Dogomania

DOES NO ONE LISTEN TO ME ANYMORE?!?!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ARRRRRRRG! HOW MIND DRIVNG MADISH SORTA DEALY... :niedowiarek:
That's it! We're getting Coal a pen!! The past few weeks we've been suspisous of him leaving the property, but have never been able to truly catch him in the act. Maybe twice just on the road, but had never heard of him wandering farther. STILL, just on the road was enough to get me up in a fit to get him a pen. Problem is, we have to wait until the ground unthaws and we lose all this snow before we can put one in, PLUS money wise isn't so great at the mo'.
SO, since it was so cold out, We left Coal in the house this morning. Dad came home at lunch and let him out for a pee, then let him back in. I get off the bus and who comes running towards me? Duke, ears flailed to eaither side, tail swoshing in a circular motion, and his tongue lolling out to the side as he comes barling towards me with the biggest grin on his face.
Now, usually when Duke meets me at the bus, I pet him and play with him, then take him home, and he always stays at the end of his driveway and I drop him off there nad go home. Well, it's BLOODY COLD OUT right now. And if I'm in the cold like this for too long then it does a number on my lungs. So instead of taking him home I decided to just tell him to stay out of my yard. It worked, until I got inside. I called Lexie's house but there was no answer. Came online and asked Jared if she'd been online and he said no, so I asumed no one was home. I look outside and sure enough, little Duke sitting in the middle of our driveway staring off into spcae. Meanwhile, Poor Coal is crossin his legs! So I told Coal to stay inside just a bit longer, grabbed the leash (although I probably didn't need it, Duke listens to me when I call him really well, but I didn't want to take my chances and spend any longer out there then needed) and went outside. Poor Coal, you can imagine how he felt when I grabbed the leash and left WITHOUT HIM!!! :eek:
I brought Duke home, tied him up, and hurried home. It was SOOO cold, I could barely [i]breath[/i] when I got home!! So then I let Coal out and told him "STAY HOME COAL' which he KNOWS.
So, I go upstairs to make some hot chocolate and what happens? I get a phone call from LEXIE (who APPARENTLY doesn't answer her phone anymore just so I can freeze my...) and she says "Yeah, Coal's in our yard" so by then my patients has run low. So I told her to tell me if he starts running and called him (well... eh hem, was more of a scream "COAL! GET YOUR BUTT HOME [b][size=6]NOW[/size][/b]!") she said he'd left so we hung up the phone. I called a few more times and then he came RUNNING inside, the cheakiest grin on his face I swear! I didn't want to yell at him because we all know, never yell at a dog when it comes to you :wink: but OH I sure felt like it. So I told him "Coal, you have to STAY HOME" and brought him downstairs and gave him a bone and now he's off somewhere else in the house.
But OOOH so frustrating!!! :evil: :evil: :drinking:

Guest Anonymous

:roll: :roll: I should have explained myself better. I TRAINED Coal to stay home, did boundry training, and reinforce it frequently, he didn't start leaving the yard until we started letting him play with Duke more :evil: I never expected him to just KNOW that when I say "stay home" it means to stay home, I'm not that stupid :roll:

[quote name='HazelNutMeg']:roll: :roll: I should have explained myself better. I TRAINED Coal to stay home, did boundry training, and reinforce it frequently, he didn't start leaving the yard until we started letting him play with Duke more :evil: I never expected him to just KNOW that when I say "stay home" it means to stay home, I'm not that stupid :roll:[/quote]

Still Shara , Coal IS still a puppy and a teenager at that. Most older dogs don't usually "hold" onto commands like that, much less a gangly adolecent pup.

uh oh.. :( i feel like a bad owner now..my dogs are outdoor dogs..always have been...around here (Canada), its different than in other places in the world, including other places in Canada..my town..some ppl call it the "hick town" its all farmers and stuff..so my dogs are obviously otutdoor farm dogs..does this mean that i dont do everything i can to love them and treat them like every other dog? no, i do everything like other puppy owners..does this mean that Holz and Boomie are never inside? nope, i love bringing them inside :D but does this mean that the majority of the time my dogs are outside? yeah it does :wink: theyre farm dogs... they have 100 acres to run..and they love it...i know, that they would never like to live in a town/city..i know they love it and couldnt fit in anywhere else...u know?
sorry if this is REALLY off topic..but reading this i felt..i duno..the word..? lol

sry if it sounds like im fighting with MYSELF (lol :roll: ) i guess i just dont want anyone to get the impression that im a bad dog owner :(

[quote]I don't think it's Duke's fault.[/quote]
i agree :fadein:

A farm is a lot different in my opinion than a regular house with a pretty limited size yard. It's a lot different to let your dog run unsupervised on a farm where there is plenty of room and no roads close by, than to let them run in a suburban area where there are other dogs, other people, other cars, etc...

I think you're a fine dog owner HolzBoomer!

Courtnek - I hope to move into a home in the next 4 1/2 years. I have the same concern about doggy doors as you but I'm hoping to do a little home renovation to deal with it. I want to find a place that has a main floor room with a door, preferably an entranceway or main floor laundry or sunroom. Then I will put the doggy door off this room and put an "outside door" with deadbolt between this door and the rest of the house. Otherwise I was thinking of building a huge dog run with a chain link top - may have to do this anyway because of the cats. Either way the dogs can go in and out but people can't access most of the house through the doggy door.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='kendalyn']A farm is a lot different in my opinion than a regular house with a pretty limited size yard. It's a lot different to let your dog run unsupervised on a farm where there is plenty of room and no roads close by, than to let them run in a suburban area where there are other dogs, other people, other cars, etc...

I think you're a fine dog owner HolzBoomer![/quote]

OKay... I swore to myself I'd stay out of this from now on because it turned into something I didn't want to talk about, because I KNOW I'll get heated. Believe me or not, I HATE with a passion we don't have a fence. And my dad PROMISED me that we'd get a fence for the new dog even BEFORE we got Coal, but have we? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I had to boundary train him, and that worked up until Duke came around. All other temtations he has stayed in the yard. I ask Dad now if we can put one up in the spring, and he tells me it's too expensive :cry:
But it's not exactlly like I live on a busy highway!! I may not have a Fair sized Farm, but we do have 5 acres, and do live in a rather remote area.
But yeah, whatever... I'm tired of arguing with people about this, cuz it's not exactlly something I'm proud of, and I've tried everything I can in MY power, and still I feel people look down on me because OOOOH, my dog has been caught in someone else's property ONCE. Sorry if I sound rude, but I'm rather cranky at the mo' and am sick of people getting on my case about something I can't even prevent.

Quote: Sorry if I sound rude, but I'm rather cranky at the mo' and am sick of people getting on my case about something I can't even prevent.

Well, I too told myself I would stay out but.....
YOU ARE QUITE CAPABLE OF PREVENTING COAL FROM LEAVING YOUR PROPERTY. IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO, FINE, THAT IS YOUR BUSINESS.
If Coal is in no DANGER visiting the neighbor, don't stress about it.
HOWEVER, once a dog KNOWS he/she can leave the property at will and visit, they will do it again and again, venturing farther and farther away.
What I did not understand from your original post, do Duke and Coal get along with each other? If they do not, ignore the next line.
If they do, why would you leave Coal in the house with 'his legs crossed' while you took Duke home?

Guest Anonymous

Because he's most likely going to try and follow Duke, and I can't handle both dogs at once by myself so why go through all that hassel???

Lexie, I'm not even guna get started. I talked to you on MSN about it, and you know how I feel. I did say it's not 100% his fault, but he's not helping the problem either!

I didn't mean to imply that you are a bad dog owner, but I can see how it could have come off seeming like that. I don't think a fence is a necessity for being a responsible dog owner. Buck stays in the yard very well, but I never leave him out there without both of my eyes on him. I never will and he's 2. Coal is still very young and tempted by Duke, so if you don't want him leaving the yard, then just make sure you are watching all the time. Problem solved!

Guest Anonymous

See, I can't do that because I'm not always home, I have school... so mom would have to watch him, and I KNOW she wont :evil: [size=1]When it comes to my dog, I seriously hate my parents [/size]
All the time when I try to train him something, like crate training, teaching him to smarten up when he gets snarky and dominering, ect. ect. ect. then my parents have something to say about it that makes me look liek the bad guy! They spoil him ROTTEN, and have turned him into this spoiled little bratt, and I'm the ONLY one who lays down some rules for him!!! :evil: :evil: Arg, I could go on and on, but it will only frustrate me more :-?

Maybe you should try a harness and long cable, like I do with Maya when I have her outside. I have her on a 40-foot cable attached to her harness. She can still use almost the whole yard, and can play and run and wrestle with Jackie (as you can see from the picture), but she can't get to the fence. It works out just great.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwDbAq8YYfSdQwmWD!oqYjDH5T4*SLIvf9FHqT7ZEL9FUNXZUqmjNrV6rWWfiLhgHaL*wrB!v9nYSuSEE92Ax52kDmHgWxFsTJwAAs*MfzwJTCYhyknvqBJmOvuQVMgh/DCP_0016.JPG?dc=4675455616239217438[/img]
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwDbAqsYOPOdQwmWD!oqYsjUCxEpAt32D4U8qPe02Sg9c7TN7AAMxKdsZQ3*BdqEb9J4igu5qcqWhZ4kA41w*IGbGu1a5RfOatGXNXVQJcqbduhpx1H8Y4nOccfhleIU/DCP_0003.JPG?dc=4675457678573855077[/img]

