Dogomania

OMG - I AM SOOOOOOOO PO'D

courtnek

the yellow lab (Tasha) showed up here again today. She likes Freebee, and so when she escapes from her yard she comes here...in a high traffic area where she can get hit by a car in an instant....

once again, I called and returned her to her owners...I told her owner she
needs to secure her better, she will get hurt running free like this...

and she says "oh, she'll be fine - we always find her and bring her home.."

AAARRRGGGHHHHHH....

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I feel bad for the dog too :( That lady is very ignorant! There are so many dangers lurking outside, that we can't protect our dogs from, when they are out alone :( Cars, diseases, poisons and so much more.

That sure does stink. Do you have a leash law where you live? Maybe if she got a fine she would think twice about her dogs safety???

I know the owner is a stupid woman and you probably don't want to associate with her but what if you suggest a regular play date with Freebee and Tasha.

That way is Tasha gets taken out for fun she may not feel so compelled to get out on her own. :niewiem:

I don't know about your area, but here you can bring a found dog to animal control and put your name on it so in case the owner is not found or does not want the dog back they will call you first to adopt it. Then you drop the dog off at the shelter and hope the owner won't want to pay the reclaim fee. Here, if the dog is not licensed the fee can be as high as $70. She may not want to pay that kind of money to get her dog back out and then you can legally adopt her as your own. It's just a thought, not sure how things work in your area.

Good idea K!
[quote]oh, she'll be fine - we always find her and bring her home...[/quote]
WHAT A LOAD OF BS! If these people went through the trouble of getting a dog, they should at least have some common sense and TAKE CARE OF HER! :evil: :evil:
If every dog that runs out in the street would be "fine, and always brought home" then what a perfect world this would be!
Unfortunately it's not! Some people just refuse to face reality! :roll:

Perhaps a call to your local animal control is in order. Might even call them BEFORE this dog shows up on your doorstep again, ask them if it should happen, you call, will they come out and take the dog home and issue a warning or what? Find out how they will handle it, if the dog will be in no danger, perhaps having an 'official' visit will convince the people that they need to keep their girl home.

yes, there are leash laws - she is skirting the edge of them because the dog is not "allowed" to run free, it escapes from her non-fenced yard.

She has her out on a line in the yard, but her collar is too loose and she
gets out of it and wanders off. The first time she showed up here, she had the collar on, so not sure how she got out. The second time she didnt.

The police said that I could file a complaint, but since the dog wasnt doing any real damage it would never be enforced with a fine. And since Tasha isnt in any way dangerous (she wandered into the garage, laid down on a chair out there and went to sleep until my son saw her - he had gone to the store and left the garage open) I was furious!! Both at my son and the owner! There is oil and antifreeze and all kinds of stuff in there bad for dogs....she didnt touch anything, just laid down on the chair (my son and his friends hang out in the garage on nice days) and went to sleep. Then he put her in the yard and let her play with Freebee.

And as much as I would like to have this dog, the tears on the kids faces the first time I found her did me in. I am at a hard point here, I dont want anything bad to happen to her, but I dont want to take her away from the kids either. They obviously love her, and they are too snall to have any real say in how their mother treats her....I am very torn by this.....

It's so sad.....

:(

That is really a sad situation. I feel for the kids too. Some of my best childhood memories involve my pets. One of my worst is my dog Pickles dying when I was little.

In this world so many things happen out of our control, to not control the ones we are able too, is just ignorant. I guess unfortunately if something bad happens and she sees her children hurting maybe than she will care :cry: and by then its too late........

This is so sad I had a neighbour who let her 8year old golden labrador wander,(thought It was ok because it was in the counryside.)
I put it back in the yard so many times but next day there he was again
The road outside our house twists and turns and the boy racers love it,
One evening a gent came to my door and ask if I had a large yellow coloured dog as he had just seem one of these boys cars knock him over and speed off.. Mericfully he was killed outright.
I was so angry I could not talk to the woman so after my other half & I
lifted the dog intoa wheel barrow. he returned the dog to its careless owner.
A few months later they had a GSD puppy same scenario but luckily they moved before anything happened to her and she is still alive [b]Had they stayed who knows.[/b]
Ickle

At our ski chalet in Ellicotville we have 10 acres and our neighbour has close to 20 acres, so we are not that close but their male unnutered dog comes over all the time and pees on everything. I couldn't count how many times we have returned him. Its a good thing all our dogs are spayed.
They keep him outside all day and night so when he isn't over peeing on everything he's barking. Pretty sad to see a dog left outside all the time, when does he get hugs and kisses?

