Dogomania

Help! Cody just attacked stryker

Guest Anonymous

Carin with the constant training thank goodness I have a handle on my situation. Yes my oldest was caught in the middle a few times. As you can see by my siggie my girls can now tolerate each other as long as [b][u][i]I'm[/i][/u][/b] in the room. I'm stressing I'm because I'm the alfa of the 2. I can see the tension when they are left alone when he is with them. So I have learned what causes the fights. I use NILIF every day. I call the shots. I run the PACK not them. I have learned alot through what Court said to me a year ago. As a matter of fact it was a year ago this month that all this can about. I remember as if it was yesterday. I do however have to rotate the girls when I'm not home between the front porch and or the outside kennel in order to not have conflicts since X in home before me. The reason is I can not and will not trust the girls alone with X while I'm not home. There has not been any fights since I've began the training and with paws crossed there will never be a fight ever.

I'm glad I could help. you now need to elevate X....above the dogs. he should take over NILIf...feeding, praising, the whole nine yards. he shoudl feed them, using NILIF (sit, lay down, whatever) they now need to see him as second-in-comand to you. in the beginning you need to stand there and "approve"...when they see your approval, they will accept X as the beta...and will learn to obey him, with your help. Kyle is secondary alpha, they wont cross him...

8)

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='JackieMaya']DAL, how are the kids getting along today?[/quote]

MUCH BETTER!!!!! they all must sit and wait while i open the door and wait until i tell them it's ok Zoey is being a pain with the sitting but when i look at her and tell her sit and cross my arms, she gets the point. Stryker tried to bolt out the door but i yelled at him to get back in the house and sit and stay until i said htey coudl all go outside.
i wait until they aren't paying attention to me and then i play with them. right now stryker is in his bed to the right of me snoozing and cody is to the left of me snoozing and zoey is rught unde rmy feet snoozing. so far so good.. i make them all sit and stay before anything..

one question for you guys though.. Stryker.. he will NOT sit still for hte life of me when i get his harness out he jumps and jumps and wiggles and runs and will not stay still to let me put it on him. i have to grab him and then hold him to put it on becuase he wont sit still. he will not stay in a sit/stay eaither.. what am i doign wrong?

DAL, when you let them outside, do you just open the door and let them all go out at once?

This is what I do with my kids. I get out Maya's citronella collar and she sits so I can put it on (because she knows she's supposed to sit). Pooh Bear sits right next to her because he saw her doing it-LOL. Then I put her harness on.

Then I let each dog out one at a time, closing the door between dogs. They each have to sit quietly, and then I give them a treat (which they have to take gently) and they WALK out the door. Maya goes out first. Then Pooh Bear moves up and sits. And after he goes out, then Jackie moves up and sits and then she goes out.

And they all have to sit and wait before I put their food in their bowls. And after they're done they have to come up to me and sit while we wait for slowpoke Jackie to finish.

It might take a little time for them to catch on (and for you to get used to doing it) to NILIF, but it definitely works!

Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

hmmi was letting them all out at the same time so that way they didn't think i was picking favorites or someone out ranked them dog wise.. but i go out the door first and then tell them to come and they all run outside . usually cody adn zoey are out the door at the same time and stryker takes his time comming out.. is this wrong?

They all have to sit and stay while i put the food down and have to wait to eat it until i say it's ok. COdy gets fed in the laudnry room cuse he IS food aggressive with other dogs, but not humans.. Stryker gets feed by the laudnry room door and azoey is fed by the water dish.. they get along fine and go and check out each others bowls to make sure there is not food left, but Zoey's bowl is so big that stryker steps in it and walks in circles licking it..

I got in the habit of giving my kids a treat before they go outside. That way they're not going to run out the door because they know they'll get a treat if they sit and stay.

I think it would help with raising you up in the pack if you taught them to go out one at a time. Maybe you could switch their order so the same one isn't always going out first. I almost always keep the same order, but sometimes I'll let Pooh Bear go out first. Jackie always wants to be the last one in with me.

[quote name='xavierandrea']Carin with the constant training thank goodness I have a handle on my situation. Yes my oldest was caught in the middle a few times. As you can see by my siggie my girls can now tolerate each other as long as [b][u][i]I'm[/i][/u][/b] in the room. I'm stressing I'm because I'm the alfa of the 2. I can see the tension when they are left alone when he is with them. So I have learned what causes the fights. I use NILIF every day. I call the shots. I run the PACK not them. I have learned alot through what Court said to me a year ago. As a matter of fact it was a year ago this month that all this can about. I remember as if it was yesterday. I do however have to rotate the girls when I'm not home between the front porch and or the outside kennel in order to not have conflicts since X in home before me. The reason is I can not and will not trust the girls alone with X while I'm not home. There has not been any fights since I've began the training and with paws crossed there will never be a fight ever.[/quote]

My God was that a year ago. Time does fly. The reason I asked is because of what happened with my cairn, Toto. I used NILIF on him for years after he showed some food aggression when he was 10 months old and it worked wonderfully for about 4 1/2 years but then he really started losing his sight due to Progressive Retinal Atrophy which happens to a lot of terriers. Not being able to see caused him to jump at all sounds and attack the sound. Well he started to chase and try to attack my 10 year old niece when she made noises.At first I thought it was my fault that if I had trained him better hen't would be reacting this way. But I talked to someone on Petfinder Mom2dogs who said it was their instinctive reactive behavior that made it difficult for a lot them to live peacefully with sight loss because they are terrified. So we had to put him to sleep at the age of 5.

But even though she told me that I still have some guilt in the back of my head that says that maybe if I had gone to one more behaviorist or trainer they might have found a way for me to calm him down. But I guess it really wasn't an NILIF problem since he had done so well before the eyesight loss. I always hear people talking about their sweet dogs that have gone blind and wish that I could have made him understand that I would take care of him and he didn't have to worry.

hey Dal! Strker is proving to be a problem child, so in his case demotion below the other dog may be necessary as well. if he wont sit still outside for his leash/harness...make him sit INSIDE (NILIF) and then harness him, then treat him. baby steps. he needs to know who's boss...

8)

Guest Anonymous

Hey Court-

When it's time for his harness it is done inside.. but he still freaks out and tries to run away, it's not a bad freak out, its like he is super excited so i'm just waiting until he calms down then give him a treat and then harness.. i also am working on tehe submissive peein' he's picked up in the last 2 weeks

in this stage submissive peeing is not unusual. he got above himself, you took over, and now he is "apologizing" for every mistake. dont yell, just clean it up, and then find something you and him like and do it. reward him when done, but take the toy away and put it up. you are saying "I accept your place now, but I still run this show.." this will increase his confidence, (so the peeing stops) but also let him know that you are still in charge.

PM me if you need help. I can try to develop a plan specific to him if necessary...

luv ya DAL. hang in there ok?

8)

Guest Anonymous

Thanks court your the best!!! I'll send you a pm becuase i really think it's him causing the trouble in the house... little dog BIG ATTITUDE!