for me to say ok before they go outside the first few times they tried to go but i shut the door and said no and put them in a sit stay.. and did the same thing for their food last night and play time i waited until none of them was around me and then took one at a time and played with them for 20 mins alone...

did it work good for ?

I live by NILIF. I did read in your post that your dogs sleep in the same bed as you. If you have read up on NILIF you will see that you should not be letting your dogs do that. YOU are the ALFA by allowing your dogs sleep with you you are giving them mix messages. You also mention how one dog will be on the couch while the other in on the floor. Wrong move. All dogs in your household must be treated as equals in order to maintain an equal balance of peace and sanity. You might not think your playing favorites but you are. By allowing 1 dog on the sofa to look down to the other it is showing that this dog is above all the rest. Stryker even though he is smaller than the others should be treated the same as the others. On the floor. NILIF training doesn't work overnight. It takes months to years or maybe never to work on dogs. You must very cautious since 1 of your dogs outweights the other and cause serious harm. Yes NILIF work for my girls but you need use it every day. It is not something that you do today and forget tomorrow you see. It is an ongoing training it is a way of life. You eat, sleep and shit NILIF. You get what I'm saying. Any questions so far?

Guest Anonymous

all of hte dogs are allowed on the couch, Cody doesn't like it though, Zoey has her own couch that she lays on, and stryker lays on the back it. i didn't now that just becuase one of them didn't like it means they all are not allowed on the couch. as for the bed i will start kenneling Stryker becuase he sleeps on the bed no matter how many times you tell him off he is on the bed, so he will get kenneld for now on

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='xavierandrea']Dal, by reading your rely "no matter how many times you tell him off he is on the bed" this indicates to me that Stryker lacks basic commands.

DP> I'm wondering the same thing.

Dal do you also use hand signals with your dogs? My guys also know hands signals.[/quote]

Yes it is an on going battle with stryker and his commands i've been traniing him since i'ver brought him home, and went through obd. trainign with him at petsmart yet he still tests the boundries, although now doing the NILIF his commands are getting better..
all of the dogs know commands by Sign so that way When i sign to cody, they all know it means and they follow. that way no one is left out.

Let me ask a few questions because I need a little clarification. In the past you were having issues with Zoey right? She didn't listen was that correct? Is she now under control? ( Zoey is a "she" right? ) Are all your dogs "fixed"? The dog that you have previous to Syr why did you give that one up? I do not remember? How does Zozo act while the attacking is occuring? Does she back off or is she there in the middle? Do you made a big fuss and run to one dog verse the other?

[quote name='xavierandrea']Let me ask a few questions because I need a little clarification. In the past you were having issues with Zoey right? She didn't listen was that correct? Is she now under control? ( Zoey is a "she" right? ) Are all your dogs "fixed"? The dog that you have previous to Syr why did you give that one up? I do not remember? How does Zozo act while the attacking is occuring? Does she back off or is she there in the middle? Do you made a big fuss and run to one dog verse the other?[/quote]
Boonie was pts cuz of health problems. I remember reading the rainbow bridge thread :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Boonie was PTS becuase of his failing health, Zoey now listens to me now we went and did refresher obd with a trainer zoey is a she and all the animals are fixed, zoey was fixed at 12 weeks, Cody at 11 wks and stryker was done before i got him.
Zoey is normally laying down and as soon as she hears whats goign on she is right there in the middle of it. when it happens i run and pull cody and zoey off of stryker and seperate them, and check them all over for bites and blood, etc... does that help a little?

So you technically have 3 dogs fighting not just 2. Bottom line you need hard core NILIF. 2 big dogs against 1 little dog equals trouble. I do not want to offend you but hard core training now is a must. Otherwise you will not have peace in your home. You should also seek help with basic commands. It is clear that Stry is numb to commands and lacks obdience. The last thing you need is 3 uncontrollable dogs in your home no matter what size they are. Do you have crates for each dogs? If not you should invest in crates for all of them.

Guest Anonymous

yes all 3 of them have crates, and all of them get kenneld when i'm not home, i was going to put them up and not use them anymore, but looks like they will stay up. i'll get stryker back in to ob as ssoon as justin leaves. with him comming in next week its going to be hard becuase we have alot ofplans.. we are goign camping witht eh dogs etc and stuff. but as soon as he leaves i think will enroll them all in ob again. although cody has always had aggression problems but haven't shown in about a year... now all the sudden they are back..

You do understand that you are lacking "Pack" order in your home. Your dogs need to see you as the leader with that said I can not stress enough that it is important to practice and use NILIF everyday. There is no room for aggressive dogs in your household and the NILIF training will help you. Again this is not an overnight training as I stated before Eat, sleep and shit NILIF especially since you mentioned that Cody is showing signs of aggression. Crates is a good use of keeping calm in home.

:roll: Where is Court when I need you........ ( Hey Court did I miss anything. Court is my mentor. :wink: )

Guest Anonymous

i have started the nilif i started it alst night as soon as DO posted it.. and when justin gets home i will tell him what to be doing also.

