Dogomania

Dumb questions about your dog from the general public

Ok since I was inspired by SPG's post, what sort of dumb or silly questions have you been asked about your dog by people?

I used to get asked if my dog Ivan, a very well(read muscular and thickly) built Dalmatian was part Rottie. "Well he's too wide to be purebred."

" What's wrong with your Dalmatian? His spots are the wrong color."
me--- He is a liver spotted Dalmatian.
"No they are SUPPOSED to be black spotted and his are brown. He can't be purebred, he HAS to be part Chocolate lab."

I know I've got a couple more,but let's see what you guys have while I remember.

Oh yeah , I loved it when I was asked "Are you sure?"

Conar has also been mistaken for a Great Pyrenese. He may be bigger than the average Sammy, but he's still shaped like one, even if he doesn't bother to exert the effort to carry his tail up unless he is running, he is L-A-Z-Y. ( I usually refer to him as my dog shaped throw rug. :lol: )

Guest Anonymous

I got this stupid lady one time to walk up to me at petsmart and say what kind of dog his he? husky? i said nope, he's purebred Australian Shepherd, he's just a dilute Blue merle..

<her> well he has 1 blue eye 1 green eye he has to have some huskey in him
<me> NO mam' i'm sorry he's pure bred Aussie, i have his papers
<her> WELL the only dogs i know to have 2 differnet eye colors are husky and husky mixes so he has to be mixed.
<me> look lady we can sit and agruge until we are blue in the face, he's a blue merle assuie, i know that and everyone else knows that but if you want tot hink he's husky so be it, i mean he has a tail right> see it? oh nope youd otn cuse he doesn't have one.. Husky's have tails right?

<her> WELL I NEVER.... walked off
some people are stupid!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Guest Anonymous

okay, here was my fave of Hazel...

Imagine this scene. I'm standing baring myself, ya know, legs spread to brace myself and arms pulled back tight on the leash, on the other end a lunging snarling with muzzel on Hazel... the person then walks SO close that I have to practiclly pull her into my lap and the person says "does your dog bite?" :evil: :roll: NO! That's her way of saying she loves you! :roll: :roll:

Guest Anonymous

My most often asked questions seem to be about Bentley and Roxie, both Saints. Does he have a saddle? Is that a horse? And is Roxie (puppy) Bentley's puppy. NO, NO, NO. I had one guy ask me if I wanted to stud Bentley out to his Saint. I said "Sir, he has HD (at the time I thought he did)" He says well you can't tell, I said he's been fixed. Then walked off. I also always have people ask me if I breed them. NO NO NO NO NO! Drives me insane!

I just realized that the people locally apparently think I'm the local puppy farm. We have a big ceiling to floor window in the living room that faces the private drive that goes through here. All my dogs like to pile up in that window for a nap, to watch squirrels, whatever. I can't count how many people have stopped here to ask when we would have puppies for sale. Most are interested in Poodles (primarily from my Toy, but have had several inquiries about the Standards) and some would like one o' dem little fuzzy face dawgs (I'm sure they mean my Lhasas). I don't get it. No one has EVER seen a litter of puppies here in the 7 years I've lived here :-?. Most annoying is people who send their children around... "my mama said to ask you if you gotz some puppies to get rid of..." :x I have had several breeding requests... "my uncle's neighbor's workmate's ex-wife's preacher's nephew has a really neat looking little Poodlish dawg... they're just looking for something to breed it with. shore would make some purdy dawgs and think of the money you can make!" Um, no, but thanks for thinking of me to harrass about it. I've had people call me stupid to my face for having any of them fixed. I might as well tell these people that I had a winning lottery ticket and tossed it in the garbage. I don't think they could be any more outraged.

Then there's the neighbor behind me who is sure we are living like slobs over here, wading through dog doody, sharing bowls with them, whatever. I've seen her in her backyard (adjacent to mine) taking a head count and shaking her head in disgust. What she doesn't know is that I've seen the company she keeps. I'll take the dogs, thank you. Besides, tossing a dog in my swimming pool has been THE best way to keep neighbors from sending their kids to me to entertain with pool time (not in this lifetime, or the next).

One other thing... why do people assume that ALL white Standard Poodles are show dogs and that's only the ones that recognize that they are indeed Poodles and not long haired Pit Bulls? :-?

People will argue with me that Buck is a purebred lab all the time! I have no idea why they are so sure he is a purebred. He has a big white splotch on his chest and a little white mark on his bottom lip. Plus he's not really big enough to be a lab. He weighs about 50 pounds. They seem to want to make me think that I really hit the jackpot by finding a purebred lab. :roll: I always tell him that he is definately a mutt.

When Jesse was a pup and still had a puppy coat, the hair around his ears and neck was fluffy and kinda stuck out in different directions at times. I was asked one day if I had his hair cut to look like that.
I've been asked if he is a wolf, a collie mix, a lab mix, etc.
One person TOLD me, "I've never seen a black lab with such long hair!" After rehinging my jaw, told them they still hadn't.
Brittany has light colored eyes, I've been asked if she is blind, even as she chases Candy or runs after the ball at the park.
I have had several people ask me out old my 'puppy' is, they think Candy is a Lab pup. When I say almost 4 years, I swear they look like they do not believe I have a clue.
One question I love, when people see all 3 dogs with me, "So which one is top dog?" I smile sweetly and say 'I am' 8)

Funny Nea, I'd think that you'd get "Is he a black Golden Retriever?" I actually heard that at the dog show I was at this summer. The sporting group was up and some woman pointed and said " Oh look honey it's a black Golden. We should get one." This was as the dog was standing next to the sign that said "Flat Coated Retriever." :roll:

Well just the other day I was outside with zebra on our non-fenced lawn and he is trying to poo but a bunch of kids come racing down the street on scooters and bike. Well zebra is v. afraid of scooters, bikes, skateboards so I pull him back about 15 ft. from the sidewalk. The kids stop when they see him and are swinging there damn scooters back and forth and zebra runs next to me tail between his legs and starts groweling. The kids are like "oh a dog! Is he friendly? I wanna pet him" And start comming towards him. EEK!!! Damn kids have no respect for property around here, let me tell you! SO they finally leave after I tell them that no they can not pet him and no he is not friendly right now.

