Dogomania

A little Doggie Rant (no offense to small dog owners)

Irresponsible owners are irresponsible owners it hasn't a thing to do with the size of the dog. A dog is a dog and the owner is who is responsible for the behavior and stating that a dog is a little sh*t blames the dog not the owner. I don't like that sort of comment directed at animals when they are simply being animals. If you called the person a little sh*t I would have to agree with you. I don't like people using derogatory words against any dog anymore then I would agree that a child with lousy parents is a little sh*t.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My neighbor has a little Chihuahua named Lulu that constantly snaps, lunges and growls at people. Of course she just laughs, EVEN the people that it lunges at kind of chuckle. I just dont understand it. If my dogs lunged and snapped at every neighbor I have, they would assemble a mob and come hang me.
Do I dislike every small dog because some of theme have irresponsible owners? Certainly not. I am a huge fan of poms, chihuahuas, rat terriers among others. I will say this though: when it comes to chihuahuas and poms, of the 50 or so I have been around, maybe 10 were trained in basic obedience, which def. is a huge disparity among people I know with working or certain bully breeds. No need to take offense, we are chastising irresponsible owners, not small dogs. :wink:

I don't dislike small dogs, I actually have a Sheltie living with me right now. He's quite small and he can be noisy, but he's not. I think we're all pretty much complaining about irresponsible owners letting their wee ones get away with murder. I'm willing to bet that most participants in this thread have similar complaints about irresponsible machismo owners with pit bulls or various breeds they need to use to extend their idiocy!

[quote name='Cairn6']Irresponsible owners are irresponsible owners it hasn't a thing to do with the size of the dog[/quote]
True. However, *T*H*I*S* thread is about irresponsible [u]small[/u] dog owners. Again, the Pit Bull and "bad" dog thing has been done to death here. I'm actually GLAD someone addressed this issue with small dogs. That's why we have different boards on this forum and why we title the individual threads. It's easy enough to avoid a topic that is upsetting.

[quote]I don't like people using derogatory words against any dog anymore then I would agree that a child with lousy parents is a little sh*t.[/quote]
Start a thread about lousy parenting and we'll see. I call bratty kids with rotten parents little sh*ts all the time. Start a thread, put it in debates and we can go at it there.

I don't have anything against small dogs, I just don't like their owners who think that their "little darling" is the sweetest thing while hanging off my dogs leg or neck. The guy said "Isn't he a tough guy takeing on two big dogs like that" "He a little man". If my 2 ever did that to another dog/owner they'd be PTS. Of course my dogs where on leash under my control, but the little "hellion" was standing in the middle of the street with no supervison. Is that a responsiable owner?

no one here said they dont like small dogs. I like ALL dogs, big small and in between....if they're trained well, not aggressive, not snappy and yappy. I dont care much for the owner of the two Chi's next door, who puts them oout at 6:00 a,m, then they start to yap. He doesnt bring them in until about 8:00 p.m., and they yap the whole time. Yes, that is the owners fault. I dont like big dogs who are aggressive and snappish either. All dogs require a certain amount of training and socialization, to be considered good, enjoyable dogs. All dogs should know at least basic obedience. But I told everyone here that when I get old, and can no longer handle my large hunting dogs, I would like to get a papillon. I'm sure that's spelled wrong...sorry. I'm sure it will sit in my lap and be spoiled, but not to the extent that it will EVER be allowed to snap, lunge or nip anybody.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Mutt_Lady']I don't have anything against little dogs either, only there owners who are complete idiots. :evil:[/quote]

I must defend my little dogs, not all little dogs are this way and not all little dog owners think it's cute, it's the same as you owners that have large dogs getting a bad rap (Pits, etc). Any owner that lets any dog regardless of size of shape run loose or act in this manner is idiotic. I know that little dogs can be snappy but I have been bit and it wasn't by a toy breed, my cousin was very nearly killed by a chow years ago. So dogs whom bite come in all shapes and sizes and it all boils down to idiotic owners.

[quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='Mutt_Lady']I don't have anything against little dogs either, only there owners who are complete idiots. :evil:[/quote]

I must defend my little dogs, not all little dogs are this way and not all little dog owners think it's cute, it's the same as you owners that have large dogs getting a bad rap (Pits, etc). Any owner that lets any dog regardless of size of shape run loose or act in this manner is idiotic. I know that little dogs can be snappy but I have been bit and it wasn't by a toy breed, my cousin was very nearly killed by a chow years ago. So dogs whom bite come in all shapes and sizes and it all boils down to idiotic owners.[/quote]
Yep I totally agree that is my point right there. Having a thread devoted to the size of a breed is ridiculous when all dogs are capable of aggressive behavior no matter what the size. And by the way the title of the thread is a rant on little dogs (no offense to small dog owners) That is how this thread can be misunderstood if it's about dog owners why is it a rant on little dogs and that the owners of these little dogs shouldn't be offended.

This is not a thread about the size of a breed, this is a thread about one irrisponsible owner who let their dogs misbehave. No one said only little dogs are aggressive. No one said only big dogs are aggressive. And if you actually READ the thread, I don't think there is a way for it to be misunderstood. Sharpeigirl, nor anyone else here blamed it on the dog.

The Title had nothing to do with small dogs, I simply stated I had a little rant. And yes it had to do with small dogs & they're owners. It was not my intent to diss small dog owners, I just get tired of the owners who think it's so cute for their little UNTRAINED Dog to bite my large dogs. Plus the dog in question was unleashed on a busy street, so it was in danger of being hit by a passing car. My dogs where on leash, not roaming free.

[quote name='Sharpeigirl']The Title had nothing to do with small dogs, I simply stated I had a little rant. And yes it had to do with small dogs & they're owners. It was not my intent to diss small dog owners, I just get tired of the owners who think it's so cute for their little UNTRAINED Dog to bite my large dogs. Plus the dog in question was unleashed on a busy street, so it was in danger of being hit by a passing car. My dogs where on leash, not roaming free.[/quote]
Okay that sounds right. I hate that too I don't think it's funny one bit to have your small dog act aggressive. I had a time where my cairn was aggressive towards dogs he didn't know and boy did I work on breaking him of that. Now we can go anywhere and he happily greets other dogs. I didn't really mean it to sound like your terrible for bringing up the subject it's just that the sterotyping of breeds bothers me but I see now that is not what you meant. I apologive if I made you angry.

No worries, I have people sterotype my chosen breeds also. I own a Rottie & a GSD, both "Dangerous Dogs" in some peoples eyes. My big thing is no matter what the size is, they need to be trained. Alot of people think just cause their little & cute they don't need training. All dogs need it to be good compainons. BTW I love the sheltie in your siggy, If I get another dog it'll be a sheltie, I just love them.

[quote name='pLaurent']Aroura - that brindled whippet is just stunning!!! What do you call that colour? The lady who owns the pet store I go to has one that's similar. So pretty,and very sweet natured. :)[/quote]

He's absolutly gorgeous isn't he? Not sure what colour he is :oops:

He is the father of my new pup who was born a week ago :angel:

The other one is the mum, I haven't got photos of the pups yet but spoke to the breeder on the phone last night and apparently they are all stunning and show quality, and whats best - I get the pick of the litter! :angel:

For all those people "defending" little dogs, they don't need to be defended because we aren't saying anything nasty about them. Sharpei was simply stating something that happend, which she was annoyed about, and the topic went from there. No body has said a bad word about little dogs, as we've said before, most of us own them! BUT we do have a problem with owners who think this ridiculous behaviour is CUTE, how many big dog owners think its cute when their dog is latched on to someones hand? The reason this topic is little dog specific is simply because its the attidude of little dog owners that generally doesn't occur in big dog owners that we are ranting about. Not saying that ALL little dog owners have this attitide, I know I don't, but those who do you must admit it is very annoying! :agrue:

“[b]A little Doggie Rant (no offense to small dog owners[/b])”

“A quick and sharp tap on that [b]smartass little nose [/b]put him in his place.”
“cute' at all about [b]little unleashed, untrained monsters [/b]pestering big dogs”

“[b]little terrorists [/b]come up to our big dogs
if a [b]small terrorist [/b]comes up to my dog snarling and yapping”

“Much as I love all dogs I will deliver sharp and well placed kick to any [b]little untrained monster [/b]who tries to attack my dog”

“[b]little evil, dumb dustmop thing of a dog[/b]”

From the NEWS ALERT forum

“Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:06 pm Post subject: Pitbull attack on Shitsu
Don't you just LOVE the little tidbits they add into stories to make pit bulls seem like they are HORRIBLE beasts?

