Dogomania

morality problem...

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I don't think a bullet is cruel compared to how the dog has to live now, but definatley I would rather take the dog to the vet to be euthanized. How come your Aunt can't take her to the vet? Maybe you could get the vet to come to you and euthanize the dog at home? If you can't ride in the car with her maybe you could just get the needle from the vet and bring it home. Poor dog. :cry:

That is a sad, difficult problem. :( I'm glad you are trying to help the poor dog, I don't think I'd ever be able to put down a pet of any sort. I can't even kill a pet fish, my brothers dispose of them when they are sick. Is it at all possible that someone could wash her off before the trip? Maybe suck some very strong candy like Vicks or something to partly block out the smell while she's being cleaned.

I really think it's a bad idea to try poisoning the dog with medications. If it goes wrong her death could be very painful. I've seen people who have tried to commit suicide by taking pills. It's not always a slow, painless death.

Borrow your aunt's car and tough it out. Seriously, it'd be like 40 minutes. You can handle it for that long to put this dog out of it's misery. If you have to, crank up the heat, put on your long underwear, and go there with the window down. I know about cold, I live in Michigan and when Buck is in the car I always have a window down for him because he likes it. I just crank up the heat.

This is not really some thing I would ordinarily suggest to any one...but, it sounds like your in a real big bind...I can also emphasize with you...when an animal is in that much agony...death would be a welcome relief.
Now in the old days what they used to do...and this is only if you can borrow a car for a few awhile...put the dog in a garbage bag and let the car engine run...put the opening of the garbage bag on the tail pipe of the car and seal it some how so the air cannot escape...this is just like euthanizing and animal and is a painless easy way to go. This is the way alot of people back in the day before vets used to handle euthanizing their pets...at least the owners who cared enough and didn't want the dog to suffer. Others just put the animals in a bag and threw them into a lake weighted down with rocks...now that is cruel.
I know I will get flamed for what I just suggested...but, the pain of suffering as that poor dog is suffering...it's just isnt worth letting the dog go through any more agony...if its that stinky and dirty and has been out side for a few years now...the poor dog is probably infested with maggots...this is some thing I really hate seeing...at the vet clinic we put down quite a few out door dogs which had not been groomed in years....after they were euthanized the maggots started falling out of their butts...very very sad...can you imagine the pain the poor dog was going through being eaten alive by maggots. :cry:
well, SexxieRacerChik...I wish you the best and I hope you make the right decision for this poor dog..its a hard difficult thing to go through with...even if it isnt your own dog.

If there is one thing this dog deserves is to be HUMANELY put down. No not with Tylenol or shooting it. Or whatever lame ideas go threw your head. You or your aunt need to step up and do the RIGHT thing and put this poor suffering dog down.

And I'm sorry but 50 miles to drive in a car with a smelly dog isn't that bad. It's not the dogs fault that it smells. The dog can't give it's self a bath now can it? So what, this poor dog has to suffer because of someone elses neglect.

And no Vet can come to your aunts property? And there is no animal control or humane society that will put this dog down the right way?

And what are you and your aunt going to do when this dog dies on her property? That dog is going to smell 100 times worse when it is dead and it will be horrible to have to bury a dog that smells and is leaking it's water and bodily fluids everywhere.

[quote]My aunt has a elderly cocker spaniel, probably about 15 yrs old or so) and the dog is in POOR shape. She has gone blind and deaf and has been kept outside for several years now because of her loss of bladder/bowel control. My aunt is a very nice and loving person. And loves animals almost as much as I do. [color=red] Well that must not be a whole lot then. I'd hate to see what she'd do to something she didn't like. I am pretty sure if you love something you don't abuse it. What happens when your aunt gets old and loses her bladder control? Are you going to chain HER to a tree and make her sit in her own filth day in and day out?[/color] But she has let this poor dog's condition get WAY out of hand.

I would take her and do it myself but as of current my car is still in the shop from a wreck I had and I couldn't drive it if I had it. The dog smells so bad even putting her in a crate wouldn't really work..it would make you throw up if confined in a car with her. I mean its BAD. [color=red] Get over your own selfish squimishness. Hang your head out the window and puke on the side of the road if need be. YOU would only have to suffer for an hour or so, what about this poor dog, suffering every minute of it's pitiful life? [/color] And the closest vet to my aunt is about 50 miles away..that's a long way to drive with a dog that smells putrid and it's too cold to ride with the windows down. [color=red] So it's too cold to ride with the windows down, but not too cold to have the poor, sick dog outside 24/7? Somehow that doesn't make sense.[/color]
No one will uthanize the dog the old fashion way (bullet) and I sure couldn't shoot her. So my question is...How can I humanely put her down..and be sure it will work and not cause her further pain/suffering?

I have thought about giving her a bunch of Tylonol Pm's crushed and put into canned dog food. Isn't tylonol poisonous to dogs? I figure the pm ones would make her go to sleep, and she is in such bad shape that the drug itself would end her life.
This can't wait much longer...I don't think she's to the point of dying..[color=red] You are right she isn't to the point of dying. She IS dying, slowly and painfully and unloved, simply because she aged as ALL living creatures do. [/color] but it's just plain sad to know this dog is suffering like this. [color=red] Yes it IS sad. And it's even more sad that a bunch of people on the internet care more about what happens to this dog than her "caretaker" ( and boy do I use that term lightly). [/color] At one point my aunt said she was bleeding out her rectum, but that has since subsided.
I know what you must be thinking of my aunt at this point..but please don't call her foul names and such..because that is just not right [color=red] Well you know what? It's "just not right' to allow this sort of situation to occur in the first place. You brought this whole situation up on a public message board, If you didn't want us to comment badly, you shouldn't have given us the material. [/color] because she is not here to defend herself and I certainly do not want anyone talking bad about her. [color=red] I'll tell you what's not right: The fact that she is abusing her dog by allowing her to suffer so horribly. Who is defending that poor animal? [/color] I know she should/could have handled this better but the fact is she didn't and now it needs to be dealt with in the best way possible. I just need some honest answers or advice on how to do this properly. [color=red] and honest answers you shall recieve. [/color]

My aunt can't handle being in the car she starts to gag. [color=red] I'm sickened and gagging thinking about how cruel this whole situation is. [/color] You gag just standing 10 ft from her. [color=red] So smear some vics vaporub( you know like cops do when they have to deal with dead bodies) under your nose and buck up and do the right thing. Quiet whining about the smell and figure something out. If you don't have any friends, what about talking to the vet you used to work for to see of he will go on a mercy mission?[/color]
Plus I'm telling you..she smell's worse then anything you've EVER smelled before in your life. [color=red] I doubt it.[/color]
I'm trying to talk my aunt into it...but trying to talk someone who drives a brand new caddillac into putting a dog that smells like this one into her car is a battle I've been fighting for 2 weeks now. [color=red] So she can afford to drive a brand new Cadillac but cannot properly care for her dog? WTF? If she has that much money, she can afford to have a vet come out and humanely end her dog's life. And probably bribe him for not turning her in for animal abuse. Or have the damn car cleaned out after the drive. [/color] I didn't know the dog had gotten SO bad. My grandmother has been staying ther after falling and breaking her hip...and I went up and while there saw the dog thru the window...it broke my heart.
I am afraid of it going wrong [color=red] Going? It's already long gone wrong. [/color] that's why I asked...I really just don't know what to do....my hands are almost tied as to what I can do about it.

Whoever would throw an animal in a lake to drown is horrible... [color=red] whoever would let an animal suffer such as this dog has been is worse.[/color] it takes about 2 minutes to drown..what a horribe way to die. [color=red] 2 minutes of pain is making you sad? What about the the days/weeks/months/years that this dog has gone through?[/color]
[/quote]

Get this dog to a vet or a vet to her, by any means neccessary right now. Don't condone her being abused any longer. That is the only humane solution. Don't give her a drug overdose, they aren't as painfree and quick as you think. Tell your aunt that you'll report her for animal abuse if she doesn't take her in right now. Maybe that will get her a$$ in gear. I doubt it, but since she does not give a whit about her dog's welfare, maybe she'll act when her own is threatened.

