Dogomania

Telling lies about your breed????

hicksstar

After previous posts recently about what people say about there dogs when someone asks, I was wondering whether anyone has told others that there dog was something that it wasnt.

Eg: When Charlie was a pup many people thought she was a boxer pup, or staffie mix one day we were camping and these untrustworthy people came up to me at the beach and asked was she a staffie cross or something, I responded by saying she was a boxer x as she was a very valuable and there were not many around (Aussie Bulldog) I must say that I was guilty of not being totaly truthful with these people and I would do it again if I felt that the people may be the untrustworthy type. Dogs get stolen around our country for dog fighting or sold to make money.

Has anyone else told a few white lies?????????
"No its not a pit its a terrier x????????" :-?

When our Penny bit a kid that was tormenting her, we told AC that she was a Boxer mix. It's not [u]really[/u] a lie since she was a Boxer/Pit mix. It may be unethical, but I didn't want to put a feather in the cap of the BSL people, or contribute to already skewed statistics. Penny was unstable and likely had some sort of neurological problems (the vet believes) and we eventually put her down. Her problem was NOT her "breed" or mix, so I did not wish to have her tossed in with a lot of other statistics that "prove" Pit Bulls and their mixes are inherently dangerous.

I have never lied about mine because they are not on the current "dangerous dog" lists...a lab mix and a foxhound. But I would, in a heartbeat. if for some reason they became bsl dogs. Well, I couldnt really lie about Laurel, she's obviously a foxhound, and Free looks more lab than anything else, so it probably wouldnt work anyway.

Guest Anonymous

My Ariel was a GSD/Chow mix---her vet records and my home owners list her as a Unknown mix breed even thiough I know mom was a GSD and daddy was a Chow.

Prissy is listed on her vet records as a mix breed no guesses made. We have no talk of bsl but my vet was thinking in terms of what if.

I've never lied about Ilsa's breed, but when she was a puppy I was terified that someone in the neighborhood would try to take her form my by force. It wasn't exactly the greatest neighborhood, and I was really nervous when people would drive by reeeeeally slowly to ogle my Doberman puppy.

Nowadays though... I'd like to see someony [i]try[/i] and take her... she isn't a puppy anymore... :evilbat:

I haven't lied about my breed (papillons). It's kind of hard to confuse them of anything else. Though some people think they make a good long haired chi. ;)

I have however lied about the price of them! :oops: When people say "Oh what a gorgeous dog, how much do they run?" I size them up. If they look like their inquiring about the breed and not just the value... I tell them the truth. About $1,000-$3,000. If it's someone shady who ONLY is concerned about the price, I lie and say "Eh you can get them around $200." LOL That's awful, but my babies are so precious to me they are much more than a pricetag.

Ooooooooohhhh, I just remembered... I lied when I placed one of my early fosters. At least, I think I lied. Buster was/is a Chow/Shepherd-ish mix. Well, he looked like any other Chow/Shepherd mix around here. I'm pretty sure there was some Chow in there, anyway, willing to bet on it if there were a way to prove it. The perfect home was lined up for him, but the lady was adamantly opposed to anything that even *might* be Chow, so Buster became a Collie/Shepherd mix :oops: . The lady took him and 120 lb Buster has been there for 2-3 years now living a life of luxury. I don't think she's ever even questioned the Chow aspect.

I did lie about my malamute/BC mix....people were afriad of him, and with good reason. He was 100 lbs and had teeth that scared people when he showed them, and he often did when a stranger approached....he never actually bit, or attempted to bite, anyone, but he warned them off pretty sternly unless he was told its ok. that first "greeting" set people off and they would ask if he was part wolf...(even though he had somewhat floppy ears) My vet said she thought he was, a very small part, but I always said no,hes a mutt, and left it at that.