Dogomania

another use for pitbulls

imported_Kat

I have a border terrier mix who would love to join in the fun. The first week we got her she managed to knock over our hamster cage and kill the hamster. Then she brought it to my mother as a prize. She'd be good at this. My cairn would be useless though. I trained him from puppyhood to be nice to the small animals.

yeah I can see how they are certainly terriers! They really were having a field day on that programme chasing the rats and killing them. I absolutely am big time petrified of rats but I made myself watch it because there were dogs involved lol. It said nothing about vaccinations for the dogs at all and some dogs were getting bitten by the rats so thats definitely a concern. :-?

[b]We[/b] all know what terriers were bred for.

But not everyone in New York knows what terriers were bred for.

So don't you think it will add to the 'killer pitbull' stereotype?

I can just imagine seeing someone saying, "Oh, my sweet little Foo Foo would never kill any other animal. See how blood thirsty these dogs are?"

Or am I not making any sense......

Just a thought.....

This can be good or bad, IMO. Maybe this way, they'll adopt pits out of shelters to be used as ratters, and when people understand that the pits are [i]helping[/i] the community they'll probably like them more. On the other hand, people can see it as a "blood thirsy beast" type of thing, too.

At least the pits are having fun. :D

:o Well I live in New York state, (not NYC) and I've not heard a word about that......
I should think it would be a health hazard for the dogs to be killing these rats.
NYC is very dirty and the rats I should think are full of disease and infections. :x
I would be very concerned about the dogs, no matter what breed they are. :wink:

I don't think it's a matter of people not knowing what Terriers are bred for either....I think most people think of the smaller Terriers as being ratters.
And most probably I don't think most people in NYC give a rats arse who/what kills the rats as long as they're exterminated !!! :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Lucky Chaos']So, its not okay for say a "bloodthirsty pit bull" to kill a rat which most people consider pests. But when their dog kills say, a squirrel or bunny its just "natural instinct?"

The dogs could of course get dieseses, but people expect cats to kill rats and mice, can't they get dieseses too?[/quote]

If you are directing this toward me in a hostile way, then you need to re-read my post.

[b]I understand[/b] what a terrier was bred for. [b] I understand[/b] that BSL is bullshit. [b]I understand[/b] that any bully breed is a wonderful dog.

[b]JOHN PUBLIC[/b] has no idea other than what the media has brain washed them with. It's the other people out there that think any pitbull is a vicious killer and will eat your children if you let them get too close.

Remember, not everyone out there understands that dogs were bred for a purpose other than to be a family pet.

That is why the world is overrun with breed rescues and shelters.

ok dont kill me, but I think its a good idea. terriers were bred to kill vermin, rats are vermin, so why not? I hope they are vaccinated and protected of course, but remember, rats caused the plague in
europe centuries ago. and there is no cure for it still. they tend to infest cities because of the garbage, and barns because there is food available. they are terrible parasite-carrying plague bearing creatures. if the dogs are willing to get rid of them, I say go for it. just take care of the dogs

(now these are wild rats, not pets. pet rats and mice are different)

of course, Free has taken down her share of field mice and squirrels (no rats here thank goodness) maybe she would like this job???

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='courtnek'] remember, rats caused the plague in
europe centuries ago. and there is no cure for it still.[/quote]

Hey, [i]fleas[/i] caused the plague, really ;)

Actually, last night I was watching a show on Discovery called "Life of Grime: New York City," which featured rats mostly, and feral cats. One of the segments followed the landlord of an apartment building which had a vacant lot across the street from it. Thousands of rats lived in that lot, burrowed underground, and they would get into his building, so the landlord went out on a regular basis and killed rats. They showed him using a giant baseball bat, and then he brought in a Pit Bull. I didn't hear the Pit Bull's introduction, and I just assumed that it belonged to the landlord, but now I'm wondering if it wasn't part of the program Kat's talking about?

[quote name='ObedienceGrrl'][quote name='Lucky Chaos']So, its not okay for say a "bloodthirsty pit bull" to kill a rat which most people consider pests. But when their dog kills say, a squirrel or bunny its just "natural instinct?"

The dogs could of course get dieseses, but people expect cats to kill rats and mice, can't they get dieseses too?[/quote]

If you are directing this toward me in a hostile way, then you need to re-read my post.

[b]I understand[/b] what a terrier was bred for. [b] I understand[/b] that BSL is bullshit. [b]I understand[/b] that any bully breed is a wonderful dog.

[b]JOHN PUBLIC[/b] has no idea other than what the media has brain washed them with. It's the other people out there that think any pitbull is a vicious killer and will eat your children if you let them get too close.

Remember, not everyone out there understands that dogs were bred for a purpose other than to be a family pet.

That is why the world is overrun with breed rescues and shelters.[/quote]

Huh? I'm sorry I wasn't even thinking of you when I wrote that! I didn't mean it in any type of hostile way whatsoever. :o Sorry...

Oh Kat, come on. Even you can admit that this is cuuuute. :lol:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/spiralcide/baby2.bmp[/img]

My baby rats were born yesterday, I should be getting two in about 6 weeks.

Off topic sorry.

[quote]
I just saw the 'blood thirsty pitbull' thing in quotes and that was what I said people would call them....

Soooo soooo sorry, LC.

PMSing here big time....

My husband might kill me today if I don't keep my mouth shut!!
[/quote]

Its perfectly all right, I just didn;t want you to think I was slamming you or anything. :D

LC he looks like a little JRT :o I'm not too bad with some pet ones especially the parti colour ones, but I hate the solid colours. Even when we dissected them in uni I couldn't be in the same room. I know people think Im pathetic having a zoology degree and all but I really am petrified of them and burst balloons too :P

yes, fleas had the disease, but the rats were infested with the affected fleas, and thats how they got transferred to people, since rats will move into your home if they can.

I dont care for fleas, either.... :lol: :lol:

someone else said earlier that people have been using cats for millenia to kill mice and rats....I'm sure the rats bit them as well.....hmmmm....how did they, or did they, manage to stay healthy? thats a good question.
now. some of those rats in NY and Chicago are nearly as big as some cats, so maybe thats why they went to larger vermin terriers...I think rats are one of those creatures who grows to match its available food supply.

as far as bloodthirsty or natural instincts, I go for natural instincts. the people who are sponsoring and running this situation should make a point of educating the NY public about the original purpose of terriers in general, and get the "bloodthirsty" part out of it. rats have been a big
problem there, and in Chicago, and I would assume most large, crowded cities. if this info was released, it would probably make most people look differently on the Pit, as a rescuer, rather than a villain. did they mention the purpose of terriers on the show Kat? I'm sure a lot of people watched it.

as far as squirrels, I hate to disappoint but they too are members of the rodent family. rats with furry tails, or tree rats as they are fondly called around here.

Guest Mutts4Me

Hey, you can't [i]blame[/i] rats for having parasites - so not fair ;)

[quote name='Lucky Chaos']Oh Kat, come on. Even you can admit that this is cuuuute. :lol:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/spiralcide/baby2.bmp[/img][/quote]

I so want!

Both of my girls have eagerly volunteered for critter control. Brittany has always been my 'first alert' system that there was a stray mouse in the house. No rats thank you very much, just mice! Some time ago, I was out back working on something, I noticed Candy trotting about, tossing her head up, stopping, then pouncing, then starting the whole routine over. I started walking towards her, she snatched up something from the grass and trotted off, I yelled DROP IT, she did, it was a mouse. Told her what a great smart wonderful clever girl she was and lets go get a cookie! She pondered this idea for a moment, thankfully she wanted the cookie. Gave each dog enough to keep them busy and quickly disposed of the dead mouse.
I think using pbt's or other willing and able dogs to try and reduce the rats on any city is a great idea, as long as the dogs are properly cared for and vaccinated. While a dog may get bit, most dogs dispatch vermin so quickly and enthusiastically that the vermin has little chance of getting a bite in.