Dogomania

morality problem...

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the frustrating thing here is that you basically shot down any kind of advice, even though you specifically asked for it.

No, I really don't think I would feel as much compassion as you do for your aunt. Anyone who could do that to their pet has something seriously wrong. My boyfriend had an old Cocker Spaniel when I met him. The dog had skin and teeth problems and did smell bad. So they bathed him regularly, gave him medicine and brushed his teeth. Even when he still smelled kind of bad, they loved him anyway. The dog had accidents in the house more frequently. They understood that this can be expected with an aging dog, so they simply cleaned up the messes. And when the dog got to be in pain and unhappy, they put him down humanely. That's how you take care of an old dog. Your aunt is guilty of severe neglect and consequently animal abuse. There is no other way around it.

You may not have treated your dog that way, but you are in a position to help this one. You have nagged your aunt about it and that's good. That's doing something. Could you have done more? yes, definately. That's something that you'll have to square with.

Guess what? many people have old and even young dogs that are blind and deaf. The reason she bites is probably because she had no contact with humans for the past how many years. It's not your fault, but if you can get a ride there to poison her, why can't you get a ride to the vets as well?

I would not be defending my aunt like you are now, I KNOW I wouldn't because one of my aunt's had a dog, a beagle who never got walked and sat outside all day alone. He wasen't in bad condition, but he was getting there. I flat-out told her thats not the way a dog should live, and to do something or find a home for him. (She actually listened to me, a teenager and found him a home though I don't know where.) Just because your related does not mean an animal should have to suffer because you don't want to start a family feud.

Sexxy: I must say I agree with Michelle. You say you want help, but when you get it you come up with things that stop you from doing anything. It's like you just want people telling you what you want instead of the truth!
The truth beeing that you can do something about it wich doesn't mean driving there yourself. You could call to the RSPCA or what ever you call it (don't remember now the english word for the people who go to people's homes if they get complains about pets beeing mistreated and who then take the pet to the vet and rehome it or if nothing is to be done - put it to sleep AT THE VET). You can't say there's nothing you can do! There are PLENTY of things you can do. Including calling the Police and telling them about this neglect! And there is nothing you can say to make me think that your aunt loves this dog. Absolutelu, positively NOTHING! If someone loves a pet, they don't just shove it outside in the cold when things get rough! If you call the police, you can stay anonomous. This means that your aunt will never know who called to them.
You say your parents don't care about the situation and don't want to drive you there - what kind of people would let this go on?! This is like taking an 80-year-old person and putting it outside in the cold because he or she is old!! It's the exacly same thing!! Would they allow that to go on? Probabely not.
You want help and you're getting it! You wanted the truth - you're getting it!
You say you've done everything you can do and that there isn't anything more to do. You are WRONG! There are so, so, SO many things you can do! I've told you several things already (wich you haven't said anything about btw).

And I agree with Lucky Chaos on the biting thing. The first thing that popped into my head was that the dog has not got enough human contact. And again the n word... it has been NEGLECTED!

Sorry to double post...

[quote]I never said I would have someone drive me back out there to do it, I only told you how far it was and that no one was willing...I had actually planned on mailing the medication to her..it's not that hard to crush up some pills and put it in some canned dog food. (Should it have been made clear that it would be ok...that was my original question if you can sort through all this nonsense and see that) [/quote]

If she couldn't humanely kill the dog a few years ago at the vet do you think she could kill her this way?

im sorry that you are in this situation SexxieRacerChik but geez if the dog needs to be put down, poisonous medicaments is sure as hell NOT the way!!!! this dog needs to be brought to a vet!! you are saying how serious this is, well then the dog needs to be brought to a vet and let them handle it..but you cant come here and ask us if you should put the dog down by poisoning her!! we're glad you came here for our help and that was the right thing to do but if you really want to do the right thing your going to have to bring the dog to the vet.