OMG that is like exactly the same as these people here! They have this beautiful $900 pedigree lab, 10 months old - honestly she would have to be the most beautiful, show quality lab I've ever seen. Every day she would come and visit, just wait out the front of our house until we saw her there and let her out the back to play with Lily until 6pm when the owners would get home. They live like three blocks away but she just loves us so much she would always come here, we knew where she lived because she was on our dog walking route, so one day dad took her home. The fence had a little hole in it, nothing serious, would take about 5 minutes to fix, but the owners had this "she'll be right attitude". :evil:
Yeah well how far did that attitude get them? It got them as far as having to post lost dog signs everywhere and being left without their beautiful dog which they paid a fortune for. I know she's been stolen, I would have stolen her myself if I didn't know better, I have never met a friendlier, more absolutly amazing, stunning dog than Meg, how could anyone not steal her? Well hopefully these ignorant owners have learned their lesson and Meg has found a home that will actually take propper care of her.
Another similar case (not similar, but a case of a careless owner) is the dog two doors up. It made me SOOOOO angry!!!! This guy would LEAVE HIS GATE OPEN for a few hours each day (too lazy to walk his dogs) while his dog ran the streets ATTACKING OUR DOGS AND ANYBODY WHO WALKED PAST!!! Dad got a chunk out of his leg one day from this dog, due to its ignorant owner. The counsil had spoken to the owner numberus times and the dog had been declaired as a "nuicance dog". Well, a couple of weeks ago I wrote an annonymouse letter asking that he simply keep his gate closed (not really a big ask, is it?) and explained that his dog has been attacking people and other dogs and I didnt' want to involve the counsil but was afraid that if he didn't stop letting his dog run wild I would have to, for the dogs sake more than anything. Idiot, keeping a border collie in town and not exercising it, he also has a sweet kelpie that he also lets run the neighbourhood but that doesn't attack people, and a cattle dog that steals our cat food.
Well guess what? The next day the dogs out attacking people again!!! And the day after that, and the next day and the next, until the other day when we saw a big RSPCA van drive past and stop at their house. Havn't seen any of those dogs since, in the backyard, on the road... I wonder what happend to them? Maybe he realised he couldn't look after them and surrendered them? Or maybe someone rang up about him? I don't know, I just hope the bastard has learned his lesson. :evil:

My neighbour is the same, as you know we live opposite a lovely big Heath and take our dogs out 3-4 times a day. But she just opens her front door lets the dogs out and shuts it. They have been under my car wheels when I've been reversing into my drive loads of times. When I mention this she just says "It's okay, they'll move out of the way". She does this several times a day. She does take her dogs for occasional walks but mostly does above. When himself was working away, I'd take them out about 10.30pm and walk them to the bottom of the Heath (in my PJs) and let them have a run around, every night they were on the front by themselves.

We had some newish neighbours round for drinks on Saturday night and they mentioned this. They said they'd nearly run them over several times. Luckily we're at a dead end (farm) but we still get traffic.

Don't get me wrong, our two go on the front but ONLY when I am on the front. Ruby just lies on the front of the Heath and never moves and Rosie mostly doesn't bother going out but she has been known to lie in the middle of the road. But they are NEVER out of my sight and as soon as I go in they go in.

Very rarely anything for sale along here Zoe. :( There's only 12 houses and most of the people have lived here since they were built. :o The last was 3 years ago and the one before that was 14 years ago and that was us. :o There are some terraced further up the road, but even they get snapped up as soon as the signs go up. We were very lucky to get this, my sister used to live up the street and she told us about it, we looked straight away and put an offer in. We are having some trouble with children on off-road bikes but thankfully not as bad as it has been.

We bought this for

Never had any trouble with my neighbours, :D even though next door just bought her son a off-road bike. :x He'd only had it a week and I was pissed of with him revving it up for 4 hours so I went ballistic. :agrue: Not seen it out since. :D They are all very nice down here. :D

I know Sanvean. I should of been at Dunalastair this week in a late availability cottage, :D by the time I'd secured cover for my job the bloody thing had gone. :x

We love the Highlands and go several times a year and would dearly love to live there. :D

We're going to...let me think here...Oban, Inverness, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Kinloch Rannoch, and Skye. There might be a few others I can't remember! I've been trying to find out if DF is eligible for British citizenship (his dad lives in the U.S. but still has English citizenship). He's not interested in living overseas, though :p

Guest Anonymous

Kinloch Rannoch is where I should of been this week. :( We've been there before and it's beautiful. :D I'll show you some photo's if you like. :roll: The railway station is miles and miles out over the moorland. I drove all the way round the loch and across the moor to the station. It was like being on an empty planet. You must go to Queen's View, there's a lovely pub there and the view over the loch is awesome. The nearby castle is impressive also. I think you are staying in the Dunalastair Hotel, we stayed in the Dunalastair cottages (The Old Post Office)

You won't be disappointed. :D :D

I've recently found a cottage for sale there and am very tempted. :o

It might benefit you to check out your local laws regarding found pets--in my state, if you find a dog, running loose, no tags or collar, and you keep it for three days, it's considered yours. You might consider tying up the poor loose pup and seeing if her owners come after her. If they do, explain you like the dog and when it comes to you, you're just going to keep confining her to prevent her from being struck in the road. At the least, they'll learn to tie her up. (I'm sorry you have to deal with such rotten people)