[quote name='Horsefeathers!'][quote name='DeafAussieLover']and just now about 20 mins ago Styerk and cody were on the floor at my feet both sleeping, then all the sudden i hear stryker screaming an i look down to see cody attackin the h*** outta him for NO REASON [/quote]

DAL, it may not have been apparent to you, but there had to have been a reason in their little doggy minds. Perhaps they were staring each other down? Not really obviously to you, maybe, but THEY notice it.

I'm certainly no expert, but I'll tell you how we've handled conflicts in our household.

Taking it at face value, meaning I'm going to assume that Cody is not acting differently otherwise... no health issues, nothing else going on, I'm wondering if it's something that has started really small, maybe things you really didn't notice, and it's just escalated to this. That's what happened when my friend had Peaches. Peaches is the most docile, easy to get along with dog I've ever known. However, my friend created a monster with her. When her dogs would "compete" for attention, treats, whatever, she tried too hard to be fair, or her perception of it, and really overdid it. They began competing a little more violently and she tried even harder to coddle them down. Peaches became TOO competitive and began outright attacking one of my friend's other dogs for what would seem like no reason (but looking at the whole picture, in hindsight, I should have seen it coming... it wasn't "out of nowhere..." there had been signs). In my house, Peaches is a different dog. If I hadn't seen her do it at my friend's house, I'd almost swear that she is incapable of attacking another dog. She shares her bed, toys, space, they tromple her, and she just seems to laugh it off. I think we create our own monsters and my friend created one by coddling Peaches whenever she would compete for attention.

All that jibberish said, what we do in my house is simply not tolerate it. I know a lot of people believe in letting dogs sort out their problems, and I used to believe it, too, but not anymore. I've had too many near catastrophes. We stop it before it ever starts. We don't allow posturing, lip raising, growling, hackling up, [u]staring[/u], anything that could be perceived as threatening. It never has a chance to escalate to a physical confrontation. The times we've had dogs scuffle, we make it clear in absolutely no uncertain terms that we strongly disapprove and will not tolerate it. This may fly in the face of some of the more esteemed experts, but I just don't let them try to establish any sort of pack rank, anymore. I mean, it's always kind of there, but none of that posturing and reinforcing stuff. With ten dogs in the house, it's imperative that they all get along, and I call the "pack" shots in this house, not them. It's also important for me to know that I can bring home fosters without my dogs wanting to attack them. Since they know that animal aggression isn't tolerated, they don't even do more than sniff a new dog.

Now... with all THAT jibberish said, it's probably a good idea to keep Cody and Stryker separated except for when you are monitoring them as in eyes on them, at least for a cooling off period. I have a couple of dogs that absolutely cannot stand each other, so we put as much space between them when we aren't able to watch them as we can get. We don't allow them to scuffle and they know better, but I would never trust them implicitly. Sometimes there are just some dogs that have decided, for whatever reason, that they do not like another dog. My Schnauzer and my Lab... ugh! They love everyone else individually, but my Schnauzer HATES my Lab and never misses a chance to try to pick a fight with him. Of nine other dogs, the Lab is the ONLY dog he bothers.

Watch them closely. Intervene [b]before[/b] it turns into a violent confrontation. Stop any staring, posturing, growling or anything that could be threatening behavior. Just direct their attention elsewhere. I'm not quite crazy enough to believe we've got it all figured out and that we will NEVER have a fight break out... just that we really stay on top of it, and the dogs seem more content in knowing that they don't have to compete with each other.

Hopefully, someone with a little more insight will pop up. This is just what works for us. I tend to try not to over-analyze them and instead deal with the problem at hand rather than try to get into their little heads. I only dig as deep at the problem as I need to unless, of course, I suspect a health issue or some other underlying problem.

Good luck.[/quote]

HF has it DEAD ON. YOU are pack lead. YOU decide what they do, and stop it at the first sign of an altercation. Mine have bitch wars. they KNOW, as soon as they start, if I STOMP on the hardwood floors and yell ENOUGH they better damn well stop. if they dont, they BOTH get slapped upside the head and stared down. I have been called "mean" for this, but in all my years, none of my pets have ever hurt each other. they do what **I** say, and nothing less.

they dont fight when I'm not here. its an attention getting device, and I wont play their game.

[quote name='xavierandrea']So you technically have 3 dogs fighting not just 2. Bottom line you need hard core NILIF. 2 big dogs against 1 little dog equals trouble. I do not want to offend you but hard core training now is a must. Otherwise you will not have peace in your home. You should also seek help with basic commands. It is clear that Stry is numb to commands and lacks obdience. The last thing you need is 3 uncontrollable dogs in your home no matter what size they are. Do you have crates for each dogs? If not you should invest in crates for all of them.[/quote]

Did you stop the problems in your home by just using NILIF? Weren't the girls fighting and your little boy got in the way a couple of times? I am trying to remember. Do they not fight at all anymore? Someday I do plan on getting another dog and I want to make sure thing are well established with each family member so that I can prevent such problems. Although the way the two I have now get along it so peaceful I am kind of leary to rock the boat. It probably won't be for a couple of years anyway.