If you claim to be such an animal lover and your aunt is too, then for heavens sake ask someone who has a car to drive you the milage with the dog in a cage. Failing that if your aunt can't stick a car drive of less than an hour for 15 years of unjudgmental companionship, then get in touch with the local dog warden, most dog wardens will euthanase or have a resident vet. You have plenty of options open to you, but think how uncomfortable this poor dog feels. She deserves dignity, so give it to her and dont drag yourself down to the level of doing a botched up posioning job where she will die slowly and in pain, with every gasping breath wrecking her whole little body, as her heart struggles to beat, and she is wildly looking into her owners eyes, asking for help.

Dog forbid.. but if it came to my wee Meg... I would give her all the dignity that she deserves because she has served me well, and owes me nothing.

[quote name='SexxieRacerChik']Please...yes I could get a ride anywhere "I" need to go...but getting someone to put a dog in their car that DOESN'T WANT TO is a different story...Jesus...open your mind and think for a second. Just because YOU are willing to do something doesn't means that SOMEONE ELSE is...my God.[/quote]
And I'm sure it's so very hard to find someone who cares. Put an add in the local newspaper and I'm sure you will get replies! MANY of them. You might just be surprised at how many care!!

[quote name='SexxieRacerChik']I haven't shot any of your suggestions down(except the tailpipe idea and I just don't think I could do that)..I only gave you reasons why I haven't already done it (I'm sorry that I had an accident before I found out this was going on, and I'm sorry that the rest of my family isn't as concerned about an animals welfare enough to help like I am, and I'm sorry that you can't see past your feelings for this animal to see how situations out of your hand are difficult to handle). I cannot make someone bring an animal into their OWN home against their will, nor can I make them put that animal in THEIR car against their will. Making my animals do things they don't want to do, just like a child, might be in my control..but making a grown adult is a different story.[/quote]
Mmmhm... Aaand picking up a phone and calling to the local animal organization or the police is so very, very difficult to do. I'm sure you don't have a phone, or that you don't know the number and that your dog ate the phonebook so you can't search for it or...
It sounds to me like you are just coming up with excuses so you DON'T have to do anything. Sounds to me like you just want us to tell you that you are doing the right thing.
It's the same thing here as it is in let's say a murder case with a suspect and somebody who witnessed it and didn't tell about it. So... if you witness a murder (I know this has nothing to do with dogs, but it's an example that works) does that make YOU a murderer? No. But if you witness a murder and you don't do anything about it - you get jailtime! Think about that.

[quote name='SexxieRacerChik']I never said I would have someone drive me back out there to do it, I only told you how far it was and that no one was willing...I had actually planned on mailing the medication to her..it's not that hard to crush up some pills and put it in some canned dog food. (Should it have been made clear that it would be ok...that was my original question if you can sort through all this nonsense and see that)[/quote]
[b]WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?![/b] Mailing pills in a can of food, so that the owner doesn't know what you are doing and that suddenly the dog gets cramps, starts to scream and twitch untill the dog dies?! THAT is a humaine way of going then?! AND I DON'T THINK THE DOG NEEDS TO BE PUT DOWN!! HELL, THE DOG HAS ONLY COMMITTED THE CRIME OF [b]BEEING OLD!![/b]

[quote name='SexxieRacerChik'][b]You need to realize that alot of people do not regard animals in the same regard that you or I may.[/b] To some people they are animals..a souless creature God put here for our enjoyment. Not everyone feels as ademently about them as others. I for one cannot change that, or help it for that fact. People realize that animals were once outside creatures and that we brought them into our homes for OUR enjoyment purposes...alot of people feel animals are just fine living outdoors..Iguess she thought that..I dunno, she hasn't ever answered me why she didn't just have her put down instead)[/quote]
...And thoose people should never own a dog, take "care" of a dog, talk about getting a dog or let alone LOOK at a dog!

