Dogomania

Zeb has a lump (Vet Update)

StarFox

Zebra has a big lump in his lip. I noticed it last night while playing fetch with him. Last night it was about as big as a cherry pit, but it's grown in size since last night and it's very noticable. :( Also he has no hair on the lump, almost like all the hair fell off. :-?

I know he need to go to the vet to get it looked out but I don't get paid till next tuesday!! :x I want to take him to the vet on Saturday, I just hope the vet will hold my check till wensday. :-?

Carson had one of those a little while ago. It turned out that he was at the dog park 2 days before, and had gotten into a little bit of a quarrel with another dog, and we think either his tooth or the other dogs tooth periced into the inside of his lip/cheek. Put him on antibiotics and it went down really fast. Good luck at the vet!

It's not squishy, it's hard like a cherry pit. I almost want to say it's puss filled but I'm not sure. It's not hurting Zeb so I'm not worried about him being in any pain or anything. I think it's bothering me more than it is him. :oops: I'm calling tomarrow to make an appointment for Saturday after I get off of work, I just hope the vet isn't too busy on Sat. :-?

Took Zeb to the vet today. Turns out the sore on his lip is some kind of infection and it's a build up of puss. Ewww. They gave me some antibiotics to give him twice a day. The vet said that he should be fine but the lump might always be there because of scar tissue. I don't know why he is so prone to getting infections. Any little scrap, or poke gets infected. :-?

Hmmm just personal experience, but my boss always taught me that its better to drain an abscess then treat with antibiotics. He always said that if the pus is left in there then theres always opportunity for the infection to spread and cause a risk of septicaemia, which does indeed make sense. Just keep a good eye on the lump but I wouldn't even go a week if Zeb has already had it for nearly a week, and if it doesn't go down, I would personally take him in to have it lanced and drained.

how are Zeb's teeth? I ask because I had a very similar abcess caused by an infected tooth. it didnt hurt at all, just blew up out of nowhere.

the dentist didnt drain it either, the antibiotics brought it down, but maybe he has a gum infection of some sort....

just a thought....

8)