SexxieRacerChik, I really understand what you are going through...I have been working in the dog related feild for about 20 years...I have seen alot worse than the situation your Aunt is in...there are alot of people also who have very old very sick dogs who "love" their dogs too much but are too selfess to put the dogs down...I swear at times they leave them at the boarding facility I also work at hoping they will die there so they won't have to deal with it...I have had 3 dogs die...not at the boarding facility but either on the way to the vets or when they have gotten to the vets. I have also helped out at the vet clinic I work at and have helped put a few dogs down...not that I am a tech...I am just the receptionist there...but, as I mentioned earlier some of those dogs stank, some of them had a horrible rotting smell...and yes, I couldn't imagine bringing them in in any thing but an open backed pick up truck.
I don't think think your Aunt is a bad person....perhaps just trying to ignore the truth or the horrible situation the dog is in...she is not the only person who has done this.
Is there any way you can get a hold of a crate...line the bottom with garbage bags and old blankets...put the dog inside the crate and cover the entire crate with a blanket...this may keep some of the odors down...and I would rent the car... :wink: before you return the car clean it with a good enzyme cleaner which will obsorb the odors.

You said it was too cold to drive with the windows down? I checked and tomorrow in Birmingham it's going to be sunny and 63 degrees. Is that really too cold to have the windows open? I know if it were like that in Michigan right now people would be out sunbathing and wearing shorts! :lol:

You must have some friends that would be willing to drive you, or if not, you'll have to make your aunt. The rental car was a good idea if you really can't put her in the new car. Your aunt could drive the rental and you could sit in the back with the dog.

If you really can't get your aunt to go, call a rescue or shelter and ask if someone from there could drive the rental, since you can't drive. I'm sure they would figure out a way to help your aunt's dog die peacefully.

Just out of curiousity, since you work at a vet, the vet knows you right? Are you sure he wouldn't give you the drugs to put her down yourself?

Actually, Hillside has always been one of the most objective posters here, not afraid to share an opinion whether it's a popular opinion or not. Anyone can stand in the amen corner and nod in agreement. I'm glad she doesn't. She'd also be the first person to come to your defense in a situation she saw fit to, whether it was the popular opinion or not. I'm so sorry you feel she is personally attacking you. I happen to agree with every word of her post. Not only that the dog deserves better treatment, but to have allowed it to get this bad... matted, smelling so bad that apparently no one on earth can stand to get near her- that is outright longterm neglect. I have no compassion for rich aunt with the new Cadillac, regardless of how well intentioned she appears to be. The road to h*ll is paved with good intentions. I just can't understand someone who could have a dog that many years and then just basically abandon it in the twilight of its life. I don't think anyone is blaming YOU for letting the dog get in such bad shape, but it is hard to hear someone justifying this type of neglect. There is no justification. The situation described is absolutely deplorable and disgusting.

Whatever it takes, get the dog to a vet. Walk her, carry her, call a friend, steal the poor misguided aunt's new Caddy, hire someone else to drive, just get it done, smell be dam*ed. She can't be THAT far from civilization and cut off from the rest of the world that there's absolutely no one who could help.

I think that they might have been a much better solution to this problem had it been addressed when the dog became incontinent because switching an indoor dog to a dog on a chain in its old age is cruel but now that you are in this position there is something you aught to consider first. What is legal where you are? I know here if you killed your dog in many of the ways suggested you could certainly be charged of course you could also be charged for not treating or euthanizing the animal properly in the condition you have described.

I do agree that this situation is deplorable.
I do value the opinions of Michelle and Hillside, I think that people have a responsibility to speak up when they see something wrong being done, staying silent is complicity. They have voiced those concerns and objections and that is good and has been done.
Right now I would just like to see the best possible thing (that we can get SRC and her aunt to do) done for this dog as fast as possible.
So the rental car thing has been suggested, fine. See how fast you can get that poor creature cared for SRC, it sounds like your aunt might balk a bit but be firm, it is the right thing to do.

It has never been a personal attack. I have not been trying to start arguements. I am not following you from post to post. In fact, someone else told me about this thread, I virtually never read the posts in this section. If this post had been made by any other member my response would have been identical.
No, as a matter of fact, I don't think my opinion is the only one that is correct. Just because I choose to speak up, doesn't mean I have any sort of "I'm right, everyone else is wrong" attitude. I came to this forum to learn and lend my help as I could. I don't take that to any sort of extreme. I don't bandy personal insults about. I will, on the other hand, speak up when I feel I need to regardless of what popular opinion may be. I do that in real life, so why wouldn't I carry that on to the internet?What is extreme, though,is the ghastly state this dog is in.

I don't begrudge your aunt for having "nice things". However, if she can afford nice things, she can afford to care for her dog. Period, no excuses. No ifs ands or buts. NONE.
I realize that for the most part, euthanasia for humans is not allowed, but comparing people to dogs in such a manner is ridiculous. It IS legal to euthanize an animal and far less cruel than allowing an animal to sit around in its own waste in the elements, rotting from the inside out most likely. Not ending an animal's suffering because you(used hypothetically) are too attached and attributing human qualities to them is wrong. They aren't little people in fursuits, they are animals, they trust you to take care of them. When you get a pet, you make a commitment to care for them for life and to be realistic sometimes that means ending it. Sad, but true. It may not be your dog, but if you really do care about it, it is your responsibilty as a human "adult" ( and family member)to help it.

You have accused us of being closed minded and in way you are right. We are certainly close minded as far as animal abuse is concerned. It is 100% intolerable, no matter what form it takes. You come here and tell us about a dog that is suffering horribly and shoot down virtually every suggestion we offer. Did you not expect a bunch of dog lovers to get up in arms and passionate over this? We can't do anything about this situation, which lends a certain bit of fuel to the fire, but you can. It sickens me to to read about this abuse and to hear that nothing has been done for this dog in YEARS and I'm sure that I can safely claim that on everyone here's behalf.

You said that if she were your dog you would have put her down after her bladder failed YEARS ago. Why the heck didn't you try to help her before it got this out of hand?

Once again, find a way to put this dog humanely out of her misery! Beg, plead, cajole, threaten, do whatever it takes. If your friend's don't care about the dog, don't they care that it is something that is important to you? Give them gas money, buy them lunch and pay for them to have their car cleaned, or better yet, have your aunt do it.

[size=6]Stop this abuse! [/size]

Can I send a suggestion?
Take the dog inside to your bathroom so that the poor thing can get warm first. Then wash her so she gets clean and mabye even blow dry her. After this put a baby's diaper on her and take her to the vet. You don't get the problem with the smell, the urinating or anything like that. Cuddle and pet her for a while before you go and continue doing so at the vet untill she falls asleep.
I think it's the most humaine thing you can do.
I understand if you can't drive, but get someone else to take you. If you do it this way, the dog can be in your lap and feel safe the entire way.

(sorry if I missed something, as I didn't read all of the posts... yet... *continues reading*)

Ok, I read every single post and every single word and boy and I mad! :evil:

I totally agree to 100% to what Hillside said! If it would be Ben or Bella, I would walk through hell and back to get them the medical treatment they needed. I would have NEVER let it go that far! I know I don't have money to spare for anything, but that isn't anything, it's MY BABY!
Sell the damned Caddillac and get the dog some help for God's sake! A car shouldn't be a priority! A car isn't alive, it can't feel pain and suffering - A DOG CAN!!
I'm SO furious over here!

That dog NEEDS help! For God's sake, I'll take the plain over there, get the dog and come back here to Finland. I'll wash it clean, show it some love and if I would see there's nothing to be done, I would go to the vet to the other side of the world if I had to and get it put down humainly!
I would never put a dog down in any other way then at the vet's. NO EXCUSES! Money is a poor excuse when it comes to the welfare of a loved dog. Smell is even worse!! So what the dog smells?! If the dog would have been properly taken care of it wouldn't smell! I honistly believe in the fact that what you do now might come and bite you in the butt later and this is a perfect example!