[quote name='SexxieRacerChik']While I DO NOT agree with this state of mind...I do understand that some people do think like this. Trust me...I haven't just been "nagging" her I have been barrading her about it. Trying to make her feel bad, telling her how horrible of a person she is for it, letting her know that she as a Christian(and she really likes to let people know this) [b]should feel ashamed [/b]for treating one of God's creatures, that she took responsibility for, is suffering like she is.[/quote]
Here you have been doing the right thing, but that's not all you can do! CALL THE POLICE! CALL THE ANIMAL ORGANIZATION IN THE AREA!! If this doesn't work (wich I think will to 100%) the hire a van and get that driver to drive you to the vet to get the dog taken care of! After baths and Tender Love and Care that the dog probabely never has gotten, then put it to sleep if there is nothing else to do. First get a good check up on the dog!!

[quote name='SexxieRacerChik']The way some people look at things and the way you might aren't always the same..and getting your point across to someone who obviously has made their mind up..is a next to impossible thing to do. A person who is trying to do the right thing will always try to view what a wrong person's point of view is, try to understand why they are doing/thinking liek they are, try to change that point of view, or atleast try to bring across to the person WHY they are thought wrong.[/quote]
Or try to call the police!

[quote name='SexxieRacerChik']Critisize me all you want...it only show's what type person you are..that you are unwilling to look at facts that cannot be changed or diferent people's points of view, no matter how misconstrued they may be.[/quote]
It can be changed. BY PICKING UP THE PHONE!! My God, is that so difficult?! :roll:

[quote name='SexxieRacerChik']Yes I sleep in a warm bed at night..along with MY dogs. I take excellent care of MY animals..I cannot keep every animal out of plight. And will not make myself feel bad for something I had no control over.[/quote]
You HAVE controll over it! There's nothing you can say to me to make me believe otherwise!

[quote name='SexxieRacerChik']And obviously a few of you missed the reply concerning the Animal control. We don't have the RSPCA or the ASPCA. Our "animal control" consists of 1 facility and that facility picks up strays from the city..not the country where she lives. I wish we HAD one of the type animal facilities that other states have. I watch Animal Cops and think..if we had this type agency I would call them on several people I know. But we don't. Unless someone has "physically" harmed an animal/person out in public (basically translating into harming humans surrounding the site where the incident occurred) the police will not come out. And when I say "physically harmed" I mean violence...guns/knives/ect.
You may not believe me, but animal abuse control in this state is seriously lacking...as horrible as it sounds..they really just DON'T care.[/quote]
Ha! There's no way I believe this crap! Sorry, but I don't! The Animal Organization might be far away, but you'd be surprized on how long distances they work. And I'm sure you haven't picked up the phone and asked about it. This is appauling and horrible!
You can't make me think that the police don't want to do anything. I'd go higher and higher and further and further untill I'd get someone to listen and do something about it.

Not to mention I stated several posts above..that my uncle promised me when he came in tommorrow that Saturday morning he would rent a truck and have this taken care of...I think mostly because they are tired of me calling and harrassing them over it.[/quote]

[quote]She deserves dignity, so give it to her and dont drag yourself down to the level of doing a botched up posioning job where she will die slowly and in pain, with every gasping breath wrecking her whole little body, as her heart struggles to beat, and she is wildly looking into her owners eyes, asking for help.

Dog forbid.. but if it came to my wee Meg... I would give her all the dignity that she deserves because she has served me well, and owes me nothing.[/quote]

I nearly started crying reading that, I could picture her... :o :cry:

Here's a viable solution if the rental car thing doesn't work out. Tell me where you are in Alabama and I'll come get the dog, myself. I'm in GA and am willing to travel. I only ask that your aunt make out a check [b]to the vet clinic[/b] I'll be taking the dog to for the euthanasia and disposal of the body. I'll gladly relay you the number so that she can contact the vet herself to ensure that I'm not ripping her off. The time and gas is on me. They also offer cremation services if she's interested. If need be, I'll cover the euthanasia, but I think the aunt could AT LEAST invest that much in her longtime companion's journey to the afterlife.

Let me know.

I believe SRC about there being horrible municipal animal control in Alabama. In some southern states people really do have different ideas about dogs than we do in other parts of the country. I have family in the south and they were a little shocked when they moved there about how people treated their dogs and how little animal control there was. When I found Buck in Kentucky people near where I found him and the other pups said that they were "just redneck dogs" and they don't need a home. Their animal shelter only keeps dogs 3 days before shooting them with a gun. That would never happen here, but down there it does.

