Dogomania

dog doesn't bark!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

How come my dog won't bark when someone rings or knocks on my front door! he just walks over and looks to see.

My husband thinks this is a sign that he won't response if someone
breaks in the house.

d.

Guest Anonymous

:lol:

I should be so lucky. I spend most of my time trying to get my 3 to shut up!! One tiny little squeak in the floor will set them off and it can take minutes just to get them to stop. The little rascals egg each other on. Tell your hubby I'd rather have his problem!! :D

:D :D :lol:

Dog won't bark, you should be so lucky. I have two that think it's necessary to talk to the children behind us while they are jumping on their trampoline and they also talk to their saint bernard friend who live next door, and of course there is always the last word contest between all three of my babydogs when I tell them to stop.

:angel:

Guest Anonymous

tell your husband that i said "count your blessings". Dogs have the ability to sense true danger and if someone broke into the house most will at the very least bark. if he did have a dog that barked he would more than likely be telling it to be quiet anyhow. so he should enjoy thre silence and take relief in the fact that he goes to the door to check it out in the first place.

Guest Anonymous

(This is the dog that won't bark!)
His name is Duke a german Shepherd! He's 10 months old and weights 95 pds.

d

Want to trade? My dogs like to bark at "guests". They just do...

Want to know what is really funny? If one of my dogs barks about something...the other two start barking. And they usually don't know what they are barking at, so they turn round and round in circles and they just look lost!!! :lol:

I wish they were barkless!!

Indy doesn't bark when someone knocks at the door either but will go with who ever answers it to check out who is there.

However the other week my b/f went out and as I was going to pick him up I was having a nap on the lounge waiting for him to ring. He however got a lift home and apparently was knocking on the door for quite a few mintues. I was fast asleep and had no idea someone was at the door. Well in this case Indy gave the deepest bark I have ever heard and in fact sounded quite menacing - it jolted me awake straight away.

We think in this case he barked because I was unaware there was someone at the door :niewiem:

Yep, Hippo doesn't bark either--almost in no occasion--but we got locked outside our apartment and had to call the landlord to let us in... while he was fumbling with the keys trying to see which ones of his many keys fit our door, Hippo, who knew we were on the other side, was raising hell, barking and whining really loudly... I'm sure the landlord appreciated our "quiet" dog :lol:
So I don't think you should worry: he'll bark when he thinks it's necessary.

Does your dog bark at other things? Like cats, other dogs?

My dog Zebra dosn't bark when someone is at the back door either...he just gives a very low very scary growel...but if he sees a cat...forget it...he is sooo loud and noisy! :roll:

Oh, your so lucky! :roll:

Rowie never used to bark, and soon I started getting worried! :lol: But then some people moved next door, and they had THREE REALLY niosy dogs! :lol: Now, Rowie barks every time they bark! And they bark every time some one passes thier house! :o And then when they hear Rowie bark, they bark louder, and then Rowie barks back at them...and so on till I tell Rowie to be quiet! :roll: (But she rarely listens to me! :oops:)

Alot of dogs wont bark until they are at least a year old. Lily never used to bark for ages, then, sure enough one day she let out a couple of barks when the other dogs did and now she'll bark whenever she feels the need.
Another thing, Duke may not bark when you're in the house as he may not feel the need, though I'm sure if you were away and someone was banging on the door he'd get more protective and guard the house.
I really don't think you've anything to worry about, give him time and he'll get more protective instincts and you'll begin to wish he'd shut up! :lol:

Kiwi, that sounds like a terrible idea!!!! Its more than likely only going to lead to an aggressive, unpredictable dog that may attack someone and have to be put down!!! I think your trainer needs some re training!!! :o

I too don't care much for the method of that trainer to encourage a dog to react. I would worry about encouraging inappropriate aggression in this dog.
Barking will come in time. Jesse did not really 'alarm' bark until I moved to Richmond, he was about 2.5 then. One day this guy parked his truck at my curb and was walking across my yard to knock on the door. Had windows open since it was a nice day. I could barely collect myself to tell the guy no thanks didn't want to buy beef from him as I was marveling at Jesse. He was up on the couch, staring out the window, growling very deeply and VERY seriously. woo hoo my baby was grown!
Now he barks and growls FAR too much, I tell him those nice people pushing the baby stroller have EVERY right to walk around the neighborhood.

[quote name='*marysmama*']:lol:

I should be so lucky. I spend most of my time trying to get my 3 to shut up!! One tiny little squeak in the floor will set them off and it can take minutes just to get them to stop. The little rascals egg each other on. Tell your hubby I'd rather have his problem!! :D[/quote]

REALLY !! D, I don't see a problem !! NOW, Marysmama and I have problems !! :lol: We have Jack Russells that bark at the wind !! :lol: :wink:
My Gretchen who is Rott/Lab doesn't bark either, for the most part. She emits this quiet low growly thing. Everyone is right , the dog will bark when it feels it's needed. :wink:
I used to have an Akita that would never bark before it attacked (Very dog aggressive) She could never be off lead outside the house.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Aroura']
Kiwi, that sounds like a terrible idea!!!! Its more than likely only going to lead to an aggressive, unpredictable dog that may attack someone and have to be put down!!! I think your trainer needs some re training!!! :o[/quote]

I didn't like the sound of it either and did voice my concerns :-?
The guy who suggested it wasn't my trainer, he was a retired (old school)police dog handler who was visiting for the evening, who apparently had a lot of experience with non-barking dogs (50+ years in his job, he is now in his late 70s) :niewiem:

He did say however, this technique should be only left to experienced dog handlers, but I'm still not completely sold on the idea though.
Seems to me: Shy dog (Well, any dog) + Teasing = Trouble.
But all of the instructors were very quick to defend his methods saying he was one of the best handlers in the country and we were very lucky he took the time to come to see us. :-?