Shara, if you cant get a fence that's ok... there are tie-outs available at most pet stores, at little cost compared to a fence. you attach a bolt to the house and to an outside structure like a fence, or a shed, just not a tree or pole they can wrap themselves around. It comes with a snap-on lead. You attach the lead to a line (at leat 4 or 5 feet above the ground) and the lead should be at least 6 feet...10 is actually better. Attach one end close to the house to the back yard. All you have to do is open the door, attach the snap-on lead and let the dog run and do its bit. The line should be strong wire, and so should the lead. The dog can then run and move somewhat side to side, investigate and play without ever leaving the yard. It's not an all day tie-out - with no fence other dogs can get in - but it works well for potty and play. Continue to train coal in boundaries,
but use this as well. It's actually easier to train boundaries this way...

Guest Anonymous

Well, I'll talk to my dad about it... we're goin to PG this Saturday so YAY! I miss pet stores :cry: Going there to look for an AmStaff book and get Coal a new (or two :lol: ) clicker, so will look for a tie out as well...

The thing about tying up is I STRONGLY disagree because of what we went through with Hazel. All we had was a chain and a doghouse, and she ABSOLUTLY wasn't allowed inside for quite some time until I worked REALLY hard to get her inside, train her and all that jazz and had great results, which is why my parents agreed Coal would be basiclly an indoor dog, only out for potty and play.
My neighbor's (Duke_3) has a run like that for Duke, and I still don't like to think of a dog being tied up, I prefer that over the chain and doghouse ANY day! I actually came home from school one day to find Coal (still a WITTLE puppy) at the end of Hazel's old Chain! :o OH I WAS MAD I can tell you, I STORMED inside screaming and hollaring at my mom (after unting him) and emidatly went out, took off the chain, and tied it to the roof of my fort in a fassion I don't think I can even get it off... plus, it's so much work I think my 'rents would rather BUY another chain :roll: then "break into" (you lift up a part of screen, reach through and unlock the door :lol: ) my fort, get a chiar, and untie the chain... and they know if they did, I'd do the same if not worse with that one, and the next, and every otehr one they tried to buy, it's just not worth it for them :wink:

But a run like that just for potty breaks I'm not so opposed to... so I will talk to my dad about it tomorrow night when I see him.

I brought up tonight about him wandering, and how far Lexie has seen him go, and how far I've seen him go (which is basiclly the length of the boundry line I've taught him, only problem he's stepped OVER the line :roll: ) and my dad hollard that there's NO WAY we're getting another fence :-? He claimed WAY too much money for the dog to just distroy it! See, past dogs and fences we've had... Hazel was a hudini and got through it in a flash, and VERY tricky way, and (I was too little to remember) my mom's Newfy which chewed everything in sight and I guess through every fence they put up too :-? I wish we lived in our old house! A much better constructed pen there which was actually originally built for a HORSE, so it's really big, only I think one side of it that would need to be fixed up so a dog can't get through, the rest was chain link fence my dad put in... but unfortantly, we don't live there anymore :-? I would kill for a good pen that size though!!

[quote name='Duke_3']Its.....Not.....Duke's......Fault[/quote]
Of course not. He's a dog, dogs will wander if left outside, not contained, and not supervised. It [b]IS[/b] Duke's owners' fault that he wanders into other peoples' yards and causes trouble (not serious trouble, but at the same time, trouble that he wouldn't be causing if he were kept at home).

Shara, I can understand being frustrated by Duke coming over and stirring Coal up, but at the same time, you're aware of the problem, and it's up to you to do something to keep Coal out of trouble. The turning point is here... do you place blame and make excuses for Coal wandering, or do you DO something about it to keep him from doing it anymore. You can't control other people lettign their dogs roam, but you CAN control your own, and that becomes even more important when others don't take responsibility for their own dogs, because it tosses in another variable that you have to be sure to keep from getting your dog into trouble.

It's possible to make a tieout that will allow him to cover a huge space, using the method courtnek suggested, only with a longer lead. That IMO is better than being put into situations where he is bound to fail (being loose and having Duke come over), and possibly end up hurt or worse. You don't even have to go to a petstore to get one, most hardware stores carry cable, just buy two lengths of that (one for the line, one for the lead) and a couple snaps and you're set. It won't hurt him to be on a cable for a bit out of the day when you're not home to watch him and your parents want him out, much better than the possible consequences of him wandering.