Dogomania

uhhh ohhhh help?

Jetta_Pup

Ok a few weeks ago i noticed a change when i go to sleep. My eyes would swell up and start watering and my nose would burn and i had trouble breathing. I could only assume it was alergies but ive never had allergies before. I started getting it through the day but no where near as bad when i would lay down in my bed. So i washed my bedding and all that good stuff. Still didnt go away. this has been going on for about 2-3 weeks. Well lastnight i layed down and NO symptoms. YaY i dont know what i did but its gone! Well then hubby let jetta out of her crate and she came running and jumped on me and gave me the good night licks and sniffs all over my face Well with in minutes i started swelling up again and eyes watering and couldnt breathe!!! IM alregic to my dog!!!!!! Ive been around dogs my whole life and ive never been alergic to anything. Could this pass? or Should i go ahead and stock up on benedryl?
Are any of you alergic to your dogs? there is NO way im getting rid of her. The allergies are annoying but then again so are my kids so i dont mind it.

allergies are weird beasts! i am allergic to just about everything outside, most things inside and especially cats! if a person at work has a cat and comes in my office my eyes start swelling from the cat dander they drag in. i love cats i just can't be around them much. i am not however allergic to dogs -- God spared me my one true passion i guess! they make a wide variety of otc and prescription allergy meds and the best thing is to try and see what works for you. i used to take benadryl but my body built up a resistance and this year i finally bit it and started on zyrtec. all these new meds advertise things like "controls indoor and outdoor" allergies. or pet specific allergies. natures miracle makes a spray to help control the dander on the dog so maybe that would help too?

I'd say stock up just in case! I have skin allergies to my dogs and cats. It's not the hair but the oils in their skin. If I hug or hold for a while any of them I break out with little red bumps all over my inner arms and it itches. But after I was those areas and get the oil off it goes away within 20 minutes. But I still hug my babies and sleep with them and hold them in my lap for hours. It will go away.
Good luck!

My mother has allergies and is asthmatic, they have a Sheltie as well and she believes that you get immune to your own dog. Her allergies still act up though if she's in a small area like in the car with him or if he's on the bed. He's actually my dads dog, my mother likes the dog but doesn't cuddle with him or take kisses or anything, just the occasional pet so that might help her allergies, that would suck though! I love to cuddle with my dog and bury my face in her fur.
My friend’s husband is extremely allergic to cats and dogs and they have two of each. He has to take a pill everyday and rotate between different allergy pills because after a while the effectiveness wears off.

Make sure Jetta has not been getting into something in the yard that perhaps you are sensitive too, such as poison ivy or other plants. Perhaps she is getting the pollen on her fur and then when she is near, you are reacting to the pollen and not her specifically.
Othwerwise, try an over the counter remedy such as Benedryl or get a prescription from your dr. If you are truly allergic to doggie dander and the allergy becomes severe, you might be able to get shots to desensitize you to the allergens.
Good luck!

I cant really say a whole lot that hasnt already been said, but yes, allergies can start at any time to anything. personally I dont like benadryl because it puts me to sleep, but if you dont find any other reason (like the pollen coming in or a new shampoo) go to your doctor and possibly asked to be referred to an allergist - there they can test you and decide what method is best for you - there are shots to help you become desenstized and tons of great prescription meds. I am allregic to most everything including cats, dogs and horses. with meds and shots I do fine around them now, but I do have to have someone else brush bongo with his ultra shedding shepard hair (the other night I did it anyway and had an asthma attack :o )
good luck!

I have had allergies to pollen and ragweed and the like but have been mostly spared with cats and dogs.... at least I thought till I started work at the humane socitey. In the dog stray area I started getting the worst eye, nose and throat problems. I went and got Alavert. It has Loratadine 10mg which is the same a Claritin (sp?). I take it once a day and it has worked wonders. My hubby is on Zyrtec and it helps alot with his allegeries(poison Ivy)
Benedryl always makes me too sleepy :-?

Have there been any changes in your pups diet, grooming, etc. If so it could be the culprit. Do you brush her teeth?
Everyone made great suggestions, I just have one thing to add: Allerpet D.
This and similar products are applied after drying after a bath. Wipe over dog with a cloth 1-3 times a week to reduce chance of having allergic reaction. Actually having someone else do the wipe down is better.

I never would have thought that I would have said this a year ago, but go pick up some homeopathic allergy pills. They work REALLY well. I used be on prescription allergy meds that did almost nothing for me and found the over the counter ones worked better, but had the side effects of either making me super drowsy or super hyper. The homeopathic ones don't cause those reactions and work like a dream.

Hey sorry i havent got to reply yet i been super busy,

[quote]Make sure Jetta has not been getting into something in the yard that perhaps you are sensitive too, such as poison ivy or other plants. Perhaps she is getting the pollen on her fur and then when she is near, you are reacting to the pollen and not her specifically.
Othwerwise, try an over the counter remedy such as Benedryl or get a prescription from your dr. If you are truly allergic to doggie dander and the allergy becomes severe, you might be able to get shots to desensitize you to the allergens.
Good luck![/quote]

I gave her a bath the otherday and sofar my symptoms have settled a WHOLE bunch. I got to thinking maybe she got into something that my nose and eyes just didnt like. There isnt any plants around here all there is is grass. I dont know what she could have got into. ill eventually figure out what was going on...i hope...lol I havent had to take any meds for the past few days. I am quite releived! :)

I've read that the dander in the fur causes allergic reactions...it makes sense since you mentioned it getting better after her bath. Here's a quote from a friend on another board:

"The dander comes from the saliva dogs get on the fur when they clean themselves. Dogs that don't shed or shed less are better for people with allergies because the dander doesn't spread as quickly. WIth dogs that shed because their hair gets everywhere that means the dander gets everywhere. Dogs such as poodles, bichons, and some of the other dogs mentioned are not totally hypo allergenic, but they will be better on your allergies since the dander isn't all over your house. You'll need to bathe them regulary to get rid of some of the dander that remains on the surface of the fur and also you may need to wash your hands after playing with them to keep you from speading the dander to your face.,"