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt though, I watched him with his GSDs and they were absolutely amazing the things they could do, not to mention how happy they looked. And he pretty much had a great answer for every question we had, oh and not forgetting his reputation.

Still, I'd be interested in hearing any other ideas for getting a dog to bark.
I know some dogs are late starters (I didn't realise D was still a puppy - I wouldn't worry about it in that case then) but there will be a few who probably won't bark at all.

The guy I took Tessa to training with all those years ago was also an ex police dog trainer with a so called great reputation. Fact is, not all dogs respond well to police dog training. He was very harsh and now, 4 years later, Tessa still shys when I give her commands sometimes, despite alot of reward training since then. If your dog is shy, it probably isn't suited to the kind of training used for police dogs. Have you tryed reward training? Maybe you could excite the dog into barking, then over the top reward for doing what you want. I don't know, but personally the type of training mentiond sends a shiver down my spine. :-?

barking is a warning sign - informational - and only the lower members in the pack do it. Duke may not feel he is a low member, or, since he is
a guarding breed, may feel that noise is unnecessary unless he feels
threatened. Freebee only barks if a stranger comes to the door, otherwise she is really quiet. Alex wouldnt shut up - he barked at everything. And once he started, she would join in and it sounded like a barkfest here all the time (the neighbors dogs join in too) He may just feel secure in checking out the door. If he doesnt feel threatened, he might not bark.

My old neighbors had a GSD, and it never barked (well, once in a great while) but if it suspected something was up, it would growl....

Also, wolves dont bark....not like dogs do. They make this silly "wooofffiinnnggg" sound, under their breath. Could he have wolf in him?

I think he's fine - he may even start to bark when he gets older, and then you'll wish he would shut up!! LOL

:D

[quote name='Rosebud']:D :D :lol:

Dog won't bark, you should be so lucky. I have two that think it's necessary to talk to the children behind us while they are jumping on their trampoline and they also talk to their saint bernard friend who live next door, and of course there is always the last word contest between all three of my babydogs when I tell them to stop.

:angel:[/quote]

:rofl: my lot do the "last word" thing too , when i tell them to stop barking, especailly BARNEY my JRT :lol:

[quote name='Mama A.J.']Want to trade? My dogs like to bark at "guests". They just do...

Want to know what is really funny? If one of my dogs barks about something...the other two start barking. And they usually don't know what they are barking at, so they turn round and round in circles and they just look lost!!! :lol:

I wish they were barkless!![/quote]

:rofl: my dogs also do the "running round in circles thing", when one has started barking and the other 2 just start barking although they don`t know what their barking for :roll: , and then they all run round in cicles looking at each other barking, looking lost......it`s sooooooooo funny :lol: :lol:

BK has several different types of barks and it seems we usually hear his attention seeking bark. :roll: :lol:
When he uses his serious bark it's when he does his nightly patrol round the yard and hears something he doesn't like. (when Rinny the GSD was alive and top dog he would do the patrolling and he didn't let BK bark at all!) He would always use his serious bark when I was alone with him and the doorbell rang. Whoever was on the other side always looked a little nervous when they heard him because he has a really terrific deep scary bark. I wouldn't mess with him if I didn't know him. :wink:

[quote name='courtnek']barking is a warning sign - informational - and [color=red][b]only the lower members in the pack do it.[/b][/color] Duke may not feel he is a low member, or, since he is
a guarding breed, may feel that noise is unnecessary unless he feels
threatened. Freebee only barks if a stranger comes to the door, otherwise she is really quiet. Alex wouldnt shut up - he barked at everything. And once he started, she would join in and it sounded like a barkfest here all the time (the neighbors dogs join in too) He may just feel secure in checking out the door. If he doesnt feel threatened, he might not bark.

My old neighbors had a GSD, and it never barked (well, once in a great while) but if it suspected something was up, it would growl....

Also, wolves dont bark....not like dogs do. They make this silly "wooofffiinnnggg" sound, under their breath. Could he have wolf in him?

I think he's fine - he may even start to bark when he gets older, and then you'll wish he would shut up!! LOL

:D[/quote]

I don't know about that ....... In my house my youngest Jack(1yr.) is Alpha dog and she barks her fool head off !! :o She's top dog over the older Jack (2yr.) and Gretchen (90lb,Lab/Rott, 2yr.)
Gretchen rarely barks and if serious emits a low growly sound with maybe 1or 2 serious deep barks. :wink:
I wish Maisy knew that being top dog she shouldn't bark !! :lol: :lol:

[quote name='bk_blue']BK has several different types of barks and it seems we usually hear his attention seeking bark. :roll: :lol:
When he uses his serious bark it's when he does his nightly patrol round the yard and hears something he doesn't like. (when Rinny the GSD was alive and top dog he would do the patrolling and he didn't let BK bark at all!) He would always use his serious bark when I was alone with him and the doorbell rang. Whoever was on the other side always looked a little nervous when they heard him because he has a really terrific deep scary bark. I wouldn't mess with him if I didn't know him. :wink:[/quote]

bk- do you know if most ACDs are very vocal? i keep wondering if that's why dresden is so crazy about barking all the time. i thought ACDs herded by nipping (or biting like heck if they're anything like dresden) not barking? just curious........she has a wonderful bark too :) i enjoy it when she's being watchful it's just that she does this annoying attention wanting bark that can be tremendously annoying.....