And the report even spelled shih tzu wrong! And it's pit bull NOT pitbull...
Pitbulls Tear Shitsu To Pieces
I HATE those bias remarks. Lucky to be alive my a**. If the pit bulls would have WANTED to attack her they WOULD have. But guess what...they were going after THE DOG NOT THE WOMAN! I would LOVE to have a word with these so-called police officers. GRRRRRR! “

I think the reason people are getting defensive about this thread is because some of the comments come across as being negative about small dogs. Even the title starts off as being negative. Even if that wasn't the original intent, thats how it sounds. I realize that many members on this forum have the larger breeds and that everyone has a preference to the type dog or breed that appeals to each indivdual but we all as dog lovers need to remember that it's irresponsible owners that always contributes to negative reputation of any breed. I was reading the thread under News Alert and the post about the Pit attacking and killing the Shih Tzu even came across negative about small dogs. The poster was more upset about those "biased remarks" than the fact that a dog was killed. I have always had dogs in my life, mostly big dogs. Now that I'm older & for the first time own a Toy breed. They are easier for me to take care of, walk, groom, carry, etc. They fit into my lifestyle and health abilities more. I love them dearly and would NEVER let them out the front door off leash just as I would have never allowed any dog off leash. I have a vacation home out in the country and the only dogs roaming free and off leash are the Pits that live near. They do run at adults, children and people walking their dogs on leash. It's so bad that nobody can walk there dogs (big or small)or children. People have asked the owners to please do something with their dogs,(they do not have a fenced yard) and their response is that "they would never bite anyone". Any dog has the potential to bite and if the Pit were to bite someone I will guarantee that it is going to do more damage than the bite of a 5 pound dog. No dog large or small is cute when it's untrained, unruly and unsupervised. It's the irresponsible pet owner whom leaves a bad taste in our mouth for any breed.

[quote name='Bentleythewonderdog']“[b]A little Doggie Rant (no offense to small dog owners[/b])”

“A quick and sharp tap on that [b]smartass little nose [/b]put him in his place.”
“cute' at all about [b]little unleashed, untrained monsters [/b]pestering big dogs”

“[b]little terrorists [/b]come up to our big dogs
if a [b]small terrorist [/b]comes up to my dog snarling and yapping”

“Much as I love all dogs I will deliver sharp and well placed kick to any [b]little untrained monster [/b]who tries to attack my dog”

“[b]little evil, dumb dustmop thing of a dog[/b]”

[/quote]

Each and every one of those refers to untrained unleashed dogs who's owners don't take responsibility of their dog. You sound like a very responsible dog owner. I would kick ANY dog, big or small that tried to attack my dogs, which would probably be for the dogs own good as Chaos would probably kill it if she had the chance. I don't see this thread as negitive about small dogs, I see it as being annoyed by the owners of the dogs that cause them to be terrors. Theres no reason for any dog to be an untrained terror, but people seem to think because a dog is small it dosn't need the same training as a larger dog.

[quote]“A quick and sharp tap on that smartass little nose put him in his place.”[/quote]

this was a description of how the dog was behaving at the time, and what I did to stop him from biting me. I didnt dislike the dog, and I did take his owner to task for it.

I have large dogs. I have referred to the Foxhound (in these posts) as
having an "annoying bay", "damn countersurfer", "sneaky", "a wimp"....

I have referred to the Lab as "untrustworthy", "intolerant", "not safe around kids/strangers"......

these are all descriptive FACTS about my own dogs....does that mean I dont like large dogs either?

it's a human trait to make less-then-nice commentary about something that has aggravated you. I have made some about my son...does that mean I dont like him?

I personally feel this has been taken way to personally. It was never meant as an attack in general on small dogs. Just one persons "rant" (as stated in the title) and other peoples opinions on the subject.

I don't get the logic... we can do the Pit Bull and "bad" dog thing to death around here, but let someone express their disgust about irresponsible small dog owners and all h*ll breaks loose. Pheh! If it bugs you, avoid it, that simple. The original poster of this thread had a perfectly valid point when she pointed out that [u]had the same situation been reversed and it had been her larger, more "vicious" (perceived) breeds doing the attacking, she could have faced much stiffer penalties rather than having it laughed off[/u]. How often do you see a call for small breed bans due to irresponsible ownership as is the case with the bigger breeds, both victims of irresponsible ownership? Still think that it's a one size fits all situation and that "all" dogs are treated equally? I also don't necessarily buy that generically labeled crap of "bigger dogs can do more damage, therefore the need for more concern." While that's true on the surface, I don't buy it as a defense of irresponsible small dog owners. A small dog is perfectly capable of killing a small child and it has happened. I don't think anyone here is stupid enough to need the sermon on "any dog can bite" since it's blatantly obvious and gets beat to death in each and every Pit Bull and "vicious" dog thread. I think we get the picture. It's certainly been drawn enough. While *W*E* K*N*O*W* that *A*N*Y* dog can bite, *T*H*I*S* thread was about irresponsible [u]small[/u] dog owners. Owners of much maligned breeds like Pit Bulls, German Shepherds, Chows, etc., have every right in the world to be p*ssed off about irresponsible small dog owners because the former are under much closer scrutiny than small dog owners. If you think it's that silly, atrocious, offensive, stupid, unnecessary, the choice is there to avoid it altogether and go post on those topics which you seem passionate about... the general "any dog can bite" fluff and stuff posts. OR, here's a thought, you could actually DO something about it like promote owner education so these little darlin' don't get such a bad rap. If there weren't so many irresponsible people letting them get away with murder, there wouldn't be that reputation to defend, now would there? It's what the responsible Pit Bull (that you obsess on) owners do... they don't just p*ss and moan about their bad reputation on an internet forum. They are actually involved in trying to promote responsible ownership, discourage irresponsible ownership, and show what a GOOD representative of their breed is supposed to be.

I still don't understand why one would be so offended if it doesn't apply to them. If your dogs are well behaved and well mannered, more power to you for doing the right thing.

I'm not attacking any of you, I'm just pointing out why people take it wrong. I'm not upset about anything, but the written word comes across differently than when someone can see facial expression, tones, etc. The things I quoted are samples of what people may get upset about, just as some of you may get upset when someone makes reference to a Pit, a chow, etc. as something like a man eating, killing machine. I love all dogs, I admire the beauty in each breed, each breed has it's own unique qualities that make every one of them wonderful. As a dog lover I would never be critical of any of them, we all agree it's the owners we have problems with. Guess that's what makes us "dog people". As a dog lover I would find it difficult to kick any of them....it would have to be a major threat for me to harm a dog and I just don't see a 5 pound maltese being a major threat. Just pointing out why some may take offense.

I accept that as being true of you, from what you have posted, and I believe it...However, I HAVE to ask....

If a small dog (or a mid sized one) latched onto your ankle, you wouldnt kick it to get it off? I am sorry, but I will not allow a dog to bite me, under any circumstances, and if that meant kicking it to make it go away, I would do that. Not to hurt it necessarily, just to make it stop. Just like the two fingered snap....I have never been bitten. and dont intend to be....

On a side note, I've never met a dog that TRIED to bite me, except the dachsund...I get along with almost all of them, and if they seem aggressive I stay out of their way. The two next door dont like me, but they dont like anybody so I'm not real concerned....

8) 8) 8) 8)

I guess when I think of kicking a dog I vizualize giving it a good solid kick in the side or it's face with intent on hurting it. If I felt the tiny dog was going to cause extreme injury to myself or others I might give it the boot but like I said, only if it was going to cause major damage and I can't see my boot making contact with 2-7 pound dog. Of course I would defend myself from a dog attack but only if there was no other way to prevent serious injury. I have been bitten in the face by a Boston Terrier, it was sudden and unexpected. I guess I hold out hope that there will be a responsible owner that would control the animal but we know thats not always the case.

The thread is about small, untrained dogs running loose and causing havoc. Not about well trained or well behaved small dogs walking on lead with their responsible owners.

Hardly a day goes by here, when walking my large dogs that we do not encounter a small dog or two running ahead of its owner and barking and snapping at my large dogs who are on lead. These small dogs get away with this unacceptable behaviour because their owners let them. It is quite clear to me the fault and blame lies with the owners who think it it 'cute' as previously stated.

I will certainly deliver a kick to any small dog who latches onto my big dog. If the situation was that my big dog retaliated and defended itself there is a strong possibility that the little aggressor will be hurt. That is where the media reports [b]'Rottweiler attacks Maltese, Shih Tsu[/b], ( put any small breed in here) and the Rottweiler pays the price

I am not prepared to allow a news report that denigrates my breed, who is already shown in a bad light in the media,caused by a little untrained white fluffy whose owner thinks it is cute to see their untrained little monster facing off and attacking my dog. It is in no way 'cute'. These owners not only cause trouble for other well behaved dogs but their little fluffies are also in danger of being hurt. Don't these owners care?

Strangely enough these off lead little monsters are the very dogs who have no recall at all. I just can't understand owners who allow their own dogs to cause problems and at the same time put their dogs lives at risk.

The bottom line for me is. I will not allow your badly behaved dog to cost the life of my dog. I will do whatever it takes to protect my dog.
How many times have we seen reports of large dogs being destroyed due to an attack on a smaller one even if the small dog was off lead?

Well to keep all the people who are busy getting offended at this thread happy, I'll have my own little rant, about big dogs... even though this topic was origionally about small dogs!

It bothers me when big dog owners think their dog wouldn't hurt a fly, so keep it unchained with the gate open to wonder the streets as they please. Aside from the obvious chance that it could get hit by a car etc, I get TERRIFIED when one comes near me or one of my dogs while on a walk. One snap from a dog even a cocker spaniel size could instantly kill Montie. He's nearly been killed before and I don't know what I'd do without my little mont-sta. The attitude that pisses me off hear, as opposed to owners thinking thier little dog is "cute", is when the owners actually look offended and say "he wouldn't hurt anything" when their dogs come racing up to mine and I quickly pick them up. How am I supposed to know that? Their dog should be under control, what if for some reason they took a disliking to Montie? I try taking different routes while walking Montie and Cassie to avoid these terrorists from racing out of their yard and giving me a heart attack. To be honest, I think that anyone who owns a dog should have it confiscated if they can't or wont keep it under control :evil:

Or maybe we should start another thread about how much poor little misunderstood darlin's are terrorized by big, mean dogs. It's been done to death, but let's do it some more. I don't know what part of "yeah, irresponsible dog ownership sucks" people aren't understanding. I don't understand what there is to debate. Some people are just p*ssed off that someone addressed the issue of irresponsible small dog ownership and absolutely insist on believing that we are categorically claiming that all small dogs are evil.
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0ZQDfAnEflEYn5YnL00k!DWMkMJdh4FzliTKiKRvBvIMg5WjmFG!gXwWfO3q536t5JSsFh3bb7EBhDKWqIPqXzXaOaILgFvw6VON*XMDHERLgvdFIe309riYDjI7Iz*6utYlRtNg6ZHLgGY!6lNRIEw/la%20la%20la%20la.gif?dc=4675382217526523049[/img]

I reckon I'm just disappointed. The concept is SO simple. I assumed we all knew that ANY dog can be a butthead without having to actually point it out over and over, but the whole point of this thread originally was just a vent that someone had about how people think it's cute to let little dogs aggress. I'm just taken aback that this is such an offensive observation, or such a difficult concept to grasp. The only people I could imagine having any problem with it are the very people who would encourage their own dogs' ill manners as being "cute." *shrug*