Dogomania

What things have your dog's destroyed??

Malamum

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel better knowing I don't have the only destructive dog out there. (he seems almost normal now. :lol: )

Things bk has destroyed/chewed over the years:
side gate
garage (he "rearranged" the contents including clothes, books, tools, furniture, it was all in the backyard one night!)
my antique watch I foolishly left on the coffee table when I had a 5 minute shower (it still work, but I still have the toothmarks in the back to prove it!)
garden hose
several wooden fences
the side boards on the outside of the house
several rats (outside rats)
a couple of birds
almost a possum
Rinny's ear (he took a chunk out of it one night when Rinny tried to muscle in on his dinner)
Rinny's tennis balls (you'd throw the ball for Rinny, who loved tennis balls, and bk would go after it and get it and run off and peel all the felt off them, poor Rinny always looked so sad!)
Soccer balls, cricket balls, basketballs
Socks, undies, scarves, doona covers, blankets etc.
The axe handle
the outdoor furniture he chewed on when we took the axe off him

that's all I can think of for now. :drinking:

Gee...I feel like a very lucky woman. Whitney has never destroyed or chewed anything. Even all her stuffies were always in pristine condition...until Mason came along.

Mason's idea of playing with stuffies is to see how fast he can disembowl them. Naturally, he doesn't get access to them very often. Aside from that, he's never destroyed or chewed anything while living with me. He did however destroy one thing when he was about 6 months old. I'd left him with Whit's breeder for a week while I was out of town and she told me that he totally chewed up a brand new sandal.

I've gotta say that I did "hold my breath" a bit when we replaced the family room sofa last fall with a leather one. Both kids have full access to the family room when we're out and the fist time I left them I said a prayer for the sofa. Neither of them have laid a tooth on it and I've got to say that leather is the way to go if you've got dogs! Cleans up so easily and looks great.

JEEEEEZ! This is a hysterical post. I feel sooooooooooooooo much better knowing that my doggies are not misfits - rather they are the norm! No matter how good they have it - they will find trouble!

Riley's Destruction (Cattledog mix):
- TV remote
- pillowcases
- 6 prs of shoes
- 3 garden hoses (I know, you would think I'd get the picture)
- 1 bootleg audio tape - irreplaceable and very valuable :evil:
- 4 or 5 rugs - I've lost track
- 2 doggie beds
- 1 crate pad
- 2 doggie dishes
- Numerous wrapped christmas presents - dunno what they were since they ended up in her stomach :o
- napkins, newspaper, any kind of paper
- 1 jug of motor oil
- 1 cooler/thermos
- Outdoor patio set - cushions

Rusty (have only had him for 2 weeks - Saint/foxhound mix)
- Living room Wood Blinds ruined (with plenty of nose snot on the window!)
- kitchen cabinets gnawed on
- Crate pad
- Today: 1/2 pan of brownies and 1lb of raw chicken thawing in the sink
- More to come???

Really, Nancy? I have been considering leather furniture because I believed it would be soooo much easier to keep clean, but I was worried about punctures. I do *try* to keep my gang's nails ground back, but I'm not always as diligent as I should be :oops: . The furniture sales lady that I spoke to about the leather told me that it was nearly impervious to nail punctures, but I am sort of a cynic when it comes to sales pitches.

In the future, my home will have no carpet, no curtains (blinds and shutters only), and leather (or its cheaper, more easily replaceable equivalent) furniture.

I reckon I really am lucky that my gang isn't that destructive. That thing with the window is the worst that has ever been done and there was only ONE culprit trying to get at a squirrel outside. There are always eight dogs in my house, sometimes nine (at the moment) when an additional furry guest stays, but my carpet and belongings are all in really good shape. I have only one really serious chewer in the bunch (Perry, the Standard Poodle), but as long as I don't leave anything laying out that ought not be (clothing!!), he doesn't bother the furniture or anything else. He's also a stuffy toy disemboweler, so he doesn't get them unsupervised (ever since he pooped a virtually whole towel not too long ago... didn't mind the chewing until I realized he was EATING them :-? ).

