Dogomania

I am SOOO angry...and sad....

courtnek

As you know. Laurel is very timid, although much better than she used to be. As a part of her training, I take her to Petco to socialize her around people and other dogs. She is generally very standoffish, tale between legs, and scared, but once she warms up a little she's very good with other
dogs, and some people who dont approach her too heartily. Understand she is 100% better than she was, but still has some learning to do...

I took her in tonight, to ger some bones and stuff, and she started out as usual very scared and timid. She was starting to wam up, when one of the employes came up behind her and practically yelled "COOL DOG WHAT IS IT?" That scared the heebeegeebees outt her...she went tailetween legs, ears down, terrified...he then accused me of mistreating"WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER, WHY IS SHE SO SCARED???"

I tried to explain, he wouldnt listen...and now, everyone in the store is staring at me like I'm a cruel, heartless bitch...I was so upset I just left.
Poor Laurel was scared to death, with this guy yelling at me and frightening her...I cried the whole way home, then got mad and called the store and pretty much yelled my freaking head off...

The language was not pretty, which I now feel bad for....

I am so upset I am just shaking, with anger and sadness...those trips were helping her, now I dont know if I can go back....

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:

Guest Anonymous

Don't feel bad for letting your anger get the best of you. Maybe the employees at the pet store will learn a lesson about how to act around animals. He should have known better in the first place, not just for Laurel but every animal. That type of behavior could have scared any dog. Hopefully he'll be spoken to about it. I also agree with Pei, don't worry about what other people think. You know you're helping all the rest can go jump off a bridge.

That sucks. It's terrible that he tried to blame you. The kids that work there usually know next to nothing about animals anyway. I would follow up your call with a letter, especially if you remember the kids name. Someone needs to educate him about how to approach a strange dog.

Thanks. And I usually dont..really, I dont care what people think about me, but I was angry and sad that he accused me of doing something bad to her. I would never hurt an animal, you all know that. I rescued her because no one else would have. I am PROUD of that. I am PROUD of her, because with all of my stupid mistakes (never had a timid dog before) she is coming along really nicely. I was upset, and angry, that he scared her so badly in the first place (ruining my training session) and then accusing me of hurting her... and seeing her so scared and timid, I just, well, in all honesty, wanted to SMACK him upside the head and say "shut the #$%^
up, you're scaring my dog!!!" I didnt, I left, but I;m still thinking I should have......I was just so surprised...

:o

Courtnek I am so sorry that jerk upset you so much. We all know how much you have done for Laurel and how her life has improved 100% since living with you.

I agree with Kendalyn, write them a letter (it is what you are good at after all :wink: ) and explain how their insensitive staff member upset you so much. Also explain that all dogs are different and that some dogs have their issues and need to be treated accordingly.

Dear Petco East Dundee...

I adopted a dog from a Resuce Society, who has fear issues. I have been working with her to overcome them. One of her training sessions is to take her into Petco and let her mingle with people and pets. I have been doing this for 4 months..exposure in a normal pet store environment.

She is very fearful, but afer a ltttile while in the store she opens up and
gets friendly with pets, and then owners. She is Field Trialed, raised in a pack, and takes to animals sooner than humans. I have ben bringing her to this store for 4 months.

This last time I brought her in, she was just gettting acclimated when one of your employees came up behind her and yelled "COOL DOG! WHAT IS SHE!!" She went into complete fear mode...tail down, ears back..she was scared to death....When he saw that, he accusedme of mistreating her..

Since I have owned her she hasever been abused, and never willl be...
I got her with the fear, which I am trying to alleviate. I DONT appreciate your staff trying to tell me I have injured this dog, or are mistreating it.

Tell me, what does your staffknow about dogs AT ALL????
Since the answer is probably NOTHING I woiuld appreciate them shutting their yaps about sonething they dont understand, and know nothing about.

I will find another dog-friendly shop to take Laurel to, since yours is not
in her best interets..

Excellent! Though I would also mention that he was accusing you of mistreatment in a loud enough voice for several others in the store to hear and stare. This goes to show that not only does the employee probably know nothing about dogs they also have no idea on how to treat customers.

I would also say how upset you were. The fact that he made you cry is what really pissed me off.

its no wonder your upset, dont worry laurel is a great dog and your doing great with her jsut becuase some IDIOT doesnt know anything, doesnt mean youve failed or anythig!:d she will get better, just keep working. Its a good thing to give that guy ANOTHER peice of your mnd, he was completly inconciderate, why would he yell at all anywyaS??

Guest Anonymous

what jerks! glad you gave them a piece of your mind, and wrte a letter to them! jerks! same reason I REFUSE TO SHOP AT PETCO, i went in there with Cody asking about some training classes, and they flat out told me know they don't work with handicaped dogs.. i was like WTF just becuase he's deaf, i can garentee that he is 150% better then any dog you ah e in this stupid store.. cody and i then walked out and i refuse to step foot in petco again

