Dogomania

Might have lymphoma...

behle

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning Max took his final car ride, hanging his head out the car window as usual for about the first two miles or so before laying down in the seat. He was my faithful companion for 5 and a half years and this morning I had to do one final thing for him by having him put to sleep.

No, his test results had still not come in....when I called the vets this morning they said it usually takes TEN DAYS (not what I was initially told). Max did not have that time to wait just to get confirmation of what was suspected. His weight had plummeted and all he did was sleep, go outside to do his business with coaxing, or nibble special foods from my hand (I think as a favor to me and not because he was really hungry).

Then yesterday evening when we took him outside he was very confused and disoriented. I called to him and he came toward where I was sitting and bumped his chin on the arm of my lawn chair. The look of hurt and confusion on his face just broke my heart. It was then I knew for sure his illness had blinded him.

And so, with a heavy heart we made out last journey together. He was a good boy even to the end, slipping away gently while I held him.

I want to thank all the members of this board who have expressed their sympathy and support throughout Max's leg surgery and ensuing illness. Your support has been a life-line for me throughout this time and I do appreciate you all.

Rest easy, my Max....you are gone, but never forgotten! I miss you so.

Behle,
I'm so sorry. My chest aches, my vision blurs. Beloved Max, onward to the bridge to wait for the day you will meet again.
This act of kindness and mercy brings such pain to you, sweet release for Max.
Good dog Max, rest easy and play hard across the bridge.

Thankyou Rosebud, Carolk9s, Mouse, and Daisymom! You are angels for caring. :angel:

:cry: Ben spent some time this afternoon looking for his brother...I'm not sure how well he will do. I am really hoping he is going to adjust. :o

oh, Blehe, I am SO sorry for you - the tears just flow for poor Max and his family. Even though we know our friends are now resting easy - it is much harder on those left behind.
May Max find peace, joy, lots of places to run, and lots of trees to mark at the bridge.

Ellieangel - It is getting a little easier. I find I can talk about him now without crying. My sister came over and we spent some time talking about his last few days and then wound up talking about Max and his fun habits. You know the "smile because he was there" saying K posted? It is true. We were lucky to have Max for his short life, he brought a lot of joy to us.

Ben, poor dear, is still not sure what is going on. I wish I could explain to him. Yesterday evening a large group of racing cyclists hissed by the house on our quiet country road. Ben heard the noise went over to the window and barked half-heartedly. Then he came to the center of the living room looked at us and into the other rooms and barked repeatedly. Max was always the leader in alerting us of something strange outside and Ben would always give one or two barks as if to say, "Yep! I agree. There's something wierd out there." and then he would stop. Last night it was almost as if he was calling to Max to get over to that window and do his job! But there was no Max.... :(

I think Ben will adjust.....it will just take him some time. Although he does seem to be thriving on all the extra attention he is getting now. He is like a stick tight burr!

You sound like you are feeling a bit better today I'm sure that's how you have to take it,one day at a time.
And you have a great attitude you have to be grateful for all the love he brought into your life.You will never forget him but the pain will ease with time.

And when you have a bad day you know where we are :wink:

That makes perfect sense, K. Thanks for giving me a real good reason to [u]slowly[/u] remove Max's things. I am very reluctant to do this task. Another thing Ben did yesterday was to go to the spot where Max spent most of his time during the past few weeks and SNIFF, SNIFF, SNIFF! Thanks for the advice!

:cry: Oh, I'm sooooooooooo sorry, I just got back to my computer & it was one of the first things I checked. Oh, bless you for the love & the saddness...it's really true, your heart just aches when you hear about someones baby. But, he is really having a great time & one day ya'll WILL be together, again, NEVER TO PART!

Our deep love to you & your family, you'll be in our prayers as time goes on~ :bluepaw: ~Elsastarr & Family

Don't rush to get rid of Max's things Behle. It took us a long time before we could part with Jasmine's bed etc. The day after we had her PTS my neighbour came in, saw the bed in the corner and said "Why is that still there, she's not coming back you know". Well that started me bawling again, how insensitive can you get. I don't think she meant anything but it was the wrong thing to say at the wrong time.

I'm glad you're feeling a little better and talking about him will help. Poor Ben, wondering where his protector is, I bet he loves going round taking in all of Max's smells.

Thanks, every one of you! :angel:

Marion, he really does go around from time to time sniffing great lungfuls of smells off the carpeted spots where Max lay habitually. This morning he had a bit of leftover steak from last night's dinner. I was bad...I fed it to him off a paper plate in the living room... :oops: We have a bad habit of eating meals in the living room, especially breakfast, so that is where the special treats from our plates are passed out. Max was always the first to get his bite, then Ben, then Max, then Ben, and so forth.

He sniffed it (normally would wolf it down in a second), looked around the room for Max, and then lay down with his nose about 6 inches from the plate and put on his sad face. :roll: So I got down there and scooted the plate right up to his nose and told him to go ahead and eat. He finally realized it was okay and ate. In his own doggie way, he is missing his "brother".

I too miss Max. Today we are pouring footings for the deck we are building on the front of our house. I took his favorite squeaky ball, slit it, collapsed it, and it will become part of our deck that poor Max will never get to sit on with us..... :(

My husband and I had a conversation about another dog in which I told him that he would have to decide when the time was right for another dog to come and live with Ben and us. I can't do this, so my husband agreed he would.

Sorry your neighbor was so insensitive about Jasmine's passing. I just don't think many people understand how deep the relationship goes between us and our furkids... :(