We usually take zebra to petsmart on the weekend and people are always like:

them: Oh she is so cute!
me: it's a HE. and yes HE is cute.
them: can I pet her
me: Yes you can pet him!
them: SHe is so soft!
me: It's a HE!!!
them: It's a boy?!
:x :roll:

And we get: "Your ______ is so beautiful."

So far I have had-
Newfie (ummm ok! :o )
Pit Bull (because pits have long hair you know, :wink: )
Boxer (I can't even explain this one)
Cocker Spaniel (maybe, if a cocker was 80 lbs!)

Off the topic of dogs, we have had a vet tech think our rabbit was a cat! Never went back to that vet ever again! :o

I used to tell people that Rinny (who was a GSD X but looked like a purebred Shepherd in his younger days) was half dingo and see them run a mile away from him :lol:

People think BK is a Dalmatian... people say to their kids and vice versa, "look at the spotty dog, he's a Dalmatian like in the movies isn't he" :roll: never mind that his back is almost solid black... and people still say "aww what a cute puppy"- he is almost nine years old!!!! So I tell them how old he is and people don't believe me. Whatever.

"Is that a pit bull?" With all them wrinkles and that meaty mouth sure looks like one.

"That's a shi tzu, right?" Yep, starts with "sh", might as well be shi tzu :lol:

"this isn't a pure bred, right?" Me: "yes, she's a shar-pei." "But she doesn't have any wrinkles on her body--is she gonna grow more?" Me: "They're not supposed to have wrinkles all over--what you saw in pictures are probably puppies." "Are you sure?"

"You have to clean her wrinkles with q-tips, you know" Foolish me, I've just been bathing her like any other dog!

To her: "why do you look so worried?" And they think they're being original when I'm hearing this for the 100th time!

[quote name='hillside']Funny Nea, I'd think that you'd get "Is he a black Golden Retriever?" I actually heard that at the dog show I was at this summer. The sporting group was up and some woman pointed and said " Oh look honey it's a black Golden. We should get one." This was as the dog was standing next to the sign that said "Flat Coated Retriever." :roll:[/quote]
:o Its hard to believe someone could be that stupid! Or perhaps blind? :-?

So far no ones thought he was a black golden... But its probably just a matter of time :roll: . This doens't have anything to do with the topic, but are there black golden retrievers like there are yellow flatties?

Geez, I could write for days about the questions people have asked me. Here's a couple great ones: Is she (Kira) part dalmation? (Cause of the spots on her legs.)
One guy kept arguing with me that Kira was a Siberian Husky. He said "No, no, no I am CERTAIN she is a husky. I used to own 5 of them!" My response was "Are you sure you have never owned an Akita?"
Here's another, "Hey do you want to breed your pibull?" My answer: "No, his temperament is questionable, and he is neutered." His answer, "But we could make so much money breeding him." :agrue:

[quote name='Michele']I get: what kind of dog is that?
me: a chihuahua
them: are you sure? I never seen a white chihuahua before?
me: i'm sure........

rolls eyes...hehe[/quote]

Oh, that reminds me...

My own Chi is tri colored, black, white and a few tan points. I've had sooooooo many people tell me he can't be a Chi as they only come in solid colors and then some of these people think they can only be tan. These are the people who think I'm off my rocker. What gets me is that NOBODY seems to notice his rather large size (about 15 lbs when the breed standard calls for 6 or below). If they want to be so smart and point out his bad breeding, at least point out the fact that he is huge instead of harping on his color which is perfectly acceptable. :P

...and if one more person tells me to poke a stick in Fred's butt and use him for a mop, I'm going to pop a vein, I swear. Fred is a cream colored, almost white, Lhasa Apso with full coat to the floor. Yes, yes, doG YES, he looks like a mop! For crying out loud, please come up with something more original. Hey, you're white, let me poke a stick in YOUR butt and call you a mop. *mutter* Didn't bug me the first gazillion times, but does get a bit old.

[quote name='kendalyn']I'm actually amazed at how many people here have been approached about breeding their dogs. Who goes up to a complete stranger and asks something like that??? People are nuts! :roll:[/quote]

Sadly, it happens all the time. I promise you that I hear it at least once a week (several of my dogs accompany me everywhere including work). I've had requests to breed my Toy Poodle to everything from other Poodles to Chihuahuas and Shih Tzus, Lhasa Apsos, Pomeranians, and I can't even remember what all. These can be people who just see them in my window at home, or just come up to me at a gas station. Very few people ask about registration, qualifications, or any of that. It's ALWAYS "think of the money..." or "sure would be some cute puppies."

I have been approached about my Standards, too. Actually, I've had a handful of people ask about breeding them to their Labs ever since something or other came on tv telling about how much people are willing to spend on these dogs. Truly dismaying.

I've also had requests to breed Devin... nevermind his bad knees, hip dysplasia, allergies and questionable temperament. People just don't care. :(