Guest Mutts4Me

I just discovered this thread.

I don't drive. If I discovered a relative I didn't see very often was in a similar situation, would Dogo attack me, too? Because I couldn't drive over there and take the dog myself?

I don't understand why you're placing blame on SRC? Have you ever been in a helpless situation before? Where you wanted to do something but were physically unable? Because that's where she is. She can't drive, and she doesn't have the required credit card (I don't have one either) to rent a car. And she doesn't have anyone to turn to. So she turned to you for help, and you accused her of all sorts of things without even taking the time to read the whole story.

I know a lot of people didn't take the time to read entire posts because they kept asking the same questions that had already been answered, and making the same accusations which had already been responded too. She just found out about the situation, yet you're treating her like she visits weekly and has seen the slow decline of the dog's health. She never defended her aunt, she merely asked that you not waste time attacking her, because you couldn't say anything she hadn't already thought.

I'm horrified. I've been in a helpless sitatution involving an animal twice before. Once, I found a baby raccon who'd been abandonned by its mommy, and I stayed up all night to keep it alive overnight, but no one would come get it except one organization who'd euthanize it. I finally found someone who'd take it, but I had to bring it there, and a taxi (yes, I was going to pay for a taxi) wouldn't let me bring it. Luckily, I had a friend who loves animals as much as myself and was willing to drive us to where we needed to go. A second time, my pet fish had cancer, and I needed to get him to a vet before he died, but the closest vet that would treat fish was 45 minutes away and not on a bus route. Luckily, that same friend was willing to drive us to the vet, and my fish is still alive today, one year later. But what if that friend hadn't been there? Would I have been able to help either of them? Would it have been my fault if they'd died?

It's AWFUL that that dog is in that situation, but it's the owner's fault, not SRC's. I'm sorry so many people got so nasty. I understand why folks are so angry, I really do, but I think the anger is directed in the wrong place. I hope the car rental works out, and the poor pup is put out of its misery.

Actually, M4m, while I admittedly didn't thoroughly read every post, I think that, in general, people were dismayed and angered by the aunt's actions, or rather INactions. I think the frustration with SRC stems from the fact that she was so defensive of the aunt's lack of responsibility and was seemingly trying to justify it. I don't think anyone blames SRC personally (then again, I said I didn't read every post), but I have to admit that I have a problem with people who try to justify cruelty. Right or wrong, that's my perception.

To answer your question and speaking only for myself, I'd be just as dismayed if it were you who had a relative involved in such cruelty and you adamantly insisted that the relative had good intentions and was a really good person except for that little dog neglect thing. While I truly know what it's like to be helpless and I can certainly sympathize, I just don't understand how someone could defend cruelty. At least that's the problem [u]I[/u] have with it. Then again, I don't think I was nasty and venomous in stating my opinion on how I perceive things. I can't speak for others. I guess I'm just saying I think I understand where the frustration is coming from and why some of it was directed at SRC, though it could have perhaps been a little more palatable.

Actually, I have severed contact with siblings because of their irresponsibility and cruelty in other matters. I hold no one to a higher standard than I keep, myself.

Still, my offer to help stands.

wow, i must admit that this thread has definitely changed my mind about some people who seem to be "regulars" around here.

a lot of finger pointing going on, and i also think a lot of ignorance about how animal control issues are handled in other countries and in states other than the one certain people happen to live in and never seem to have left.

instead of berating SRC, folks, be a little more openminded and try to research how things may be different from where you are sitting comfortably in your chair, typing away, attacking someone for things you can't really relate to. especially when someone points out that their mobility is limited due to an accident.

do you think in a state where thousands of racing greyhounds are treated like cattle and get killed off once they become "useless" (and this doesn't even have to be performed by a vet), a state that has a shelter euthanasia rate of over 40 animals per 1000 people per year, i don't doubt that it is difficult to get help, and especially not if you live in a very rural area.

so many of you are always quick to point out how important it is to treat animals humanely, and how positive approaches are so much more effective than negative ones - why don't you take your advice to heart and see that it applies just as much to your fellow humans? honey instead of vinegar, know what i mean?

SRC, if you read this and you still need help, please give me an email address i can pass on to a friend of mine who lives in alabama and might be able to help out, or at the very least maybe put you in contact with someone who can.

That makes two viable offers of help just on this board. One from an old *ahem* grumpy regular and one from a relative newcomer. I'm still waiting to hear that the arrangements that were tentatively planned worked out. I've been checking in frequently to see any updates. No idea why, but this has bugged me for two days.

TDG, I guess I'm more of a "where there's a will, there's a way" mindset. I also live in a very rural area in a southern state that is lacking in animal welfare. I've been homeless, rideless and such in the past, but I don't equate that with powerless. I guess I'll have to respectfully disagree. I still hold no grudge to SRC and I [b]don't[/b] blame her personally, but I have a huge problem with the aunt. Still, I can't help feeling like I must have missed some really bad stuff in past posts. I don't think I have the energy to go back and read it all now.

Also, keep in mind that many of us have been around here quite a while and have heard countless hard luck stories. Most of them were merely pity parties where the participant cried helpless and powerless in situations brought on by themselves. I guess when you've heard it so long and told so many different ways and the victims are ultimately those that truly CAN'T represent themselves, it does tend to make folks cynical and bitter. I'm not saying that's the case here, but just offering insight. We're all human and passions can run mighty high. I'll be the first to come forward and apologize if I appeared to be part of a lynch mob. I'm the least clique-ish person imaginable and have p*ssed off many regs along the way by expressing disagreement with them as well (dang, I really want to go back and read what I missed.... maybe not).

Still, my primary concern here is for this poor dog. That is bugging the crap out of me.

I'm still waiting to hear and now there are TWO valid offers of help.

horsefeathers, i do see your point and understand perfectly.

but i am also capable of giving someone the benefit of the doubt, especially in an area where people don't really care much about animal welfare. i've been in places where "animal control" of an entire county consists of a single person, who has to lock up the shelter facility in order to respond to a call. and i can relate to difficulties living with people who do not put enough importance in the welfare of an animal to help with a situation that is out of hand. heck, i've seen a dog almost getting strangled in the chain of another, having to watch helplessly since the owner had threatened to shoot anyone who tried to set foot on his (unfenced) property even just to give those poor, starved animals some fresh water.

[b]you[/b] were the only person who actually stepped forward and offered a helping hand, instead of just berating SRC in the worst possible way and without giving her the courtesy of actually [b]reading[/b] her posts from beginning to end, otherwise the same questions and accusations wouldn't have popped up again, and again, and again. it even went far enough to make her want to stop posting altogether.

i might be a newbie on dogomania, but i'm an internet veteran of almost 10 years, active on many different message boards and mailing lists and moderator of a forum community with over 150,000 users. on most of them, outright personal attacks on someone like those that occurred in this thread would have resulted in stern warnings from moderators, if not even the locking of the thread. it is fine to disagreee with someone's opinions, but never okay to stoop down to ad hominem insults.

what purpose does it serve to beat someone who is already down? SRC seemed pretty upset and desperate to me, which is the reason she started this thread in the first place. what happened to her aunt's dog it is not her fault and i do not doubt that (as she said herself) if she had found out earlier about the situation, and had been in better shape to do something, she would have.

shouldn't we all be willing to give a person the benefit of the doubt more often, rather than being rude and outright attacking them? or do some people need to make themselves feel better by treating someone that way? one thing everyone should take away from this thread is: pay attention to what is happening around you. if your neighbor, or someone further down your street (or even just in the area you frequent a lot) is neglecting their pets, don't just get upset but [b]do[/b] something about it. and if you have money, or items or even just some free time to donate, help out local shelters and rescues. don't just point fingers.

this whole thread just upset me so much because some folks seem to be forgetting that people deserve to be treated with respect too - not just dogs.