Dogomania

ugh...

gooeydog

It looks like this hurricane (Isabel) is heading towards us (in MD, a bit south of Baltimore City), and officials are already talking about possible evacuations. We're going to try to stick around home, but since we're on a peninsula, with water within a mile on all 3 sides (water on two sides of our backyard; about four houses down, at the end of our block, more water; then on the other side of our block, more water), if we get too much rain or the wind pushes the water in, we'll be in trouble. Anyone ever had to leave home for something like this? Keep in mind that we'd have 5 dogs (one of whom doesn't get along with 3 of the others), a cat (who doesn't get along with forementioned dog), and two lizards, and possibly my aunt's 4 cats and bird (she works in DC, and they'll only let her stay off if the storm hits before she's due into work, so if she gets stuck there, we're in charge of her pets). We have a van (not really a "hauling things" type van though, more for carrying people, the seats don't even come out) and a truck, as well as various crates and carriers (which we're sorting through tomorrow). What should we bring? So far we're planning for food, water, Haley's meds, blankets/bedding, leashes (with a few extras), and everyone will have collars on (everyone but Goo also has a name tag). We've also got vaccs records, and I'm going to get together some recent pics of each, too.

Next question... any suggestions for pet friendly hotels? I know motel 6 accepts pets, but their policy says "1 well behaved pet per room", anyone know if it's usually enforced? We do have family that would let us stay with them, but most are either 5+ hrs away, or on the east coast in the predicted path of the storm anyway.

I'm still hoping that all this won't even be necessary, and the worst will miss us, but I'd rather know that everything's in order anyway, just in case.

Oh Gooey, you and I are in the same boat. They are talking about how bad it is going to be here in Annapolis. :( I've already got water, batteries, flashlights, extra dog and cat food and a few other things for them. I know there are a few pet friendly hotels, but they usually only allow small dogs. Honey is pretty small, and they usually won't let her in. :o I think we are going to find family to stay with.....hopefully it will turn and miss us. Keeping fingers and paws crossed.........

If worse comes to [size=6][b]worse[/b][/size] get a good tent or three, a 5 gallon water bottle, a camp stove, some sleeping bags and air mats, a cooler and ice, your crates and some solid tie outs, lots of poopy bags, and head WELL out of the path of the storm and camp somewhere. Most provincial parks here allow dogs, I assume state parks would be the same. Most parks here are not too busy in this season and also have a line to Environment Canada for severe weather warnings and have evacuation locations, again I assume its the same there, if you go far enough out of the storm path it should not be an issue but you'll probably still get wind and rain so as I said get a good tent or three and maybe a deck of cards. I would see if you can find a hotel though.

Guest Anonymous

Make plans to evacuate your pets
Sept. 16, 2003 4:22 p.m. ET

By Steve Stone
The Virginian-Pilot

Time was, people were urged to leave enough food and water for their pets and then evacuate if they lived in flood-prone areas. Now humane agencies are urging that people build their emergency plans with Fido and Fluffy in mind, and that means not relying on public shelters.

The Humane Society of the United States, the nation's largest animal protection organization, urges pet owners to make arrangements to evacuate their animals.

"In the event of a disaster and if you must evacuate, the most important thing you can do to protect your pets is to evacuate them, too," a Humane Society spokesman said. "Leaving pets behind, even if you try to create a safe place for them, is likely to result in their being injured, lost or worse. Pets cannot survive on their own."

It is especially important to remember that pets are generally prohibited from public shelters for health reasons, and many hotels and motels where evacuees may go also might prohibit animals.

"Call ahead to motels and hotels in safe areas to find out if they will allow you to bring your pets," the Humane Society spokesman said. "Work with the hotel manger to get 'no pets' policies temporarily lifted."

Other options include friends, relatives, or others outside the affected area. If you have more than one pet, they may be more comfortable if kept together, but be prepared to house them separately.

Prepare a list of boarding facilities and veterinarians who could shelter animals in an emergency. Ask local animal shelters if they provide emergency shelter or foster care for pets in a disaster. Such shelters may be overburdened caring for the animals they already have as well as those displaced by a disaster, however, so this should be your last resort.

If you may not be home when an evacuation order comes, find out if a trusted neighbor would be willing to take charge of your pets.

This person should be comfortable with your pets, know where your animals are likely to be, know where your pet disaster supplies kit is kept and have a key to your home. If you use a petsitting service, they may be available to help, but discuss the possibility well in advance.

Among the society's recommendations:

Securely fasten an up-to-date identification tag on your pet's collar. If possible, also include the address and/or telephone number of the site you will be evacuating to.

Carry a photo of your pet with you for identification purposes.

Make sure you have a secure pet carrier, leash or harness for your pets so they won't escape.

If you and your pet can't stay together after you evacuate, send medicine, medical records, food, feeding information and other supplies with your pet.

Be sure to pack a week's worth of food and water for both you and your pet, whether evacuating or staying at home during an emergency. If you have a cat, you'll need litter and a litter pan. Also remember to have a manual can opener, food dishes and any medication your pet might need.

Don't wait until the last minute to evacuate if you have animals. Once the disaster is imminent, if the only way out is by official rescue transport, emergency officials may not allow you to take your pets when they bring you out.

Keep a list of emergency phone numbers (veterinarian, animal control, Red Cross, etc.) accessible.

The Humane Society offers a brochure, "Pets and Disasters: Get Prepared," which can be obtained free by sending a business-sized, self-addressed, stamped envelope, to: Humane Society, 2100 L St. N.W. Washington, D.C. 20037

Some special consideration for pets other than cats and dogs:

Birds should be transported in a secure travel cage or carrier. In cold weather, wrap a blanket over the carrier and warm up the car before placing birds inside. During warm weather, carry a plant mister to mist the birds' feathers periodically. Do not put water inside the carrier during transport.

Provide a few slices of fresh fruit and vegetables with high water content. Have a photo for identification and leg bands.

If the carrier does not have a perch, line it with paper towels and change them frequently. Try to keep the carrier in a quiet area. Do not let the birds out of the cage or carrier.

Lizards can be transported using the same directions as for birds.

Snakes can be transported in a pillow case but they must be transferred to more secure housing when they reach the evacuation site. If your snakes require frequent feeding, carry food with you. Take a water bowl large enough for soaking as well as a heating pad.

Small mammals, such as hamsters and gerbils, should be transported in secure carriers suitable for maintaining the animals while sheltered. Take bedding materials, food bowls and water bottles.

Goo, if they start talking evacuation and you live in such an area virtually surrounded by water, I think you'd better scoot. I live in an area not too far off the Gulf Of Mexico and we get our share of bad weather from tropical storms and hurricanes. Mostly tornadoes and high wind here, but we aren't in a flood area. We did have to evacuate once several years ago when a hurricane stalled out and caused the Flint River to flood. Our entire neighborhood was under water and all I could do was watch on the news. I couldn't even get to my house. It's really scary stuff. Fortunately, we had no animals at the time, so it was only us that had to evacuate (one of those spooky movie scenes where the officials were riding through neighborhoods with bullhorms screaming to get out).

Our contingency plan with all our animals is to have them boarded with our vet (very secure brick building and further inland than where I actually live and about as good a plan as I can have with so many animals) if we ever have to evacuate. Of course, it really takes some planning, so our plan is to board them at even the suggestion of evacuation (within a couple of days of a storm coming ashore). The worst that could happen if nothing comes of it is that we have to pay a boarding fee, but with so many critters, we just can't risk waiting until we are in actual emergency status. I don't know if boarding your critters somewhere a little further inland is an option for you to consider. It also eliminates the worry of finding pet friendly places to stay, or even if you do, there's no telling how many other pet owners may beat you to them.

Good luck to you folks who are in the path of this thing. We will likely be missed by the worst of it, but we always get the bands of weather from them that spawn off tornadoes. I am extremely afraid of tornadoes. :-?

I live basically in tornado alley, and there is no "early warning" availabe for evacuation or shelter. I think the idea of boarding your pets is a good one. A lot of kennels will allow them to room together so they dont feel lonely or afraid. The kennel should be well inland, and you'll probably have to make reservations, but at least you know they'll be safe....

My prayers are with all of you on the east coast, in Isabel's path....

Be safe!

:angel:

Well, we decided to stick around, since the storm took a slightly more western course than originally planned. So far today, it's just been some gusty wind (20-30 MPH constant, with 40-50 MPH gusts, though it's getting a bit stronger now), and rain. The water is creeping up into the yard though. High tide is in another 2 1/2 hrs, and 20 mins ago the water was halfway up to my grandparents house (behind ours). At 8:00pm, it was about 2 ft below our baulkhead(sp?), and at 10, it was just over it, so it's rising at at least a foot an hr. Actually, my mom just checked the water again, and it's come another 15-20 ft further into the yard (it's 11:48 pm now) :o Looks like Goo's "granmudder" and "granfadder" might be coming to visit :wink: :-? I took some pics when we were out earlier, but it was dark, so I'm not sure how well they'll turn out.

Forgot to mention a little incident we had yesterday, indirectly related to the storm... I was sent out to take pics of various things (mostly the bazillion boats scattered around our yard, only a few of which belong to us) in case we needed them for insurance, so Goo and I set out on our journey (The day was absolutely beautiful, BTW). On the way back up, I stopped in at my grandparents' house, to see if they wanted me to take pics of anything of theirs. They directed me into the living room to get my uncles stereo and speakers, but when I went in, Goo in tow, their old, fat cat was sprawled out on the floor. Something like that is just too much temptation for Goo, so we wandered back out to the dining room, where I tried to convince her to go into the bathroom so I could shut her in there while I snapped the pics, then we could leave. She's normally fine about this, but for some reason, threw a fit this time, doing the stiff-legged bag-o-cement impression again, and I shoved her on in anyway, pulling the door shut. I went and took the pics, then came to let her out... only to find that the door was locked. I guess I accidentally hit the lock (it's just a button you push in on the knob, easy enough to do inadvertantly) when I shut the door. My grandmother had went over to the yard next door to feed the stray cats that live there, and my grandfather was out tying things off in the yard, so I didn't want to bother either. I wasn't too worried, because it wasn't hot in there, and she had water anyway :lol: , so I hunted around for something to unlock the door with, then not wanting to tear the house apart, just sat by the door and waited. A few minutes later, my uncle came in, and I sheepishly explained to him that I had somehow locked my dog in the bathroom, and was waiting for someone to "save" her. He unlocked the door, and there sat poor Goo, looking like a little kid who was being punished :( I wish I had had my camera ready at that moment, because the look on her face was one of such betrayal, and forlornment, that I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Of course, as soon as I called her over, she was back to normal happy Goo again, typical drama queen :lol:

Guest Anonymous

'nother update... they've announced voluntary evacuations for our area and a few other nearby areas (plus more farther away), but we're (obviously) still around. When we checked last (about 1/2 hr ago), the water was lapping at my grandparents' house. It's running into several neighbors' basements as well. We have an old car parked in the backyard, it's almost completely covered by water. My dad, aunt, and I walked over to the field where I take the dogs (Goo came with us :wink: ), and the water is almost to the TOP of the ledge where the field drops off onto the beach. This ledge is taller than I am (even on tiptoes), so the water is more than 5' over what it normally is. Then the waves... they were 4-5 ft, and when they hit the ledge, would spray up, sending spray up 10 ft in the air and far enough to shower us, 20 ft away (needless to say, Goo was not pleased :lol: ). My dad even said he's never seen the water like that, and he's lived here his entire life. And the worst part is that they're calling for the winds (which are what are causing this, by pushing the water up the bay) to keep up through tomorrow afternoon. We're 2 1/2 hrs towards low tide, and the water is a few inches higher than it was an hr ago :o Sooo... we're hoping we won't have to leave, but are getting things together in case we do, so all we have to do is grab them and get out. Goo's wandering around giving "sad faces", I think she thinks we're leaving her :-?

Hope you all fared all right Goo ...

It really wasn't so bad here -- I'm back in the office and all. Oscar was a nightmare, though. Trying to get him out the door last night took both of us. one pushing and one pulling. and then i had to take him so he couldn't see the front door ....

but the inner harbor and most of another couple of neighborhoods are all under water and it's supposed to get worse before it gets better. Of course, my BF works in the harbor, so he's not going to work till the waters go down .... no fair!