Dogomania

do you threaten your dogs?

imported_nea

And if so, with what, and is it effective?

When Web is thinking about missbehaving, or has when I've been gone, I tell him that I'll give him a [i]bath[/i]. Or that the magpies will get his food, or that his mouthstuffers will all be removed for ever and ever.. :o The outcome is usually quite good. He usually starts looking really proud and then forgets about what he was going to do! :)

I only threaten when I'm aggravated. They are going off (and Laurel's bay actually hurts the ears) and I'll yell SHUT UP OR I'LL SMACK YOU!!

they've never been smacked, they seem to respond to the anger in my voice, and quiet down.....this is after all the known training methods have been employed, and they're still wailing...

I have found it best to just get up, open the door, look around and say
"NOTHING THERE. CHILL" then they settle down. They're are only doing their jobs after all...

:drinking: :drinking:

I don't threaten the dogs much at all but my cat, her I threatened for years. I love her dearly even more so because she is so saucy and feisty but she is a bit of a regal snot and only snuggles for about 10 min a day, other than that she could care less if I'm around. I threatened her for snubbing me for 7 years: "I'll get a dog." As you've probably surmised the threat didn't work but it all worked out in the end.

Well my dogs do NOT want to please me every single minute of every single day. Sometimes, they wish to please themselves instead. Ya know, that is ok. Dogs are dogs. As long as what they are doing is not likely to cause injury or loss to them, me, or anyone else, they have SOME lattitue.
Now and then, I do (gasp!) threaten them. OK, so I am for the most part joking, but a threat is a threat right? I tell Candy I am going to 'get her butt' when she is sassing me. Or I am going to 'paddle that hiney right out in public for everyone to see'
Do I ever follow through on the threats? Nope. That is NOT to say I have not lightly popped my dogs on the rear now and then, I do save 'that ' for more serious transgressions. Do I physically hurt my dogs? Nope. I do get their attention and then reward them for their GOOD behaviour right away.

I threaten my dogs all the time. I say "stop that, or I'll beat you!" Or I tell them, "qualify this time, or I'll leave you here in the fairgrounds when I go home." Or even *gasp* "if you don't do your signals this time, there will be no hamburger on the way home!"

They never pay any attention at all. Of course, this could be because I never [i]do[/i] beat them or leave them in the fairgrounds, and they generally [i]do[/i] get a hamburger on the way home. :wink:

Sure, I threaten them to within an inch of their lives all the time. So what's your point? *snicker*

Favorite threat-
"I'll beat you to sleep and then beat you for sleeping!"

Also like-
"I killed the last dog that did that..."

Sometimes-
"Come here and let me kill you!"

Of course, the offender and his merry band of misfits usually merrily trots right on over to me and awaits the "killing." Goofballs. My dogs don't care WHAT I say as much as how I say it. I could call them stupid and ugly all day long and as long as I'm perky perky perky about it, they eat it up.

Disclaimer:
No dogs were beaten to within an inch of their lives, beaten to sleep, beaten for sleeping, insulted, or killed in any other manner for the production of this post.
8)

I threaten Zebra all the time, not that he listens to them or anything. My threats are generally:
-I swear I'll pinch your nose off!
-Do you want a spanking?
-Do we need to take this outside?
-I swear I'll sell you to the neighbor who will eat you!

The only one that works is "Lets go to bed now!", which means that he will be put in his crate. :roll:

yessiree!

Of course I usually reserve my threats for those 'special' occasions when Lyra is running rampant through the house with a pair of my undies (true to form, she only performs this endearing little 'trick' when people are visiting....ain't she cute??:roll: ), or Loki has decided to cock his leg against the big screen tv . Those are also the times when I wonder how hard it would be to convert to being a [i]feline[/i] person. :evilbat:

with zoe if she is being fussy with her dinner we tell her that she better hurry up and eat it or the pussies will come and get. I have to say with Meg I don't because she is good in all ways. yeah maybe that sounds a bit corny but she tries so hard to please that I just never have any reason to threaten her!

With Caelidh the bitch I'm training at the moment, I threaten that I will de-bark her :lol:

I threaten mine all the time

If you don't behave I'm taking you to the dogs' home. :lol:
I'm going to knock your block off when I get you home. :lol:

Of course they've never had their blocks knocked off and they're still here (for the moment). :wink: :lol: :wink:

Instead I end up hugging and kissing them (little sods). :buzi: :iloveyou: