Dogomania

Good apartment dog for me?

Guest Anonymous

Is a beagle a good apartment dog?  

1. 1. Is a beagle a good apartment dog?

Guest Anonymous

So I want to get a dog, but I live in an apartment complex and I work daily. I've taken a few of these online quizzes about what dogs to get, but I frankly don't like the ones recommended. Toy dogs, spaniels and terriers are almost totally out of the question. I like beagles alot, but some people say that they aren't so good for an apt. I want a sturdy, intelligent dog, not one that trembles at dust bunnies but yips constantly at passing strangers. I definitely will be willing to excercise the dog daily and groom weekly. I'm a guy, I want a good "guy" type of dog. Any suggestions?

beagles are hounds, and hounds like to vocalize. think of the consequences that may have when you are at work most of the day and the dog is unhappy. a few episodes and your landlord might knock and tell you that the dog has to go or you'll both be on the street. there is no telling in advance how hard or easy it will be to train the little guy to stay home alone

if i were you, i'd talk to a few reputable breeders and see what they have to say ont he topic. and by reputable i mean folks who care about their breed and wouldn't lie to you just to sell you a puppy. alternatively, think about adopting an adult dog who is known to be able to cope.

whether a small dog is trembling and yippy depends on the way you socialize and train it. if you treat it like a china doll, shield it from the world and don't give it any chance to be a dog and interact with the environment, it's no wonder those poor things get neurotic and yappy. the outcome is on [b]your[/b] shoulders.

i don't know what all the talk of "guy" type of dogs is all about (i hear it often), but do yourself a favor, be fair and don't pick a breed based on looks. get a dog that suits your lifestyle. if you are away from home 8+ hours a day and the dog will be home alone, don't get a high-drive dog who has been bred to work long and hard hours. they'll go stir crazy.

here are a few breeds i can recommend for living in an apartment, from experience with their personalities and requirements:

american eskimo dog, pomeranian, boston terrier, pug, dachshund, west highland terrier, corgi, italian greyhound, miniature and standard schnauzer. there are a few others.

have you considered adopting a mixed breed from a rescue or shelter? ou could also rescue a retired racing greyhound. they are beautiful dogs who due to their rearing are already used to spending much of the day kenneled, and they do not need as much exercise as you'd expect from an ex-racer. :)

I agree with TDG, a beagle is not a good apartment dog. I work at a boarding kennel and I always hear a list of complaints from my beagle owners the owners complain about the dogs digging, barking and howling and annoying neighbors, plus when they get a scent they are gone...
I listen to their howling and barking the whole stay at the kennel :-? we have a couple of beagles which are wonderful...but, the chances of this happening are not good. A freind of mine lives beside a home which breeds hunting beagles...she is trying to sell her home as the dogs howling and barking is driving her insane.

As for TDG's list, I'm sorry TDG :wink: but there are a couple of breeds on your list I think would make horrible apartment dogs...for one; the American Eskimo dog, I have so many of these little dogs come in for boarding and grooming, their bark is high pitched and very annoying...they are very yappy dogs and I don't think I have met a quiet one yet :lol: they can also be very snappy and dominant being a spitz breed. I give this information based only on my hands on experience (we have alot of these dogs come in for boarding and grooming), they are also high energy. After a day of having to deal with American eskimo dogs at the boarding kennel or at the grooming shop I have to take a few aspirins to ease my aching head..their barks are so sharp and peircing my ears ache for days after ward.
Pomeranian's, at least the 50 or more of them I deal with each week I find are also yappy little dogs.
The rest of TDG's list is great, I like whippets and Italian greyhounds and even at the Vet clinic and boarding facility I find them to be very quiet low key dogs.
I have also heard from a few clients who have rescued racing greyhounds that they are also very good apartment dogs. They require a few good runs a day, but, since they are sprinters they are content to be couch potatoes for the remainder of the day.

I also agree with TDG, that you can find the perfect match in an older rescue dog at your local shelter. :wink:

One of the main requirements for an apartment dog is that they need to be quiet. You could end up with a quiet Beagle, but there is a good chance you may not. I would look for a breed that is more likely to not bark excessively. A Greyhound would be a good choice.

Agree with Cassie - many dogs on that list are NOT good apartment dogs.

West Highland terriers (and most terriers) and American Eskies can be very barky, and need a great deal of exercise.

Beagles like to bay and bark. My neighbour has two, and those dogs think their names are "Shut Up" and "Be Quiet". :lol:

Boston Terriers would probably be a good choice, and yeah - sighhounds (whippets and greyhounds) are usually very nice and quiet housedogs!:)

Many people never consider a large dog like a greyhound for an apartment, but they are usually couch potatoes in the home, and really don't need massive amounts of exericise.

The two beagles I've known have seemed alot like "country dogs", I think they would not be happy being cooped up inside all day. And like the others say, they do make nosie! :lol:

The location of the appartment is important, I don't consider an apartment in the city to be the same as an appartment close to the country. For example, I live in an appartment, but its right across the street from a woods, stream and fields where I can let my dog run free every day. If I lived in the city, whithout access to those places for him to run, I probably wouldn't have a flatcoated retriever since they need lots of excersize. In some cases I think living in an appartment near the countryside can be better than living in a house with a yard in the middle of a big city. :)

In addition to physical excersize, there is the thinking part. How much time are you going to be spending on training and stuff to get the dog's mind tired? Maybe if the dog would get alot of both physical and mental stimulation it would be able to be live in an apartment without much trouble...? :-?

A border terrier used to live across the hall from me, she was a wonderful dog who didn't bark much except for when she was a puppy and her people left. I've met a few other border terriers too, all of which have been nice dogs that weren't yappy or overly sensitive. Maybe thats a breed to consider? :)

I have an American Eskimo in an apartment.. I can not train this dog NOT to bark, lol. She likes running at people, but will not get to close at the same time. If the person tries to approach her, she runs away and starts the process all over again. She barks at people for at least 10 minutes. When she stops, she's all over the person wanting pets and hugs. I just do not understand this girl. She's the same with dogs! Bark bark, chase, run, ignore.

Beagles CAN be good apartment dogs, but I would NOT get a puppy. As mentioned, they do bay, the sound of which annoys people more than the average bark of a dog. But an older one, settled down, could work out. It would depend on the individual dog. I have a foxhound, and yes, she bays, but she is older (6) and only does it when someone comes to the door or she gets startled. It's an iffy proposition though, because you wont know until after you've brought him home. A retired greyhound is a good idea. They tend to be quiet. you have to consider your neighbors in any apartment with a dog.

[quote]I have an American Eskimo in an apartment.. I can not train this dog NOT to bark, lol. She likes running at people, but will not get to close at the same time. If the person tries to approach her, she runs away and starts the process all over again[/quote]

Is this behavior a breed trait? I ask because someone near me has one, and he always does EXACTLY this when he gets loose - running at us from behind, barking, and as soon as we turn around, he runs off then starts up again.

And the barking is of the type that goes in your ears, around your skull and out your eyes! :lol: :lol:

Corgis are herding dogs. They are full of energy and, if they don't have an outlet for that energy, they can become barkers or practice other destructive behavior. They also are double coated and shed A LOT!!!! (says the Chief Vacuum Operator)

So i'd take them off that list if I were you. As far as beagles, I have never owned one but I know some that are apartment dogs, and they seem fine. I'll defer to the experts though. :D Good luck!

I think the question is not so much what dog is best for living in an apartment but more how willing are you to make the living arrangement work.

All dogs need daily exercise and mental stimulation regardless of breed and regardless of whether they live in a house or an apartment; however I do believe that dogs that live in an apartment require that little bit more. If you are prepared to do whatever is necessary to make you dog happy and content then the breed doesn’t matter as much.

I dont think a beagle pup would be a good choice. I think out of all the dogs that everyone has suggested that a rescued grayhound woud be a great idea. With you being at work and potty training needing to be done an adult dog may be a better idea. Ive know several people that have adopted a retired raceing grayhoud and they have been great! Mostly couch potatos with a few runs, very mellow and they usually just need a "refresher" course when you get them home on how their rutine should be :lol: My neighbors in Ga had Bostons and they were great dogs. I would watch them when they would go out of town and they were good, well mostly, their youngest had an issue with teething and chewed alot of things up so i got them to kennel train him. Lori wasnt very happy with doing that till she saw how happy the pup was with it. :lol: He didnt chew while they were gone and just settled in and slept till they got home or if they were gone till i came over and let him out to play and do his biz... :wink:
best of luck with your new pet. :lol:

Love Bostons!! They make great house dogs because they are rather intolerant of a lot of heat or cold so don't need huge amounts of outdoor exercise. Greyhounds are also intolerant of extreme temperatures and are couch potatoes, but do need a good run once or twice a week in a safe area.

I think either of those would be an excellent choice. And that's the Tall and the Short of it. :lol:

[quote name='pLaurent']Love Bostons!! They make great house dogs because they are rather intolerant of a lot of heat or cold so don't need huge amounts of outdoor exercise. Greyhounds are also intolerant of extreme temperatures and are couch potatoes, but do need a good run once or twice a week in a safe area.

I think either of those would be an excellent choice. And that's the Tall and the Short of it. :lol:[/quote]

Also, for those exact same reasons, Boxers don't make bad apartment dogs either...most don't enjoy spending great amounts of time outdoors in the extremes...especially without their human companions...Boxers are notorious velcro dogs :roll: . They also aren't reknowned for barking without good reason.
My male doesn't bark at ALL.He did excellent in an apartment before I got my house...he is a big couch potato.Of course you have to be commited to frequent potty walks, and a good vigorous 20 minute exercise session a day, but I think that holds true for a lot of breeds.
Good luck with your search, and keep us posted! :D

Junior772 - So what do you think of the suggestions so far? How much excercise can you give the dog you'll get? Do you have any sort of activities you'd prefer to do with your prospective pooch? I'm just guessing that you might not be interested in tons of grooming?

I like the idea of a retired greyhound, whippets and italian greyhounds would be good as well but if he's looking for a "guy dog" the IT might be a bit on the delicate looking side. Border Terrier is a very "guy" little dog but require a fair bit of mental and physical excersize. I have no experience with Bostons but they are pretty "guy" looking for a little dog. Depending on appartement size you could probably get a bigger dog as well. Some bigger dogs are way more sedate and content to lounge on the couch then energetic little dogs. One survey I saw indicated that one of the best apartment dogs for a working person was . . . a bermese mountain dog. Not sure how true that is but it was interesting.

We could list dogs we thought were definately out for appartments?
I would suggest not getting:

Weimerainer (sp?)
Beagle
Hounds in general
Most herding breeds would be out as well except in special circumstances.