Dogomania

I think I did something GOOD!!

courtnek

I took Laurel to the vet, because her ears are bothering her and although I've been cleaning them, they are slightly infected. The vet recognized her! She had been adopted out before and returned, because of her
timidity...

her first words were "OH MY GOD!! IT'S LAUREL!!" then she said that the previous owners gave her back because she was so timid, her breath was
HORRIBLE, and she was constantly shaking her head and crying when she scratched her ears.

Her breath IS horrible, her gums are infected. I have been soaking rawhide in water to soften it up a little for her to chew on while I'm here, because in its hard state it makes her gums bleed. That seems to work. Her breath is getting better little by litle, and her gums are receding from puffy red to normal..her ears I have cleaned a zillion times, but she needed antibiotics in the end, and a complete ear flush. Her timidity is better although still there to some extent, she is now letting my son feed her and pet her, although she still bays when he enters the room. I actually think she is protecting me - she is very attached to me.

Her peripheral vision is bad, which could account for her growling when someone comes by and she cant really see them. The vet was amazed...
said she never thought Laurel would get a home with all her issues, and what had I done to make her this good? All I could say was that I loved her, and did what was necessary for her health (ears and teeth).
She laughed and said...."yea, right..." but really, that's all I've done!!
I mean I worked with her. helped her, got her Rescue Remedy, and
have been socializing her...aside from the Rescue Remedy I thought this was normal dog upbringing...apparently the vet thought this was
extraordinary... are people REALLY this bad with their dogs? that scares me....no wonder the Pit's and Rotties and Dobies have such bad names....
all I was doing was what I thought should be done with ANY dog...nothing extraordinary...

Two thumbs up and hugs to you!!!! People give up or euth. their dogs for the stupidest reasons, like the dog pee's in the house. :roll:
I would be rich if I had a dime for every time someone asked if I was going to keep Magic because she is dog aggressive.
She is absolutly perfect (just dog aggressive and I can handle it) I love her to death and I wouldn't even give her up over my dead body - I'd have to come back as an evil spirit to make sure she gets the best which she desires.
Teeth and ear problems are commom. Clean their ears and clean their teeth.
It's so wonderful you guys found eachother. You're someone that can give her the life she needs full of love.
Good for you! Thanks for sharing and keep us updated please! :wink:

[quote]Great job! It's nice to get some recognition for all your hard work It's awesome that your vet remembered her!
[/quote]

she's kinda hard to forget..she has this weird eye marking...brown circles around her eyes that make her look sad all the time...most Foxhounds dont have those marking around their eyes. They said she is purebred, but not registered because she doesnt "fit" the standards for a FH...
because of the eye markings...I think that's why I took her..she does look sad all the time. I'm just a sucker for a hard luck case, I guess...

Most of my rescues have been hard luck cases...fosters, too...

must just be me...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Mutts4Me

Of course you did a good thing :)

It is sad how imprsessed people can get about the littlest things (to us). I get amazement from people when I talk about all the efforts of catching my past two kitties, and getting Sasha adapted into our homes. People really just expect to get a pet, toss it into their house, feed it now and then, and have a good dog/cat.

Yes owners CAN be that bad :(

Courtnek I am wondering whether Rio could have a sight problem now,he can chase a ball and such like but people will 'spook' him sometimes,do you think it is possible ?
He is going to the vets tomorrow for a thorough exam so I will mention this to the vet.

Give yourself a pat on the back hun :wink:

[quote]Courtnek I am wondering whether Rio could have a sight problem now,he can chase a ball and such like but people will 'spook' him sometimes,do you think it is possible ?[/quote]

yea I do. Laurel can chase a ball and follow a scent, and if someone approachers her directly she is hesitant, but ok. However, if they come up behind or from the side she will growl until she can either see them clearly, or tell by their scent who they are. so maybe rio has a peripheral issue too.....if you put your hands toward his eyes at the side, does he notice it right away? be behind him so he cant see you doing it.

good luck with Rio.