Dogomania

Another Patti update

xavierandrea

Here's another update on Patti-cakes. She had her spay on the Saturday that just past. She is tolerating the pain very well. The spay set me back $600 but it is well worth it! The vet did tell me that she checked Patti's eyes while she was under and measured her lids. Well Patti's left eye lid is longer and curls in more than the right lid. She says that Patti will need surgery to correct this. The vet says that the surgery can wait a little because that will set me back another $600 or so. She says to continue to give Patti the ointment in her eyes to keep it moist. I did notice that since I have been placing the ointment in her eyes she doesn't tear as much. Even though Patti has been spayed only a little less than a week ago I have notice a slight change in her. Before she would scratch at the door to be let into the main part of the house and bark every time she heard Free barking on the other side. Now she is a quite as a mouse. I have been working with the dogs using the NILIF method. I swear the dogs are getting aggravated with me. Things that I used to let them do I am now not allowing unless they do what I want 1st. Free is the hardest right now. She is very stubburn. I admit that I paid special attention to her in the past because of her hips and arthitis and I let alot of things slide with her but NOT any more. Asim is very well trained because Ro trained him from the begining and never let him get away with anything. I do include Asim in the training so he can get used to me giving commands. I need to work on Xavier because he tends to forget to not let the dogs do whatever they want. Anyways, so far so good.

Guest Anonymous

That is good news. Teaching X will probably be harder than the dogs. Believe me trying to get James do it is like pulling teeth!

Continued good luck

[quote name='xavierandrea'] I have been working with the dogs using the NILIF method. I swear the dogs are getting aggravated with me. Things that I used to let them do I am now not allowing unless they do what I want 1st. [/quote]
Good! Sounds like you're doing it right especially if the dogs are getting aggravated! LOL You have to be so tough with them or they walk all over you, I know, I have a GSD, she's such a feisty little bitch who tests me till my wits end.
Why did the spay cost so much? I go to a vet in the very posh part of town and everyone says I got totally ripped on Magic’s spay it was about $375 Canadian and she was one years old and full-grown.
Too bad about her eye, that is called “Collie Eye” isn’t it? A lot of Collies and Shelties get it. I would assume it would be painful. Poor girl.
Good luck with Pattie.

[b]Do you let X in on the training sessions? Also tell him that he must watch you and your husband to make sure that you are continuing to not let the dogs get away with things. They love to try to catch you in a mistake. If he thinks he has some power in this he is more likely to make sure he does them when your not around. And will definitely when you are around. It's works really well with my 10 year old niece Samantha. She has handled all the dogs in training classes and is like the little general at home if we make a mistake and don't get a command or hand signal right. [/b]

Keep up with the NIFIL training. That policy is a life saver :wink:
When I first rescued my adult female Rottie (Athena) she was a very offensive, dominant horrible bitch. She attacked me once (she went into predatory drift), I almost shipped her off to the local Rottie rescue. Instead I did as you are doing...I enforced the NIFIL, she is now no longer food or possesion aggressive, her level of dog aggression has decreased about 90% (I did do extra training with a certified animal behaviorist for this behavior issue, and I attended a few dog aggression courses).
When you set your dogs up to succeed they will not have the need to fight over resources or attention. Athena can be chewing on a big raw meaty bone and my other dogs can take it away from her with out any issues...all Athena does now is to walk over, take it back and go else where for more privacy.
I am glad all of your dogs are responding to this training. Just remember to always be consistant and never get to the point of "oh, every thing seems fine now" :lol: this will be a life long committment. You can also make it fun for your son by having him feed the dogs and making them sit before he places it down for them.

I will try to dig up my notes and paper work from the dog aggression seminars I attended and pass on some of the info I found to be most helpful. Give me time as my paper work and file cabinet are not quite in alphabet order :oops:

Thanks everyone. The spay cost $600 ( $68 of that was for Thyroid test)
because Patti is over 5 years old, her weight was a 115lb and the vet had to give her an additional 1/2 of anethisia(sp) because her uterus (sp) was very, very large. Aparently the vet says that it appears that Patti had 5-6 litters in her life to have such a large uterus. FYI she never had one while living with us. It is obivious to me that her previous owners were "done" with her and that is why they rid themselves of her :evil: I was pi$$ed off to find out that Patti was a breeding machine! But thank DOG she is in a better home now and that is with us.
When we had Free spayed it cost us $300 which is average here. Free was a year old when that was done.
I do include X with the training, and I do see him sometimes making a mistake. I make sure to correct X so that he knows not to make the same mistake twice. I'll keep everyone updated.
Thanks again.