I really ought not complain about my eight. For there to be that many, there has been VERY minimal damage done here, the window being the worst (and she lost her privileges after that :x ). No carpet stains, no tears, no chewed furniture (well, ok, the very corner of a desk when Chico was a puppy... my fault for not watching because at that time, he was the ONLY dog in the house).

Of course, you never know where you're going to find hair around here. :-?

Guest Anonymous

Cody and Zoey have BOTH eaten the following:

* Kitchen chairs ( 3 out of 4 ) :evil:

* remote control for my satelite the upstairs and the down stairs

* So many pairs of socks and undies i can't count i'd guess about ummm.. 50

* my cute flip flops from old navy.. All 3 pairs.....

* the trash

* the rubber stoppy thing so the door doesn't hit the wall ( 3 of them )

* mail, newspapers....

if i can think of anything else i'll let you know.., lol

oh their toys.. boy they last like umm 2 mins...

Guest Anonymous

i forgot to add. my husbands combat boots and both of their doggy b eds... stuffing and ceadar chips EVERYWHERE :oops:

Things the dogs have destroyed

-the ropes out of 5 kongs and 2 puppy kongs (never the adult kongs though)
-the paint on one 4inch/10cm section of baseboard near the door to the yard which the dogs lick off if I don't notice they want out
-hand made, well used and much loved, mead mug
-underwear and socks of course
-enough tennis balls to supply a public school
-three frizbees
-a few stuffed animals but they were the dogs anyway
-more paper and tissue than I care to remember
-the end of a 100ft ethernet cable
-the tv remote and [color=green]THE EXACT SAME TV REMOTE REPLACEMENT I WENT TO SO MUCH TROUBLE TO GET[/color]
And last but not least (and by the way I think this demonstrates the border collie work ethic nicely) the [color=blue]very neat[/color], [color=darkblue]perfectly triangular [/color]shaped hole in the [color=blue]extreme bottom right corner[/color], with all the [color=darkblue]edges cleanly trimmed[/color] away of the baby gate meant to keep him in the kitchen (He is perfectly capable of jumping/climbing it but I guess he wanted to make a point.)

[color=red]The only thing I truly lament is the mead mug. My brother is sort of upset about the tv remote though . . . it was his.[/color] :angel:

Max (my Staffy Bull) destroyed a LOT of stuff when he was a bit younger. He still has the potential but I've learned from experience and he doesn't have run of the house when I'm gone. Most of this stuff was destroyed due to my own stupidity! Here's the list (this is just what I can remember off the top of my head):

2 couches (destoyed by ripping the cushions to shreds)

1 Chair that folded out into a single bed (same method as couches)

2 coffee tables

1 doggie bed

2 plastic food bowls

1 nylon leash

numerous "indestructable" dog toys (only Kongs survive for any length of time, especially the black ones)

Numerous rugs (I lost count too)

Numerous decorative pillows

3 remote controls (2 TV and 1 VCR)

Numerous baseball caps (usually my favorite ones because they're readily accessable)

Numerous pairs of shoes (mostly belonging to a girl I was dating at that time)

1 book entitled something like "Secrets Your Dog Doesn't Want You to Know" (SERIOUSLY!!!)

1 Steve Garvey rookie (baseball) card in thick plastic case

1 cashmire sweater

Okay that's all I'm going to list because I'm starting to get sick to my stomach. I'm sure there's more!

