Dogomania

Merle pit bulls?

There was a link to this on the site from the google ads.

[url=http://members.aol.com/Merlepitbulls]Platinum Kennels[/url]

All of their males are merle and the females are mostly blues. All of them have blue noses except for a few.

Another fad or what? :roll: Does anyone know how merle can be bred into a pit bull, like what colors can be bred to get it and does it occur naturally? I dont think it does but I have no idea.

They are beautiful though, arent they?!?!?

[quote name='__crazy_canine__']There was a link to this on the site from the google ads.

[url=http://members.aol.com/Merlepitbulls]Platinum Kennels[/url]

All of their males are merle and the females are mostly blues. All of them have blue noses except for a few.

Another fad or what? :roll: Does anyone know how merle can be bred into a pit bull, like what colors can be bred to get it and does it occur naturally? I dont think it does but I have no idea.

They are beautiful though, arent they?!?!?[/quote]

my understanding is that it's genetically impossible for a purebred APBT or AST to be merle.

Just another designer mutt to take advantage of a fad.

The shocking thing is that someone posted on another board that a merle won a class at an ADBA show.

Yes, the same morons who love to claim they're upholding the grand original breed.. and registering upwards of 200,000 dogs a year.

That's what I've heard. That merle Pit Bulls have something else in there-most likely Catahoula.

Here's a merle that I pulled from a shelter last year. Don't be upset at the way he looks folks. These were taken the day I pulled him.

He went on to a PBRC volunteer who fixed him up and he's doing great and in a wonderful home now.

Rocky:

[img]http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL33/1905485/3679556/60517558.jpg[/img]

i wanted to know if these were fad breeds ??
the labrdoodle lab/ standard poodle
goldendoodle goldern ret./ standard poodle
bugs pug/boston terrier
bagle beagle/bassett hound
cockapoo cockerspanial/poodle
yorkiepoo yorkie/poodle
shepoo (sp?) shitzu/poodle
i am sure there are more. are any of these aloud in the akc i dont think so. the newer ones are the goldendoodles and the labrdoodles people around here have been buying them for 350.00 and i dont understand they are a mutt ( nothing wrong with mutts some of the best dogs are mutts) is this right?? just wondering thanks if there are more you can let me know. what about the shitzu and a bulldog lol just a joke bull**** :D

Is it impossible that there has been a gene mutation to produce merl pits? Well I don't know if they are pure or not, but I do know one thing... and that is that they are absolutely adorable! That top male in the males page, what a stunner! I'd take him home any day :wink:

CKMILK, they are what you call "disigner breeds", by definition (well my definition anyway, correct me if I'm wrong!) they are just mutts with a fancy name and a heap of labels slapped on them so that the breeders can make a fortune. Breeders pretend they know what the pups will turn out to be, which is why there is a line up of them at every shelter, because they came with a list of promises which they didn't live up to. Poor darls :cry:

[quote]Oh I remember how upset I was over that dog LisaH!! I'm so happy to hear he's doing well![/quote]

I know. I'm so glad things turned out well for him. He was such a good boy here. He must have felt like crap, but in true Pit Bull style, he grinned and buttwiggled the whole time he was here :D

I can't remember whether I ever posted this one over at Graces. Amy sent me this one of him in his new home. :lol:

[img]http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL33/1905485/3679556/60516887.jpg[/img]

[quote name='__crazy_canine__'][quote name='Aroura']Is it impossible that there has been a gene mutation to produce merl pits?[/quote]

Thats what I wanna know. Kinda why I started the thread but I havent really gotten an answer. Maybe Ill do some research later on it.[/quote]

In short yes, it is impossible that it is a gene mutation. Merle is a DOMINANT trait. Goo where are you to explain this?

definately a mix, not pure APBT.

about the designer mutts, just wanted to say that the labradoodle started out as a great "thing". A person in australia started mixing them to go a no shedding dog(poodle) with the brains of a assistant dog(lab)
for kids who were allergic to dogs but needed an assistance dog.
then ignorant BYB's and puppy mills started pumping out these designer mutts and making people believe they are a new breed, and sell them for hundreds and sometimes even thousands of dollars, and now they are mixing like every breed known to man.
It's really sickening :madgo:
what's really sick is you will find that the people who buy these mixes, think they have the best dog in the whole world, cause their dog is so smart and sweet....right...cause no other dog, especially purebreds, are smart and sweet....
and they find nothing wrong with the fact that they just supported a puppy mill or BYB and paid hundreds of dollars for a mutt that is going to most likely end up with some serious health problems from bad breeding...

My guess is that it'd be nearly impossible to be caused by a mutation, as from what I understand, true mutations often have other "bad" side effects, and these dogs appear completely normal aside from the merle pattern being present. It's also odd that they have only appeared only in lines of unscrupulous breeders (ie: no health testing on dogs, breeding only for color, etc), no merles have just "appeared" magically in any reputable kennel.

Merle breeders say that the gene has been hidden all these years, like the dilute gene that causes blue. The one key difference though is that the dilute gene CAN hide in lines because it is a recessive, and requires two "copies" in order to be expressed. Merle is dominant, and only requires one, therefore, if a dog has even one gene for the merle pattern, it will be merle. The only way a dog not to be merle is to not have the gene at all, in which case, it wouldn't be able to produce merle pups.

The link PitbullEmily gave is a good, not too complicated explanation of why the merle dogs are almost certainly not purebred APBTs.

Aside from the fact that merle isn't actually an APBT color, it brings other issues to the table. On the site mentioned in the OP, if you look on the "produced" page, there is a dog that looks like it's a double merle (a dog with two merle parents, so it gets a double dose of the gene). DAL could probably explain more about the defects that many double merles have, but in short, many are deaf due to lack of pigment, and it's also common for them to be blind, or even missing eyes. There have been cases of other deformities as well, but those are the most common as far as I know.