Your aunt should have taken care of the dog the dog's entire life, not just chain it to the tree outside! That is SICK!!!! :evil:

Aaargh! I'm so steamed up over here!! I could go on forever about this right now and it would just get more and more ugly from the point it is now.
You don't want anyone saying anything bad about your aunt - then why did you come here? Here you find out the truth, it's another thing if you are ready to handle the truth!
The truth is that you're aunt has neglected her dog - SEVERELY! There is NO excuse for that kind of a neglect!!

I still think the same as I did before - wash the dog and put a diaper on it! Take the dog to the vet in that brand new Caddillac and then trash the car if you can't get the smell out and buy a new one!
I would sell my soul to the devil itself to get my dogs the best care possible if something like this would happen to them. And I swear to you all that that will NEVER EVER happen to my dogs!! And that shouldn't have happend to that dog either!

The dog smells? Tough! If it would have been taken care of, it wouldn't smell now! Your aunt has nobody to blaim but HERSELF!

I'm with Hillside too. This is just sick, stop sugar coating it this is horrible animal abuse! And yes, your aunt is to blame. Not being able to take the dog to be euthinized cause you love it is one thing, but shoving an old, blind, deaf dog outside to rot like yesterday's garbage bacause it dosen't have bladder control is sickening. The life this poor animal is forced to live is sickening. Don't poison the poor thing cause you can't stand the smell, if you aunt loved this dog an ounce she would get in that car and end its suffering! Stick it in the bathtup if its that bad! if it snaps, get a muzzle! Or just tell your aunt to suck it up and do one favor for the dog that loved her no matter how much she abused it!!

Although I would never usually suggest putting a dog in the flatbed of a pickup, rent a truck, get a crate, strap it down, pile blankets in so the poor thing is moderately comfortable and warm, and help this dog.

I have one question, if you can't get within 10 feet of the dog, how do you give it any attention? I'm sorrybut your aunt is NO animal lover. :evil:

[quote name='Lucky Chaos']I have one question, if you can't get within 10 feet of the dog, how do you give it any attention? I'm sorrybut your aunt is NO animal lover. :evil:[/quote]
I'm absolutely with you on this! And I would allso want to know the anwser to that question!

your aunt CANNOT love the dog that much if her answer to incontinance was to make the dog outside only. Poisoning a dog to death is not the way to go. Many, many things can go wrong. However, anti freeze is known to be lethal to a dog. A small amount can do it, and dogs and cats like the taste. (It's sweet) I am not condoning or approving of poisoning an animal...I would just like to know that an animal is going quickly and without pain. (Although I imagine poisoning is not a pleasant feeling?) IF you would like to have a vet do it, get someone with a truck to drive you--put the dog in a crate or cross tie in the bed of the truck...you in cab, riding, the truck owner, driving, and the dog in the back, in a crate, not smelling up the inside of a vehicle, and the vet can even step outside and euthanize the dog.

Good Luck, I guess.

Hehe... Michele, do you think it would have been better to put all of those messages into one? 8)
You have a very good point though and I totally agree! I can not understand how you SexxyRacerChick can say that you are an animal lover when you let this go on. And I do agree with Michele with the "when there's a will there's a way". I have in my head a million ways to get that dog out of there (but not necceccarely put to sleep, because I still think there can be done more then just that for this dog). I can totally understand that the dog is scared and frightend when it's picked up because of the deafness and the blindness. Still that proves a very serious point to me - it doesn't trust his/her owner (is it a he or a she? Am I blind or have I missed that?). Just remember that the dog has three more sences: smell, feel and taste.
I'll say one more thing. If that was my dog, it would wear a diaper that would be changed several times a day. No mess, no cleaning up from the floors, no smell (besides when you have to wash the dog's bottom like you do with babies) and the dog can [i]feel[/i] warm and mabye even [i]smell[/i] or why not [i]taste[/i] something good.
If I was you, I would take that dog out of there no matter what! And I personally wouldn't whine about the smell!
And yes, I too think you are a troll!