Dogomania

*Update* Odd-Looking Stray (dobe people please?!)

Guest Mutts4Me

Guest Mutts4Me

AHHH!!!

It's Sunday, and the HS isn't open... We just found the sweetest, hungriest puppy wandering the street... It looks like a 4-5 month old blue-eyed Doberman.

What could a dobe be mixed with to give it blue eyes? Or do dobes sometimes have blue eyes?

I'm going to call the police and see if they do Lost/Found reports like Courtnek's do, since the HS isn't open.

Errr... We don't know what to do with a female puppy off the streets. Don't have a garage, and Sahs does not deal with other dogs, especially other females. AH :o

Ohhhh....I HOOOOPPPEEE your police do lost/found....poor puppy.
Hopefully someone is searching for it, and the PD may know who.

I agree with K, in absense of a garage, do you have a bathroom, basement, crate you could keep him in? even a crate would be good temporarily...baby gate him a a seldom used room?

Like Seij said, blue eyes could be part Huskie, Aussie or Dane...does it have long hair? or sjprt hair like a Dobie? Dobie ears or something else?
I would love to see a picture. Blue eyed dogs are so striking....

Guest Mutts4Me

:lol:

All our friends think there's a Stray Conspiracy in the form of hobo signs posted all over town so that the strays know where to go. We have 6 cats at the moment, and the last three were from our back yard. Sasha was a semi-stray in the neighborhood.

Unlike Marley, the most recent stray kitty, the puppy cannot stay.

We chained her up to a tree in the front yard (hold on, hold on), and we dug out our former Labrador's crate (which Sasha has never used). We set that up in the front room, which was then blocked off with a baby gate and chairs. Then in came puppy, who just seemed happy to be warm and full for a change.

She likes toys (also our former Lab's, as Sasha doesn't do toys), which leads us to believe she has a nice home. She's wearing a collar, too.

Blue eyes . . . I do know which dogs have blue eyes, but... [i]look[/i]

Chained to the tree (only for 10 minutes)

[img]http://www.petfish.net/gallery/albums/AmberD/blueeyes.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.petfish.net/gallery/albums/AmberD/blueeyes2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.petfish.net/gallery/albums/AmberD/blueeyes3.jpg[/img]

I've not been around Doberman puppies... adults yes, puppies no. But she looks to be quite Dobe-ish to me. Except she has those blue eyes. I suppose DP is right and a Weim wouldn't alter a Dobe's appearance too much... I don't know.

[img]http://www.petfish.net/gallery/albums/AmberD/blueeyes4.jpg[/img]

And safe in her crate. We drinks a lot, and I take her outside every couple of hours for a walk. She barks at the cats, but I'm not sure it's a threatening bark. She growled and barked at Sasha, who growled and barked right back.

The initial plan was to take her to the HS tomorrow, but we might keep her for a couple days while the newspaper ad I'm putting out runs through. Then she can go to the HS, which I'm sure will take care of her.

And K... no one calling for her. She was showing her ribs and smells poopy. She does have a collar on, though. I know all the dogs around here, or I think I do. Oh yeah, she needs a bath. I'll go do that. Croos your fingers for her! Mom calls her She-Ra (princess of power)... I was more inclined to think Jazz or Moxie, but whatever :wink:

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']don't let her eat too much food. or she'll get sick[/quote]

Yeah... she hasn't eaten since we got her. It was initial shock thing. Mom brought out a bowl of kibble in case it was hungry, and when the poor pup inhaled it, she brought out another bowl. She stopped eating with a couple bites left. Smart puppy.

Wow, those eye's are BLUE!!! Have you checked that they're not contacts? :lol:

She looks so dobe, I can't see what would be giving her the blue eyes! The thing that gets me is that they're such a solid blue, a lot of blue eyed breeds have mottly blue and brown eyes.

Don't send her to the pound, if you can't find her owners and you find out she's a stray, send her to me!!!!

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Aroura']Don't send her to the pound, if you can't find her owners and you find out she's a stray, send her to me!!!![/quote]

Oh no! We won't send her to "the pound" - such horrible connotations! If we have to, we'll take her to the Humane Society, which is a nice place. The pound, aka Animal Control, isn't bad per se, but it has small cages and a high-kill rate because of overcrowding. The HS has bigger cages and a lower kill rate. It requires a surrender fee, but we'll pay it. I'm also looking into Dobe rescues, but they're all far away.

Her eyes are fabulous and confusing. To me, she looks all Dobe (except the eyes), but I'm trying to find pictures of 3-4 month natural dobes to compare. I'm hoping some of our Dobe people will give their thoughts, too.

Guest Mutts4Me

That's a funy thing, because when I first saw her, I thought she was blind.

My neighbors have a Rott mix puppy, and when the three Rottweielrs across the street started throwing a fit, I looked and caught a glimpse of a black/tan pup in the road. Thought it was the neighbor's pup, so I ran out to get it. Well, I called it, and it turned to look at me. Its eyes looked white from where I was standing, and I panicked, thinking it was blind.

But as soon as I knelt down, she charged me, wiggling and waggling. Any time a cat goes into the room (and they're nealry silent) she looks at it and barks. Whenever she notices us peeking into her room, she pops up, stares, and wags at us. I don't think she's blind... She looks straight and focuses, doesn't gaze in a general direction.

Over here in Oz we tend to get a few cattle dogs or kelpies with blue eyes, so if she was over here that would be my guess, but since you are in the US I’m really not sure. I don’t know how common those breeds are over there.

She is adorable though. Keep us updated on how you go with finding her owners.

Guest Mutts4Me

Poor little puppy.

She's having all kinds of digestive problems. Who knows what she's been scavenging the past several days, and she has the runs. She also [i]knows[/i] she's supposed to hold it 'til she goes outside... she lets us know when she needs out, but she gets so excited when she gets out of her crate that she's now peed three times in front of the door, right before it opens.

I'm spending the night in the front room with her, and I'm sure it'll be an eventful night of running in and out. Ah well, she's cute.

Oh yeah, and she smells a lot better since her bath. Which she didn't like. I think it was her first bath. And she was filthy. But she's cute.

[quote name='Lokipups']Mutts, she certainly looks like a Dobe, and to answer your question , yes, it's possible for two brown eyed dogs to throw a blue eyed pup. Rare, but possible :happy1: .[/quote]

Only if the gene for blue eyes is already there in both parents. I'm beggining to think that maybe this dog has a unique mutation, like when the Devon Rex was born they thought it must have been the same gene that created the curly coat as a Cornish Rex, however, when the two are mated together they produce straight coated cats. Maybe this is a mutation that is different to a huskies, or a danes, maybe this dog IS a pure bred dobe, but has amazingly come up with a very unique mutation.

Well, pound or humane society, I don't care, I STILL WANT HER!!!

pwrpufgirlz, do you want to start bidding for her? :wink: