Dogomania

How many of you...

primabella

[color=indigo]Got your dog from a breeder? Mickey came from a very responsible breeder (I'm very positive of that) but it was only because we had no luck finding Shelties in the shelters. I didn't even know about Petfinder at the time and I really wanted a Sheltie. Anyways, does anyone else have a dog from a breeder? Just curious to know--thanks! :P [/color]

Macy is from a GREAT Maltese breeder. We had very specific requirements for a dog, because of our neurotic kitties and Jay's allergies (plus we plan on having kids in a few years). We didn't have any luck on Petfinder, as small dogs go so quickly.

We did a lot of research before contact the breeders we did. We were very happy and impressed when we met Macy's breeder -- her dogs were beautiful, loved, healthy and very very friendly. She shows them and gets them their health checks, and several of the breeders she works with have written books on Maltese. She also told me she will ALWAYS take Macy back if we ever can't keep her (fat chance! :) ). She said, "I bred her, and I'm responsible for her for the rest of her life."

[color=indigo]That's a great attitude your breeder has! Mickey's breeder also said she would be willing to take Mickey in if anything. She sometimes houses Shelties from the Canadian Sheltie Rescue and features them on her site to find homes for. She also told us that she could board Mickey if we ever go on vacation which is great because I don't really know anyone who likes dogs enough to care for one. It's been sheer luck that I found her site online but it all worked out for the best!

Thanks for posting! :D[/color]

Both of my Dobes are from breeders who are members of the Doberman Pinscher Club of America. Both breeders have produced multiple champions as well as dogs who have done well in performance events. Both breeders health test and both have lines known for excellent temperament and longevity.

Whitney's breeder has become a close personal friend since it just happens that she lives nearby. I have left both of my kids with her on the rare occasions when I've gone out of town to somewhere that I can't bring dogs to. I've also kept the occaisonal dog for her.

Mason's breeder lives in Texas so, I don't get to see her very often. Although Mason's breeder is in Texas, Whitney's breeder's stud dog was Mason's sire so Whitney's breeder has a vested interest in him too. Not to say that Mason's breeder doesn't! :)

My pup was from a friend breeder. I started fostering my pup at 5 weeks because she was not eating and getting pushed out (She was getting pretty weak) So i took her home and gave her that extra love and feeding that she needed.I also brought her to the mama and pups every other day so they could be together. At 8 weeks i did not expect to get so attached to her and ended up buying her from my freind at 8 weeks. I'm glad i have her, she is the best baby-dog ever. I couldn't ask for a better dog.

Rosie was from a breeder and when we go on holiday 8) she looks after both of them for us. I know I can trust her and they seem happy there. Although she breeds English Setters her husband loves Irish Setters so he is happy when we leave Ruby with them. :lol:

We got Ruby from a breeder in Nottingham.

[quote name='Nancy B']Both of my Dobes are from breeders who are members of the Doberman Pinscher Club of America. Both breeders have produced multiple champions as well as dogs who have done well in performance events. Both breeders health test and both have lines known for excellent temperament and longevity.

Whitney's breeder has become a close personal friend since it just happens that she lives nearby. I have left both of my kids with her on the rare occasions when I've gone out of town to somewhere that I can't bring dogs to. I've also kept the occaisonal dog for her.

Mason's breeder lives in Texas so, I don't get to see her very often. Although Mason's breeder is in Texas, Whitney's breeder's stud dog was Mason's sire so Whitney's breeder has a vested interest in him too. Not to say that Mason's breeder doesn't! :)[/quote]

NancyB, I went to your breeders site about a week ago(I was bored and loved your beautiful dogs) and on thier website it said that one of the Dobe's won something (I forgot what) and it was the record for the breed, that the Dobe was the youngest ever... :D I was really impressed! :D :D :D

I love both of your dogs! TOO beautiful! :D :D :D

[quote name='primabella'][color=indigo]Thanks for sharing your stories everyone. Nancy B, is that your Dobe in your avatar? What a beauty! :o
Angelboddy, is that little 8 week puppy the one in your avatar? :D [/color][/quote]

Yes, that is my pretty Nostalgia (aka baby-dog)! :D
But she is not eight weeks in that picture, she is 2 years old.
A very good girl, but active to. Shes not bad in the house, but she does the doggie five-hundreds out back a lot. :lol:

[quote name='primabella'][color=indigo]Thanks for sharing your stories everyone. Nancy B, is that your Dobe in your avatar? What a beauty! :o
[/color][/quote]

Thank you! Yes, that's my girl Whitney. :D
[img]http://www.whitneyandmason.com/images/Home%20Pics/WhitAzalea2Q5.jpg[/img]

Here's my boy, Mason.
[img]http://www.whitneyandmason.com/MasonAzelea2Q5.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Rowie-the-Pooh']
NancyB, I went to your breeders site about a week ago(I was bored and loved your beautiful dogs) and on thier website it said that one of the Dobe's won something (I forgot what) and it was the record for the breed, that the Dobe was the youngest ever... :D I was really impressed! :D :D :D

I love both of your dogs! TOO beautiful! :D :D :D[/quote]

Thnks so much!!! :D

That dog would be Banner, Ch Kaliber's Flagship. Banner won winners dog at the Dobe National one year. the youngest dog to ever do that. The Dobe national is a very big deal....10 solid days of showing, agility obedience and all kinds of stuff. There are hundreds of Dobes in competiton!

Whit's breeder is getting set to do a major revision of her website. I've given her a bunch of new photos for Mason.....stuff that I don't have on my site. She she also needs to update titles...all the dogs have many more titles than the website shows!

[quote name='Nancy B'][quote name='Rowie-the-Pooh']

I love both of your dogs! TOO beautiful! :D :D :D[/quote]

Thnks so much!!! :D

That dog would be Banner, Ch Kaliber's Flagship. Banner won winners dog at the Dobe National one year. the youngest dog to ever do that. The Dobe national is a very big deal....10 solid days of showing, agility obedience and all kinds of stuff. There are hundreds of Dobes in competiton!

Whit's breeder is getting set to do a major revision of her website. I've given her a bunch of new photos for Mason.....stuff that I don't have on my site. She she also needs to update titles...all the dogs have many more titles than the website shows![/quote]

Oh wow! :D That must have been hard work!!

Your dogs are too beautiful Nancy! I swear! So elegant, so pretty! I think you should enter them in Prim's contest for best coat! :D

I bought both of my dogs as pups so they in a way came from breeders but it is not the typical kind of breeder. Jacks just recently were accepted into the AKC (urgh) so until recently they were not shown in that kind of forum. Most jack breeders breed for hunting, but usually hunters just breed their own dogs. Usually there is one or two out of the litter that show little to no hunting ability. That is how I got Mary. The family does not breed regularly, but did so that they could retire some of their older dogs and get dogs with the temperment etc they prefer for hunting. Mary loves the chase but she would never follow a fox into a hole, let alone be able to bolt it. HA!

Stew came from a friend I met on the internet that uses her male for stud. I love Willy, he is a really great jack. When I mentioned I was looking for another pup she arranged for me to get pick of the litter. Now we have Stewie!!

So they sort of came from breeders, just not the kind most people are used to. Some might even call them BYB but I know them well enough to know they are not.

• 2 weeks later...

I want a Dobe, I want a Dobe, I want a Dobe *stops drooling* :lol:

You can probably tell BK didn't come from a breeder- but we love him anyway. However I did see a blue heeler cross puppy that looked EXACTLY LIKE HIM at a PET SHOP selling for $400. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Kato came from a breeder. I really wouldn't get a Shiba from anywhere else. Most Shibas in this country come from mills and they have all kinds of problems - loose patellas, seizures, and bad temperments. It's awful to see someone shell out thousands of dollars for 2 knee surgeries for the petstore puppy they bought on impulse. And I hate to say it, the same thing goes for rescued Shibas. They are usually the cast off petstore dogs. I didn't feel like rolling the dice hoping I'd get a healthy dog. I think I did the best I could and I expect my little buddy will be with me a long time.

Indy also came from a breeder. I chose this route for the following reasons (in no particular order of importance)

1. I definatley wanted an Alaskan Malamute
2. I wanted a puppy
3. This is my first dog and I wanted to train him myself. I don't think I am experienced enough to correct bad habbits that someone else has instilled - especially with such a dominant breed.
4. Health issues. I wanted the healthiest puppy I could get. I would be heartbroken to have a dog go through the pain of HD. I know there are never any absolute guarantees but going on the Sire and Dam's OFA results I would say the odds are in Indy's favour.

Health issues were another issue for me. While Malts aren't prone to some of the terrible defects that other breeds are (like heart-valve probs in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels), I was worried about taking in a dog only to lose it, or spend thousands of dollars on surgery.

That said, I am happy that I adopted a "retiree." Macy is only 5 and has plenty of energy left. She is well-trained and well-socialized, and we didn't have to go through any of the trying puppy behaviors :)

i was following my breed for 9 years wen a went to go to a show in a city 7 km from my home and sa the breeder a have my pup from6 monts from
the breeder is my friend now a vissit him every 4 weeks to see his pup and show my pup he is my friend for life

greetings from the netherlands
Edwin Hendriks
[url]www.thai-ridgeback.tk[/url]

[url=http://www.phpbb.com/][img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0cADRAhciwIfYbFu9rM4a9JRl9vojtaT5WNW4Dog32!nATyLh20tvtZKnxL3rcnFWU6911LGLVYCjecdtTcEO5U6xRSxHwlFr0c0aTbeI!uGzVJKkfdcAQ3*svLTEA0NKtc4lNxjYueyFTSj8oF1NhzVsFVoGoqNUKGNvbXBhdGk/Edwin%20en%20Kena%20%20show%20stand.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.phpbb.com/][img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0ZAA4M4UeNw7YbFu9rM4a9JRl9vojtaT56BfEkvAe9GFyGRwsYkoYb978Yv1wT7bs3llgxZuojaHJtkSs4RepbwIcvwiaPqP8jTCyeK46W2Kuy280!YLC542a3jWoQXCrmmvWCDGg86!Vdz3Jt4SDVA/Edwin%20en%20Kena%20zit.jpg[/img][/url]

Duan the father of my dog

[url=http://www.phpbb.com/][img]http://members.home.nl/jekena3d/cu2/DUAN-DUAN.jpg[/img][/url]