What a shame....your doing the right thing writing a letter of complaint...
IMO, I think any one who has to work with dogs be it a grooming facility, boarding, petco etc. the employees should have some animal care courses under their belts and should have a knowledge of dogs...heck, if I thought every fearful dog which came into the boarding facility was being abused I'd have a long list! I don't think some people realize that not only can a dog become fearful due to not being socialized during the critial period of socialization....but, some pups are actually genetically programmed to be fearful...I have seen whole litters of Shepherd pups very timid and fearful from the day they open their eyes onward...and no amount of socialization can bring them around....for instance just yesterday a friend of mine has a litter of Shpherds which are now 4 weeks old....most pups are out going and playful and curious at this age...these pups hide when a stranger comes in and they stare at you and growl.
We also have many owners of Golden Retrievers which get very frustrated and sad as they have been accused from various people of abusing their dogs as well....these dogs had been socialized from the time the owner got them and went to puppy classes...but, the dog has a genetic disposition of being fearful...and I have had a Newfoundland dogs which is very fearful as well...it took me a few years to get her to be good in public places.
The funny thing is, I work at a vet clinic where we are the depo for the SPCA...we get the worst of the neglect & abuse cases for dogs and cats...I have rarely seen a severey abused dog turn fearful....they seem to be the ones wanting the attention and love...of course there are the fearful timid ones as well....but, most times the dogs and pups which get abused are the out going hard to control pups and dogs. We had a dog come in which had been beaten with a blunt object, her body was full of open wounds plus she had broken ribs from being beat....this abuse had been going on for quite some time...when we got her at the vet clinic she was very out going and loving. Just goes to show that most fearful dogs have never been abused...and some times the abused dogs are the ones which are more outgoing and loving :-?

Submit your lettter of complaint and advise the owners of PETCO
that ANY dog would have been startled having some one come up from behind and yelling :roll: some dogs may have reacted in a defensive mode and may have lunged at the offender...this is no way for an employee who works with animals to act.

My experience is that a calm, civilized, well worded letter of complaint will work wonders. Don't use profanity and lots of !!!!! Sending a letter that goes:

"Dear @#%@#%

I justed wanted to tell you to go #^%# yourself with a #^# in your @#$%#" tends to go straight in the trash.

Just write the store headquarters, send a copy to the store manager, stating something along the lines of:

"I am writing this letter to express my profound dissatisfaction with the manner that I, a regular Petco customer, and my pet, were treated by one of your employees...."

If you don't get the guy fired, you'll probably get a letter of apology and some freebies. You'd be surprised at how effective it can be, plus you'll feel alot better once you write all this stuff down and get it out of your system.

I agree with Malamum tell them just how upset you were and tell them how embarrassing it was for you.

Honestly Courtnek most of these a***holes don't know one end of a dog from the other (mind you Lannie once felt for a pekingese's anal glands and discovered she was squeazing it's nose :lol: ) you KNOW you are a good person,you KNOW you have done nothing wrong,please don't let the little tosspot get to you. :wink:

Nice letter Courtnek. :D I'm sorry that u had to go through something like that but u and everyone else here know that u would never abuse Laurel. Some people are just plain ignorant. :roll: :-?

[quote]but, some pups are actually genetically programmed to be fearful...[/quote]

Yes, our vet thinks that this is the case with Cracker. It's a very hard thing to deal with, from the time she was a little puppy she's always been very fearful and shy with other people. :(

[quote]"Dear @#%@#%

I justed wanted to tell you to go #^%# yourself with a #^# in your @#$%#"[/quote]
:roflt:

I feel better already. I emailed my letter (with many typo corrections) to Petco's webpage. I completely forgot that I have a Petco card, with all of the information on it for them to contact me. I signed my name and address, and they looked me up and called me at work today. Apparently one of the other employees saw the incident and went to get the manager, but I had left by the time he came out....

Now for the sad part. It turns out the kid (named Gary) is partially deaf, and has no idea how loud he talks. so he wasnt meaning to yell. They told me he is really good with the animals that they have there, the birds and turtles, feeds the fish, holds the bunnies....and altho they didnt say it, I got the impression he is slightly mentally deficient as well. So now how bad did *I* feel for that letter? Pretty bad....they said they were very sorry, and asked if I could please accept their apologies, etc....

Then they asked me if I could bring Laurel back in and introduce her gently
to Gary, so that he would understand that not all scared dogs are abused.
What could I say? Now I feel sorrier for the kid then Laurel....So I'm going
in Saturday to meet Gary with Laurel. They are going to give me free dog food and bones, which I didnt ask for, and would have gone anyway, but I guess they feel that's what they can do to make amends. I know they're leaving alot out of this story about Gary...and now I am curious to find out more.

:o :o

Guest Mutts4Me

Aww, what a weird situation this has turned out to be. I'm very glad that the kid wasn't just a major jerk, and that he has a chance to learn something new :)

Well, at least you know the kid didn't mean any harm. I hope it goes well when you and Laurel meet him. For both he and Laurel's sake!

It was very good of Petco to get back with you and try and make the situation right. Not a lot of companies would have gone to the trouble. :)

You are right, it sounds like the kid may be a little mentally challenged. I have a neighbor who is legally blind and deaf (she reads lips!) and she has learned to speak. Her volume control is just fine. Of course she has been doing it for a while so maybe she is better at it. I think that generally deaf people who have learned to speak also learn volume control though.

The more I think about it, the more I remember, and the more I realize
I was angry and not thinking clearly (a bad trait on my part) the more I realize this kid may be slightly Down's Syndrome...He didnt have the physical signs, the slanted eyes and lisping talk, but my best friends brother is a no-sign Down's Syndrom child. He has a job in the real world, but they are very gentle souls. I can see how he might have thought I was abusing her because of her fear. My friend said her brother is the same way...he wants no fear, no pain, no one, even animals should be hurt....
It's part of the way they think. I told her this story, and the first thing she said is "He may be slightly Down's Katy - the signs arent always apparent..."

So I will go meet him, with my friends teaching on what to look for. There are signs, if you know what they are...I didnt.

And if he is a Down's Syndrome child, Laurel will be good for him. She is as gentle as silk, once past her fear....

She is gentle and loving as well...maybe they can get over their fears together...