Guest Anonymous

Ok as of this morning i can add 3 rugs............. they never ate them so i thought iw as was safe. i took all the stuff out of my kitchen/dinning room that they could eat.. sine i only have 1 kennel ( on my way to get a 2nd ) i thought they would be ok.. NOPE they ate the rug under my table, the rug in front of my kitchen door, AND the rug to my front door... gesh... at least my dogs arent' the only ones eating things... but my list keeps getting longer..... :( can't wait until i get the 2nd kennel... then maybe when they are grown up and not "teenagers" anymore they can be out of them........ *sigh* :drinking:

Okay you guys -- I am reading your lists with growing astonishment!! How can you afford to replace all your stuff? :o :o

I think we should begin to tally the dollar amount of the stuff our dogs have destroyed and just see what it adds up to! I bet we would be amazed!! :wink:

Yogi-my chewer who is now chewing at the Rainbow Bridge incurred these expenses. Here is my estimate of replacement costs of three antique kitchen chairs, baseboard and doorjam trim, and multple screen windows (courtesy of Ben):

[color=red]$250.00[/color]

I have not included their toys since I expect them to be chewed up! This amount is NOTHING compared to the costs your pets have incurred! Who among us has the "Most Expensive" dog/dogs?

I had to edit this post for clarity... :oops:

Guest Anonymous

I would have to say probally closer to $450-$500....... :( all the rugs and re motes and everything.. they add up...

I have got :lilangel: :lilangel: :lilangel: we get a shar-pei magazine every quarter. In the last one there was an article about Gladis (when she cut her foot) I left the magazine on the floor after I had been reading it.
Gladis got it she ripped that page out and chewed it to bits but only the page about her. Have I got a dog that can read :question:

I started to try to estimate the dollar value of everything Max had destroyed at one point and I stopped when I was well over $1,000! That's true! Of course I was using the value of what each item would cost brand new and some of the stuff was older... BUT STILL!!!

I had to stop because I was becoming nauseous and I feared that I might go strangle him

Guest Anonymous

Hey, can I nomoinate my cat??? LOL. He has chewed up shoes, boxes of cereal, loaves of bread, hot dog buns, my broom, and countless other things around the house!

My retriever mxi Blonde has a special appetite for my... [b]Orchids ![/b]. During her puppyhood, she had destroyed three Cattleya and two very expensive chinese orchids in ONE day. I remembered that day I left het in the backyard alone for doing her own business and fresh air. Half hour later, I found her surrounded by scattered orchids leaves and she WAS chewing my chinese orchids' roots! She seemed enjoy a lot the fat juicy roots the orchids had. That day alone cost me more than $200! Vote as one of my most memoriable day :evil:
Other "cliche" type destruction I am not bothered to list, such as Dr. Martin boots, Kraft cheese, Honda Accord rear bumper, Giant bike tire, Netflix DVD as frisbee, Half of my wife's made birthday cake for me.... :evilbat:

Jeeeze! How can I still crazily love her like I did for the past 1 and half year?

Guest Anonymous

Here's Coal's list (so far :o )
* Pictures (from a camera and one's I've drawn) of Hazel :evil: :evil:
* The foot stool
* Handle on the couch
* My fave pillow
* my blanket (putting patches on it :lol:
* my chair at my fort
* my LOTR book two
* Only two puppy toys have survived, "Fuzzy bone" (which has seen better days) and "Chewy bone". And there have been MANY toys. :o

I duno where he's even getting it... a blanket maybe? But he's ALWAYS CHEWING ON FLUF! Like stuff form a teady bear or something!!
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwB4KI8Vuw5ZWxOWKcWjm6sq6oSu9AzUCeK*OnPTkH0upPR2Zpb04NEqviQU*lqFgXh8YG6ZGiHPzJyHKaFltnxljPig5DsXbhtRQ6YCE*8/flulf%20mouth.jpg?dc=4675429730403930046[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QwBDA2gU27wRHiroenNNgMJJ1Kn9H!i1WAMjr9iStE6Y7xfF*cAfGHu*AHjxyMCGFQfW90cuFtmYTarnitSsZTBZZEVSgdBlctSYXQx5Y2k/pawChewin.jpg?dc=4675425758885642127[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0PwBDA9QSl1bfgXkaCCfC1qyqYMvDz*7EVonssMI1GmjQ5LxjQb9cRTHidWgFV1LrJSMT0bYOX8iPZS0szbD1pHtHHo*CJPHd/couch.jpg?dc=4675429730568968141[/img]